Stop Precursor Elitism

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Arnianor.5489

Arnianor.5489

Well, I know that a 1% drop rate don’t assure a player he will get his drop within 100 tries.
And I actually believe the drop rate is lower than 1%.
Let’s take X the base probability to success, drop or whatever, and Y = 1-X the base probability to fail.
Each time you try, you will have X chance to success.
However, after N tries, your chance to have succeeded at least once is 100%-Y^N.
This means, the bigger the N the bigger the probability to have succeed once (though it will never be 100%).

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

Acquiring a precursor through the MF is already insane grinding unless you are very lucky. I mean where do you get all those rares to throw in? Either from running dungeons for exotics(which are anywhere from 200-390 tokens) or farming mats to make rares or farm gold to buy rares off the TP. Regardless, unless you are just doing 1 try a day, it will require you grind. And how the hell can legendaries become more devalued than they already are? I mean for christ’s sake gold sellers sell em as well as being able to buy em off the TP.

Believe me, they can. As you said, the only thing preventing further devaluation is the precursors not being readily available after only a few months of grinding. But guess what – right now they totally are. Grind gold and get one… easy.

My personal opinion is that the precursors should be:

1. Account bound on acquire (no TP listing possible)
2. Awarded for completing an extremely difficult, multi-tiered, multi-skillset challenge. Something only a select few can accomplish via gaming skill. And I mean only a few. Like 1 in 300 people or something like that
3. Available via really, really low RNG as an alternative, because having luck in the world just makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I can guarantee you people would be complaining ten times as much as they do now though.

My question is why make legendaries so rare that only 1 in 300 people get em? I mean all they are is a skin. Who cares if someone else has one. I mean look at everything else in the game, everyone can get it and it’s an MMO where no one is actually a unique snowflake. I mean if you want to be semi unique, play an MMO that has hardcore raiding and join the top raiding guild and devote 8 hours a night to raiding. This game doesn’t have raiding vs casual so i’m guessing you want the legnedary to be the status symbol that differentiate the casual from the hardcore?

The very reason people want them is because they are not everywhere. You have many cool skins in the game, some arguably way more cool than legendaries, and yet you don’t see people clamoring about those. Why? Because anyone can get them with relative ease and there isn’t much of a prestige factor tied to them.

Make legendaries common and nobody will care. Make them common and actually wearing one will become cheesy and unwanted even. It’s like a Super syndrome… everyone wants to be Super – but when everyone’s Super, no one is.

People want legendaries because they have shiny pixels, footsteps, and swirly twirlies. They look different than other skins. Not just because they are rare. Oh, and the fact there is an achievement for it and an icon on the character select screen staring at you every time you log in.

And if everyone has Twillight, how different from other Twillights is it? It becomes a very shiny, very boring item nobody cares about. Rarity translates directly to value. Humans are like that. Prestige means exclusivity, the particle effects are there just to make it more obvious who has it and who doesn’t.

I was unaware the “prestige” meant exclusivity. I was more under the impression that is was admiration or respect for achievement or quality.

Nope, it isn’t. Prestige stems, basically, from having stuff other people don’t have. Doesn’t sound all noble and pretty, but that’s humans for you.

GW2 is a prime example. It takes literally NO skill whatsoever to get a legendary, and yet those items are highly wanted for their prestige value. Simply because they are hard to get and/or relatively rare.

That may be true for some people but it’s not true for all people. I buy things in MMO’s because I like the way they look, not because they are rare. In fact I’ve even considered just making an exotic whose skin I like better than the legendary. If not for the fact that legendary stats will be better eventually I would have made it already.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Ejiofor.4801

Ejiofor.4801

Just make one in the Mystic Forge. It’s not that hard. Just keep throwing lv 80 Rares of the weapon type you want, and a Precursor will pop out eventually.

A friend of mine dropped 200 Rares in the Mystic Forge…

Guess what?

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

And I laughed my butt off at him.

As for me, I could care less. I’m in no rush to get the Precursor. The Legendary does the same Damage as my Exotic Legionnaire Rifle. The Difference? The Rifle only cost me 3 Gold. The Hunter? Last I checked it was over 400 Gold.

Gearstrip Jones, Engineer, Borlis Pass, [KPUP]
“Which Lo Pan? Little ol’ basket case on wheels, or the ten-foot-tall roadblock?!”
-Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Acquiring a precursor through the MF is already insane grinding unless you are very lucky. I mean where do you get all those rares to throw in? Either from running dungeons for exotics(which are anywhere from 200-390 tokens) or farming mats to make rares or farm gold to buy rares off the TP. Regardless, unless you are just doing 1 try a day, it will require you grind. And how the hell can legendaries become more devalued than they already are? I mean for christ’s sake gold sellers sell em as well as being able to buy em off the TP.

Believe me, they can. As you said, the only thing preventing further devaluation is the precursors not being readily available after only a few months of grinding. But guess what – right now they totally are. Grind gold and get one… easy.

My personal opinion is that the precursors should be:

1. Account bound on acquire (no TP listing possible)
2. Awarded for completing an extremely difficult, multi-tiered, multi-skillset challenge. Something only a select few can accomplish via gaming skill. And I mean only a few. Like 1 in 300 people or something like that
3. Available via really, really low RNG as an alternative, because having luck in the world just makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I can guarantee you people would be complaining ten times as much as they do now though.

My question is why make legendaries so rare that only 1 in 300 people get em? I mean all they are is a skin. Who cares if someone else has one. I mean look at everything else in the game, everyone can get it and it’s an MMO where no one is actually a unique snowflake. I mean if you want to be semi unique, play an MMO that has hardcore raiding and join the top raiding guild and devote 8 hours a night to raiding. This game doesn’t have raiding vs casual so i’m guessing you want the legnedary to be the status symbol that differentiate the casual from the hardcore?

