Stop Precursor Elitism

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

The Precursor situation is not moving forward because it has a lot of defenders, their common argument being to save your money and buy it. It’s legendary, you have to work harder for it. Making it easier to obtain will make the weapons feel less legendary.

Precursors ARE a problem. For those of you telling others to save up money for a precursor: WHAT IF THERE ARE NONE LEFT?

Precursors are a problem not only because of awful RNG, but also because the “safe” way to get a precursor (i.e. spend a ton of money on it) depends on the amount of precursors currently existing in the game. So what if I save up 600g +? There are no more Dawns left. Why are you still telling me to save? I will have all the materials and all the resources. I will be able to make a legendary, so why don’t I have one?

Don’t flip back on your argument and tell me to try the RNG in the forge. You obviously didn’t believe in the MF when you told me to save money, you shouldn’t believe in it now just so you can be “right”.

Don’t tell me that only a small percentage of the population should have the weapon either. I will take your elitism further and say there should only be ONE hero of Tyria and ONE of each weapon. But there isn’t. There are millions of heroes of Tyria, that became heroes and commanders of the Pact because they paid their dues and completed the story. Just like I did. I will pay my dues, collect my mats, and save my money.

The truth about legendaries is that they will always be legendary. Just like your hero if you beat the game. But there are millions of other heroes, who accomplished the same feats you did. How does that make sense? It’s a game. It’s an MMORPG to be specific. There’s a time when you have to use your imagination. In my game, I am the only commander. I’m the one who united Destiny’s Edge. I’m the one who united the Orders. And if I craft Sunrise, that will be the only Sunrise in my character’s world. In GW1, my character was the only one to acquire his powerful weapons.

Drop the elitism and pick up some sense. It is not legendary to buy the sword. Excalibur was never bought. Mjolnir was never bought. Gungnir, the Trident, the Lightning Bolt and Kusanagi were never bought. Powerful weapons from other fiction like the Master Sword, Frostmourne, The Heavenly Sword, Anduril, Ice, and The Soul Reaver were not bought. They all had history. They all required challenges and danger and adventure to get to. Buying or Mystic Forging a precursor is not “Legendary” its “Deus Ex Machina”.

Precursors ARE a problem. What is wrong with Anet implementing a scavenger hunt quest for a precursor? How is the precursor being accessible at the back of a dangerous cavern, guarded by a powerful creature not more legendary than this current system? Is it because you want to look cool? If so, grow up. There are people playing this game who are as good a player as you or better, have as much resources and as much commitment to making these weapons. But the market is dry, and gear accessibility should not have to depend on a market, especially if this gear is so highly demanded. The time and effort and skill in making a legendary are not the problem. The problem is that precursors are not accessible

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Mad.1932

Mad.1932

about the supply, there is a huge supply. The problem is there are exploiters that filled theyre banks with dusk and dawns when it was possible to obtain them for nearly nothing and now can control the market forever. All ANet has to do is Add a quest that requires the 3 final gifts to start to obtain the precursor and it would fix the whole mess

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Izuna.5307

Izuna.5307

about the supply, there is a huge supply. The problem is there are exploiters that filled theyre banks with dusk and dawns when it was possible to obtain them for nearly nothing and now can control the market forever. All ANet has to do is Add a quest that requires the 3 final gifts to start to obtain the precursor and it would fix the whole mess

not exploiters more like business people who knows how to flip

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Just implement the quest and make the precursors SoA. Everyone is happy.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

My take on it is that precursors should have been as common as dirt from day 1. They should never have been special at all.

All legendary weapons start life as a normal lump of wood, metal and leather. It is what its wielder makes it. The journey to converting that pointy bit of common steel into Dawn (for example – I’m after the bows personally) should have what made the weapon legendary in name and legendary in reality.

Yes we should be collecting all that stuff for the gifts and it should be hard or expensive to do, but the edge should be that you should be taking time to do it. This could easily be achieved if you could only suffuse your weapon with the gift at a specific time of the year at a specific location.

