Things getting harder for casual gamers

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Did you just compare the Best in Slot equipment to a Mustang? Really?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

This is why we have an option to buy ingame gold & pay your way to 500 crafting plus ascended gear. Comes down to either you have time to play the game or pay the game, choice is yours.

And this is where you go wrong, but it is a common mistake people make when they assume that they can just pay their way into acquiring all needed ascended gear.

Ascended gear crafting recipes are designed in such a way that there 2 major components. 1 major component can be paid through with lots of gold. The other major component are account-bound items like the vision crystals and its account-bound ingredients. These can never be bought, so you have to grind for those, no way out. This is why ANet described ascended gear as being a “time-gated” reward.

You’re right, I assumed he would play some portion of the game to attain those materials. The easiest mats needed to craft too.

Lesser/reg Vision Crystal
Skill points- Just play the way you do.
Laurels- Just play the way you do. Recipe.
Dragonite/Empyreal/Bloodstone- Can all be attained by some of the easiest content ingame. World bosses, WvW, JP
Obsidian-Just play the way you do, w/multiple different ways to buy.

With GW2stuff overlay, you can knock out most world bosses, daily, & LA JP’s within a hour. The rest can be attained through gold. Like many we put aside other activities ingame when Anet first mentioned Ascended, and started farming (above mentioned) for Armor/Weapons as soon as ascended weapons were released.

This is a MMO, not a console rpg. This is not Guild Wars 1, I wonder how many times the devs have to tell players this to get through.

If you want to play a game where everyone is equal MMO’s are not your kind of game, and should start looking elsewhere. MMO’s can be played as a “casual” just don’t expect to be top tier best in slot.

Yes getting all the account-bound materials over a period of time is not hard as long as there are people zerking with you. But it still requires a substantial time investment over repeated content

doesn't it?
And what do we call this? A grind.

I remember having to 25/40m Raids, hope a bis I need drops, roll against 20+ other players, possibly ninja’d, cya next week to do it again. All for best in slot.

or the GW2 way.

for all we know by the end of 2014 start of 2015 Ascended may be far more common, sell in AH or reward/drops in content.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Both are really nice things to have. Wanting BiS could be compared to wanting a luxury item.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Crafting

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

I remember having to 25/40m Raids, hope a bis I need drops, roll against 20+ other players, possibly ninja’d, cya next week to do it again. All for best in slot.

or the GW2 way.

for all we know by the end of 2014 start of 2015 Ascended may be far more common, sell in AH or reward/drops in content.

Never experienced raids, never played WoW. Why? Too expensive and too time intensive which was why I played GW1 instead and moved to GW2, thinking it would be similar in design philosophy to GW1. Wrong! Turns out GW2 is a totally different beast from GW1, it is as if it was created by a totally different company.

in Crafting

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

Also gear treadmill would imply that there are tiers after tier after tiers non-stop every six months. Adding one and only one tier is hardly a treadmill. Would you call it a treadmill had ascended stuffs been released at launch at the cost of say roughly 1000g per item?

By your definition, then it is just not possible for ANY game to have a gear treadmill. An infinite number of gear tiers simply does not exist in real life and it is not possible to implement since computer resources are always limited.

Having a problem of reading comprehension do we? I never said anything about infinite number of gear tiers.

1. Releasing new tiers after tiers non-stop every six months does not imply anything about infinite tiers. I can keep counting 1,2,3,4,5,… til I die and wouldn’t able to reach infinity and it would still be able to consider “non-stop” but it’s relative to my lifespan. The word non-stop in that paragraph is relative to the lifespan of the game only. As time passes games that keep releasing new tiers provide an example of gear treadmill. Games like WoW is an example of gear treadmill. They release new and more power tier as time goes on with expansion as clearly exemplified by previous expansions.
2. Guild Wars 2 has a stop. There won’t be another tier after ascended as officially announced during interview.

