A Thought From a Non-Raider

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

Hello there everyone. I don’t raid, and I don’t have a tremendous desire to, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. That said, when raids first came out I was looking forward to them. I wanted to take a crack at this new kind of content with my friends and guildies- not with the expectation that we’d succeed, but just to experience it as I did with dungeons back when I was a wee new warrior years ago. To see how far we could get without adhering to a strict meta, letting people bring the same characters we’d used to overcome all other sorts of nonsense and learning as we went.

But alas my guild soon fell apart somewhat, my friends list dried up, and many of those I’d have called on just to have a go for the heck of it disappeared from the game before we could ever really get together to do it. It didn’t help that much of the leadership was a little more tryhard about raids than I was… and in an RP guild tryharding is a mite hard to get support behind. So I put raids on the backburner and largely out of my mind- sure, I could run the meta build and study up to get into a raid group, but without my friends around me it hardly seemed worth it.

Now before everyone listening has to shave and go check on their grandkids, I should probably get to the point. I was thinking, and I had an idea: what about a guild of people with my mindset? A guild full of people who just want to take a crack at the raids, who’re willing to group with people not running the meta builds or without any real experience. Mind you, I’m not suggesting we’d BEAT anything in raids, but success or fail I find there’s a certain wonder in taking on content blind without watching a full youtube guide or copy-pasting builds for it. Thoughts?

Posted by: blazinfury.8504

blazinfury.8504

I’m all for that. Forget the tryhard meta that says this is the most effective way. I don’t care about the most effective way, I just want to have fun with it.

Posted by: Nana.9512

Nana.9512

Well, just try it out. I imagine, there are many people, who don’t want to play meta and instead experiment with their own build ideas. The difficult part might be finding people, to whom “trying” a boss is enough. From my own experience I know, that training and trying is fun for some time, but if there’s no progress, people tend to get frustrated. But well, trying is still better than doing nothing.
Just advertise your “no-meta-fun-raid” guild and look what happens

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

I’m all for that. Forget the tryhard meta that says this is the most effective way. I don’t care about the most effective way, I just want to have fun with it.

Do you also like failing over and over and over again?

Posted by: valheru.7891

valheru.7891

If people are up for it. I think it’s a great idea. If you like o do it. Then other people will maybe too. The only problem is finding those players i think.

But I think their will be 1 problem. At first everything will go good. but later on people will want to kill those boses. Not just die everytime in their and then their going to want more and more frome the other players to. I think it will cause some drama.

But yeah. it can be that their won’t be any problem at all. Just a headsup at what could and imo will happen after a while

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Do you also like failing over and over and over again?

My initial experience was the same as OPs (when raids first came out) with one difference: my guild put in at least 2-3 weeks of attempts at VG. Among the issues we were having: people refusing to adapt, people refusing to change their build, change tactics, blaming others for mistakes instead of seeking to fix mistakes, people taking criticism too personally.

The constant wiping got to most people. The constant negativity brought the group down. We’ve tried multiple times to get a guild raid team going, but all of the above issues haven’t been resolved yet. It’s gotten to the point where it caused too much drama (it really shouldn’t have) that the guild leader made the decision never to raid as a guild.

I moved onto guilds with like-minded individuals.

Going in blind is completely fine, but prepare for all of the kittenstorm that comes with it. Many people don’t like failing for too long.

Posted by: LegACy.1296

LegACy.1296

Yep, what these guys are saying, so, so much.

Before anything else, you have to decide: Are you actually hoping for a kill, or are you just trying to experience it. Just make sure the other members have the same opinion with you on that.

Though in my opinion, the fun in raids comes with actively trying to kill the boss, with trying to figure out what you could do to improve your kill chance. Without it, there’s not really much in raid.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Going in blind and figuring out things myself and not copypasting other people’s builds and strategies is how I like to do things. I like exploration, challenge, and a relaxed attitude. But there also needs to be improvement. If the other people aren’t willing to try to get better and take suggestions with an open mind (and a grain of salt), then that isn’t something I would want to be a part of.

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

Yeah, I’d thought about the “people getting tired of bashing their heads against the wall” bit, and I couldn’t really think of anything other than to hope for the best and let people go with a good luck and well wishes when they feel like moving on. Still, I may just have to give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback, all.

Posted by: BordeL.1283

BordeL.1283

try to find a guild that want to help, or make one! in my guild, we’re sometimes teaching one or two new guys and trying hard to make it work.

The thing is, people fail to understand that, in raids, they’re like tools; if the tool if inneffective, you need to be able to change it as needed, or replace it. If you’re willing to adapt and change gear as needed (not like an exotic set and a few ascended trinkets costs millions nowadays), even if it’s gradually, you can get there.

A good bet is to make a LFG called “learning run” or likewise. you might not get the best team, but you can make raider friends, or even get merged with a party of experienced folks that are missing numbers. don’t be afraid of the few toxic players out there.

Of course I am french, why do you think i have this outrageous accent? Now go away, or I shall taunt
you a second time!