Like the Gift of Light can only be infused into your weapon at summer solstice (or some other appropriate lore time) at the Shrine of Melandru after doing a short personal storyline. The ability to do it should be available for a whole week – to give people adequate and varied playtime to achieve it and then that’s it. Tough luck. You have to wait for another 12 months.

Each time you infuse one of the 4 gifts into your weapon, it changes visually and gets a bit stronger.

That way, the acquisition of legendaries could be spaced out instead of people nearly killing themselves grinding 24/7 to get theirs within a month of the game going live and then pricing 99% of people out of the market.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

@op your right, everything I did so far, I did it without money and TP.

I grind my brains out until I got all the bits and pieces this weekend I finish all my loadestones and so far I got gift of mastery and gift of twilight. Now I work my way to gift of fortune. Worked for 3 months over this crap coz I got work and just few hours a day to play, but I’m ok with this 3 gifts, even if they are a pain to do them, because I know what to do, how many things I got left to do and so on. I got control over it.

what I hate is incertitudine, that precursor crap have “a” chance. Its no defence over this. I hate that “a”.

That scavenger hunt is a greath ideea but is also a twist to this. Anet coud set up a huge scavenger hunt just to shut you up… one thing to do is get 500 items who got “a” chance to drop from some mobs, set the drop for 0.000000001% and we will be on square one again. that item will cost 100g and round and round we go.

If you complain then Anet will reply something along the line: you wanted scavenger hunt… now you got it, so stfu and grind.

I will probably finish my gift of fortune… eventualy, then stop coz what ever was in my power I did it all

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Bravo OP.

Funny how it’s mostly the same people with the same old arguments defending the current broken system wherever they can. Makes you wonder about a few things… Maybe they got lucky in Karka event, exploited in the early days, are mega-rich TP power traders or maybe they are just plain ignorant.

What they don’t get is:
1. Nobody wants the precursors “handed to them” as they claim. We want to earn it. What is the point if you just get something for nothing? That is why we are playing an MMO, for kitten’s sake.
2. Most sensible people who complain about precursors already understand that Anet cannot just go in and remove the need for the mystic toilet – the economy will collapse if people are not flushing thousands of items down it every day. However, this is a situation Anet created and there have been numerous ideas and suggestions around keeping the item sink in place while adding progression towards precursors for the unlucky ones.

Oh, and don’t expect any comment from Anet about this. Like many other areas of the game where players have voiced their concern… it is blatantly being ignored.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Just make one in the Mystic Forge. It’s not that hard. Just keep throwing lv 80 Rares of the weapon type you want, and a Precursor will pop out eventually.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

The supply is tiny. You have maybe a few hundred precursors, spread that out across several hundred thousand players, see?

Precursors are not a problem. People who feel they should be guaranteed one are.

You are not guaranteed to have means of acquiring a legendary, nor should you ever be. All anyone should be guaranteed of is the chance to get one if they play the game.

Guess what – we already have that. The only issue I have with the current system is that it is too impersonal and boring. But I definitely do not want to see precursors being handed out either, even though I have no legendary.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Just make one in the Mystic Forge. It’s not that hard. Just keep throwing lv 80 Rares of the weapon type you want, and a Precursor will pop out eventually.

Not necessarily true at all.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

What they don’t get is:
1. Nobody wants the precursors “handed to them” as they claim. We want to earn it. What is the point if you just get something for nothing? That is why we are playing an MMO, for kitten’s sake.

Earn it how exactly? Think about it for a minute. If you are guaranteed a precursor after an X amount of effort, then those are being grossly devalued if that X is anything sensible.

If ANet makes it so that you have to grind for four years minimum to get one, then people would complain.

If ANet makes a solo, instanced skill challenge so difficult that only a tiny percentage of people can complete it, then people would complain.

Bottom line is, whatever ANet does in the future, they will keep the legendaries rare (and people will complain).
Either via RNG, insane grinding (unlikely), or impossible skill challenges, doesn’t matter. They will keep them rare or might as well just recolor them to orange, slap them on karma vendors and be done with it.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Acquiring a precursor through the MF is already insane grinding unless you are very lucky. I mean where do you get all those rares to throw in? Either from running dungeons for exotics(which are anywhere from 200-390 tokens) or farming mats to make rares or farm gold to buy rares off the TP. Regardless, unless you are just doing 1 try a day, it will require you grind. And how the hell can legendaries become more devalued than they already are? I mean for christ’s sake gold sellers sell em as well as being able to buy em off the TP.