That’s where the difference lie.

in Crafting

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

2. Guild Wars 2 has a stop. There won’t be another tier after ascended as officially announced during interview.

There were also equally official statements that the vertical progression will continue, and that they definitely intend to raise the level cap. And of course that tier itself got introduced by going back on previous official statements, so no, i would not put too much faith in it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Crafting

Posted by: Abriel.4103

Abriel.4103

You know.. I have a family and a full time job, and like video games. I decided to get this game cause it was supposed to be balanced. Your win/lose situation on WvWvW (I don’t play dungeons) would depend on player’s ability, not on gear.

First, I think you’re wrong on several counts depend on how you look at thing:

- Assuming you talk about solo roaming: Gears have always been a factor in WvWvW since launch, a full green going against a full exotic assuming equal skill level will be a pretty one side battle.
- Assuming you talk about moving with zerg group: Gears have never been a factor before, and certainly ain’t gonna be a factor now. 99% of the battle outcome will still be decided by the movement and positioning of the group.

So in short, Ascended Gears didn’t change anything in WvWvW like you claim. You’re sure you’re not talking about SPvP? Since if you want an equal playing field, that’s where you want to be.

Secondly, please don’t draw the ‘I have a family and a job’ card. Have you ever stopped and think for 3 seconds that most ‘average human’ being will have those two things? It’s a game, if you can’t commit the time to play it, then don’t, you can make that choice. Given a month than probably everyone and their brothers will run around in ascended armor, you’re sure your complain is not terming from the desire of to have one right now? :P

in Crafting

Posted by: Paciunek.2496

Paciunek.2496

You know.. I have a family and a full time job, and like video games. I decided to get this game cause it was supposed to be balanced. Your win/lose situation on WvWvW (I don’t play dungeons) would depend on player’s ability, not on gear.

Now all this craze about making ascended armors and weapons. I definitive DON"T have the time to farm stuff and laurels and bla bla bla don’t know what other stuff needed to make a set or a weapon. Even the hardcore gamer’s that can have the time to farm are complaining about the difficulty and the TIME to getting the mats.

Soon, lots of people that can afford to play this game all day, will have ascended stuff vs the normal players that the most they can afford is exotic.

This game is just becoming like the rest of online FARMING video games. If I wanted to do hardcore farming, I would play Farmville, for Christ’s sake.

You know that games are made for people that have the time to play? When threads like “I have a family and a full time job” stop appearing everywhere? Nobody really cares and nobody forces you to play whole day.
You don’t play dungeons = you don’t run fractals, so you don’t need agony resistance. Difference in stats is minimal, many people won’t even bother to change whole gear, what is the problem then? Every game requires farming, that’s the point of mmos, farm your way (one or another) to be the best, or be casual for ever.

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

Both are really nice things to have. Wanting BiS could be compared to wanting a luxury item.

No….compared to wanting nearly the BEST luxury item (and a Mustang IS NOT that). Sorry, but I consider it hilarious you consider a Mustang a “luxury” item at all, but I don’t want to be mean (but I do have at least a dozen jokes churning in my head right now). Thank you for amusing me (it’s not difficult).

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Crafting

Brother Grimm.5176

There were also equally official statements that the vertical progression will continue, and that they definitely intend to raise the level cap. And of course that tier itself got introduced by going back on previous official statements, so no, i would not put too much faith in it.

Beyond introducing Legendary Armor and Jewelry, I’d put a LOT of faith that there will not be much (if any) further progression. If they seriously wanted endless gear grind, they would have introduced two or three new tiers for gear in this first year…not just one.

It amazes me how some players (not necessarily you) just go out of their way to look at the negative side of everything ANet does. I at least attempt to take a balanced view of what they are trying to accomplish before assuming they are just out to get me.

Why do you guys keep playing their game if you are so convinced they are evil, greedy monsters trying to screw over players with every action?

in Crafting

DarkSpirit.7046

Also gear treadmill would imply that there are tiers after tier after tiers non-stop every six months. Adding one and only one tier is hardly a treadmill. Would you call it a treadmill had ascended stuffs been released at launch at the cost of say roughly 1000g per item?

By your definition, then it is just not possible for ANY game to have a gear treadmill. An infinite number of gear tiers simply does not exist in real life and it is not possible to implement since computer resources are always limited.

Having a problem of reading comprehension do we? I never said anything about infinite number of gear tiers.

