Leveling Cooking is so hard

in Crafting

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

I’ve 400 in Armorcrafting, Jeweller, Leatherworks, and recently trying to level up cooking. I had not much problem leveling the other crafts, but I found it hard going for cooking. the problem is with getting the recipes.

The Discovery method is so awkward, I have tons of food mats appearing in the interface, and I have to “guess” by trial and error clicking each one for various combination, hoping to hit upon a new recipe – it is so tedious! The auto-unlocked recipe base on level is so limited, and grey out so fast. I’m not sure where else to get recipes.

The only orange recipes left which I can get some XP are the rare dyes, and the mats are so expensive and difficult to farm (Yam anyone?). Can any good chef give me some advice please?

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’d actually argue that Chef is the EASIEST crafting discipline to level up. There are so many different recipes that you can easily gain levels just by crafting one of each different recipe and never touching it again.

Some chefs enjoy the discovery process of putting various ingredients into the pot and seeing if it makes anything. Many cooking recipes mirror real life dishes, so use those as a starting point. If you don’t mind spoilers, you can also look up the Wiki for a list of all the different types of cooking recipes. Sort it by Cooking level to create a kind of “checklist”.

in Crafting

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Leveling crafting in GW2 requires us to use the TP because ingredients drop at such a low rate, making it annoying rather then fun. For cooking, use the guide listed below because its the least expensive way:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/Skye-Marin-s-Cooking-Guide-Oct-22/first#post1065644

in Crafting

Posted by: peterpat.8196

peterpat.8196

Chef is the crafting profession I enjoyed the most. It’s not put these 2 parts and an inscription together and get a weapon/armor. It’s fun, even at 400 to figure out new recipes. If you don’t like it, buy the stuff and make your way to 400 (to get the title or the gift you seem to desire).
About the drop rate, I explored the world, and I bought nothing of the TP for cooking. It’s just fine if you want to have fun, it’s an nice addition. But if you need it for something and just want to hurry, it might be hard, indeed.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I’ve 400 in Armorcrafting, Jeweller, Leatherworks, and recently trying to level up cooking. I had not much problem leveling the other crafts, but I found it hard going for cooking. the problem is with getting the recipes.

The Discovery method is so awkward, I have tons of food mats appearing in the interface, and I have to “guess” by trial and error clicking each one for various combination, hoping to hit upon a new recipe – it is so tedious! The auto-unlocked recipe base on level is so limited, and grey out so fast. I’m not sure where else to get recipes.

The only orange recipes left which I can get some XP are the rare dyes, and the mats are so expensive and difficult to farm (Yam anyone?). Can any good chef give me some advice please?

You need to follow a cooking guide to level cooking at any acceptable pace.

There are just far too many possible combinations of food items out there to have any reasonable success with discoveries. You’re lucky enough to have 2 items that would actually give you experience if only you could figure out what the 3rd or 4th ingredient was.

Cooking is completely bloated with close to 100 different ingredients, not counting all the intermediate ingredients.

Just google: Cooking Guide GW2 and look for a more recent ones and just follow those recipes. At least that way you’ll actually get somewhere.

in Crafting

Posted by: xanthic.9478

xanthic.9478

Can any good chef give me some advice please?

Before I wrote my crafting guide scripts(see sig), I would pull up the recipes on http://gw2spidy.com and find the cheapest one I could make each 25 point tier. Everything you can make in cooking counts as an item too so technically you can get 40 points per recipe.

Always Current Crafting Guides: http://gw2crafts.net
Updated every 20 minutes based on current TP prices.

in Crafting

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

lolwut?

It costs usually under 2g if you straight buy EVERYTHING without using karma stuff.

Look up the Dynamic Crafting Guide and you’ll be done in under 20 minutes.

edit: I see the man himself posted it above; seriously, use it, it’s great.