AC: Queen Spider Solo

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

This is indeed considered a terrain exploit and will be fixed in the next patch.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

You pwnt that spider queen, great use of terrain advantage by the way.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

To be honest this happened the first time I tried to solo the dungeon and so I figured it was easily done but when trying to replicate it I have failed every time. So its not reliable as far as I can tell.

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

LOL Poor spider.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

This is indeed considered a terrain exploit and will be fixed in the next patch.

At some point you might consider giving bosses in areas of elaborate geometry powerful ranged attacks they only use when they can’t find something to melee…

If the Queen there had a ranged pull (spider? get it?), she’d be more interesting and less vulnerable to abuse.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

As much as I want exploits fixed, please don’t prevent us from getting on those pillars! Just make the spider queen reset if the only person attacking her is on them! They are a wonderful safe place to fight the little spiders that shoot projectiles, and make me feel like my extremely capable jumping skills are actually useful for something.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

As much as I want exploits fixed, please don’t prevent us from getting on those pillars! Just make the spider queen reset if the only person attacking her is on them! They are a wonderful safe place to fight the little spiders that shoot projectiles, and make me feel like my extremely capable jumping skills are actually useful for something.

Pretty much this. Those pillars embody the first thing you should know about dungeons : look at the environment instead of following the “normal” path (without exploiting of course.

I think it would be easier to make her invulnerable to your attacks if it cannot hit you (and do that for every other boss, like virtually every monster in PvE) rather than giving it a range attack or a pull attack.
The problem with the pull is that if every boss that can be exploited have this, they will use it even when not exploiting, making it useless to have a range of 1200.
The problem with the ranged attack is that if it’s a projectile, reflect projectiles will trivialize the whole thing.

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

The safety net for this incident broke, and it will be fixed this next patch. If a boss can’t attack you back due to terrain issues, he/she/it will go invulnerable and reset like before.

Posted by: Stigma.7869

Stigma.7869

To clarify, standing on high cliffs and shooting down is a tactic and not an exploit. Now if you’re standing on a rock in Snowbind Fractals shooting the boss at point blank w/o him attacking you -that is an exploit… Simply because it applies in real life. If you see a giant spider in your back yard and u want to kill it… you bet you want to climb up to your roof and shoot at it.

At some point you might consider giving bosses in areas of elaborate geometry powerful ranged attacks they only use when they can’t find something to melee…

If the Queen there had a ranged pull (spider? get it?), she’d be more interesting and less vulnerable to abuse.

This was the first thing that came to mind was a spiderman web grab attack. But that really isn’t the root cause of the “exploit.” It has more to do with the monster not recognizing that there is a player there. This is the core problem of every single boss exploit in the game. For some reason there are certain spots in the stage where the boss just glitches out like you disappear from his field of vision (aggro range).

If you also want to be fair about it, bosses abuse this exploit too like being able to hit you from further away than normally possible. The most extreme case is AC Kholer who can grab you with his Mortal Kombat attack from across the map to the monster in Arah who’s 1 hit KO hammer can reach you if the terrain is uneven.

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

To clarify, standing on high cliffs and shooting down is a tactic and not an exploit. Now if you’re standing on a rock in Snowbind Fractals shooting the boss at point blank w/o him attacking you -that is an exploit… Simply because it applies in real life. If you see a giant spider in your back yard and u want to kill it… you bet you want to climb up to your roof and shoot at it.

Huh, telling the dungeon designer what can be considered an exploit…

Monsters go invulnerable when they cannot attack you because you are standing on higher or lower ground. The Spider Queen (and the p1 Boss) doesn’t. It’s a bug. A bug that is being exploited during this encounter.
Don’t bring real life into it. When a black widow bites you, you don’t turn green and the poison isn’t naturally eliminated from your body after 30 seconds.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

You’ve just made my day.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Thanks for the video! My team keeps wiping on Spider all the time (we are max level, best gear, on teamspeak). It’s great how this game supports so creative tactics! It really allows individual player-skill to shine.

Stigma.7869

You guys don’t see my point. I am not saying the tactic of standing at higher ground is an exploit. I’m saying the exploit is the fact that there are locations in the game where the monster’s aggro code doesn’t recognize you (This is the terrain exploit).

Tell me you haven’t walked up to the highest building just to snipe someone in a FPS game. The whole point of GW2’s combat mechanics is the fact that it’s more grounded towards reality as you can dodge and position yourself.

There is a Reef Drake brood mother in Southsun Cove that does behave perfectly as it should. If you shoot it from high cliff you can’t damage it because you’re too far. If you stand on top of a rock where it can’t reach you and shoot at it, the Drake actually climbs up the rock to hit you. I’m talking about real life to ingame physics from a programmer’s stand point, not about spider bites. Apples and oranges.

Thanks for the video! My team keeps wiping on Spider all the time (we are max level, best gear, on teamspeak). It’s great how this game supports so creative tactics! It really allows individual player-skill to shine.

Haha….Weth made my day.

From a personal standpoint I see nothing wrong with sniping monsters from unreachable places if those unreachable places are properly defined. It might be cheap and boring as compared to soloing dungeons with skill and experience like Wethospu does, but it’s an accepted strategy in Japanese and Korean MMOs. Although they usually don’t have exploits like against the Legendary Shaman and Mossman.

(edited by Stigma.7869)

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

The safety net for this incident broke, and it will be fixed this next patch. If a boss can’t attack you back due to terrain issues, he/she/it will go invulnerable and reset like before.