1. Releasing new tiers after tiers non-stop every six months does not imply anything about infinite tiers. I can keep counting 1,2,3,4,5,… til I die and wouldn’t able to reach infinity and it would still be able to consider “non-stop” but it’s relative to my lifespan. The word non-stop in that paragraph is relative to the lifespan of the game only. As time passes games that keep releasing new tiers provide an example of gear treadmill. Games like WoW is an example of gear treadmill. They release new and more power tier as time goes on with expansion as clearly exemplified by previous expansions.

There is no game under heaven that releases a new gear tier every six months non-stop. So by your ridiculous definition, there is just no game that has a gear treadmill.

No game dev team, in their right minds, would waste their resources on adding a new gear tier every six months, non-stop.

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

Beyond introducing Legendary Armor and Jewelry, I’d put a LOT of faith that there will not be much (if any) further progression. If they seriously wanted endless gear grind, they would have introduced two or three new tiers for gear in this first year…not just one.

But there was an endless grind. Anytime it stopped, they introduced another piece of ascended gear. And the statements i mentioned did happen, and by the same person (Chris Whiteside) you refer to when claiming no further gear progression. If you believe one, you should equally believe the others.

Actions, not words.

in Crafting

Posted by: aeroh.8930

aeroh.8930

They won’t release a new tier of items. But what they will do, and what they said they would do way back when, is increase the level cap. And people will have to grind for new gear all over again.

in Crafting

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

Soon, lots of people that can afford to play this game all day, will have ascended stuff vs the normal players that the most they can afford is exotic.

Sooooo… what you’re saying is that you’re Entitled to have the same gear and wealth of a player than can play 10x more than you? How is this fair?

Using the real world as an example: “You work a 40 hour week, and make $50,000 a year. Should someone working only 10 hours a week, make the same amount as you per year for doing the same type of work?”

This game was sold as an MMO with horizontal progression. Ascended gear is clearly a vertical progression mechanic and can make a pretty big difference in WvW. That Colin quote that has become cliche is what was sold to us. What we got was a gear treadmill like WoW, except unlike WoW… there aren’t very many viable ways to attain that gear except to craft it.

Its fair that casuals and hardcores get the same gear in a game that was marketed and sold to us as one with horizontal… not vertical progression. If you are still looking at “fair” as time=shinies, that wasn’t what Anet sold to us. That is what has been drilled into your head from WoW.

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

However you cut it, the Ascended gear that makes a difference is accessible to everyone, even very casual players. There isn’t a valid complaint here. This might offend some sensibilities but … it’s not about what is fair. If your level of play only allows you to outfit yourself in a lower tier of stuff that’s not the game’s problem or Anet’s, it’s yours. People need to stop setting themselves up to blame gear for their failure or lack of success.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Crafting

Stars.2179

There is no game under heaven that releases a new gear tier every six months non-stop. So by your ridiculous definition, there is just no game that has a gear treadmill.

No game dev team, in their right minds, would waste their resources on adding a new gear tier every six months, non-stop.

XD You should check out Rappelz, and other Korean grindfests. WoW is another example though milder, maybe not every six months for this game, but definitely every year or so.

in Crafting

DarkSpirit.7046

XD You should check out Rappelz, and other Korean grindfests. WoW is another example though milder, maybe not every six months for this game, but definitely every year or so.

They did not come up with a new gear tier every 6 months, non-stop, so by your biased definition, they don’t have a gear treadmill either.

in Crafting

Paciunek.2496

New gear available after 1,5 year!
NOOOOO what a unfair grindfest! Who can possibly afford that luxury, exotic is so expensive and time consuming!
Seriously? In WoW you have to be in good guild, raid a lot and you can’t be sure you’ll get anything in weeks. In GW2 I was 80 and full exotic after first month of the game. You don’t even have to play to get gear in this game. Stop crying. At least they finally did what they promised, it’s something new (that doesn’t involve Scarlet!), but apparently people have a need to complain about everything they release.

in Crafting

DarkSpirit.7046

Seriously? In WoW you have to be in good guild, raid a lot and you can’t be sure you’ll get anything in weeks..

Which was why I never wanted to play WoW. Saying that it is ok in GW2 because WoW is like this, doesn’t make this any better.

