Why are gathering items soulbound? Account bound would be nice...

in Crafting

Posted by: Hostile.4925

Hostile.4925

(I tried searching but it’s a bit wonky for some reason.)

Why can’t these items at least be account bound so we can pass them along to our lower level characters?

in Crafting

Posted by: Prophet.6954

Prophet.6954

That’s a great point. I end up destroying them half the time…and thats even some of the second highest tier…as there is nothing worse then showing up to an orichalum ore you spent 3 silver to teleport to, and getting ‘ruined ore’ from having a lower tier pickaxe.

Would love those to go to another char vs me just destroying them with plenty of life left. Maybe put this in suggestions instead of crafting, as it’s actually tied to gathering, not crafting?

in Crafting

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Other people have suggested have slots for each level, and the game automatically uses the right tool, or being able to sell the items back for a pro-rated price to a vendor.

I would prefer the first one, which would clear up the issue and inventory problems.

RIP in peace Robert

in Crafting

Hostile.4925

Other people have suggested have slots for each level, and the game automatically uses the right tool, or being able to sell the items back for a pro-rated price to a vendor.

I would prefer the first one, which would clear up the issue and inventory problems.

That is definitely a more sophisticated option but it would keep us from wasting higher level tools on lower level stuff.

in Crafting

Posted by: Snerf.1650

Snerf.1650

I’m actually quite curious why these items are soulbound in the first place.

As someone that has lots of alts, it would be great to be able to swap them around to particular characters as they are in appropriate zones. Making them account bound could only be a good thing, and I would love it if this change was made. It hurts my mild ocd to have to lug around and keep many different kinds of gathering tools with varying amounts of uses

in Crafting

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

When the game started, you could sell them back to the vendor for a pro-rated amount. At some point right after launch, you could no longer sell them and they became soulbound. Additionally, there is no warning that they are soulbound when you purchase them. I assume this was a “fix” for some sort of problem that was discovered with selling them (maybe they sold too well?) and no further action has been taken to date.

Account-bound would be much easier to deal with, especially since you can get gathering tools from chests that can be opened by any character. I have some gathering tools that are just wasting bank space because I opened a mystic chest with a low-level character and no one else can use them. Also, the tools are restricted by level anyway so it’s not like you could really exploit anything.

in Crafting

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Yes the gathering tools in the way they are handled right now is lunacy. Personally I hate that food gathering tools the worst. There is no true way to know what food they handle. Some food in the zone one tool can handle it then some in another part of the zone the tool destroys it.

Nothing like getting carrots in a level 60 zone when you get carrots in a level 10 zone.

And then the green reward tools??? you have no clue what they are good for gathering… Mainly they were good for throwing out as I didn’t want to risk trying to find the zone levels they were good for.

Soulbound tools are a joke. It becomes another “tax” on the character. You basically throw them out to save space or because you don’t know when you will be back in that area again. If you could give them to alts they would at least have some purpose back with them. Selling them back to the vendor for a pro rated amount makes the most sense. It’s truly not that hard to program. Each tool has a “x” value. You can even make the “X” value slightly lower than the total purchase price to kill any exploit.

in Crafting

Posted by: KokoroPixie.3786

KokoroPixie.3786

I just use the Ori gathering tools no matter what level area I am in. That way it gets all items, no damaged mats.

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I just use the Ori gathering tools no matter what level area I am in. That way it gets all items, no damaged mats.

That seems a bit too drastic but I do the same with mithril ones. It’s easy to remember what is going to need the ori axe or pick. However even this approach is annoying because merchants the lower zones don’t sell mithril or ori tools.

in Crafting

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

When the game started, you could sell them back to the vendor for a pro-rated amount. At some point right after launch, you could no longer sell them and they became soulbound. Additionally, there is no warning that they are soulbound when you purchase them. I assume this was a “fix” for some sort of problem that was discovered with selling them (maybe they sold too well?) and no further action has been taken to date.

I think I actually remember hearing about this problem. SPecifically, they would sell back for the same price no matter how many uses were left. So someone could use a pickaxe 99 times, sell it back, and buy a new one and ended up spending no more coin on it. Or something like that.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dark.6083

Dark.6083

I would have assumed it’s because you can get some of them with Karma, and they don’t like it when we can convert Karma to coin.

in Crafting

Posted by: Auris.9450

Auris.9450

you can also buy tools with karma so being able to sell tools would become a money pool by buying em with karma then reselling em for cash
but i do think making them acoutn bound would be a good option

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I would have assumed it’s because you can get some of them with Karma, and they don’t like it when we can convert Karma to coin.

You can do that conversion through crafting anyway but maybe not as efficiently.

in Crafting

Hostile.4925

As someone mentioned it also really, really sucks when you are in a zone and have to multiple levels of gathering tools. I’m in Bloodtide Coast and I can use steel mining picks but can’t use steel axes or steel sickles. What a giant pain in the rear…

in Crafting

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I agree it’s sort of annoying, especially because the all look the same in my inventory, so when I remember to swap them out, I have to mouse over each one and figure out the correct set for the tier I’m in so I can use them up.

I’m not sure why I’m all that bothered by simply destroying them though. They aren’t terribly expensive, it just seems wasteful.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams