What happens to the unlucky ones?

in Crafting

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

So, on one side we have players who got their precursors early and while I’d feel a bit robbed if I were them they did as people say “get their’s early for their investment” (Still doesn’t seem like a fair trade)

And on the other hand you have the masses cheering that they soon will have precursors far easier and cheaper (If getting the other 60% of the stuff is made easier too it’ll be even more salt in the wound)

But, what about those of us who’ve fallen down the gap? – have sunk lots of money into getting a precursor/legend, but never obtained one. Are we meant to cheer that we’ll never see a return on that investment, nor reap the so called benefits of being early adopters? (The precursor/legend materials market has already begun to devalue ahead of speculation)

- A concerned, and much poorer citizen than last week

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Crafting

Posted by: FireSnake.7536

FireSnake.7536

does someone pushed you to do this?? legendary its only a nice skin with stats of 3,5g exotic weapon

btw you can get this super b legendary weapon http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rusttooth

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

“sunk lots of money” = Gambled at the forge right?

in Crafting

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

But, what about those of us who’ve fallen down the gap? – have sunk lots of money into getting a precursor/legend, but never obtained one. Are we meant to cheer that we’ll never see a return on that investment, nor reap the so called benefits of being early adopters? (The precursor/legend materials market has already begun to devalue ahead of speculation)

You are looking at it all wrong. Game are like a horse race. You speculate about the winning strategy, sometimes it pays off, other times it backfires in your face. But it’s not the dev’s fault that you put your money on the wrong horse,it’s just a bad choice. And it’s not your fault either unless you can see in the future. You just have to swallow the loss and move on. Although I’m not quite sure what your problem is right now? That you kept gambling with precursors? Or that you gathered the other mats? either way, I don’t see any of those as a lost investment… You lost on the precursor when you pressed “forge” and didn’t get the desired item(which has nothing to do with the changes). The rest of mats are still just as useful…

in Crafting

Ryuujin.8236

If the game was to continued business as usual then the strategy would pay off (At least there’s a 95% chance of it paying off according to my calculations and strategy – could end up in the unlucky 5% still but as you say business is a gamble, you place your money and win or lose – a strong knowledge of mathematics and a degree in physics though go a long way to ensuring the numbers are on your side)

My gripe is that the developers intervened in the economy. This riding on the back of another huge mess caused by the market inflation the last week which is also a direct result of Arenanet intervention. I wonder where John Smith stands on all this economic shenanigans; this thread might’ve been better placed in the BLTP forum. I can’t figure out what arenanet is trying to do with their trading post; it’s complexity goes far beyond any mere auctionhouse, yet they’re being too hands on for the economy to properly establish itself.

I’m just getting a little fed up of arenanet moving all my business and class goalposts and kicking me in the kitten patch after patch after patch – if this next patch doesn’t work out I’m done.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

in Crafting

TWMagimay.9057

If the game was to continued business as usual then the strategy would pay off (At least there’s a 95% chance of it paying off according to my calculations and strategy – could end up in the unlucky 5% still but as you say business is a gamble, you place your money and win or lose – a strong knowledge of mathematics and a degree in physics though go a long way to ensuring the numbers are on your side)

My gripe is that the developers intervened in the economy. This riding on the back of another huge mess caused by the market inflation the last week which is also a direct result of Arenanet intervention. I wonder where John Smith stands on all this economic shenanigans; this thread might’ve been better placed in the BLTP forum. I can’t figure out what arenanet is trying to do with their trading post; it’s complexity goes far beyond any mere auctionhouse, yet they’re being too hands on for the economy to properly establish itself.

I’m just getting a little fed up of arenanet moving all my business and class goalposts and kicking me in the kitten patch after patch after patch – if this next patch doesn’t work out I’m done.

The problem is, your plan didn’t count in a factor. Namely, game development. That is, actually, the most common reason why gambles backfire in games. People hold onto items expecting them to rise in price and then suddenly those become obsolete or easier to get. That is actually the only variable in most calculations. Without dev intervention, you can expect prices of certain items(like, precursors) to keep rising indefinitely as the demand increases over time. There is no statistic, math or w/e needed to see that. And buying precursors, waiting for the price to rise would be a sure thing, not a bet. The real challenge is to know when to sell(like with stocks). The hint here was when the forum was swarmed with “QQ precursor RNG QQ”-topics. That’s actually when you made your bet. You bet that the devs won’t do anything about it. And you lost. Those who bet on a change won. It’s that simple. You can’t expect to have sure win when you are gambling xD

in Crafting

Ryuujin.8236

Indeed, I can see that now

Kind’ve takes the wind out my sails a lot, because the economic “minigame” of GW2 is a big deal for me, but if Arenanet can at any time without warning change the rules of the game it puts me off playing it.

The hint here was when the forum was swarmed with “QQ precursor RNG QQ”-topics.

