A plea to the top players of this community

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Greetings,

This weekend comes with the first time ever we are able to try out the new Raid content. My plea to our beloved top players and elite guilds to refrain from posting your World First completion video on the public venues like the forum and reddit during this weekend. I’m personally very excited about the encounter and would love to figure my way out the encounters without getting spoilers unavoidably (I’m an avid forum and reddit reader and a very curious cat). Let us try our best wholeheartedly and relive the moment of first timers to a challenge without any direct guidance. That said, you guys are free to post your amazing feat when the beta weekend is over. It would brew up some really nice discussion and feedback.

If this plea reaches you – top players, I thank you very much for your understanding.

P.S. Please be kind and tag [Spoilers] on your bug and glitch reports. I totally understand that those issues need to be addressed asap but they may still be some minor spoilers for the rest of us. Anyhow, have a blast!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Evapor.6849

Evapor.6849

Even if people do post their kill videos why would it affect you in anyway? As far as I know world’s firsts are always recorded in every mmo, as someone that hasn’t preordered the expansion I want to see what this encounter will be like and it may affect my decision to buy the game. If a certain group of players complete the encounter in the first 10 minutes of release I’ll want that information asap so I can ditch the game and never look back. If you can’t control what you read that’s your own problem.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Don’t click on a video if you don’t want to see spoilers?

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

I believe that either
1) Raid bosses will not be killed during BWE3 or
2) Raids will be heavily tuned between BWE3 and release.

If second happens that means that obviously raids aren’t hard enough if people can figure them out and beat them in less than a weekend and thus they’ll be tuned heavily before release. If first happens you don’t have to worry about spoilers.

Posted by: stambogalizi.8356

stambogalizi.8356

Greetings,

This weekend comes with the first time ever we are able to try out the new Raid content. My plea to our beloved top players and elite guilds to refrain from posting your World First completion video on the public venues like the forum and reddit during this weekend. I’m personally very excited about the encounter and would love to figure my way out the encounters without getting spoilers unavoidably (I’m an avid forum and reddit reader and a very curious cat). Let us try our best wholeheartedly and relive the moment of first timers to a challenge without any direct guidance. That said, you guys are free to post your amazing feat when the beta weekend is over. It would brew up some really nice discussion and feedback.

If this plea reaches you – top players, I thank you very much for your understanding.

P.S. Please be kind and tag [Spoilers] on your bug and glitch reports. I totally understand that those issues need to be addressed asap but they may still be some minor spoilers for the rest of us. Anyhow, have a blast!

>Read title of forum/reddit post
>see it’s about raid completion
>dont click on it
Wow i just saved your life

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

The best to kill video policy I’ve seen in other games is what some guilds do in World of Warcraft. Their policy is that they wait for the second or third kill before they post a video. The thing is though some of those bosses take up two weeks the defeat instead of hours.

The reason to not post videos right away is to give guilds from other time zones a clean slate to try. If a guild kill something after a video was posted, it’s hard to prove that you didn’t watch it to make it easier for yourself. I think having just something like a 24-36 hour “embargo” would be enough. Of course, in an age where everybody streams everything, this might not happen.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Streaming is a good point. There are going to be a lot of people who haven’t preordered (or are otherwise unable to play this weekend) that will want to watch streams to see what the raids are like. They shouldn’t be forbidden from seeing what’s up just because some people don’t want to resist the temptation to watch kill videos.

I think self-control is the way to go here.

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

Do people actually care about world/server/region first kill(s) and completions in a game like GW2?

With that being said, I also think it’d be more fun for everyone if people refrained from spoiling the contents of the raids (And the expansion in general) but you should know that you literally are asking for the impossible. There are plenty of big guidemakers et cetera that all want to be the first to publish instructions, guides and walkthroughs for the various kinds of content so that they can maximise the traffic to their website and/or Youtube channel.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

there should be no worries for you OP, this raid is gonna be the first of a series culminating in a final boss kill that wont be released till after HoT comes out anyways… all it might do is spoil the first wing of the series is all.

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

I can’t keep myself from clicking videos about raids, so nobody should be able to enjoy videos about raids, even if they want to.
I’m sorry but this is just extremely selfish and self-centered

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

…don’t click on the threads/videos?
Not like they autostart, go fullscreen and then you can’t close them until you actually watched them from the beginning to the end.
I doubt you guys are going to get the full raid during the beta either.
I’m personally pretty stoked for those videos for various reasons.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Iris does have a point. If people post a video then others will just copy the strats instead of working it out themselves. That said i dont think many will upload that fast even if they complete it on friday evening.

This is more of a courtesy request to keep it unlisted until after the beta. I dont see whats wrong with that? Or am i completely insane?