The very reason people want them is because they are not everywhere. You have many cool skins in the game, some arguably way more cool than legendaries, and yet you don’t see people clamoring about those. Why? Because anyone can get them with relative ease and there isn’t much of a prestige factor tied to them.

Make legendaries common and nobody will care. Make them common and actually wearing one will become cheesy and unwanted even. It’s like a Super syndrome… everyone wants to be Super – but when everyone’s Super, no one is.

People want legendaries because they have shiny pixels, footsteps, and swirly twirlies. They look different than other skins. Not just because they are rare. Oh, and the fact there is an achievement for it and an icon on the character select screen staring at you every time you log in.

And if everyone has Twillight, how different from other Twillights is it? It becomes a very shiny, very boring item nobody cares about. Rarity translates directly to value. Humans are like that. Prestige means exclusivity, the particle effects are there just to make it more obvious who has it and who doesn’t.

I was unaware the “prestige” meant exclusivity. I was more under the impression that is was admiration or respect for achievement or quality.

Nope, it isn’t. Prestige stems, basically, from having stuff other people don’t have. Doesn’t sound all noble and pretty, but that’s humans for you.

GW2 is a prime example. It takes literally NO skill whatsoever to get a legendary, and yet those items are highly wanted for their prestige value. Simply because they are hard to get and/or relatively rare.

That may be true for some people but it’s not true for all people. I buy things in MMO’s because I like the way they look, not because they are rare. In fact I’ve even considered just making an exotic whose skin I like better than the legendary. If not for the fact that legendary stats will be better eventually I would have made it already.

It is true for most people, which is why prestige exists as a concept in the first place. Some of us don’t care about that and we usually just pick what looks most appealing to us.
Most people do not function like that. The world would be a much different place if they did.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Legendary weapons are promised to ‘evolve’ with the game so if you do all that work, it’s not wasted. THAT should be the main reason for wanting a Legendary, although the bling factor is just as important to me. Prestige is really just a nice to have. That being said I want to work for it to feel better about that prestige. I will value it more if it was hard to acquire.

I DO NOT however want to grind mindlessly for years to get one. That is bull kitten.
Clovers are account bound, why not make precursor as well (IF THERE IS A REASONABLE WAY TO GET ONE). You should not be able to just buy a Legendary.
You have to earn many of the gifts, why can’t we earn a precursor?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Legendary weapons are promised to ‘evolve’ with the game so if you do all that work, it’s not wasted. THAT should be the main reason for wanting a Legendary, although the bling factor is just as important to me. Prestige is really just a nice to have. That being said I want to work for it to feel better about that prestige. I will value it more if it was hard to acquire.

I DO NOT however want to grind mindlessly for years to get one. That is bull kitten.
Clovers are account bound, why not make precursor as well (IF THERE IS A REASONABLE WAY TO GET ONE). You should not be able to just buy a Legendary.

You can earn one. You buy one.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Buying is not earning. I do not think the market players and manipulators should control who get’s a Legendary.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: kellian.9712

kellian.9712

and ^ attitude and thought process is one of the biggest problems with the game right now.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

Buying is not earning. I do not think the market players and manipulators should control who get’s a Legendary.

Buying is not earning? Only if you bought your gold with your mom’s credit card. Look, right now there is really no skill involved in getting a legendary (and please, beating a 5-man easy-peasy dungeon is not skill). In fact, I’d say there’s more skill and thinking involved in TP flipping than in PvE grinding. Grinding, now that is something any monkey can do. Hey, bots can, see?

Gold is so easy to come by in this game, it’s not even funny. There are so many things you can do besides just grinding ‘till your fingers bleed to get gold. Just accept that it will take you several months of smart playing to get enough resources to get a legendary, and if that doesn’t suit you, wait until ANet rolls out that scavenger hunt (though I wouldn’t bet on the system being that much different from the current one).

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Buying is not earning? Only if you bought your gold with your mom’s credit card. Look, right now there is really no skill involved in getting a legendary (and please, beating a 5-man easy-peasy dungeon is not skill). In fact, I’d say there’s more skill and thinking involved in TP flipping than in PvE grinding. Grinding, now that is something any monkey can do. Hey, bots can, see?

Gold is so easy to come by in this game, it’s not even funny. There are so many things you can do besides just grinding ‘till your fingers bleed to get gold. Just accept that it will take you several months of smart playing to get enough resources to get a legendary, and if that doesn’t suit you, wait until ANet rolls out that scavenger hunt (though I wouldn’t bet on the system being that much different from the current one).

Five hundred gold for a precursor is ridiculous. I buy and sell all the time when the prices are reasonable. This is NOT the case for Precursors and Lodestones. If something is not done then these prices will continue to rise and saving will be pointless.

The most any of my characters has had is like 10 gold as getting all the gear up to exotic is quite expensive. Crafting 12 Mystic Clovers chewed up my main characters funds just recently.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Vol.5241

and ^ attitude and thought process is one of the biggest problems with the game right now.

What’s wrong with earning the gold to buy something? Is there something inherently evil about that which makes me a sick person?

In the real world, I guess if I were a farmer and milked my own cows for milk, I’m a good person.

But if I’m an office drone and I spent my hard earned money on buying milk from the grocery store… kitten I’m literally the devil!

[Permabanned on Forums]

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Vol.5241

Five hundred gold for a precursor is ridiculous. I buy and sell all the time when the prices are reasonable. This is NOT the case for Precursors and Lodestones. If something is not done then these prices will continue to rise and saving will be pointless.