In fairness, the forums have been one long QQ from BWE3 til now.

“QQ warriors are ruining everything”, “QQ dungeons are too hard”, “QQ mesmers are ruining everything”, “QQ I don’t have a legendary after 1 week”, “QQ thieves are ruining everything”, “QQ 3 months and I still don’t have a legend”… you get my point

Ironic really because there are MMO’s out there that have succeeded solely BECAUSE they allowed the game’s economy to grow and drive itself forward (ie. EVE)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

It’s not really ironic, though. The driving philosophy behind EVE is a completely different one to that of GW2, so of course they’re going to handle things differently.

In any case, with regards to the economic “minigame”, it just means that you have to think of ArenaNet as one of the factors you have to think about in every decision you make. Just as some people lose out when ArenaNet changes something, other people will gain from it.

In particular, it’s pretty ridiculous to complain about ArenaNet’s recent bot bannings and the effect on the economy. Would you really prefer it if they simply gave the bots free rein?

in Crafting

Ryuujin.8236

In particular, it’s pretty ridiculous to complain about ArenaNet’s recent bot bannings and the effect on the economy. Would you really prefer it if they simply gave the bots free rein?

Gawd no, I think we all knew the well of cheap supply would dry up eventually. Doesn’t change the fact it made the crafting business grind to a halt overnight but it was something I had expected.

What was less expected is them caving in to the QQ’rs on precursors

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Crafting

lackofcheese.5617

I was OK with the current system, but I don’t really see the change as “caving in to the QQ’rs”. I expect ArenaNet decided that a significant fraction of players were unhappy with the system, and that changing it would be an improvement to the game as a whole.

Yes, of course that’s going to have an effect on the economy, but I don’t think that should stand in the way of ArenaNet seeking to improve flaws in the game.

in Crafting

TWMagimay.9057

Indeed, I can see that now

Kind’ve takes the wind out my sails a lot, because the economic “minigame” of GW2 is a big deal for me, but if Arenanet can at any time without warning change the rules of the game it puts me off playing it.

The hint here was when the forum was swarmed with “QQ precursor RNG QQ”-topics.

In fairness, the forums have been one long QQ from BWE3 til now.

“QQ warriors are ruining everything”, “QQ dungeons are too hard”, “QQ mesmers are ruining everything”, “QQ I don’t have a legendary after 1 week”, “QQ thieves are ruining everything”, “QQ 3 months and I still don’t have a legend”… you get my point

Ironic really because there are MMO’s out there that have succeeded solely BECAUSE they allowed the game’s economy to grow and drive itself forward (ie. EVE)

I have to say, you probably aren’t very good at the economy game to begin with. For one, you don’t seem to understand that it’s not about random QQ. It’s about noticing the QQ that’s important to your plan. If you were trying to resell precursors(which would be the only way the announcement could lead to lost investment), random mesmer-OP or w/e QQ is completely irrelevant. But QQ that’s about the items you are betting on should’ve registered. Gaming experience(aka, knowing that if there’s enough QQ, devs cave in and give the public what it wants) would’ve told you the rest.

The EVE part was already explained. The game is economy simulator by design. And it has to be left alone to fulfil the entire purpose of playing EVE…. GW2 is a completely different type of MMO where economy is just a hobby.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cathgar.7581

Cathgar.7581

So where are all of these release notes that state it’s going to be a lot easier and cheaper to get precursors?

Or are people just pulling suppositions out of thin air?

Until the supposed changes are implemented, no one can say how much easier/cheaper they will be to get.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ulquiorra.6903

Ulquiorra.6903

just from the gms announcements alone it is already cheaper to get precurors… =D

in Crafting

lackofcheese.5617

Yeah, it could easily end up getting cheaper before the patch than it will be after, due to the rush to sell.

in Crafting

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

The unlucky ones? The farmers. The biggest QQ’rs of all, the people that cannot watch their own lane and consistently try to ruin the make believe economy. The farmers QQ because a different method is being……WAIT A MINUTE, what does QQ actually mean? Actually nothing, being two q’s in a series and only having meaning to trolling farmers and internet kiddies thinking it’s cute. Point made, on to business.

So from the thread i am to garner the farmers are the unlucky ones and angry over the unknown upcoming change, but since they are the minority, and yet have alot of trading post power, because they are farmers, what they type matters the most? Being a hardcore farmer is something popular because of a screwed up game mechanic, similar to AION and other korean farming MMO’s, that is why Anet is backpeddling now.

Folks, the game is made for gamers, that being everyone, simply because ANET screwed the pooch in game mechanic design favoring a small demographic farming sect doesnt mean it will remain so. We gamers will complain until it is fixed by the way, regardless of what nifty letter combos the troll farmers decide to use or call us.

