My opinion on the Mystic forge

in Crafting

Posted by: Badget.9185

Badget.9185

To set the general tone of this post id like to ask, “what in gods name were they thinking?”

I am an avid MMO player and a PvP fanatic so you can imagine my delight to find a game with a combat interface that could rival WoWs. Cool abilities and as far as I can tell, more balanced in many ways than WoW’s PvP, though I haven’t determined if this is just because the survivability of each profession is very adequate. However, I became profoundly disappointed when I encountered one particular element of GW2, and I bet you’ve guessed it. The Mystic Forge.

1) totally non instinctual, and is exceedingly ambiguous
2) doesn’t provide a tangible goal to work towards
3) tutorials are a joke. full stop.

In addition, GW2 has no monthly subscription, SO THERE IS NO NEED TO SLOW THE PROGRESSION OF PLAYERS FOR YOUR OWN EVIL CORPORATE ENDS! (cough blizz..)

Stop trying to compete with them in areas that are meaningless just so you can say “heyyy were a liiiiil different, see…” you guys did an amazing job with the huge variety of professions and gear classes. Freedom to experiment with these alone would be enough to keep players intrigued long enough to the point where blizz inevitably out performs you fools yet again (LETS GO TITAN)

Final word: let your own achievements speak for themselves, make the interface more user friendly for new players, and don’t try to be TOO original; you’ll make more $$

thx bye forever GW2

in Crafting

Posted by: Badget.9185

Badget.9185

Forgot to include this, but if I’m wrong you should totally call me out. If you don’t think MF was a total wiff on GW2s part and you actually PREFER this method as a means to acquire new gear (than a traditional vendor) feel free to state your case.

in Crafting

Posted by: Pirate.4631

Pirate.4631

tl;dr I didn’t get a precursor. I quit.

Saved everyone 2 minutes.

in Crafting

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

For someone who has played many other MMOs and RPGs you obviously haven’t played Diablo?

Let me explain. The GW2 devs originally made Diablo 2. In Diablo 2 you had this marvelous thing called the Horadric Cube. Most recipes in the Horadric Cube were based on a gamble for very, very expensive items. If lucky, you’d get a huge return on investment, if unlucky, you wouldn’t get squat.

The Mystic Forge has the exact same function. Unless you have a puppyload of gold to burn, DO NOT touch it. The Mystic Forge will be on its best once the game is around a year old and people have the disposible income to start gambling big time. In a year, it’ll be the most popular feature in the game for veterans.

Do not forget that the Horadric Cube had a few easy well known cheaper recipes too, mainly regarding upgrading gems and runes and making upgrades. See a pattern?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Crafting

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

So wait, let’s say I read up on a MF recipe here on the forums, if I put those items inside there is a chance that Zomorros is just going to gobble them up and give me a big wet burp back for my trouble?

If so, is there a way to torture mystical genies in this game?

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Crafting

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

When you are approaching something new, a new phone, a new washing machine, a new in game feature, you should always look for a guide, otherwise you can broke your new toy.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Crafting

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Forgot to include this, but if I’m wrong you should totally call me out. If you don’t think MF was a total wiff on GW2s part and you actually PREFER this method as a means to acquire new gear (than a traditional vendor) feel free to state your case.

I don’t need to state my case because MF isn’t a way to acquire new gear for me. I don’t care about my looks in pvp so I just make do with whatever I get and what I don’t need instead of destroying it I put it in the MF with a chance to get something I might like (but not need).
Simmilar in PvE / WvW, I don’t need the MF, I buy my gear with karma. I see it more as a materials sink in a year or so when I start to have stacks of every material in game, don’t have any use for the gold so don’t need to sell them on TP and just throw them in MF and again maybe I get something I like (but don’t need).

in Crafting

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

I have yet to try and acquire gear from MF. That’s what crafting, karma, dungeon tokens, drops/chest etc are for. MF is for fluff and upgrades.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

So wait, let’s say I read up on a MF recipe here on the forums, if I put those items inside there is a chance that Zomorros is just going to gobble them up and give me a big wet burp back for my trouble?

If so, is there a way to torture mystical genies in this game?

For the first part: Some recipies have fixed yields, some have random (within certain parameter) yields. So it vaires. If you put in the materials to make a Rusttooth, you will get a Rusttooth. If you put in the materials for a level 80 exotic, you will get a level 80 exotic—of course, the exact parameters of that exotic are subject to a degree of randomness, however, the recipie only guaranteed level and rarity. Similarly if you put in the materials to upgrade t5 materials to t6 materials, you will get the t6 materials, but the exact number is randomly determined.

For the second: I’m looking forward to the addition of a djinn waterboarding mini-game.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]