The last thing we need is to make GW2 into a WoW-wannabe.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

in Crafting

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

However you cut it, the Ascended gear that makes a difference is accessible to everyone, even very casual players. There isn’t a valid complaint here. This might offend some sensibilities but … it’s not about what is fair. If your level of play only allows you to outfit yourself in a lower tier of stuff that’s not the game’s problem or Anet’s, it’s yours. People need to stop setting themselves up to blame gear for their failure or lack of success.

Ascended gear makes a difference, yes.
Accessible yes.
Time line, not casual friendly at all nor even remotely close.
Game breaker? That depends on how you play.

I don’t think the OP is complaining either, I believe it is just a conversation or note about how they feel it impacts them. Full ascended will make a difference in stats across two meta play styles in the game. Not sure why people try and argue it doesn’t but do the simple math. It increases stats and provides different options is stat distribution. The good news is that we don’t have gear score nor do we get to inspect others Nor do we have add-ons that do it for us.

The bad news though is that some things are time gated or gear gated by default and that can, and will, impact some of the player base. This is typical though in most non-console games because there are abusers of the system and bugs that get rich, there are power and smart players who know how to manipulate things, and there are casual gamers who play and need to maximize their time. Those who do it better, well, kudo’s to them. Those that don’t get caught up in the grind and get left behind I guess.

Anyway, I see the OP’s side of things. The game (GW2) does not allow casual players a way to collect items for some of the more difficult things to make. If he/she had an hour to play, wanted to farm some T6 mats, GW2 doesn’t really offer a ideal way to do so and get a solid return on investment.

Proxy by bots I say. They try and control the market and restrict botting and this is the price casual gamers play unless you spend that time in the 2 week content that allows mass farming…Or you abuse exploits like the sPvP fellas did with glory and win trading, etc, etc, etc.

Sorry OP. Pretty soon most casual gamers will go to consoles I believe. Or, do what I do. Don’t get caught up in the rat race and play to escape reality. Do what you can. No regrets.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Crafting

Paciunek.2496

Seriously? In WoW you have to be in good guild, raid a lot and you can’t be sure you’ll get anything in weeks..

Which was why I never wanted to play WoW. Saying that it is ok in GW2 because WoW is like this, doesn’t make this any better.

I’ve never said that it’s better or GW2 should be like this, don’t make things up. I just can’t understand how can people say that first and, so far, only new gear is so grindy and casual unfriendly. It can be CRAFTED, anytime. Nothing grindy about that. GW2 is the most casual friendly game I’ve ever seen, hardcore players gave up long ago and left. Everything that requires a little effort is a reason for threads like this, that’s why this game will never fully satisfy anyone. If people don’t want any changes, I think they should have stay on Tetris. This is MMO and new gear or level cap will be always main goal for progress.

in Crafting

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

causal gaming have noting to to with getting stuff
getting stuff = time input

is it fair ppl who play 10 min a day to have the same stuff i have when i play 12-14h a day

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

in Crafting

Astralporing.1957

is it fair ppl who play 10 min a day to have the same stuff i have when i play 12-14h a day

Untrue. Casuals do not always play less. What they do is play less efficiently. And it is just impossoble to get ascended gear at all unless you play specifically to get it. You could play 12 hours a day, every day, but unless you happen to do those specific things that lead to obtaining ascended gear, you will get outstripped easily by someone who only plays 1h a day and uses all that time for TP flipping.

Actions, not words.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I don’t see what the big deal is. If you’re a casual player, play WvWvW casually if that’s what you want to do. If you’re in it for the 1v1 fights, look into sPvP instead.

I have 29/50 WvWvW player kills filled up on my monthly from one day where I brought my lv35 under-geared Mesmer into WvWvW. Zergs clashed in a very long battle at our keep in EB, I only died twice during that period.

I don’t feel like anything is stopping me from playing WvWvW if I want to. I have done small groups with a character that is 80 with still only just all rares and a few exotics from drops and we had much success flipping camps and sentries. Sure, we got stomped a few times – but I really doubt better gear would have prevented a zerg from running us over or being outnumbered or just not being great at PvP (I’m not great at 1v1 because I hardly ever do it and I know others in my group’d said the same thing). The amount of times we died wasn’t high enough to be a bother or entirely discouraging.

