Absolutely dislike the new fractal.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I gotta applaud anyone who can figure out the mechanics in the clusterkitten that is fractal 100. The first fellow’s alright, but the second boss just has way too much going on at once.

Even on normal mode, she’s actually a fair bit harder than many raid encounters.

Viirastra has 2 core mechanics:
1. Stand in the bubble when you have the skull
2. Bounce the marble on your head (only 1 person needed, backup helpful)

If you do these two mechanics correctly, the rest of the fight is pretty easy. Failing these two mechanics quickly snowballs the fight to failure.

There are also two minor mechanics:
1. Don’t stand in the AoEs (You can jump over many of them)
2. Kill the big clones, then drag the little ones to the boss.

Doing these two mechanics reduces the damage pressure to almost nothing.

Theres a bit more to the fight, but this is the core that will allow you to succeed in non CM.

If you are failing the marble, try lower tiers. The marble pattern is significantly easier. Also note that when the marble bounces on your head, it refreshes your SAS. Your SAS is OP and you should use it to move around.

Edit: If your group is learning, try having everyone do the marble at once. There is no time pressure on non CM, and doing the marble gives you lots of aegis and invulnerability so you can stay alive.

Out of curiosity, was is the thought behind the marble mechanic? To me, it didn’t feel an organic part of the fractal itself, more a random mechanic added, because more mechanics were felt to be needed.

I think that is what set this apart for me – the mechanics didn’t gel with what was going on around. Much of the other fractals work a) because they are short bursts and b) because the mechanics are organic to the environment. This felt too random or out of place if that makes sense.

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Out of curiosity, was is the thought behind the marble mechanic? To me, it didn’t feel an organic part of the fractal itself, more a random mechanic added, because more mechanics were felt to be needed.

I think that is what set this apart for me – the mechanics didn’t gel with what was going on around. Much of the other fractals work a) because they are short bursts and b) because the mechanics are organic to the environment. This felt too random or out of place if that makes sense.

I believe we have not seen the end of this fractal story. We may have seen the end of the Arkk/Dessa story but not of the celestials. The 2nd boss in normal mode just wants to have fun, why she’s there is not explained but she just wants to play. So the ball is like playing catch and at the end of the fight she gets tired and falls asleep. In CM she has a different name, is “inflicted with insight”, has the same destroyed planet painting as the harbinger, and wants to kill you. I have a feeling we have not seen the last of the celestials and think the story will end with us fighting the Harbinger himself in a CM.

So the 2nd fight might seem out of place, but I have a feeling it will be tied into everything in a few fractals time. Arkk was screwing around and almost destroyed them so he may have kittened them off.

Posted by: Benjamin Arnold

Previous

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

Next

I gotta applaud anyone who can figure out the mechanics in the clusterkitten that is fractal 100. The first fellow’s alright, but the second boss just has way too much going on at once.

Even on normal mode, she’s actually a fair bit harder than many raid encounters.

If you do these two mechanics correctly, the rest of the fight is pretty easy. Failing these two mechanics quickly snowballs the fight to failure.

Theres a bit more to the fight, but this is the core that will allow you to succeed in non CM.

If you are failing the marble, try lower tiers. The marble pattern is significantly easier. Also note that when the marble bounces on your head, it refreshes your SAS. Your SAS is OP and you should use it to move around.

Edit: If your group is learning, try having everyone do the marble at once. There is no time pressure on non CM, and doing the marble gives you lots of aegis and invulnerability so you can stay alive.

Viirastra is innocent and playful, and literally thinks she is playing a game with the players, so marbles made thematic sense. Plus, the marble mechanic combines perfectly with the SAS skill, which brings the joy of movement in this fight to an entirely new level.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Viirastra is innocent and playful, and literally thinks she is playing a game with the players, so marbles made thematic sense. Plus, the marble mechanic combines perfectly with the SAS skill, which brings the joy of movement in this fight to an entirely new level.

Idk if id describe Viirastra like that in the cm version. Yes the marble feels like im playing a game with her. She throws me the ball and its my job to keep it bouncing and sent it back to her. But shes innocent and she doesnt know that ball is a ball of suffering and death. /shrug

Previous

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

Next

Idk if id describe Viirastra like that in the cm version. Yes the marble feels like im playing a game with her. She throws me the ball and its my job to keep it bouncing and sent it back to her. But shes innocent and she doesnt know that ball is a ball of suffering and death. /shrug

I was describing Viirastra, not Artsariiv.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It’s like tron. You have the game and the gatekeeper. One is innocent, the other is out for blood bits.