And the only reason legendaries are kinda rare now is the precursor. Pretty much anyone who even semi tries can have the 3 gifts done in 4 months time easily. And i’d argue that they are even rare as it is. I see at least 2 or 3 Twilight and Sunrise a day, and not from the same people. Seems kinda common imo.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

Acquiring a precursor through the MF is already insane grinding unless you are very lucky. I mean where do you get all those rares to throw in? Either from running dungeons for exotics(which are anywhere from 200-390 tokens) or farming mats to make rares or farm gold to buy rares off the TP. Regardless, unless you are just doing 1 try a day, it will require you grind. And how the hell can legendaries become more devalued than they already are? I mean for christ’s sake gold sellers sell em as well as being able to buy em off the TP.

Believe me, they can. As you said, the only thing preventing further devaluation is the precursors not being readily available after only a few months of grinding. But guess what – right now they totally are. Grind gold and get one… easy.

My personal opinion is that the precursors should be:

1. Account bound on acquire (no TP listing possible)
2. Awarded for completing an extremely difficult, multi-tiered, multi-skillset challenge. Something only a select few can accomplish via gaming skill. And I mean only a few. Like 1 in 300 people or something like that
3. Available via really, really low RNG as an alternative, because having luck in the world just makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I can guarantee you people would be complaining ten times as much as they do now though.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: SpiderPIG.4150

SpiderPIG.4150

Perhaps, along with that quest idea to obtain a precursor (while having three gifts as a prerequisite), At the end of the quest you should be able to offer these and the weapon you get to a shrine of some sort that yield a legendary, Instead of going back to the MF.

IMO this would make getting a legendary actually feel “Legendary”.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Sauzo.6821

Believe me, they can. As you said, the only thing preventing further devaluation is the precursors not being readily available after only a few months of grinding. But guess what – right now they totally are. Grind gold and get one… easy.

2. Awarded for completing an extremely difficult, multi-tiered, multi-skillset challenge. Something only a select few can accomplish via gaming skill. And I mean only a few. Like 1 in 300 people or something like that
3. Available via really, really low RNG as an alternative, because having luck in the world just makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I can guarantee you people would be complaining ten times as much as they do now though.

My question is why make legendaries so rare that only 1 in 300 people get em? I mean all they are is a skin. Who cares if someone else has one. I mean look at everything else in the game, everyone can get it and it’s an MMO where no one is actually a unique snowflake. I mean if you want to be semi unique, play an MMO that has hardcore raiding and join the top raiding guild and devote 8 hours a night to raiding. This game doesn’t have raiding vs casual so i’m guessing you want the legnedary to be the status symbol that differentiate the casual from the hardcore?

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

My question is why make legendaries so rare that only 1 in 300 people get em? I mean all they are is a skin. Who cares if someone else has one. I mean look at everything else in the game, everyone can get it and it’s an MMO where no one is actually a unique snowflake. I mean if you want to be semi unique, play an MMO that has hardcore raiding and join the top raiding guild and devote 8 hours a night to raiding. This game doesn’t have raiding vs casual so i’m guessing you want the legnedary to be the status symbol that differentiate the casual from the hardcore?

The very reason people want them is because they are not everywhere. You have many cool skins in the game, some arguably way more cool than legendaries, and yet you don’t see people clamoring about those. Why? Because anyone can get them with relative ease and there isn’t much of a prestige factor tied to them.

Make legendaries common and nobody will care. Make them common and actually wearing one will become cheesy and unwanted even. It’s like a Super syndrome… everyone wants to be Super – but when everyone’s Super, no one is.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Sauzo.6821

True but i disagree that everyone wants a legendary. Alot of people see most of em as “goofy” and “cheesy” looking where as the MF weapons have some very cool looking stuff and imo are more rare than legendaries. Like for example. my necro has Immobolus which i actually have never ran into another person yet who has one but i have run into at least 1 person with every legendary out there minus Meteorlogicus and Quip and the water ones.