The most any of my characters has had is like 10 gold as getting all the gear up to exotic is quite expensive. Crafting 12 Mystic Clovers chewed up my main characters funds just recently.

It may be ridiculous to you, but there are people out there willing to pay more than you. There is no reason why a seller should sell to you when someone is paying 200g more.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Anwar.2018

Anwar.2018

Not sure what you are talking about..but sure does sound like anyone like me that just started this game wasted their money since the good stuff has been made too hard to get now and no way to ever catch up (money is also very hard to get now, at least at low levels..so cant ever buy whatever). I don’t have an answer except they really need to beta the hell out of these games and watch the over-achievers very closely and solve the “too-easies” before launch. This looks like closing the gate after the cows got out.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: mobile storage.1294

mobile storage.1294

about the supply, there is a huge supply. The problem is there are exploiters that filled theyre banks with dusk and dawns when it was possible to obtain them for nearly nothing and now can control the market forever. All ANet has to do is Add a quest that requires the 3 final gifts to start to obtain the precursor and it would fix the whole mess

not exploiters more like business people who knows how to flip

There are some exploiters who have slipped the net as i know of a friend who’s guild leader who has tens of thousands of gold and a silly amount of legendaries.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

kellian.9712

What’s wrong with earning the gold to buy something? Is there something inherently evil about that which makes me a sick person?

In the real world, I guess if I were a farmer and milked my own cows for milk, I’m a good person.

But if I’m an office drone and I spent my hard earned money on buying milk from the grocery store.. kitten I’m literally the devil!

First off nobody called you an Evil person, unless you inherently feel guilty about something and would like to get it off you chest. :-)

Second, this is a game not the real world. Let’s not pretend they are the same, because they are in no way the same. People escape into games to get away from the real world. The idea of playing a fantasy game where the endgame basically revolves around how quickly you can earn money is ridiculous to me. Knock yourself out, you’re playing in the parameters Anet has set, you are playing the game the way you see fit in these parameters. If this is the game they want, then it’s all good, it is after all their game. All I’m saying is a game I thought would be a long term thing for me personally might end up being a stopgap until Neverwinter comes out now.

Pointing it out however is not a knock at you or anyone else, its a knock on the system they have chosen to create. The way I see it, basically nerf any and all drop rates (or just make them insanely low to begin with), and take the “fantasy” out of the fantasy game, turning into a glorified market sim pitting the have’s who enjoy that sort of stuff Vs. the have not’s who don’t.

(edited by kellian.9712)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

It may be ridiculous to you, but there are people out there willing to pay more than you. There is no reason why a seller should sell to you when someone is paying 200g more.

The price is so high because the supply is to low because of RIDICULOUS RNG. Standing around dumping tons of gold into the Mystic Toilet is NOT EARNING a Legendary. It’s a freaking lottery and the winners are instant millionaires. Legendary should NOT mean only 1% of the population gets one. Just because more people want a Legendary shouldn’t mean they all have to keep working harder.

If the Precursor procurement method yielded an Account Bound item, no more Mystic Millionaires.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

I swore ANet said this game wouldn’t be a grindfest…yet everything in it is a grindfest, the precursor being the biggest one of them all. And if you just started this game, don’t ever count on getting a legendary. That boat sailed. You will be playing a catch up game you never will win. Precursors were 25g when the game came out, 5 months later, 600g. Fast forward another 5 months and you can expect to see 1200g precursors as inflation continues yet the means to make gold will remain the same. If you make 20g a day now, you will make 20g a day in 5 months unless ANet magically introduces a “cost of living” bump to all their mobs, DEs and dungeon chests. This is biggest issue, there is no “ceiling” for precursors but there is a cap to how much gold you can make physically(i mean you do need to sleep and work for a living i assume).

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: edjahman.9104

edjahman.9104

You have to work hard, in a video game, to Earn those pixels.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

Gee it’d be nice to have a bow that squirted out unicorns but at the end of the day my Exotic bow has the same stats as the rainbow/unicorn squirting one does.

I’m more likely going to simply play the game until I’m bored with it (or Feb22nd rolls around) then grind/farm or plastic my way into a rainbow. (pun intended)

I do think that the ‘Gift of Exploration’ if its not already a requirement ought to be for any of the ‘Legendary’ weapons. Actually I think a ‘Legendary’ ought to highlight the successful completion of all aspects of the game. Get 100% in all the Hero areas and get the gift of a precursor.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

The problem is it’s NOT about work it’s about luck. Well, luck and achievement. The completion requirements for the ingredients are fine, it’s the Mystic Toilet that’s the problem. How many players have poured how much gold down it with nothing to show for it? Seems like the perfect way to turn someone off from the game.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

I swore ANet said this game wouldn’t be a grindfest…yet everything in it is a grindfest, the precursor being the biggest one of them all. And if you just started this game, don’t ever count on getting a legendary. That boat sailed. You will be playing a catch up game you never will win. Precursors were 25g when the game came out, 5 months later, 600g. Fast forward another 5 months and you can expect to see 1200g precursors as inflation continues yet the means to make gold will remain the same. If you make 20g a day now, you will make 20g a day in 5 months unless ANet magically introduces a “cost of living” bump to all their mobs, DEs and dungeon chests. This is biggest issue, there is no “ceiling” for precursors but there is a cap to how much gold you can make physically(i mean you do need to sleep and work for a living i assume).

There are a bunch of things you got wrong in this post: First of all there clearly is a ceiling to the precursor prize. When it starts getting less expensive to acquire it in the mystic forge that is when prizes will have a cap. How many exotics you actually have to burry then is a different topic.