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

Iris does have a point. If people post a video then others will just copy the strats instead of working it out themselves. That said i dont think many will upload that fast even if they complete it on friday evening.

This is more of a courtesy request to keep it unlisted until after the beta. I dont see whats wrong with that? Or am i completely insane?

I think the idea is, if you want to copy someone elses strats you can do that, or if you don’t then you can just not look at the videos. It’s a win win.

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

spoj.9672

Pretty sure if more groups work it out for themselves it will provide better feedback. And well people are always tempted to look even if they dont intend to. Also you cant really stop everyone in your group from not taking a peek. And that will influence your entire group whether intended or not.

As others have said for world first people usually hold off on posting for a similar reason. Not sure why people are getting so antsy about the suggestion. If you want to post regardless you can. This is a request. Not an order.

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

So lets say I have to work on weekends so I don’t have time to play raids myself, or I simply don’t have enough friends to test them out.
If I was in that situation I would love to at least watch a video about it, which saves me tons of time, but I still get an idea of what the content will look like.

OP is basically asking to take away the pleasure for all those people, that are forced in that situation, because she isn’t able to ignore a video herself, which is optional, nobody is forcing her to click that video.
That’s pretty selfish imo

My friend works 10 hour/day shifts in an animal clinic, and when he comes home he has a wife and kids he has to spend time with.
But that doesn’t mean he isn’t equally excited for raids as we are, and nobody should make people like him wait till monday for their own selfish desires

(edited by bladex.9502)

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

I agree with Iris, but I’m sure people will upload kill videos anyway since it’s just beta. Hopefully serious guilds won’t do so at live.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Iris Ng.9845

I’m well aware of obvious spoilers and of course can stop myself from reaching out to those. However, there are substantial precedents of cleverly disguised text that leads to some videos just to prove a point in a discussion. For example: Lupi is too hard, I should try better [link] to a one-shot video. Of course on the internet I can’t read all the tones and sarcasms, or maybe even the subtle excitement to show off to steer myself from all the hidden link.

The reason I’m asking for not posting the completion videos – I’m not against streaming in anyways – is because it gives out the thought process over the organization, team comp and maybe even strategies to overcome a certain challenge to a certain extent of success. On the other hand, as dlonie suggested, streaming is a nice, alternative way to showcase the raid encounter live. There are much trials and errors involved during the process. People are watching live stream for the information and spoilers anyways – and people like me can stay away from it safely.

Also, once the solution is spoiled in the big venues like forum or reddit, talk will circulated to even in game and it’s just so hard to close my eyes against all the ready information.

@Top players: in the end, it’s up to the you to keep your videos unlisted or public. You have my thanks if you decide to listen to my request. For the better service to the community, how’s about announcing your streaming plan here and direct people who are interested in watching raids to your channels instead? I’m sure it can keep both sides happy.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

spoj.9672

So lets say I have to work on weekends so I don’t have time to play raids myself, or I simply don’t have enough friends to test them out.
If I was in that situation I would love to at least watch a video about it, which saves me tons of time, but I still get an idea of what the content will look like.

OP is basically asking to take away the pleasure for all those people, that are forced in that situation, because she isn’t able to ignore a video herself, which is optional, nobody is forcing her to click that video.

My friend works 10 hour/day shifts in an animal clinic, and when he comes home he has a wife and kids he has to spend time with.
But that doesn’t mean he isn’t equally excited for raids as we are, and nobody should make people like him wait till monday for their own selfish desires

Shes not asking to not post videos. Only to delay showing them till after the beta is over. If your friend has no time on weekends to play then surely he doesnt have much time to watch them either?

Besides most probably cant upload any footage that fast. So even if people ignore this request the majority of footage will show up at the end or after the beta anyway.

Iris Ng.9845

I can’t keep myself from clicking videos about raids, so nobody should be able to enjoy videos about raids, even if they want to.

Obviously I’m an extremely selfish and a self-centered person who has to forbid everybody else to play the game or even enjoy watching it in anyways because I ask others not to post completion videos in the forum and on reddit during the beta weekends. Let me tell you one more truth about me: I murdered every single friends of mine who went to watch a movie before I was able to in order to prevent them from spoiling anyways.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

The entitelment is strong within this one.

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Every remembers this is a beta TEST for 1 of 3 bosses in the first wing, right? Does being the first to kill a possibly unfinished boss at least a month before it is officially released really matter that much? We’re all going into this weekend to test things, not start a kitten beating contest.