Mmmm I’m removing the video it seems to have been taken a little too seriously by some (Not the dev im quoting). To clarify it is an exploit and thats why the video was labled as such. It only works if the planets align and its a tuesday though. In reality, it’s just a bug that occurs if you become obstructed and the enemy’s path finding ability won’t lead it to you while aggroed. The enemy will just stand there and won’t fight back. What happened in the video was a rare occurance. The boss was not specifically unable to attack due to terrain, it simply would not even try to attack. It is able to attack and kill players who stand on the pillar as I have found when trying to replicate it. It was part terrain and part the boss just gave up.

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

Stigma.7869

I hope the Developers fix the real problem this time instead of modifying terrain.

Referring to Legendary Shaman boss fight. You are standing on a rock that is certain within hitting range and aggro range of the monster, yet he doesn’t know you’re there. Anet fixed the initial exploit in Snowbind Fractal a month ago by simply placing a wall there to not allow players to stand there. That is just a bandaid and didn’t provide any solution to the root cause. They should’ve identified the problem being the code instead of modifying the terrain. Because it simply allowed players to find other locations to do the same trick.

Posted by: Alexander.4827

Alexander.4827

I understand why this happens but not the method. Was this determined to be the best solution? When enemies go invulnerable and then regen in seconds not only does it break any possible immersion it opens up possibilities for frustrating bugs. Why not give enemies a unique pull skill then they can’t path to players? In this case it’s a spider so why not an unblockable web that shoots out and pulls you to her.

I feel like players should be rewarded for trying to use the terrain to their advantage without fear of instant resets.

Stigma.7869

I understand why this happens but not the method. Was this determined to be the best solution? When enemies go invulnerable and then regen in seconds not only does it break any possible immersion it opens up possibilities for frustrating bugs. Why not give enemies a unique pull skill then they can’t path to players? In this case it’s a spider so why not an unblockable web that shoots out and pulls you to her.

I feel like players should be rewarded for trying to use the terrain to their advantage without fear of instant resets.

I’m personally for using terrain to a player’s advantage as it is seen in all FPS games (if it is grounded to the GW2 physics) . In defense of Anet’s method. It is the most efficient solution if not the most creative. I’m sure the have tons of other stuff to work on for GW2, making monsters go invuln and regen if they can’t hit you is the quick way of solving the problem.

If you’re shooting a player in Counter Strike, he will look around and find the sniper. Unfortunately, the behavior codes for MMO monsters are not complex at all and would require a lot more time in development to behave the way you want it to.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

That is excellent news, Rob.

I will say for the future, however, that I think it would make for a much more interesting encounter if the Spider Queen had a ranged attack that she only used in situations where she cannot reach you to melee. This would allow players to use these terrain advantages assuming they could handle the ranged weaponry the boss could then hurl. This would give players multiple ways to handle the boss, and allow them to achieve goals in unique and different ways. That sort of mechanic (and indeed the mechanic of using terrain as an advantage) is something that you should nurture in encounters when you go back through them to make them more exciting. Thanks for the updates either way, as always.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

I don’t think standing there is a problem, the small spiders that spawn around the room have no problem attacking you there. I have been attacked there many times when the Queen Spider is kited to that area.

The problem is if you are the only person attacking the Queen from there and she is not attacking and you are not drawing aggro from her.

If you have 4 other players with you meleeing the Queen around the room and they are keeping her away from you, that should be considered good tactics.

Just make the Queen go invulnerable if there is no one else drawing aggro.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Not sure what terrain glitch this was about, but even without using any bugs or glitches, the Spider Queen is easily doable solo by any Guardian, Ele or Warrior.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: HappyHubris.1096

HappyHubris.1096

The last boss of AC part 1 can also be terrain exploited with ranged attacks for riskless kills. There are some stairs and a ledge around his pit that allow you to pewpew from afar. Please fix.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Last time my team tried to use that I just went melee Howling King, naked. Suddenly it wasn’t so scary anymore.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Gentlemen, place your bets on how many bosses this “fix” is going to break.

haviz.1340

Gentlemen, place your bets on how many bosses this “fix” is going to break.

Or maybe it will finally make a lot of them unglitchable. The only boss that was broken after a fix was Bjorn if I recall correctly.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Or maybe it will finally make a lot of them unglitchable.

I kittening hope so cause glitching is lame, but given the previous track record I have every reason to suspect otherwise.

The only boss that was broken after a fix was Bjorn if I recall correctly.

Bjarl still has this wonderful feature where he can switch targets mid-charge for no kittening reason. Aldus spawns elites for no reason, Sorge has jihad barracudas now, Colossus’ howl is STILL featured to have 300 degrees (Rob said this feature should get removed soon™ enough), etc etc.

haviz.1340

Bjarl still has this wonderful feature where he can switch targets mid-charge for no kittening reason. Aldus spawns elites for no reason, Sorge has jihad barracudas now, Colossus’ howl is STILL featured to have 300 degrees (Rob said this feature should get removed soon™ enough), etc etc.

Fair enough, I haven’t done HotW since September.

About Bjarl, he doesn’t have unshakeable buff so it’s quite optimal to cc him when he’s about refresh his scales.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

If a boss can’t attack you back due to terrain issues, he/she/it will go invulnerable and reset like before.

Is there a chance that, when a boss pushes you to a place where it can no longer hit you, that it doesn’t reset?

Because seriously, this game mechanic would be top of my list if I could ever have something removed from the game. Nothing like almost beating a boss only to have it bug out and resetting…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Ald.9418

Ald.9418

Ok so I made a follow up video since I removed the original.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDRwo32Pjo8
It’s intended as a joke and even though the original was not intended to break the dungeon I just enjoy finding bugs.

The lack of Healing Spring is disturbing.