3rd party software

3rd party software

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

So Anet said dps meters are ok. However when i bought this game i didn’t agree for other players to read data from my account thanks to 3rd party software. Why does Anet allow it?

I am sitting right now in a group where some guy is trash talking people because he is top dps and other are not (kind of hard to do it when the encounter requires to constantly kill adds, see 2nd boss wing 4). First day Anet posted this crap is allowed and we already have toxic behavior. Is this what you wanted, Anet?

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

3rd party software

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

So Anet said dps meters are ok. However when i bought this game i didn’t agree for other players to read data from my account thanks to 3rd party software. Why does Anet allow it?

I am sitting right now in a group where some guy is trash talking people because he is top dps and other are not (kind of hard to do it when the encounter requires to constantly kill adds, see 2nd boss wing 4). First day Anet posted this crap is allowed and we already have toxic behavior. Is this what you wanted, Anet?

Is it what they wanted, no probably not and if they are trash talking you and causing a problem then it’s on you to come up with a solution.

1) The solution no one likes to hear, get good
2) Block / Report
3) Start your own group

Anet can solve many problems but its ultimately on the players to police themselves and who they play with.

3rd party software

Cynz.9437

Is it what they wanted, no probably not and if they are trash talking you and causing a problem then it’s on you to come up with a solution.

1) The solution no one likes to hear, get good
2) Block / Report
3) Start your own group

Anet can solve many problems but its ultimately on the players to police themselves and who they play with.

1. he ignored boss mechanics and just did dps, i did the same just for one try to show how bs his claims are – we wiped obviously because adds need to be killed
2. yeah we did, whole group blocked him. Report won’t do anything.
3. It was just an example. I usually play with my guild, just had to pug w4 this week since we couldn’t get 10 ppl due to rl stuff.

As far as policing goes, by your logic forum moderators are not necessary, so are GMs yet we have them, for a reason. Also, as i said, i do not agree that someone can read data from my account thanks to 3rd party software.

All is Vain~

3rd party software

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

ANet weighed the pros and cons and feels that the amount of toxic behavior will be far less than the improvement that people will see in general from DPS meters. I defer to their judgement on the issue even though I do think that meters will carry some toxicity with them. Hopefully it won’t be too much though, and the people who will use it to be toxic are people that likely would have been toxic regardless of the meter. So there’s that.

3rd party software

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Of course, if this decision will result in a spike in toxic activity, well, Anet has been known to do some drastic changes to the game to avoid that. So, people that think seeing others’ stats gives them a right to trash talk, should beware.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

3rd party software

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Meters that show the dps of others without their consent have two problems:
a) they are not as accurate as a meter on your own computer, which leads to inaccurate results
b) they are like spying on others, and just like gear inspection isn’t allowed, these kinds of meters shouldn’t be allowed either

Meters that show dps on yourself, or allow others to see it with your approval do not have those issues. They are both 100% accurate AND you can’t spy with them.

There are always idiots who can’t draw valid conclusions from a meter, a dps meter is not a tool to compare your dps with others in your team. You can’t compare different roles with each other, some will always do less damage due to mechanics and because they are there to heal and/or provide boons more than damage. Unfortunately not much can be done about that, can’t educate those ignorant players, and I’m quite certain that they would be finding ways to harass others even without a dps meter.

Even between 2 characters of the exact same role a dps can’t be accurate all the time. It’s ONLY on PERFECT runs that it is actually accurate. Runs that you don’t have to do things other than your rotation, meaning you don’t have to revive someone, or use some defensive skill to help yourself, or someone else, forcing you to miss your rotation.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

3rd party software

Posted by: PanZielony.2843

PanZielony.2843

Why are u using the meter then? Ure simply making a problem from nothing ¯\(?)

3rd party software

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

just ignore idiots like tht xD

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

3rd party software

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

As far as policing goes, by your logic forum moderators are not necessary, so are GMs yet we have them, for a reason. Also, as i said, i do not agree that someone can read data from my account thanks to 3rd party software.

Classic case of missing the point.

