A Raid Noob's Tale (vent)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jitson.6051

Jitson.6051

Lol I just got kicked from a raid group because I haven’t done it before. Some background: I recently started getting into doing dungeons, CoE has become my favorite. Yeah I know, late to the party, but they’re fun, and with the new Dungeon Frequenter achievement, I think the rewards are balanced and reasonable, and encourages variety, which I love =). However there are few people doing dungeons anymore because supposedly people are doing Fractals, Raids, or the easy-broken Octovine meta.

Fractals are pretty fun, but I find the scale level system obtuse, and I have too many characters, and not enough time to farmgold/craft, to care about about getting enough Ascended gear and Agony Resis to do the higher tier fractals where the rewards are actually worth it.

But then I learned that with Raids, you can save up the raid currency to buy Ascended armor, which I’m starting to care about, after I realized that you can change the stats relatively cheaply. I was like awwright! I can slowly get the ascended gear I want, without all the ridiculous crafting/farming.

So LFG, I try to join a group looking for Druid. Ranger is my first char, I’m pretty proficient in dungeons. First thing the comm asks for is insights
Me, “You mean my mastery points? How do I ping that?”
The comm pings “143 Legendary Insights”.

I reply, “sorry I don’t have those, and I wouldn’t keep them anyways since I don’t care about legendaries, am I gonna get kicked? lol”
The comm “Yeah, well you should keep them anyways, lots of raids ask for them. And sorry we’re an exp group, not looking to carry anyone”

I’m literally lmfao right now. I understand asking for 80s in dungeons, because it simply makes things faster, you’ve unlocked all your skills, probably have full exotic and a decent build. But holding on to a currency that I don’t care about, just so I can get into a pug? Go kitten yourself. Good luck waiting for another Druid.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

So let’s make sure we understand you right:

You joined a group that requested experienced people when you didn’t have any experience?

Then complained that you should be allowed to potentially weigh down experienced people while you figure out how raids work, simply because you’ve done dungeons and fractals before?

Join some learning runs instead, or create your own group with your own requirements. Do what literally everyone else who raids has done and build yourself up.

P.S. They likely found a druid pretty quick, they are very common

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

Lol I just got kicked from a raid group because I haven’t done it before. Some background: I recently started getting into doing dungeons, CoE has become my favorite. Yeah I know, late to the party, but they’re fun, and with the new Dungeon Frequenter achievement, I think the rewards are balanced and reasonable, and encourages variety, which I love =). However there are few people doing dungeons anymore because supposedly people are doing Fractals, Raids, or the easy-broken Octovine meta.

Fractals are pretty fun, but I find the scale level system obtuse, and I have too many characters, and not enough time to farmgold/craft, to care about about getting enough Ascended gear and Agony Resis to do the higher tier fractals where the rewards are actually worth it.

But then I learned that with Raids, you can save up the raid currency to buy Ascended armor, which I’m starting to care about, after I realized that you can change the stats relatively cheaply. I was like awwright! I can slowly get the ascended gear I want, without all the ridiculous crafting/farming.

So LFG, I try to join a group looking for Druid. Ranger is my first char, I’m pretty proficient in dungeons. First thing the comm asks for is insights
Me, “You mean my mastery points? How do I ping that?”
The comm pings “143 Legendary Insights”.

I reply, “sorry I don’t have those, and I wouldn’t keep them anyways since I don’t care about legendaries, am I gonna get kicked? lol”
The comm “Yeah, well you should keep them anyways, lots of raids ask for them. And sorry we’re an exp group, not looking to carry anyone”

I’m literally lmfao right now. I understand asking for 80s in dungeons, because it simply makes things faster, you’ve unlocked all your skills, probably have full exotic and a decent build. But holding on to a currency that I don’t care about, just so I can get into a pug? Go kitten yourself. Good luck waiting for another Druid.

I hate to break this to you, but the squad leader is 100% in the right on this one.

First, the squad is most likely looking for a healing druid. I doubt you were set up this way, especially after running dungeons.

Second, healing in a raid takes some getting used to, and a good druid can make or break a run. As this would have been your first ever, you just don’t have the experience. It’s much easier to learn on a dps class.

Third, even assuming you had the proper build and equipment, you’re just not experienced in raids. The group is not looking to teach someone — they want a quick kill. That’s their right. I recommend a teaching run or a guild to learn the encounter.

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

The squad leader actually was really polite. And you respond his politiness making a post to make fun of him? GL finding a group to raid, and you didnt even research a thing about it as you didnt even know what insights are.