About the rise of precursor prizes: you are right. Precursors are still not as expensive as they will be because people are still eager to buy them off he TP. Only when player stop to buy them and go make them theirselfs then they will fall. And FYI 25g back then is different from 25g now. Since you are not only getting gold from monsters but loot too, being the main source of income, you have to take into account that ectos were 14s ea back then not to mention t6 mats which where even lower.

I wouldn’t call it inflation because people not really have a major disadvantage. It’s just easier to acquire more gold faster which means prizes adept to it. It has always been as difficult as ever to get a legendary, which is just as intended. On the other handside i have no idea of economics

(edited by Lucas of the Desert.2165)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Surferboy.1649

Surferboy.1649

This is not really true.
Let’s just think about it: 2 Players are farming the same mount of money every day. The one starts with the precursor and buys it for 100g, the other starts with the gifts (let’s just say, he starts with the t6 mats and so on, cause that was your example), so he needs just 100g for Gift of Fortune or how it is called. That means, they are ready to the same time with the first part. Now they get the other 2 gifts at the same time.
At the end the first needs the gift of forune and the other the precursor. Because of the rising prices the first needs 200g for the Gift and second needs 600g for the precursor. Quite a difference, hm?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Sauzo.6821

@Lucas of the Desert. No most of my post is right. While yes, the prices across the board for all stuff have rose, if you compare say ectos which you say were 14s back then. They are now for ease of argument say 42s. That’s a 3 times rise on them but if you look at precursors which were 25g, a 3 times rise in those should be 75g but its not. It’s 600g+ which is about a 24 tmes rise. If mats rose 24 times like precursors, ectos should be 3.5g each now.

As for making gold faster now than back then, i agree yes with dungeons giving cash now but you gotta balance that with DR now. Very hard DR too and what seems to me to just be nerfed drop rates all around as well. Plus back then you could farm DEs like Plinx every 10 mins or so and not suffer DR which made TONS of cash fast in drops vs now with them nerfing the speed of DEs. So in reality, we are looking at 1 bump to cash flow from dungeons(26s per run which suffers from DR as well) but a number of nerfs to em in the form of longer DEs, DR being implimented, and what seems to be a nerf in overall drops to begin with.

As for people buying precursors, i’d bet not nearly as many sell as you think. Gotta remember, alot of people had em stashed away from back in the beginning when you could exploit the MF with godskull weapons so those people got it easy. At 600g+ a pop, unless you grind your kitten off for months or whip out the plastics, i don’t see em flying off the shelves to normal people which in MMOs nowadays is prolly close to 80% of the population. Thing is there is no time limit on the TP so the market manipulators and farmers can throw 1 or 2 precursors on the TP and leave em there for months. Wouldn’t make sense to throw em all up since if someone undercuts them by say 2g, they can just throw another up they have int he bank for under that 2g one and sell it and then use that cash to buyout the 2g undercut one and still make cash when they resell it later. Like i’ve said before, if they put a time limit on TP items(say 1 week like wvw reset timers), you would see precursors come down fast since those people would be losing cash hand over fist to keep relisting it and losing their posting fee till they got low enough to what the general public found acceptable prices.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Kain Nosgoth.4218

Kain Nosgoth.4218

It may be ridiculous to you but something that everyone should have access to and not at an increasingly difficult rate (when they might have been already half done/decided to do it believing it will take a certain effort) SHOULD NOT be “controlled” (decide the price of) to this extent by the top wealth players (nvm the manipulation and gold sellers, I just mean that 5% wealthy ones out of which 4% are probably playing the TP).

Just beacuase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2Z23SAFVA
AFL – Away From Life. // I admit to being a bad person.
Character specific key binds…yesterday if possible. Thank you.

(edited by Kain Nosgoth.4218)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gaudrath.6725

Also, Legendaries are NOT endgame. They are a bling option. If you choose to grind for it, that’s your choice.

I find that ONE fractal run is enough to cover an exotic item (usually get 1-3 gold from a fractal run). I decked my character in all exotics in no time… in fact the main reason why I don’t roll some alts for fun is because I don’t want to level to 80 again, not because getting gear is any kind of a problem.

So yeah… you can get gold easily. The fact that people choose to pursue the absolutely most expensive vanity item in the game is not a sign of flawed game design, it is simply their personal choice.

~ Piken

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Lucas of the Desert.2165

@Sauzo and @Surferboy
I guess my words sounded different in my head then what i actually typed. I meant: there definitly are prize caps which are just not met. So yeah the precursors will rise because, as i stated above, people still buy it since it’s less expensive than trying your luvk in MF.

The thing is: they will eventually have a limit. That is for example when prizes are 1200g+ and just one player alone figuered that if he trew 900g into MF he is almost guaranteed to get at least one precursor. That way he has a profitable success and starts spamming the market. Until then, you are right there, precursor prizes will still rise.

Some consider this unfair some (probably those who already have a precursor/legendary) consider it fair but all i can say is that this is the way it is.

As for the 24 times rise: well i referred to ectos since they are commonly used and very well know. I bet sone items rose far beyond 24 times, investing in these would have caused you to make enough money for having a precursor. Furthermore the money making is not fully based on ectos. You now get many other drops that also increased in prize.

Btw a time limit on the tp would crush almost every casual gamer. Hardcore market gamer (please stop with the market manipulator term, just another fashion word) would still make their profit. They buy all the (very little supply, due to insecurity of the sellers) off and wait till demand rises and then make a even better profit. It would play in their hands since most are already lost with a mere 15% listing fee. You’d see buy offers exaggeratimg waaaay faster than now since there won’t be a single sell offer anymore..

Nvm back to topic: Gold acquisition is much faster than back then, with the right investment e.g. 100g into ectos, t6 mats, unid dyes, karka shells, whatever you would have doubeled, tripeled or even 24th timed your money.

I don’t want to be mean but th whole point of legendarys was from the beginning that they were not supposed to be for casual gamers. They are not required nor are they essential for anything, it’s purely cosmetic and no one’s forcing you to get one. The bar was meant to be high. For the top 5-10% hardcore gamers.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Nozdrum.2894

Nozdrum.2894

All I can say to this, Is I completed story mode, killed an undead dragon that was “terrorizing” the world, If THAT isn’t worth getting a precursor but killing some random mob in Orr is….something is seriously wrong with whomever thought this through.

Because completing the story is hard. The only problem I had with the story were the random crashes. Getting 500 gold for a precurser was much harder =)
Oh and yeah the dragons are also a joke.

@Topic
If you have so much money:
1. Buy lvl 80 rares from tp ( or craft them ) until your inventory is full
2. Go to the MF
3. Throw your rares in there until your inventory is full
4. Was there a precursor? No: Goto Step 1. Yes: End.
It is that simple.

(edited by Nozdrum.2894)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

kellian.9712

All I can say to this, Is I completed story mode, killed an undead dragon that was “terrorizing” the world, If THAT isn’t worth getting a precursor but killing some random mob in Orr is….something is seriously wrong with whomever thought this through.

Because completing the story is hard. The only problem I had with the story were the random crashes. Getting 500 gold for a precurser was much harder =)

@Topic
2. Go to the MF
It is that simple.

You seemed to have missed the point. Story mode is a “epic quest” where the reward should is certainly more deserving of a precursor than some RNG of some random mob. Story wise you just killed the main bad dragon, difficulty aside, that’s pretty “epic”.

You’re saying it’s not hard, but then talk about buying whatever you need off the TP? I suppose that is harder? Or maybe killing a mob and getting lucky with a RNG is somehow is an amazingly difficult achievement?

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Nozdrum.2894

I never said buying stuff from the tp is hard. I said collecting gold is hard.
And if you randomly get a precursor from a mob then it is luck and it was not hard, that is the nature of luck.

And yes completing the story is nice, but not worth a precursor.
I can tell you what happens when you would get precursor. People would just create characters, rush the story and sell it. If you make the precursor soulbound on aquire these people would just delete the character thus making it not soulbound anymore.
I bet I would do this stuff, easy money.

If you wan’t the obtaining of a precursor to be not affected by luck you would have to make it very difficult. It is pretty simple anet wants that only a certain percentage of the playerbase has a precursor, thus if you make it atainable by doing something specific it must be very difficult. What would that imply? People would go to the forums and whine about getting the precursor would be impossible or too difficult and they would wish of another way of obtaining it. Oh wait they are already doing that

In the end a precursor ( or legendary ) is gameplaywise just as good as any other level 80 exotic. If you want something special you have to pay for it. And since a lot of people want this item and it dropes so rarely you will have to pay a lot.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

kellian.9712

@Nozdrum.2894

I couldn’t disagree more on basically everything you wrote. But you’re not going to change my mind and yours doesn’t seem like its open to change either, so no point continuing the conversation as it probably wouldn’t serve much purpose.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Rares aren’t rare, Exotics aren’t rare, Ascended won’t be rare, as all players are expected to get them eventually, the only difference is how hard they are to get and their stats. Some exotics do have a nicer skin with varying ‘costs’.

Legendary is only a ‘rare’ skin at this point. I have read they are ‘supposed’ to evolve with game expansions, so THAT is real value. It is NOT really an achievement since acquiring it ‘naturally’ is PURE LUCK. The LUCKY then get rich because they have won the precursor lottery.

If your running around Lion’s Arch with a Legendary, your either lucky, a ‘flipper’, or have done a lot of ‘grind’ to buy one from the lucky or the flippers. Are you Elite, NO, you have just spent a LOT more time stockpiling gold somehow.

All we are asking is make acquiring a precursor REASONABLE and not solely based on luck. The other parts take PLENTY of work so no need to make it near impossible to get a precursor.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Nozdrum.2894

@Nozdrum.2894

I couldn’t disagree more on basically everything you wrote. But you’re not going to change my mind and yours doesn’t seem like its open to change either, so no point continuing the conversation as it probably wouldn’t serve much purpose.

Pretty easy to say something like that, but since you want it this way.

If Anet wanted you to have precursors droped by the end of the story they would have done it. But as it is now they drop very very rarley and you can use the mf to get it. Both ways require some form of grinding and are very time-intensive – it seems like anet wants you to put in some time and dedication to get your precursor. Now you come here and say “I don’t like it the way it is, change it to something I like.”. It is rather obvious that you are the one who can not adapt to the situation.
I understand your point of wanting something that is not luck-based and anet is infact working on something like that: the scavanger hunt, but until then you will have to stay with the options you have by now.
I don’t care how I can get my precursor. If there are options I will take the one I like the most. I wont do it if there are no options I like. But what I don’t do is go to the forums and say people to change things, because I don’t believe that I am smart enough to judge the decisions of the people who were and are making this game for years.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

kellian.9712

Now you come here and say “I don’t like it the way it is, change it to something I like.”. It is rather obvious that you are the one who can not adapt to the situation.

Interesting…really interesting. I didn’t realize that a game forum was only for singing the praises of how great everything is. Funny thing about folks like you is, you bury a snide comment like this in the middle of saying you understand my point. So which is it? I thought we were having an adult conversation, but clearly that’s something you’re not to keen on at this point.