While Ascended for at least one of my characters is on my list of long-term goals I don’t really feel that motivated to get it as fast as possible because I’m doing fine at everything I want to do without it and there are other things I want more first. I am not doing high-level Fractals, but I can do WvWvW, dungeons, whatever I want.

You can crunch numbers, but what is it actually holding you back from doing ?

in Crafting

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

Untrue. Casuals do not always play less. What they do is play less efficiently. And it is just impossoble to get ascended gear at all unless you play specifically to get it. You could play 12 hours a day, every day, but unless you happen to do those specific things that lead to obtaining ascended gear, you will get outstripped easily by someone who only plays 1h a day and uses all that time for TP flipping.

crafting acendet is absolutely the same as crafting exotic, just more expensive
casual ppl can get everything that hard core ppl do, but it will take longer
if you define as casual you can not compare to hard core, so why the QQ ?

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

in Crafting

Stars.2179

They did not come up with a new gear tier every 6 months, non-stop, so by your biased definition, they don’t have a gear treadmill either.

Yes they did =) perhaps maybe not every six months but definitely every expansion and will keep releasing new tiers next year. Guild Wars 2 won’t.

in Crafting

Stars.2179

Guild Wars 2 is never a WoW-wannable. Guild Wars 2 is a million times better than WoW. No power creep. Ascended is the highest tier. There won’t be any higher. You know you just have to play your ascended gears. It’s not that hard. Ascended armor is released for 5 days and I l already got 15 bolts of damask (required 25 for heavy armor). It’s easy. But if you are not willing to get the gear, obviously you won’t have it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This game was sold as an MMO with horizontal progression. Ascended gear is clearly a vertical progression mechanic and can make a pretty big difference in WvW. That Colin quote that has become cliche is what was sold to us. What we got was a gear treadmill like WoW, except unlike WoW… there aren’t very many viable ways to attain that gear except to craft it.

Its fair that casuals and hardcores get the same gear in a game that was marketed and sold to us as one with horizontal… not vertical progression. If you are still looking at “fair” as time=shinies, that wasn’t what Anet sold to us. That is what has been drilled into your head from WoW.

I’m talking about fairness in the accumulation of in game wealth. So what you’re saying is that Casual players should be able to kill ten rats, and get 500 Gold, where as I had to farm Champ bags for days to get the same amount? Just because one player feels Entitled to the same amount of stuff I have, doesn’t make it fair.

All games are based on time and rewards. If you put in time to do something, you get rewards. Do a dungeon run, get a reward. Do a Fractal run, get a reward. Farm Champs all day long, get rewards.

No….compared to wanting nearly the BEST luxury item (and a Mustang IS NOT that). Sorry, but I consider it hilarious you consider a Mustang a “luxury” item at all, but I don’t want to be mean (but I do have at least a dozen jokes churning in my head right now). Thank you for amusing me (it’s not difficult).

When you grew up poor, having any car is considered a luxury. As for my analogy of the Mustang, have you even seen the upcoming models for it? Epically awesome, and totally out of my price range. BUT… just like with BiS gear, I can get it if I work towards it. I can’t have it right away, but given time, I will.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Crafting

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

1a.) Ascended gear is not necessary and only most effective in fractals.
1b.) Ascended gear is targeted at the entire player-base. People who prefer WvW, dungeons, fractals, world bosses; everyone is constantly getting miniscule amounts of mats for this crap. If it was intended to be targeted towards “endgame”/high end fractals it should have required only fractal specific materials.

2.) It is a gear grind. The only difference is if you’re having fun or not. Since we’ve already played the WoW card:

Two hours or less of raiding NEW content with a high probability of getting at least one upgrade vs Time-gated transmutes plus heavy farming for materials in multiple areas of the game, quite possibly one of which you may not even enjoy, all of which is mostly OLD content.

Congrats on making an endgame literally worst than raiding.

3.)

The hardest part is convincing yourself that you don’t need ascended.

This.

Legendary Defender of Casuals

(edited by Squee Squashington.5189)