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

Oh look this thread again

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Good luck waiting for another druid? You mean the most kitten class in game that there are 15 of for every member of your party?

Firstly, chill on the ego man. Just because you claim to be proficient in dungeons doesn’t mean you are. You yourself state you don’t do high teir fractals, which means you probably aren’t as good as you think you are.

Secondly, did that group state they were looking for someone to ping insights, or experienced in lfg? If not, i can see why you joined , through ignorance. However if they didn’t specify it was a training run, they are also in the right. Raids aren’t just something you get into by joining a random pug, and the mechanics are harder than t4 fractals. So if you aren’t doing those, then you definitely aren’t ready for raids.

This wasn’t even thread worthy.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

the mechanics are harder than t4 fractals. So if you aren’t doing those, then you definitely aren’t ready for raids.

This simply isn’t true, at least as far as I’ve seen. I’ve never done fractals beyond 50, and cleared the first wing with little personal issue. Not everyone doesn’t do tier 4 fractals because they aren’t capable of it, some people don’t do them because they’re just the same things over and over. The only mechanic that was any challenge in Spirit Vale was moving the Vale Guardian at the right moment during phase 3 prior to the changes.

The real difficulty behind the raid mechanics is the fact that there’s no way to consistently practice the late phase ones since you need to actually assemble a group to even get a chance to see them.

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

If you really want to get into raids, throwing away your insights is a poor decision. Even if you don’t care about Legendary armour. Insights aren’t the best indicator of experience, as you can get lots of them just by farming the easier bosses, but they are a good measure of dedication, which sets good and bad raiders apart.

A good druid is important to a raid group. You had zero experience, you would definitely have weighed the group down. Druid is a class you’d want to play in raids after you’ve gotten a good grasp of the boss mechanics and are familiar with the best practices of healing (there’s no set “rotation” for it). PS Warrior, Revenant, Tempest, Dragonhunter, and Daredevil would probably be much better professions for learning boss mechanics on.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

What a kitten poor attitude. And deleting your insights? There is just so much wrong with everything you posted.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I was expecting to read a rant about a raid team of experienced players making fun of you and being mean and then kick you. Instead you…

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Oh well, this reminds me of the old dungeon days, when unique snowflakes completely disregarding lfg-requirements would come shed their tears here. That said, my answer will be along similar lines:

First and most importantly: Read, understand and respect the lfg-message. If a group is looking for experienced players or want a certain amount of LI, then that is their right to do and disregarding those requirements makes YOU being the offender. In contrast, you can start your own raid-groups and put your own kind of requirements, or join groups that do practise/beginner-raids instead. As far as I’m aware, there are plenty of those available.

Secondly, no matter how delusional you are about your own gaming abilities (or rather the lack of such), there is currently NO way that dungeons or fractals could possibly prepare you for raid-difficulty. I’m not blaming this on you in particular, but rather on how there is a huge gap between those PvE-activities through game-design. Dungeons have been turned into easy-mode due to the HoT/elite-spec power creep and fractals are kinda similar. Sure, with this weeks patch they changed chaos and swamp fractal a bit to teach certain raid-mechanics, but still it’s unreasonable to assume that a relatively fresh player can bridge the gap with those. Frequent raiders have likely spent many many hours into mastering these encounters and it’s unreasonable to except that they will carry you along because you decided you need some ascended gear now.

Lastly, if you are purely looking for ascended gear, fractals as well as crafting are still your best bet. Hilarious enough, even PvP is better for that due to drops being potentially obtained no matter if you win or lose. Raids couldn’t be further away from that, sorry to say.

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

Getting your first Ascended Armor from raids is a pretty bad idea, because you need one to keep up with your team. Buying Ascended stuff with Magnetide Shards works well only if you really want to have an alt profession to raid with.

By the way to get full Ascended Set for druid or any other profession you would need 2300 shards which is 16 weeks of raiding (assuming you get 150 shards every week) and about 100 gold. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scholar_Glenna

I am sure you could get your ascended set faster by farming hard wood logs and selling it. I earn about 150g weekly by doing this so it would take me about 6 weeks to have enough gold for an ascended set. Or maybe less than that.

(edited by Assic.2746)

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Having zero legendary insights means you have killed zero raid bosses. That’s all there is to it. If you want to start raiding, look for groups advertised as training runs.

BTW- When groups are looking for a druid, they are looking for a healer.

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

OP, sounds like you’ll get kicked for your attitude even when you get plenty of LIs.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It’s cute you think you’re owed anything and that anyone who doesn’t wanna carry dead weight like yourself is elitist.

You’ve basically never killed a raid boss (what’s a legendary insight? lol) and expect to walk into a raid that wants experienced players, take the 2nd most important role (druid/healer) and expect to succeed just like that?

You’re basically the reason people become elitist in the first place. Bad players like yourself who don’t prepare, don’t read guides, don’t read LFGs, don’t know what they’re doing but feel the need to blame everything on everyone else instead of looking at yourself and wondering why nobody wants you in their pug.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: The Zealous Templar.3861

The Zealous Templar.3861

By not even knowing what li’s are you immediately tell people that you haven’t done much if any research into raids. By coming across as a person who lacks initiative you’re also much more likely to not really know your class well and certainly not know the mechanics well. This in turn means you are probably going to be dead-weight in the raids and as a druid it’s even worse, you probably will contribute a lot more to the entire raid failing.

As fishball said, most people you class as ‘elitist’ became ‘elitist’ because of their desire to avoid apathetic players like you. I’ve seen plenty of new players dodge the entire li gate and join experienced groups because they display a proactive ideology, are eager to learn and have done good preparation, unlike yourself.

I’m glad you came to the conclusion to go back to dungeons, raids weren’t designed to be completed successfully by players with your attitude.

Posted by: Arvizal.8436

Arvizal.8436

Man, this is a sad OP. They want experienced players, and as far as I can tell you have zero knowledge about raids, and the fact that you just started dungeons (all of them are easy) doesn’t help. They probably found a better druid within minutes if not less. Try joining a learning run for raids instead since you really need to learn the mechanics before doing any of the raids.You wefe. wrong here, he was right. It’s the truth, and it hurts.

Thief main since launch! – Ded Pixel – Maguuma – [SAS]

Jitson.6051

For those saying I was running dps, and they probably wanted a healer.
This is the build I run for dungeons.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Power_Glyph_Buffer

This is the build on metabattle suggested for raids.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Offensive_Healer

I see no significant differences. You can play the “Raids are on a whole diff. level than Dungeons” card, I understand, if there’s such a high entry point for Raids, I would rather not learn them anyways. The group ad was not asking for exp, they asked for Druid, 2DPS, 50+insight. I guess it wasn’t clear whether I was sarcastic or not in my OP, but I genuinely did NOT know what was meant by insights, and only assumed it meant mastery insights, and was legit surprised there was such an arbitrary requirement for keeping Legendary Insights, which I care 0% about.

My earlier post was infracted because apparently I was being rude to people who do raids in general. In case my post doesn’t get appealed, basically I’ve learned from this thread that I will NOT be learning raids, and I’ll stick to casual dungeons and fractals. I want to thank Satenia and Assic for their more thoughtful replies and feedback on ascended gear.

This kind of reminded me of the old days of GW1 HA, where people required r6+, 9+, 10+ etc groups. Waiting 30+mins for pugs only to never get past underworld. OR not being able to spare 3hours a night to pvp with my guild, so they always had other players lined up, or my schedule never matched. I thought those days were over, but I guess not, it still persists in pug raids, and I want no part of it. Thanks and bye.

I made a snappy comment in infracted post basically saying “soo long kittens! I’m gonna check whether warr is still on top in pvp, if power shatter is still viable, and if anyone has made a Herald-Ventari healing build yet”. So to follow up, power shatter is back babies! Warr is still great and I’ll look into a healing Herald later today I guess.

(edited by Jitson.6051)

Posted by: Nordom.3485

Nordom.3485

The way to get into raids is trying to find a “training run” instead of jumping into exp groups. Also, if you decide to be solo healer I think you should run magi’s/zealot’s with staff (http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Raid_Healer); zerker healer builds (especially the one you linked) are used when you have 2 druids in the squad as far as I’m aware.
I will agree that this thread was more about other people venting on your post (the same things repeated again and again) than anything else, although the original post showed anger because of ignorance mainly.
Lastly it’s hard to care about something, when you have no clue what it is; LI is basically used as a raid boss kill meter atm so you better keep them if you decide pugging

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

that guy actually say something to you before kicking you. if i am him, someone enter the party without following the party search discription is seeking for a kick, you can read right? if you enter, expect to be kick or usually people enter to try their luck.
people that form training team will say, this is a training raid, all welcome. .. party search that says. this is exp team only exp players meaning experience raid players not dungeon run not fractal run. exp in raids meaning they have been through the party wipe over and over and over and over. what do you expect? next time, read exactly what they ask for and you wont get upset that way.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

The group ad…asked for Druid…50+insight

~Precedes to join group with 0 insights~

~Gets frustrated for being kicked (in addition to an explanation for why the kick happened)~

^ Poor edicate on your part, OP. But that is OK, you can learn from this. Until you have the bling to prove your experience in raid encounters, create your own LFG postings for beginner runs — or find a guild designed to cater to people in your position (there are lots).

NSPride <3

Razor.9872

NSPride <3

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

“basically I’ve learned from this thread that I will NOT be learning raids, and I’ll stick to casual dungeons and fractals.”

Then you didn’t pay attention to anything. Multiple people have said “Join LEARNING runs rather than exp runs until you get the experience” and you took “I can’t learn raids” from that? Problem might be you, bro

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Razor.9872

“basically I’ve learned from this thread that I will NOT be learning raids, and I’ll stick to casual dungeons and fractals.”

Then you didn’t pay attention to anything. Multiple people have said “Join LEARNING runs rather than exp runs until you get the experience” and you took “I can’t learn raids” from that? Problem might be you, bro

^

We’re all just trying to help you out, OP; we were pointing out your mistake — so you can learn from it — and suggesting solutions/alternatives. Please don’t feel down ’n out about it.

That’s apart of the raiding experience! Improving yourself for the better

NSPride <3

Jitson.6051

Finally someone links something actually useful instead of blaming “you can’t read. you don’t know what insights is? You must have done no research. You have an attitude, go back to your ez mode dungeons” etc. I guess I’ll wait until thursday or something and look for training groups.

For those who already suggested joining learning runs and I promptly ignored, I was under the impression that learning runs were the dungeon equivalent of level 55s doing AC, CM or TA, which is no fun.

The thread linked actually gives a clear argument that learning groups are often run by experienced players and often have experienced players, who have already done their 1week run for the ‘max rewards’ (iduno even know how the rewards cap each week, but I guess I’ll find out). So I shouldn’t worry about getting nowhere in such groups. I still think keeping insights is a silly requirement, but I guess is understandable for groups who want to get their clear out of the way quickly.

(edited by Jitson.6051)

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Finally someone links something actually useful instead of blaming “you can’t read. you don’t know what insights is? You must have done no research. You have an attitude, go back to your ez mode dungeons” etc. I guess I’ll wait until thursday or something and look for training groups.

For those who already suggested joining learning runs and I promptly ignored, I was under the impression that learning runs were the dungeon equivalent of level 55s doing AC, CM or TA, which is no fun.

The thread linked actually gives a clear argument that learning groups are often run by experienced players and often have experienced players, who have already done their 1week run for the ‘max rewards’ (iduno even know how the rewards cap each week, but I guess I’ll find out). So I shouldn’t worry about getting nowhere in such groups. I still think keeping insights is a silly requirement, but I guess is understandable for groups who want to get their clear out of the way quickly.

Insights are a quick and dirty way to gauge how much experience a player has in raids. It’s not a guarantee of good players, but it’s a decent first step. Think of it like job applicants being sorted by GPA. Having a 4.0 doesn’t guarantee that they’ll be a great employee, but sorting by GPA is a decent and easy way to do a competence check.

I’m not entirely sure what you meant by ‘the equivalent of level 55s running ac, CM, or ta’. Do you mean that you thought learning runs are in an easier version of the raid? If so, that’s not the case, there’s only one difficulty that raids come in.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Looking at the OP, I think the squad leader was in the right. They were looking for experienced players in raids, and you aren’t. He restarted very politely what he was looking for and then kicked you. Sounds good to me! If I were him I’d have no issue waiting for another Druid in light of that.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Roman God of War.6953

Roman God of War.6953

Getting your first Ascended Armor from raids is a pretty bad idea, because you need one to keep up with your team. Buying Ascended stuff with Magnetide Shards works well only if you really want to have an alt profession to raid with.

By the way to get full Ascended Set for druid or any other profession you would need 2300 shards which is 16 weeks of raiding (assuming you get 150 shards every week) and about 100 gold. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scholar_Glenna

I am sure you could get your ascended set faster by farming hard wood logs and selling it. I earn about 150g weekly by doing this so it would take me about 6 weeks to have enough gold for an ascended set. Or maybe less than that.

I had quite an easy time with one asc dagger and full asc trinkets on my tempest. rest was exotic. got my first asc set thru raiding. i would highly recommend NOT getting asc armor for the sake of raiding alone. the boost to stats is soooo small compared to trinkets.

ive even used an exotic geared condi rev on VG with 1 pull/kill attempts. working on getting full vipers thru raiding for her. she is currently rampagers.

however, you have a really good point about having more efficient ways to get asc gear. raiding should be all about the experience of the content, then the loot IMO.