If you had bothered to read and comprehend anything I said, you would have understood my point. In a fantasy GAME you should be rewarded for actually doing some HEROIC act, not by some silly RNG generator, or worse yet have to rely on the TP (see D3 for how well that works long term).

It’s been that way since the dawn of P&P games and the majority of the history of PC gaming. That’s the point, this isn’t some glorious revelation or epiphany here, It’s not new. The reason that system has been around so long is because it works and makes people feel like whatever they acquire has some meaning behind it, even if it’s only in their mind since whatever it is isn’t real anyway.

(edited by kellian.9712)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Nozdrum.2894

Interesting…really interesting. I didn’t realize that a game forum was only for singing the praises of how great everything is. Funny thing about folks like you is, you bury a snide comment like this in the middle of saying you understand my point. So which is it? I thought we were having an adult conversation, but clearly that’s something you’re not to keen on at this point.

If you had bothered to read and comprehend anything I said, you would have understood my point. In a fantasy GAME you should be rewarded for actually doing some HEROIC act, not by some RNG generator. It’s been that way since the dawn of P&P games and the majority of the history of PC gaming. That’s the point, this isn’t some glorious revelation or epiphany here, It’s not new. The reason that system has been around so long is because it works and makes people feel like whatever they acquire has some meaning behind it, even if it’s only in their mind since whatever it is isn’t real anyway.

Could you please stop putting words into my mouth?
I never said that the forum is about “singing the praises of how great everything is”.

Also I am able to understand your point but not agree with it.
You believe that the story is a heroic quest which should give you a precursor. I believe that you believe that this is true, but I don’t agree with this. The story is very very easy and therefor not heroic.
Also you are under assumption that a precursor should be droped for doing something heroic, which yet has to be proofed.
As you have stated many games use some kind of “heroic” act to get a special weapon.
But I never seen this be the case in an mmo. Every mmo I played had the following mindset: You want something good that not everyone has: farm this dungeon 100+ times. It is the core mechanic of every mmo, grinding.
Now you can say that you don’t like that, but I guess you shouldn’t be playing an mmo then.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

kellian.9712

You believe that the story is a heroic quest which should give you a precursor.

Hmm…What I actually said was “killed an undead dragon that was “terrorizing” the world, If THAT isn’t worth getting a precursor but killing some random mob in Orr is…something is seriously wrong with whomever thought this through.”

The point is, as stated before, doing something…anything that revolves around completing an epic quest of some kind, should have a just reward and give you a shot at a precursor. Thank goodness Anet see’s some validity in this and is changing it around (though who knows when we will see that content at this point).

Also grinding does not equal difficult it just equals a time sink. It’s a terrible, outdated game mechanic that has been around forever in MMO’s and is, frankly, completely worthless. If some people feel the need to hang on to that as a way to show achievement, what can you do. We can go on and on and have another tiresome 25 page discussion on that one topic too which will most likely just deteriorate into name calling and hardcore vs casual nonsense.

Thankfully there are some things coming out soon that might finally break that trend and allow fun, newness and progression without the need for a grind…oh happy day when that happens.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Surferboy.1649

Well, as posted in some threads, this game needs a gold sink, that’s why there won’t be a great change to precursors. An the mystic toilet is the greatest gold sink, existing. The question is, whether they will manage to balance the prices for a precursor on an achievable level or not.
So even when the epic event quest is coming, it will take like 1 year, otherwise precursors will flood the market.

And no i don’t have a legendary and yes I already have 3 gifts and I’m just waiting for the precursor to drop.

Whether we accept it or not, we need the mytic toilet.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Drop the elitism and pick up some sense. It is not legendary to buy the sword. Excalibur was never bought. Mjolnir was never bought. Gungnir, the Trident, the Lightning Bolt and Kusanagi were never bought. Powerful weapons from other fiction like the Master Sword, Frostmourne, The Heavenly Sword, Anduril, Ice, and The Soul Reaver were not bought. They all had history. They all required challenges and danger and adventure to get to. Buying or Mystic Forging a precursor is not “Legendary” its “Deus Ex Machina”.

False, Gilgamesh bought every single Legendary you listed.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6392/gilgamesh.jpg

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Lucas of the Desert.2165

@Surferboy and @Nozdrum
I totally agree with your posts! The main problem is that it is frigging hard to get a precursor. So people come here and complain ( != suggest something useful).

Think about it: if they made a precursor obtainable through story completion everyone would have one. What would happen next? 90% of the community would go buy lodestones, unid dyes and silver doubloons… over night prizes will not only sky rocket butbreak the ceiling. You’d have lodestones at 40g unid at 2g and silver doubloons at 10g each. This would break every casual gamer.

And before you scream: “there is no skill required” “this is just a grind” try to actually make a suggestion and tell us how you would manage to make it hard enough that it is still legendary. Furthermore arenanet should’t use all their programmers just for the legendarys… there are many other things that are worked on.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Wurz.7849

Wurz.7849

@Topic
2. Go to the MF
It is that simple.

Ok so this is the problem i have with precursors is that the ENTIRE process of obtaining one is just repetitive boring farming. Recently i have been asking most people i have seen with a legendary how they obtained there precursor, and any tips they could give me on getting one. Here is the answers i got

75% of the answers were “Buy a Zerker set and run CoF p1 every day 6hrs a day and you will get one in a few weeks”
20% Was I obtained one back when they were 80-200g
5% of the answers are “i got lucky with the mystic toilet”

Notice how non of these sound remotely fun and adventurous like obtaining a part of a legendary should be? I’m not at all saying they should be easy to obtain but i want to Explore and Complete Events and side quest all over Tyria for tokens or parts to forging Dawn, dusk or what ever precursor your looking for, i’m not giving any suggestions since there will always be a person to Disagree but for me throwing hours away into running the same dungeon again and again or farming mats to craft lvl 80 rares for them to vanish into nothing in front of you doesn’t sound like the Legendary adventure a Legendary weapon deserves.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Sauzo.6821

I got my precursor back just after the karka event when they took a huge dip down to 100g or less. And you people need to get over the whole “legendary” idea about em. There is nothing legendary about em. They should just be called “purple weapons”.