If you don’t want to be around people who use tools inappropriately, then be the better person and don’t group with those people.

It’s not a hard concept. It’s a case of policing yourself/community. Anet can still intervene if its really needed but there’s something to be said about avoiding conflict by group with similar types of players rather than constantly coming to blows over the misguided use of information from two players acting immaturely.

3rd party software

Cynz.9437

Why are u using the meter then? Ure simply making a problem from nothing ¯\(?)

I am not using it….. those tools allow you to read info from other accounts regardless whether other person is even using those tools or gave their agreement.

Classic case of missing the point.

If you don’t want to be around people who use tools inappropriately, then be the better person and don’t group with those people.

It’s not a hard concept. It’s a case of policing yourself/community. Anet can still intervene if its really needed but there’s something to be said about avoiding conflict by group with similar types of players rather than constantly coming to blows over the misguided use of information from two players acting immaturely.

You can also say, don’t group with people that require 98023801283 LI for example. The problem is, it became so widespread, 99% of the groups run some LI requirements now. Let’s assume i didn’t want to group with those people, that leaves me with sitting for weeks looking for a group just for 1 boss.
Sure, i can make my own group, but have you tried it yourself? People join, they see you don’t have absurd requirements and instantly leave because this mindless sheep mindset is so widespread.

As far as dps meters go, idk whether the guy uses it or not until he says something about it like example above. It causes nothing but toxicity. Sure, i can kick him. But with official blessing from Anet it will eventually become so widespread, how many ppl do you think i will have to kick until i get non-toxic group?

Also, you still didn’t address my point that a player can read MY data without my agreement.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

3rd party software

PanZielony.2843

I am not using it….. those tools allow you to read info from other accounts regardless whether other person is even using those tools or gave their agreemen

afaik the only thing which it can read from your account is your gear/build/skins, now its illegal. Whats your problem then?

3rd party software

Cynz.9437

I am not using it….. those tools allow you to read info from other accounts regardless whether other person is even using those tools or gave their agreemen

afaik the only thing which it can read from your account is your gear/build/skins, now its illegal. Whats your problem then?

Have i given my agreement to it? No.

I mean by this logic you shouldn’t have any issues if i look at your bank account and private emails.

All is Vain~

3rd party software

PanZielony.2843

I mean by this logic you shouldn’t have any issues if i look at your bank account and private emails.

THOSE FEATURES ARE ILLEGAL NOW…

3rd party software

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Block this guy.
I use dps meter to get into raids with my engi. This way working for me, but I don’t care who is the best dps. This is only what I offer to squad leader (and LI..)

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

3rd party software

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

First day Anet posted this crap is allowed and we already have toxic behavior.

So just to be clear, there was no toxic behavior before?

3rd party software

Cynz.9437

and yet ppl are using it and think they are allowed to because of what anet said

they will be also not banned for it

All is Vain~

3rd party software

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

and yet ppl are using it and think they are allowed to because of what anet said

they will be also not banned for it

These things are removed from dps meter. Old version with illegal features are not supported anymore and if players use them it’s as their own risk.

Also, wing4 boss2 is not really about killing add fast, but your tank have to claim and move where adds are in order to slow them down, so you don’t have to kill all jades at the same time, but one by one. You shouldn’t lose too much dps depending of the composition. If you have a cataclyst, just ask him to play fresh air staff so add get killed by numerous aoes from it.

(edited by Khyan.7039)

3rd party software

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

These “small misconducts” will happen because Anet neither supports nor care if you’re just collecting log data. But without Anet’s direct support with their toolkit, we can’t really have a detailed log like WoW’s (e.g in a situation where you lose DPS, the logs would say if it was healing, being idle or taking heavy damage yourself and stopping to dodge or run around mindlessly).

A simple DPS meter says almost nothing, just like being good on the DPS golem is not enough for any boss if you can’t put up the DPS while mechanics are hitting you. So we’re going to see a whole new level of kittens on some cases. Whereas I’m sure there are very good squads around that are going to use it to improve themselves rather than disprove of others, so not all is lost. Yet without Anet’s support I don’t think this tool can ever be actually great.