GW2 was supposed to prevent these very threads. Prevent people from worrying about each other, prevent class warfare, prevent the farmers verse the gamers inherent in other mmo’s, and prevent the stagnant economy(as make believe as it is), it failed at all levels. Lets see what this big update accomplishes to remedy all this. I think someone on Anets team lost the card that said we need to hire a common sense imagineer.

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kacigarka.5176

Kacigarka.5176

So where are all of these release notes that state it’s going to be a lot easier and cheaper to get precursors?

Or are people just pulling suppositions out of thin air?

Until the supposed changes are implemented, no one can say how much easier/cheaper they will be to get.

NO ONE have ever said that after the update precursors are going to be cheap or easyer to obtain .. learn to read properly

They said, they will ADD ways to obtain precursor differently than mystic forge RNG. Dont expect prices of precursor drops to 50-100g.

What I think ‘’scavanger hunt’’ mean is fixed recipe, where you need to farm material for 200-300 gold. And believe me, the recipe wont be cheap at all, it has to be on the same level with mystic forge price. They add this way only because of players complaining precursors are about LUCK and some precursors like Dusk are overpriced at TP (400g)

Anyway .. back to OP.
You had also the opportunity to buy precursor cheap after the release, everyone has. You cant blame anyone but yourself for not buying it. Those who bought them cheap are smart players using the opportunity.
They didnt know if prices will increase or dont. They risked it. When if they bought it for those 50g and now the prices were 10g, would they complain? No.

Myself I bought my precursor recently from TP and I dont know if price will inrease or decrease and if it does decrease I cant complain.

You cant complain or blame anyone for beeing unlucky or not smart enought to buy precursor cheap. Thats just lol.

(edited by Kacigarka.5176)

in Crafting

Posted by: Cathgar.7581

Cathgar.7581

@Kacigarka.
My post was to the OP as he stated that they are going to be far easier and cheaper to get, so maybe you should learn to read properly.

I was calling the OP out on where he got his info from with regards to them being easier and cheaper to get as he stated in his OP.

in Crafting

Posted by: rich.3417

rich.3417

this is just the beginning, first the whiners (whether they are unlucky, lazy or anti-pve) cry about no easy way to get precursor, now ANet will change that. Then the mats price gone up and they are at it again. It’s a continuous cycle, once Anet cave in to their demand, it will never stop, because they know they can keep whine and kitten til they get their wishes.

in Crafting

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

It’s like with GW1’s obsidian set, just done a bit earlier. The relative price of obsidian armor set, the most expensive and prestiguous set of the game, was very high in the beginning when ectos used to craft it cost over 20k a piece. Then, after some updated, new skills, consumables and stuff, new builds came up, making farming ectos pretty easy and they fell as low as 4,5k a glob. The amount of globs needed to craft the armor was the same all the time.
So someone who got their obsidian set ‘early on’ payed over 4 times more than someone who bought their set when ectos fell down – because of game updates. Sure, not as blatant as we are supposedly about to see now, but still it were the devs who drove the relative price of obsidian down, in a way.

What can be done about it?
Completely nothing.

But!
You craft legendaries for your own fun, first and foremost, and your own sense of accomplishment. If i were someone who has crafted a legendary already, i would feel even more accomplishment and showing-off rights knowing that i got it when it was harder. I could even boast that ‘back when i got my legendary…’.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

It’s a slippery slope for Anet from here on. They will have to nerfing legendary materials.

Before, you had 10 people crafting the Twilight. With upcoming patch, that number might become 100 or 1000. But guess what? There’s only 200 Onyx Lodestone and 400 Charge Lodestone for sale. They just f’d the market since your increasing demand for these items without addressing the supply issue.

in Crafting

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

It’s like with GW1’s obsidian set, just done a bit earlier. The relative price of obsidian armor set, the most expensive and prestiguous set of the game, was very high in the beginning when ectos used to craft it cost over 20k a piece. Then, after some updated, new skills, consumables and stuff, new builds came up, making farming ectos pretty easy and they fell as low as 4,5k a glob. The amount of globs needed to craft the armor was the same all the time.
So someone who got their obsidian set ‘early on’ payed over 4 times more than someone who bought their set when ectos fell down – because of game updates. Sure, not as blatant as we are supposedly about to see now, but still it were the devs who drove the relative price of obsidian down, in a way.

What can be done about it?
Completely nothing.

But!
You craft legendaries for your own fun, first and foremost, and your own sense of accomplishment. If i were someone who has crafted a legendary already, i would feel even more accomplishment and showing-off rights knowing that i got it when it was harder. I could even boast that ‘back when i got my legendary…’.

This. I did this with Gwamm HOM (all 50 points) and Survivor. I never used Discord way or those cheap kitten builds you see on that piece of kitten PVX site. If I used a few, I made the builds before anyone knew about the builds (used them before they were cool) such as splinter barrage and SoS spammer.

Its kinda of the same thing kudos to those that did it first the hard way,

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.