Problem with the rarity argument is that it already has been fubared with the exploits like godskull weapons. I’m will to bet that there are alot of precursors being hoarded byt goldsellers and market players but it costs gold to list stuff up on the broker at 600g+ so they only list 1 or maybe 2 at a time since i’m sure at those prices, they aren’t exactly flying off the shelves.

Stand in overflow in LA for awhile, i’m willing to bet you see alot of legendaries. Hell last week while i was standing at the MF being bored, i saw 2 guys next to each with Incinerators and another guy by them with Twilight. That was 3 legendaries in like 3 ft haha. Anyways since precursors are THE number one complaint you see and really the only big one i’ve seen, it should trigger a flag to ANet to at least look into it but again, i’m sounding like a broken record cause i’ve said this before.

Am I legendary yet!?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Purely from a gameplay / design perspective, the precursor should be the easiest to acquire of the four major components. The multi-tiered components that pull rewards from different parts of the game should be the time consuming and expensive part.

The game would benefit on the whole from substantially cheaper precursors, even if an equivalent expense was rolled into the gifts.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

And how exactly would the game benefit as a whole from cheaper precursors?

You want to talk game design, talk percentages. You MUST limit the availability of legendary weapons to a small percentage of people, for reasons stated earlier. And experience has shown that simply introducing time (as in, grind) as the only obstacle is not an obstacle at all.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

@Sauzo, all true, so ANet can:

1. Just give up on legendaries and make them easily obtainable
2. Try and correct the damage already done by making the system harder, not easier.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

The very reason people want them is because they are not everywhere. You have many cool skins in the game, some arguably way more cool than legendaries, and yet you don’t see people clamoring about those. Why? Because anyone can get them with relative ease and there isn’t much of a prestige factor tied to them.

Make legendaries common and nobody will care. Make them common and actually wearing one will become cheesy and unwanted even. It’s like a Super syndrome… everyone wants to be Super – but when everyone’s Super, no one is.

Um NO- the very reason Anet tells you and pushes you to get them that is why people want them. That is the reason. If Anet stopped pushing them like they did and removed a lot of the value for them they would be significantly easier to get.
Instead they push it as endgame and the only endgame with ascend worth grinding for hence the price.
Tell Anet to stop being a pusher and reward people for time and dedication and skill not rng or bank account.
Make it mean something then and only then will it be reduced in value. More intrinsic value=less gold value.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

People want legendaries because they have shiny pixels, footsteps, and swirly twirlies. They look different than other skins. Not just because they are rare. Oh, and the fact there is an achievement for it and an icon on the character select screen staring at you every time you log in.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Precursors are not a problem at all. If someone is willing to pay X gold then that’s fair.

I sure as hell would want to buy a Dusk at 10S. But if someone is willing to pay 600g then I guess…too bad for me.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

Question to all the precursor complainer: Would you be satisfied if they made the precursor obtainable by completing a Jumping Puzzle twice as hard or even harder than the halloween JP?

And if you awnser yes to that, because you probably think you are able to do it, imagine the outcry on the forums. People don’t want a real skill challenge because at least 95% would then not be able to do it. At the curren drop rate someone will eventually get it even if it takes a year or two.

Just think about it: Someone can’t get a legendary simply because they are not the top 5%. The problem is then that they’ll never get it! That’s even more depressing for the majority…

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Vol.5241

Question to all the precursor complainer: Would you be satisfied if they made the precursor obtainable by completing a Jumping Puzzle twice as hard or even harder than the halloween JP?

And if you awnser yes to that, because you probably think you are able to do it, imagine the outcry on the forums. People don’t want a real skill challenge because at least 95% would then not be able to do it. At the curren drop rate someone will eventually get it even if it takes a year or two.

Just think about it: Someone can’t get a legendary simply because they are not the top 5%. The problem is then that they’ll never get it! That’s even more depressing for the majority…

A lot of people use the ‘skill’ phrase but they never provide specifics. Not only that, but Arenanet has to design something that is exploit proof and difficult enough that only a few people can do – think about Arah P4, but much harder.

And if they designed it with a JP, you’d have a huge outcry from people who hate JP. I remember all the complaints from the halloween JP, which wasn’t even all that hard!

[Permabanned on Forums]

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

Um NO- the very reason Anet tells you and pushes you to get them that is why people want them. That is the reason. If Anet stopped pushing them like they did and removed a lot of the value for them they would be significantly easier to get.
Instead they push it as endgame and the only endgame with ascend worth grinding for hence the price.
Tell Anet to stop being a pusher and reward people for time and dedication and skill not rng or bank account.
Make it mean something then and only then will it be reduced in value. More intrinsic value=less gold value.

I don’t remember ANet telling me anything, or pushing legendaries on me. In fact, with the current lackluster selection I wish they made more of them so I might find something actually worth the effort if only for the bling factor.

Consider the social factors that come into play here. The only thing ANet did with the legendaries is give them special coloring and effects. That’s the bling factor. The much bigger factor is prestige… the fact that not everyone can get one. THAT is why everyone wants a legendary. It doesn’t give you an advantage, it just makes you stand out a bit more. It makes you special. Everyone wants to feel special. Thus everyone wants a legendary.

And those that have them (I am not one of them), don’t want to see everyone get one, because then they lose their prestige value. Simple as that. Players determine what has prestige and what doesn’t… not ANet. ANet just sets things up, it is up to the players to sort out what “is hot and what is not”.

Which is why that gargoyle staff (Final Rest?) would cost a lot more than Bifrost, even though it is only an Exotic. Prestige value derived directly from rarity.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

People want legendaries because they have shiny pixels, footsteps, and swirly twirlies. They look different than other skins. Not just because they are rare. Oh, and the fact there is an achievement for it and an icon on the character select screen staring at you every time you log in.

And if everyone has Twillight, how different from other Twillights is it? It becomes a very shiny, very boring item nobody cares about. Rarity translates directly to value. Humans are like that. Prestige means exclusivity, the particle effects are there just to make it more obvious who has it and who doesn’t.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: kellian.9712

kellian.9712

All I can say to this, Is I completed story mode, killed an undead dragon that was “terrorizing” the world, If THAT isn’t worth getting a precursor but killing some random mob in Orr is….something is seriously wrong with whomever thought this through.

Frankly I could care less about ever getting one (probably never will), but this is just another case of fragmenting the community and fostering the whole “casual” vs. “hardcore” argument, that I for one thought wouldn’t be in THIS game considering what had been said about it.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Precursors are not a problem at all. If someone is willing to pay X gold then that’s fair.

I sure as hell would want to buy a Dusk at 10S. But if someone is willing to pay 600g then I guess…too bad for me.

legendary weapons that are only about how much gold you can earn as the main endgame goal, is a bad idea for an rpg/adventure game. That is the flaw with precursors, and with legendaries.

rarity by grind is annoying, but it makes sense to reward people for playing the game as it is advertised.
difficulty is something many people fear, but it makes sense to reward people for epic adventures in a rpg
gold, well its not a game about gold, its supposed to be about adventure exploration, combat etc, so why is item required for one of the major account achievement unlocks, the driving force for most of the post level 80 activities, obtainable most readily from massive gold.

Its just a bad game design, legendaries would be fine, if they had some other endgame way of progressing your charachter (doesnt have to be vertical, can in fact be cosmetic, or even story/adventure related) but they dont, you play the whole game one way, then when it comes to precursors, it turns into a corporate simulation game. Its foolish

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Lord Rager.8543

Lord Rager.8543

from an older post of mine. sorry for the spelling errors:::

The precursor weapon:
It would be crafted, not by a craftier, but by doing a dungeon EX: for the ax(i am going for it) you would need a common(white) ax bought off any weapon vender. you need to equip the white axe and go through HotW EM P1 to the end where you would dip the axe into something and it would change the axe to a blue level axe. then take it equipped into HotW EM P2 and do the same thing where it would turn into a green axe. once again take it into HotW EM P3 and repeat and this time it would become the precruser for the LW. no RNG needed and make others do EM
Now get rid of the 500 or 600 dungeon badges you need and change it so you need to run every SM to get a SM token. Now you have people looking for groups for SM and EM.