You can’t win a race if half the track is missing.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Man, some people are really viciously responding to a pretty reasonable request. This might be with the first time people actually raid anything. It would be pretty disheartening to log on and realize that there are the videos and guides out right away. There is a lot of fun in discovery, something that we can enjoy because there isn’t a “Public Test Realm” to spoil everything. Of course that is strange to say since it is sort of like that…

spoj.9672

Yeah i dont really understand the negative responses. If you dont agree and want to disregard this thread. Then fine. Post your videos straight away. Noone is stopping you. No need to get so hostile about it.

Or is it because you want the guilds to ignore this and post asap so you dont have to work out how to do raids for yourself?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t understand the negative respond. Some people have impulsive behavior, even though they can clearly not look at the video themselves. They might lack self control.

And even if they have self control, they can’t control their teammate to look at it. And since everyone thinks they are more important than anyone else(aka their teammate). It is best to not post the videos as in it could be the disrupted force which cost the raid group to fall apart.

Imagine in the middle of the raid. Half of your party want to watch strategy videos, while half of the raid want to try it themselves. This could yet be another bingo topic on the forum which have cause a fragment in the community like skipping mobs and the bzerker meta.

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

I encourage vids and streams of raids. I haven’t purchased the xpac, so I’d like to see the strats used over the weekend.

Just label your content/stream with spoiler tags. TIA

I don’t see too many people being hostile here. Disagreeing with you doesn’t mean that person is mad/negative. Forums are meant for discussion.

Posted by: Tierce.5370

Tierce.5370

Let me tell you one more truth about me: I murdered every single friends of mine who went to watch a movie before I was able to in order to prevent them from spoiling anyways.

o_o

xD

On topic: OP is just asking. It doesn’t make anyone selfish, self-centered, or entitled to make what reads to me as a polite request.

(edited by Tierce.5370)

spoj.9672

I think a lot of people seem to also be misunderstanding what Iris is requesting. Shes not saying dont upload videos. Shes literally saying just keep them unlisted for an extra day or two.

These videos will be important for feedback reasons. But that doesnt mean they need to be posted immediately when people are still discovering how to complete the content.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

On topic: OP is just asking. It doesn’t make anyone selfish, self-centered, or entitled to make what reads to me as a polite request.

What if… I want spoilers.

I keep asking for game of throne spoilers and everyone in like “no no. Dont’ tell me.” As someone who isn’t very literate, I can’t understand the book, but would like to know the story before watching the tv show.

oh ya, my friend tell me Jon Snow end up coming back as a white walker next season and become the leader of the white walker

Iris Ng.9845

What if… I want spoilers.

I keep asking for game of throne spoilers and everyone in like “no no. Dont’ tell me.” As someone who isn’t very literate, I can’t understand the book, but would like to know the story before watching the tv show.

oh ya, my friend tell me Jon Snow end up coming back as a white walker next season and become the leader of the white walker

Why do you do this to me?
o___o!!!

I will find you and I will… kitten you.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I got CQ this weekend, just found out. Lucky me. So I will be spending 24 hours setting at a desk and then Sunday Recovering. So I won’t have much if anytime to enjoy the Raid content. I still don’t see a problem with her request. I will have plenty of time to peak at the content later.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Hi, i’m in the process of making meteorlogicus, can everyone who is planing to make it in the next 2 weeks not make it because i’m a curious cat i will look at it once you pass by and i want to look at the effects once i craft it not before that. Thanks.

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Iris is asking for a pretty reasonable request. The beta is only around for the next couple of days, and all that she’s asking is that the more seasoned players refrain from posting their polished videos. I understand that some players/guilds will be livestreaming, but the process of live encounter (the wipes and gripes) are much different than a finished product that been rehearsed and practised.

Yes, we can all refrain from clicking on a link, but once in a very long time, we have content that the community has zero information about which is very refreshing. We actually have to figure things out rather than referring to a cheat sheet.

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

Hmm my main goal this weekend is watching people stream the raids and/or videos of successful raids… I don’t have a group for it so I want to see as much of them as possible.

Don’t want to get spoiled? Don’t watch it. Most people just avoid things they don’t want to get spoiled on…. not difficult. When I miss a sports event that I had to tape for example, I just don’t go on places that discuss sports that could spoil the result for me.

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Let me tell you one more truth about me: I murdered every single friends of mine who went to watch a movie before I was able to in order to prevent them from spoiling anyways.

I suddenly like you. Lets watch movies together.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Omg do you think this is why raids are down?

Iris Ng.9845

Shhhh…. shhh…..

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

XD

Iris may not click, but the 9 other of his/her Raiding Squad may!

Its a request not unlike one made by the developers of games that want the raiding guilds from multiple servers/time zones/regions/countries to be able to compete.