And about the MF being a gold sink, it really isn’t cause if you buy rares or exotics off the TP, they gold is not disappearing, it’s just changing hands and if you are making the fodder, you are still prolly buying some of the mats off the TP. A true gold sink would be if an NPC sold em for X amount of gold cause then that gold would be taken out of the economy, not just switched hands to other players. Of course i’m guessing by “gold sink” you mean an actual way of filtering out gold from the economy so it doesn’t become saturated and worthless.

And while i like the idea of the epic story, it would just drive the prices of mats through the roof if everyone had a precursor. Like i’ve said, make it take 1000 of each dungeon tokens or 120 laurels or maybe 1000 dragon kills. That would be work in itself yet not so easy as to finish it in a week or 2. I think it should take around 2-3 months to get a precursor but not by RNG, by good old fashioned hard work where you can SEE progress being made, not “well i’ve thrown in 1000 greatswords and nothing yet. Maybe in the next 500 or 1000 or 2000 i might get one”.

Oh and on a sidenote and kinda off topic, i was told you can’t get precursors from fractals. Does anyone know if this is true?

Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Wurz.7849

Wurz.7849

i wouldn’t by all means want the precursor to be easily obtained nor everyone have them but if there was a way of knowing all the hard work your putting in gave you something in return would be alot of motivation then wasting 1000’s of greatswords in the MF Because my luck stinks.
And i should assume that you could get a precursor from fractles i don’t see why they wouldn’t.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Surferboy.1649

@Sauzo
Did you read the posts where people used all their money to get a precursor and even didn’t get one?
So their money is gone, it didn’t change hands, it’s just away.

And also always be aware of the fact, there are many players who don’t play PvE, why should a PvE Player get rewarded for doing something hard, but not a WvW Player?

You would need solutions for every section of the game and that would – on long term – flood the market with precursors.

I’m really frustrated about waiting for a precursor since 2 months, but there just is no good solution to make it legendary.
The only possibility is to improve the actual system and to increase and decrease the drop rate, so keep the price of precursors at a certain price.
Well that is just my view, let’s just see what the future will bring.
In fact there are more precursors in the AH, just at an inacceptable price^^

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

I never said buying stuff from the tp is hard. I said collecting gold is hard.
And if you randomly get a precursor from a mob then it is luck and it was not hard, that is the nature of luck.

And yes completing the story is nice, but not worth a precursor.
I can tell you what happens when you would get precursor. People would just create characters, rush the story and sell it. If you make the precursor soulbound on aquire these people would just delete the character thus making it not soulbound anymore.
I bet I would do this stuff, easy money.

If you wan’t the obtaining of a precursor to be not affected by luck you would have to make it very difficult. It is pretty simple anet wants that only a certain percentage of the playerbase has a precursor, thus if you make it atainable by doing something specific it must be very difficult. What would that imply? People would go to the forums and whine about getting the precursor would be impossible or too difficult and they would wish of another way of obtaining it. Oh wait they are already doing that

In the end a precursor ( or legendary ) is gameplaywise just as good as any other level 80 exotic. If you want something special you have to pay for it. And since a lot of people want this item and it dropes so rarely you will have to pay a lot.

Even if people tried to rush the story, do you know how long that takes? And it’ll drive the precursors down. WHich isn’t a bad thing because the other items that go into crafting a legendary is still time consuming. Honestly, winning a precursor for defeating the dragon is not a bad idea. For those people with an alt for every profession, that’s alot of work on their part to acquire a legendary 8 times. Completing the story has to take longer than farming the money for it, and since ANet’s original intention was not to create a grind machine, this is win-win.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

If you had bothered to read and comprehend anything I said, you would have understood my point. In a fantasy GAME you should be rewarded for actually doing some HEROIC act, not by some RNG generator. It’s been that way since the dawn of P&P games and the majority of the history of PC gaming. That’s the point, this isn’t some glorious revelation or epiphany here, It’s not new. The reason that system has been around so long is because it works and makes people feel like whatever they acquire has some meaning behind it, even if it’s only in their mind since whatever it is isn’t real anyway.

Could you please stop putting words into my mouth?
I never said that the forum is about “singing the praises of how great everything is”.

You believe that the story is a heroic quest which should give you a precursor. I believe that you believe that this is true, but I don’t agree with this. The story is very very easy and therefor not heroic.
Also you are under assumption that a precursor should be droped for doing something heroic, which yet has to be proofed.
As you have stated many games use some kind of “heroic” act to get a special weapon.
But I never seen this be the case in an mmo. Every mmo I played had the following mindset: You want something good that not everyone has: farm this dungeon 100+ times. It is the core mechanic of every mmo, grinding.
Now you can say that you don’t like that, but I guess you shouldn’t be playing an mmo then.

This is the essence of the problem. ANet created Guild Wars to not be like every other MMO. Why are you trying to defend a system that the developers said they didn’t want? Yes grinding is involved in an MMO. But GW was always centered around innovation. Why not argue in favor of innovation?