Commander The Tallest Rager
Darkhaven Asuran Guardian
S O T D Warband [SotD]

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Mikuna.3028

Mikuna.3028

For last couple months I’m observing precursor prices in hope that one day they will be reasonable. After last patch, that made some legendaries more interesting, most prices went up (some precursors went even higher then 800g). Since then I started receiving ingame mail from goldsellers advertising both precursors and legendaries. Is this the legend we are supposed to seek in this game?

I wont use any goldseller service, but at this rate many will. Anet should do something with this asap.

attaching screen with one of mails (removed links/prices so that its not advertisement)

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4407/gwgoldspam.jpg

Since Anet declared that there’s no work on precursor hunt to control prices and availability of them, someone else took this control and is now getting profits (and killing anet profits in the process)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Tomcat.8375

Tomcat.8375

Look everyone,

It doesn’t matter what your personal opinions are on the matter about how things “should” be because they are what they are. Yes Anet “should” take their players opinions into consideration, but here are the cold hard facts.

Months ago LinseyMudock, a dev, made a post that is still stickied at the top of the crafting section saying…

“We have been watching the prices climbing on Legendary precursors and share your concerns about some of them becoming too expensive. We will continue to monitor the situation and will make any adjustments we feel are necessary.”

This is when precursors shot from 100 to 200ish gold (for Dusk). Anet was worried about the prices then becoming to out of reach for players. Since then the price has constantly risen and they released a statement they are working on a “scavanger hunt” for precursors. In the mean time they even flooded the marked at the Karka event to drop the prices back down for a short period of time. Anet knows it’s a problem and is currently working on a solution to fix it. It doesn’t matter about the elitests because something will change, we just need to be patient. I agree Anet is taking their sweet time, but there are many other things that need fixed and polished in the game that affects more players than the precursor problem. Priorities people.

Again…

What has become of precursors is not what Anet invisioned. Play it smart and just wait. Focus on school or work and just save your gold for when they release a new and (hopefully) better way to obtain precursors you will be ready.

And my last point.

This reminds me of religion, everyone is a fanatic about how legendaries should be and they try to force it down people’s throats. Please understand that YOUR vision of what a legendary should or shouldn’t be is not the grounds of what Anet believes in. This isn’t WOW or some other MMO where legendary is soly defined by rarity and power. Let Anet define their own legendary items wether or not it conforms to the mold of other MMOs.

The following is my personal opinion:

>Legendaries are guaranteed after one can prove mastery of the game, somthing the current system does (for the most part) next to the RNG precursor.

>Legendaries should be account bound.

A precursor is NOT a legendary weapon, but a small fraction of what is needed. Many good alternatives to the current system have been presented over the last couple months, but it’s a moot point now because they are already working on changing it.

There is a line between putting effort and dedication into a game to earn an achievement and self satisfaction VS. having a mental illness and neglecting other aspects of your life to achieve shiny pixels on the screen, then forcing others to follow suite.

Why deny others of happyness and self satisfaction if they can’t live up to your standards or have deep enough pockets? Why make it so people are permentaly locked out of content if they can’t keep up with the best of the best? Time spent is time spent regardless if it takes a person a year to put the same amount of time some people put in in a few months. However with the ever inflating cost of precursors the people who space their time out will never catch up. With Anet’s chages I hope the precursors will be set in stone.

Again, I don’t care if your opion doesn’t mesh with mine. The fact of the matter is that changes are comming. The current system is broken, and Anet, the developer, the source that defines GW2 and all of it’s aspects, agrees. (And if Anet chooses to rely on RNG, I will bite the bullet and accept it.)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

All fine with me. I just want to ask everyone to tell me what they think when they see a player in full CoF armor. Do you think “oh man, look at that guy!”, or do you think “sheesh, another flame boy”?

I am betting it is the latter. Why? Because CoF is easy to get and is guaranteed. Nothing amazing about it, even if the armor skin is one of the coolest I’ve seen in a MMO.