Randulf.7614

I can just about see that from what you are saying. I can’t say I agree it has translated well into the encounter, especially combined with all the other mechanics across the fractal that don’t quite mesh well together, but I appreciate you giving us a bit of context behind the design.

zealex.9410

Hm in the cm viirastra has no dialogue so ill take your word on it thought u meant the boss since shes the one throwing the ball iirc.

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

Hm in the cm viirastra has no dialogue so ill take your word on it thought u meant the boss since shes the one throwing the ball iirc.

In the cm, there is no Viirastra. Artsariiv replaces Viirastra as the 2nd boss.

zealex.9410

In the cm, there is no Viirastra. Artsariiv replaces Viirastra as the 2nd boss.

Oh really thought for a second i mixed the name of the boss with the name of the big add with the chain lightning attack.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I can just about see that from what you are saying. I can’t say I agree it has translated well into the encounter, especially combined with all the other mechanics across the fractal that don’t quite mesh well together, but I appreciate you giving us a bit of context behind the design.

IDK man, I thought that this came through quite readily in the encounter. I mean, she’s openly talking about playing a game, and complaining about how the previous dude didn’t want to play. I rather like that flavor.

I also really like this fractal a lot. The mechanics of the second fight are by far my favorite, and its because of the marble.

zealex.9410

IDK man, I thought that this came through quite readily in the encounter. I mean, she’s openly talking about playing a game, and complaining about how the previous dude didn’t want to play. I rather like that flavor.

I also really like this fractal a lot. The mechanics of the second fight are by far my favorite, and its because of the marble.

^

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

Can we make my account god so I can do leaves no hero behind tittle with 350-800ping pls.. or enjoy 100cm at least. …. I haven’t gone near it since I done it 3 or 4 times only. Dat skill lag mechanic lag rubber banding.. makes the game weird
Actually just give me the tittle and ap :p thank you come again … :P :p

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

(edited by Talindra.4958)

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Well I’ve done 100, but the incentive to do the torture that is 100cm till completion isn’t there. It simply isn’t fun. It’s hilarious that 100cm is actually harder and more frustrating than ANY of the raid bosses. What happened to the stepping stone? Apart from anything else, the entire fractal takes forever. If this is the way fractals will be going in the future, I’ll avoid them.

Mitch.4781

They are both trying to kill you so your point is moot.

zealex.9410

They are both trying to kill you so your point is moot.

Well the non cm one doesnt view it that way. U could say shes playing to win.

zealex.9410

Well I’ve done 100, but the incentive to do the torture that is 100cm till completion isn’t there. It simply isn’t fun. It’s hilarious that 100cm is actually harder and more frustrating than ANY of the raid bosses. What happened to the stepping stone? Apart from anything else, the entire fractal takes forever. If this is the way fractals will be going in the future, I’ll avoid them.

Not everyone enjoys the 10 man format what about us should we have to deal woth the boring t4s? Regardless the currency the fractal drops is worth 50s per currency and the drop rate for mystic coins seems nice. Also theres rare chance for the blue infusion.

Previous

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

We aren’t happy with how the length of Shattered Observatory ended up either. It ended up being out of whack with the standard fractal experience for most players. We are taking a lot of things into consideration for the next fractal.

zealex.9410

We aren’t happy with how the length of Shattered Observatory ended up either. It ended up being out of whack with the standard fractal experience for most players. We are taking a lot of things into consideration for the next fractal.

Including cm durr? because cm isn’t leinghtier than 99cm (at least not by alot). While normal 100 is abit too much of hp sponges. As for the cm you guys follow a rule that fractal cms cant be as hard or harder than raids? Because if thats the case then thats extremely dissapointing.

Randulf.7614

That is very positive news. Of the 3 recent ones, I’d say Nightmare got the length spot on, but as you say S.O. was very much out of sync with most of the fractals (except Dredge which I largely avoid if I can).

I also hope we go back to the idea of visiting snapshots of known and unknown history/lore again. Things like Cliffside have that fantastic feel of wonder and mystery when you see the colossus and we get to speculate on the Uncategorised location, whilst fractals like Urban and Jade Maw tie into original GW lore. I’m hoping the next one will return to something like those.

Mitch.4781

Including cm durr? because cm isn’t leinghtier than 99cm (at least not by alot). While normal 100 is abit too much of hp sponges. As for the cm you guys follow a rule that fractal cms cant be as hard or harder than raids? Because if thats the case then thats extremely dissapointing.