My original point for this thread was threefold: that acquiring the precursor is A) based on a disproportionate amount of luck, and that telling others to buy one instead is stupid because the market is dry, and C) both methods above are not “legendary” and people’s argument that legendaries should be this rare is incredibly flawed.

Just because MMO’s use grind instead of a heroic act to acquire a special weapon doesn’t make it right. In any case, that aspect of the MMO is the most archaic compared to other games. MMO’s are unique in that the player themselves create their own hero, play as that hero, determine that hero’s story, etc. The MMO should represent the most heroic moments in game, IT IS the hero’s story. Why backpedal on that into grindmode for a weapon? In my last comment I said that I believe people are still too used to traditional MMOs and thats why they defend the old system. Your post clearly proved me correct.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Sauzo.6821

@Surferboy
Yes i read posts about that but that gold they “lost” went to some other player via TP for buying exotics, rares or mats to make either of the 2. So it wasn’t taken out of the economy, it just traded hands. The only way gold can be taken out of the economy is if it went to an NPC who would obviously not reinject that gold back in by buying something from a player.

Ad the examples i gave are just a few ideas. I mean hell for PVPers, its alittle more difficult since if you make it say kill 1000 players, people could just willing farm each other to get their precursors as in you and a buddy sit there and take turns killing each other all day. Could make it take 1000 keeps but again, would be easy to just "trade’ keeps with guilds back and forth. PVE is a much easier controlled way where as PVP is not.

And there is no way to keep it legendary since it wasn’t that way to start with. As i’ve posted before, nothing about it is hard except the precursor. As the game gets older, more and more legendaries will be made just from the fact that people will get lucky and get precursors. So it’s either make the masses happy now or make the wannabe elitists mad later when legendaries become more common by time.

Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

But if I’m an office drone and I spent my hard earned money on buying milk from the grocery store.. kitten I’m literally the devil!

you are a devil because you want the only way to get the milk to be to buy it, which is your own chosen means of work. You value money, and you want the determining factor for legendaries to be money.

Now im not saying buying something or selling it should not be an option, but it should not be the only option, and right now, it is EXACTLY the only feasible option.

2 ways of actually feasibly attempting it right now, the main determinate in either is wealth.
one is luck times wealth, the other is just pure wealth.

Now if this was a monetary simulation game, having the elite/legendary etc items being bound to wealth might make sense, but it is an adventure game.

And since you can make a lot more wealth by working in an office as a broker, than you can becoming a master soldier, hunter, artist, etc, it means the legendary game will always be one that is dominated by the office brokers.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

However, the funny thing is, in GW2 it still takes you a lot less time to get the items you want. Because you only have one layer of RNG to deal with, instead of a totally unpredictable factor of other players rolling for the same item (as anyone who played vanilla WoW, for example, can attest to).

I played vanilla WoW and I can tell you why I think you are wrong to make this comparison:

The number of possibilities of acquiring loot EVERY time you killed a boss (OMG, actually working to get something!) was 100%. It might not be a piece you want but someone can probably use it.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Nozdrum.2894

Ok so this is the problem i have with precursors is that the ENTIRE process of obtaining one is just repetitive boring farming.

I agree. And as it might be shocking for some people here: I would like a more fun methode too. All I said here

@Topic
2. Go to the MF
It is that simple.

was that there are ways to obtain the precursor other than buying it from the tp.

But as many have said before. if you make the precursor obtainable by some kind of quest it will be very hard. And ( I am repeating myself again ) Anet obviously wants only a small percentage of the population to have a precursor, thus making this quest so hard that only this small percentage will be able to finish it. What will happen? People will go to the forums and complain that it is too difficult.
The only difference will be that the craft/black lions-subforum will be filled with “<whatever>-lodestones are too expensive”-threads ( and ofc market manipulation ) and the dungeon-subforum will be filled with “precursor-quest is too difficult”-threads
Also I have yet to see a set of actions that seems worth a precursor, since it should take about the same time that is needed now. And if anyone complains about grind and wants to includes all the “kill 1 million hydra”-achievments: you sir are stupid.
At least the current way lets me choose which dungeons I farm, or in a general lets me choose how I aquire all that gold. There is already enough whine on this forum with people saying “I DONT WANT TO DUNGEON, I DONT WANT TO DO MY DAILY, I DONT WANT TO PVP, I DONT WANT TO WVWVW, I DONT WANT TO whatever”, if you force them more the whine will increase even further.

Even if people tried to rush the story, do you know how long that takes?

Did not test it myself but I would guess something between one and three days. Which would kick everyone who got his precursor by hard farming in the gut and devalue the precursor by a lot. There would be even bots for this.

and since ANet’s original intention was not to create a grind machine, this is win-win.

This is not true. They stated that there will be grind for items that are as good as any other item but look better. Dont have the sic right now. Maybe someone can help me out here.

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

^ Rushing the story would not take 1 to 3 days. Nonstop, maybe. In any case, thats 72 hours of playing, thats extremely time consuming. 72 hours for one piece of the legendary puzzle

In addition, they’re going to make Legendaries more powerful than exotics, so that argument is still invalid

Stop Precursor Elitism

in Crafting

Gregorius.1024

^And its fine if gamers whine. There are few other humans who whine more than we do, and often we whine for stupid things. However, I think there’s a legitimate reason for whining about a legendary that’s based on luck rather than based on skill. The devs are reasonable people and will listen to reasonable arguments. Do I think my argument is reasonable? Yes. Would I want the devs to see it? Yes. Should they look at other reasonable arguments? Yes. But when people start whining that the quest for precursor is too hard, hey its what we asked for, and if it can be completed we should try for it.

I do however, think that defending this current busted system is unreasonable, especially if you yourself claim to want better.