Same with legendaries. If every player is guaranteed one, then pretty much every player will have one, and seeing someone with a legendary weapon will be the same as seeing someone in a CoF armor set. Shiny pixels are NOT the main reason these items are so desirable.

But hey, don’t get me wrong – I am a working man, and getting a legendary is out of my scopes because I don’t have the time. If I could get a shiny, I’d get a shiny… just keep in mind that when everyone has shinies, the skritt come. And wearing T1 iron swords will be considered cool because of the novelty factor.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

@Gaudrath This is a game. We play games to be rewarded. A precursor should be guaranteed if you worked for it. The legendary is guaranteed only as long as you gather the mats and the gifts. But the problem is that you’ll have that stupid instance where you have every item minus the precursor. If you try MF, there’s a chance you will never get one. So why did I just waste all this time gathering the materials? If you try to buy it, it turns out there’s only a few on the market.

Look I understand its a time commitment. I’m willing to put that commitment in, I’m not even one of those people who are doing nothing but grind to get a legendary. I told my friends that I will just play the game, not rush it, but I’m gathering everything that I need. What happens when I gather everything but I can’t get a precursor? It’s an unfair rewards system. And who cares if people think “sheesh, another Sunrise guy”. I want Sunrise, it’s the weapon of choice for my character and I put in the time and effort for it. Like I said, that Sunrise will be the only Sunrise in my character’s universe, just like he’s the only hero who led the Pact against Zhaitan. I don’t care about other players

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

And another reason why precursors are a problem is that lore-wise, buying or RNGing a weapon is not legendary. It makes zero sense. If the precursor was at the end of a very difficult quest-chain/scavenger hunt but the legendary still had the heavy time commitment to craft, it would be fine. Legendaries should have that time and effort commitment. But how can you call them legendary when they’re up for auction?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Vol.5241

. A precursor should be guaranteed if you worked for it.

That is why there is an option to buy it on the outpost.

If you hardcore grind for a day, you make 50g. That’s about two weeks worth of hardcore farming, and maybe a month and a half of regular play.

Or if you’re feeling lucky, go gamble.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

If you hardcore grind for a day, you make 50g. That’s about two weeks worth of hardcore farming, and maybe a month and a half of regular play.

Except my original argument is that the market is dry. There are no more to buy. That is not a guarantee.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Vol.5241

Except my original argument is that the market is dry. There are no more to buy. That is not a guarantee.

Put a buy order higher than the next one and you’ll find a seller

[Permabanned on Forums]

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

And if everyone has Twillight, how different from other Twillights is it? It becomes a very shiny, very boring item nobody cares about. Rarity translates directly to value. Humans are like that. Prestige means exclusivity, the particle effects are there just to make it more obvious who has it and who doesn’t.

I was unaware the “prestige” meant exclusivity. I was more under the impression that is was admiration or respect for achievement or quality.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: kellian.9712

kellian.9712

Hardcore grind for a day and make 50g?

You grinding and actually playing the game or grinding the AH, because right now the ONLY way to make 50g in one day for a normal human being is the later. I for one didn’t sign up for endgame to be an economic sim.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Shadowfist.2708

Shadowfist.2708

This. This. This.

There is no more clearer of a way to explain that. No terms more simple.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

I was unaware the “prestige” meant exclusivity. I was more under the impression that is was admiration or respect for achievement or quality.

Nope, it isn’t. Prestige stems, basically, from having stuff other people don’t have. Doesn’t sound all noble and pretty, but that’s humans for you.

GW2 is a prime example. It takes literally NO skill whatsoever to get a legendary, and yet those items are highly wanted for their prestige value. Simply because they are hard to get and/or relatively rare.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Jehuty.7426

Jehuty.7426

Gaudrath try to make bifrost and then put guy which doesn’t have skill in front of lupicus because he need badges from Arah i will love to take my popcorn and look that

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

exactly. sell orders are not indicative of actual supply. if i had a precursor (which unfortunately i don’t) i wouldn’t list it for fear of getting undercut. I’d just watch the buy orders and sell it outright when I saw a buy order high enough.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

exactly. sell orders are not indicative of actual supply. if i had a precursor (which unfortunately i don’t) i wouldn’t list it for fear of getting undercut. I’d just watch the buy orders and sell it outright when I saw a buy order high enough.