100cm is longer and tougher than nightmare by a considerable margin. Also what exactly would be the point in making fractals harder than raids? Given the fact that Raids are the flagship, endgame content and top tier fractals are supposed to be a stepping stone towards raids, it is illogical to make them harder. From a logistical and loot reward point of view, it makes no sense whatsoever. Fractals are currently in a good place. All that we really needed was more of them. We don’t need every single new fractal to be a frustrating 5 hour farm just so the top 1% can get a title.

(edited by Mitch.4781)

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Then it should give better loot than raids thanks.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Both 99cm and 100cm are around the same time. I think my best PUG for 99cm was ~18 minutes with an average of ~24 minutes while PUGs for 100cm was ~16 minutes at best to ~27 minutes on average. If 99cm is considered fine but 100cm is to long, I guess 3 minutes is an eternity. My static takes ~20 and ~23 on average respectively with dailies taking 30 minutes for all 3. Does everything have to be 10 minutes entirely?

For fractals with 3 bosses, an average of 5 minutes per boss and some run/event time inbetween is fine. Now if future fractals are only going to be made with 1-2 bosses max (molten boss have effigy and the actual boss, swamp being Bloom, and Mai Trin being Mai and a pack of mobs) then that is fine, just don’t make each fight super short that a good group finishes them way to quick for anything to happen.

OriOri.8724

If you think its a bit too long can you not just decrease the health of each boss slightly? As it is, its mostly just fighting the 3 bosses, with a few random parts thrown in.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

As far as non-cm, t4 goes, I don’t think it is too far off. If you did the following I think it would be pretty comparable to nightmare, and as long as it only comes up in daily rotation with some shorter fractals it would be consistent.

-modify boss 1 so that after the islands phase, his break bar is always up and ready to be broken. It seems the breakbar doesn’t recharge during the islands phase.
-remove trash mobs between bosses 1 and 2.
-speed up unlocking the door for boss 3 after killing boss 2. The NPC is too slow. Same for opening the door to boss 2.
-arc: I think you should standardize orbs phase to happen based off hp %,. at the same percentage every time.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

-arc: I think you should standardize orbs phase to happen based off hp %,. at the same percentage every time.

You mean the orb pushing phase? That’s exactly at 80, 50 and 30% of his hp.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I mostly like this fractal. the low gravity is an awesome thing to play with and the bouncing ball is an interesting mechanic.

The only bit I have strong negative opinions on is the bit at the last boss where you have to lead the balls into the pillars, reason being it seems very fiddly compared to the rest of the fractal.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

100cm is longer and tougher than nightmare by a considerable margin.

No it isn’t.

You’re comparing your experience with a fractal that has been around for almost an year with one that has been around for about a month. Give people time to master it. They already started doing it, by the way. I remember my own first try at Shattered CM, which seemed impossibly hard. Last night the group I was in cleared it in a comparable time to the 99 cm we played just after it. Give it a few more months so more people can learn the mechanics and the gameplay experience in an average group will become much smoother and quicker, just like it did with Nightmare CM.

zealex.9410

100cm is longer and tougher than nightmare by a considerable margin. Also what exactly would be the point in making fractals harder than raids? Given the fact that Raids are the flagship, endgame content and top tier fractals are supposed to be a stepping stone towards raids, it is illogical to make them harder. From a logistical and loot reward point of view, it makes no sense whatsoever. Fractals are currently in a good place. All that we really needed was more of them. We don’t need every single new fractal to be a frustrating 5 hour farm just so the top 1% can get a title.

There are diff demographics alot like that fractals put responsibility to all 5 ppl which raids dont do for all 10. It also gives options for ppl to do w/e they want in terms of hard content. And for the love of god the cms are outside of the t4 environment so they dont affect someone whos not up to that lvl.

The way i see it what they consider a steping stone are the base t4 fractals. Nightamre shattered and swampland these are considsrebly easier than raids and teach you stuff that can be usefull. Cms exist as an alternative to raids in tems of difficulty.

And it not the fractal’s team’s fault that this frcatal cm happened to be harder its the raid team’s bacause since wing 1 wings keep getting easier.

The average clear time of 100cm might as well be 3 or 4 more mins than 99 maybe even less than 99cm depending on how good your team is at bullet hells.

zealex.9410

Then it should give better loot than raids thanks.

Its daily and it takes about 15 to 14 mins. It does give better loot that a weekly wing run.

zealex.9410

If you think its a bit too long can you not just decrease the health of each boss slightly? As it is, its mostly just fighting the 3 bosses, with a few random parts thrown in.

Yeah its not like theres alot of meat outside the bosses in this encounter. And ppl can already skip the islands to shorten it.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

No it isn’t.

You’re comparing your experience with a fractal that has been around for almost an year with one that has been around for about a month. Give people time to master it. They already started doing it, by the way. I remember my own first try at Shattered CM, which seemed impossibly hard. Last night the group I was in cleared it in a comparable time to the 99 cm we played just after it. Give it a few more months so more people can learn the mechanics and the gameplay experience in an average group will become much smoother and quicker, just like it did with Nightmare CM.

Going to have to strongly disagree here. CM100 has a lot more going for it than just a lack of familiarity. The amount of ambient damage that Artsariiv puts out is incredible, the amount of unavoidable damage Arkk has is substantial, and the variety of instant death mechanics you have to juggle means a single misstep quickly snowballs into full blown failure. In the Nightmare fractal, there is nothing harder than dodging the massively telegraphed single attacks one at a time.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

zealex.9410

No it isn’t.

Going to have to strongly disagree here. CM100 has a lot more going for it than just a lack of familiarity. The amount of ambient damage that Artsariiv puts out is incredible, the amount of unavoidable damage Arkk has is substantial, and the variety of instant death mechanics you have to juggle means a single misstep quickly snowballs into full blown failure. In the Nightmare fractal, there is nothing harder than dodging the massively telegraphed single attacks one at a time.

The only amount of inavoidable amount of dmg arkk has on cm are the green circles and on 40% the aoe the gladietor does. Everything else and i do mean EVERYTHING can be avoided.

Ok this fractl requires your focus for more than one attack every 7 or so sec. What about it? Is that bad? Im not saying nightmare was bad but if cms were on that lvl only it would just be boring. That said i dont think constandly upping it is good either 100cm as it is now is a fine ground for cm to be for a while until the over all community thats interested in cms gets to that point.

The second boss because almost a joke if you jump over the ground aoes and it basically devolves into “kill the big adds do the marble”.

zealex.9410

As far as non-cm, t4 goes, I don’t think it is too far off. If you did the following I think it would be pretty comparable to nightmare, and as long as it only comes up in daily rotation with some shorter fractals it would be consistent.

-modify boss 1 so that after the islands phase, his break bar is always up and ready to be broken. It seems the breakbar doesn’t recharge during the islands phase.
-remove trash mobs between bosses 1 and 2.
-speed up unlocking the door for boss 3 after killing boss 2. The NPC is too slow. Same for opening the door to boss 2.

Yeah i can see the npc being abit slow same with 99 base but idk how you will keep the lore importance if you speed them up or make the skippable entirely.

Feanor.2358

No it isn’t.

Sure, at Artsariiv there are a lot of AOEs around, but if you cleave the adds and stack on the boss they don’t really amount to anything. The druid will easily outheal these.

Snowballing at Arkk is also a failure to do mechanics, not something that always happens. Eat the balls properly, focus the anomaly, use Hypernova Launch when needed and there really is nothing to snowball. I can agree that if you don’t control the encounter it gets chaotic much quicker. But if you do – and you can – it’s pretty much the same. Massively telegraphed attacks that you can easily dodge. True, sometimes they overlap. But you get the completely overpowered Hypernova Launch in exchange, so I’d say it’s not really any different in terms of overall difficulty. You’re free to disagree with me, but let’s wait a couple more months and see, shall we?

zealex.9410

No it isn’t.

Sure, at Artsariiv there are a lot of AOEs around, but if you cleave the adds and stack on the boss they don’t really amount to anything. The druid will easily outheal these.

Snowballing at Arkk is also a failure to do mechanics, not something that always happens. Eat the balls properly, focus the anomaly, use Hypernova Launch when needed and there really is nothing to snowball. I can agree that if you don’t control the encounter it gets chaotic much quicker. But if you do – and you can – it’s pretty much the same. Massively telegraphed attacks that you can easily dodge. True, sometimes they overlap. But you get the completely overpowered Hypernova Launch in exchange, so I’d say it’s not really any different in terms of overall difficulty. You’re free to disagree with me, but let’s wait a couple more months and see, shall we?

A guild did a witten guide on 100cm and a dev not sure if it was Ben or somebody else told them that there were changes coming. So id take that as “rip w8ing some months, its getting nerfed soon”

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The only amount of inavoidable amount of dmg arkk has on cm are the green circles and on 40% the aoe the gladietor does. Everything else and i do mean EVERYTHING can be avoided.