You’re still defeating the very purpose of a “legendary” item. These are not things that should be bought to wield. Besides, no one wants to wield a precursor, they want to wield a legendary. And I thought not everyone wants it to show off. Some want it for their own character. And even for those who want it for prestige, why to they have to justify my character not having it when my character is fully capable of having it.

In GW1, obsidian armor was prestige. It unfortunately depended on grind and a market, but at least the market was capable of sustaining the amount of players who wanted it. At least it had a decent enough drop rate to warrant farming. But the main reason people wanted the armor was for themselves, not for other players. I don’t care who sees me. I don’t care if my character has cool footsteps. I personally like the weapon, but these elitists apparently have to justify me not having it.

The precursor should be one of the first things you can get. You should be able to run around with it while on your way to crafting the legendary. Why is it so acceptable to buy these things? Why are people justifying RNG and money= legendary? It’s the same backwards grind machine that WoW and other MMOs were caught in and I think people are still used to those old systems.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Bravo OP.

Oh, and don’t expect any comment from Anet about this. Like many other areas of the game where players have voiced their concern… it is blatantly being ignored.

This is the worst part to be honest.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Arnianor.5489

Arnianor.5489

Hi everybody,

I was wondering about the drop rate of precursor in the mystic forge. Do we have any official NUMERIC information on this topic ?
Not the common answer, the higher the level and the rarity, the highest your chance.
Since Christmas, I already threw over 1’000 rare daggers lvl 80 in the forge, and quite a few exotic as well: got nothing.
Using Magic Find runes, stuff, boons and so on didn’t help.
So let’s have a look at it. 1’000 weapons give 250 tries, 0 precursor. With 100% magic find bonus, is the drop rate really still below 1 over 250 ?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

Bravo OP.

This is the worst part to be honest.

To be honest this isn’t a top priority. Like I said it should be a long term goal. I’m just tired of people defending this broken system when they know that it’s broken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

Hi everybody,

I was wondering about the drop rate of precursor in the mystic forge. Do we have any official NUMERIC information on this topic ?
Not the common answer, the higher the level and the rarity, the highest your chance.
Since Christmas, I already threw over 1’000 rare daggers lvl 80 in the forge, and quite a few exotic as well: got nothing.
So let’s have a look at it. 1’000 weapons give 250 tries, 0 precursor. With 100% magic find bonus, is the drop rate really still below 1 over 250 ?

Magic find is, as far as i know, only influencing monster drops. Neither Mystic Forge results nor dungeon chests.

And don’t misunderstand drop rate. 1% doesn’t mean you get one on the 100th try. Some may need 50 trys a few unlucky 2500.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

Hi everybody,

Magic find is, as far as i know, only influencing monster drops. Neither Mystic Forge results nor dungeon chests.

And don’t misunderstand drop rate. 1% doesn’t mean you get one on the 100th try. Some may need 50 trys a few unlucky 2500.

This. People do not understand what random number generators do. They do not have a fixed drop rate. 1% means that EACH time you get loot, there is one in a hundred chance that you will get that drop. The next time you get loot, there is again only one in a hundred chance you will get the item you want. That’s why some people luck out on their first try and some have to keep trying for months.

The reason behind this is that RNG makes it possible to keep the overall percentage of players who get the item steady and low. Other games are far more punishing with this – for example, WoW also has RNG, only this time it is concealed in the dice rolls in addition to drop rates.
Since GW2 doesn’t have loot rolling, and instead makes loot unique for every player, the drop rates have to be adjusted accordingly, which means much lower drop rates than in games with more traditional loot rolling system.

However, the funny thing is, in GW2 it still takes you a lot less time to get the items you want. Because you only have one layer of RNG to deal with, instead of a totally unpredictable factor of other players rolling for the same item (as anyone who played vanilla WoW, for example, can attest to).

~ Piken