Ok this fractl requires your focus for more than one attack every 7 or so sec. What about it? Is that bad?

At low percentages, Arkk will frequently double up attacks. If he doubles up the pizza slice attacks, the entire field can become covered in damage. Likewise, the platforms dropping out will cluster players together, hitting everyone with social awkwardness.

Artsariiv’s attacks can be avoided. However, it is incredibly hard to do this and maintain DPS. Yeah, I can take no damage if I run around the entire field in a panicked frenzy, and I can take little damage if I stick to ranged attacks maneuvering in the nearby area. But due to the adds’ attacks, Artsariiv’s unnatural fixation with me in particular, the wide array of ground AoEs popping everywhere, avoiding everything while maintaining damage in melee range is nigh impossible.

However I digress: you seem to misunderstand me. I like cm100 where it is. I just disagree that it isn’t harder than nightmare.

You don’t need a healer for cm99.

However I digress, because the “experience” argument is vacuous and requires no due diligence in order to make, I’ll counter it with my own story. I haven’t been doing nightmare challenge mode for months. I only recently got back into the game. I have far less experience with those mechanics than anyone else here. Likewise, since I form groups accepting newbies, a group of new players always learns nightmare much faster than fractal assault. Each boss usually only requires 2 attempts, maybe 3. But I can loiter at Arkk for 6 hours at a time trying to get newbies through it.

Each attack is simple. There are simply far more in cm100, and more = more difficult.

Feanor.2358

You should nevertheless get one. It makes the run smoother and faster, not just because of the heals but also the considerable group-wide damage boosts.

However I digress, because the “experience” argument is vacuous and requires no due diligence in order to make, I’ll counter it with my own story. I haven’t been doing nightmare challenge mode for months. I only recently got back into the game. I have far less experience with those mechanics than anyone else here. Likewise, since I form groups accepting newbies, a group of new players always learns nightmare much faster than fractal assault. Each boss usually only requires 2 attempts, maybe 3. But I can loiter at Arkk for 6 hours at a time trying to get newbies through it.

Each attack is simple. There are simply far more in cm100, and more = more difficult.

That you personally didn’t have the experience isn’t that relevant. The thing is, the player base at large does. It is always easier to clear content with one inexperienced player than with 5 ones. Please don’t take this as a personal attack, I’m merely explaining why you can’t disregard the common knowledge and experience accumulated over the months and why your perception of difficulty is skewed.

And again – yes, there are more attacks to deal with in 100 cm but there’s also a new powerful (and quite universal) tool at your disposal. Pretty much everything Arkk throws at you can be countered by Hypernova Launch.

OriOri.8724

Yeah its not like theres alot of meat outside the bosses in this encounter. And ppl can already skip the islands to shorten it.

Eh, there was another post below mine that had better suggestions than just cutting HP. More along the lines of shortening the “extra” parts of each boss fight. Those do take more time than I originally gave consideration for.

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

You should nevertheless get one. It makes the run smoother and faster, not just because of the heals but also the considerable group-wide damage boosts.

That you personally didn’t have the experience isn’t that relevant. The thing is, the player base at large does. It is always easier to clear content with one inexperienced player than with 5 ones. Please don’t take this as a personal attack, I’m merely explaining why you can’t disregard the common knowledge and experience accumulated over the months and why your perception of difficulty is skewed.

And again – yes, there are more attacks to deal with in 100 cm but there’s also a new powerful (and quite universal) tool at your disposal. Pretty much everything Arkk throws at you can be countered by Hypernova Launch.

The fact that you need a healer and need an additional skill dodge just to deal with the increase of mechanics proves it is more difficult than fractals where you don’t need these things.

Feanor.2358

But you DO get them. Hence in the end it’s the same. It doesn’t matter if it’s harder if you don’t use what’s available. Which is true, but irrelevant.

Posted by: Rennie.6750

Rennie.6750

Joy of movement? Are we talking about the same content? Do you guys ever look at your metrics? Because from what I can tell using the LFG tool every day what people like is first daily rewards then when it comes to replay value, the most straightforward “click this, kill that” ones with simple bosses win hands down.

zealex.9410

Joy of movement? Are we talking about the same content? Do you guys ever look at your metrics? Because from what I can tell using the LFG tool every day what people like is first daily rewards then when it comes to replay value, the most straightforward “click this, kill that” ones with simple bosses win hands down.

Ehh i like something that can keep me engaged if i wonna have extra play time outside of dailies. Which i dont because replayability value outside of frac 40 is bad.