Advice for those Trying to form raid groups

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

I remember how challenging it was when raids first came out. Trying to form a successful group wasn’t easy. The advice now for new raiders seems to be the stock answer: “form your own group”.

We could just say “suck it up and get on with it like we did” but that’s a bit antisocial, and off-putting for people who want to get into raiding late.

So I think a thread with advice on how to get into raids and/or forming your own groups would be beneficial.

Few tips of mine:

Legendary insight pings: they cant be faked, they can be bought. They don’t really mean much at all. ( I personally have an item code for 255, purely for when I’m looking for more, and I get told how their insights make them pro)

Gear checking: don’t just look for optimal dps in pugs: look for gear that shows they’ve put thought into their build. The dps checks aren’t actually very tight. But keep a thick skin, people like to hurl abuse, and/or claim success with their gear.

Make sure you meet your own requirements.

Remember the dps checks aren’t that tight, so you do have room to run safer class compositions. A smooth run is a much better experience than a failed fast run. Especially when pugging.

Never assume everyone knows all the mechanics and telegraphs. This is a fast track to frustration and failure.

Don’t be afraid to admit your mistakes. Some may kick you, but knowing you messed up is a big step towards not repeating your mistakes. Players who will make for good raid allies will recognise this and be content with progress.

Practice your own rotations in the training area (more difficult for support classes like druid). The last thing you want is to be figuring out how to use your class while trying to also figure out mechanics.

Accept that not every class is useful for every fight. The more classes you can play the easier it is to find/form groups.

Hopefully there is plenty more advice that can be consolidated here.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Whatever you do, do not be an kitten like 80-90% of the “leaders” if you can call them that. Pathetikittentle men.

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I remember how challenging it was when raids first came out. Trying to form a successful group wasn’t easy. The advice now for new raiders seems to be the stock answer: “form your own group”.

We could just say “suck it up and get on with it like we did” but that’s a bit antisocial, and off-putting for people who want to get into raiding late.

The reason you don’t want to say “suck it up like we did” isn’t simply because it’s antisocial and not helping one bit. It’s first and foremost because it’s a really dumb thing to say considering the “like we did part” can’t really be compared not knowing other players context, assets and limitations. Many would be glad to “suck it up” the way many did rather than the way they still do.

That being said, I salute the initiative you take here. Very good idea.

So I think a thread with advice on how to get into raids and/or forming your own groups would be beneficial.

Few tips of mine:

Legendary insight pings: they cant be faked, they can be bought. They don’t really mean much at all. ( I personally have an item code for 255, purely for when I’m looking for more, and I get told how their insights make them pro)

I had no idea you could do that.

Gear checking: don’t just look for optimal dps in pugs: look for gear that shows they’ve put thought into their build. The dps checks aren’t actually very tight. But keep a thick skin, people like to hurl abuse, and/or claim success with their gear.

Make sure you meet your own requirements.

Remember the dps checks aren’t that tight, so you do have room to run safer class compositions. A smooth run is a much better experience than a failed fast run. Especially when pugging.

Never assume everyone knows all the mechanics and telegraphs. This is a fast track to frustration and failure.

Don’t be afraid to admit your mistakes. Some may kick you, but knowing you messed up is a big step towards not repeating your mistakes. Players who will make for good raid allies will recognise this and be content with progress.

So far I haven’t been kicked from a squad for admitting my mistakes but I did see a few poor souls get that treatment. I don’t expect them to try being honest anytime soon though… Some ppl simply do not deserve the truth.

Practice your own rotations in the training area (more difficult for support classes like druid). The last thing you want is to be figuring out how to use your class while trying to also figure out mechanics.

Accept that not every class is useful for every fight. The more classes you can play the easier it is to find/form groups.

Hopefully there is plenty more advice that can be consolidated here.

Again, thanks for the initiative.

Posted by: Barath.4305

Barath.4305

most important thing from my point of view: remember that its a multiplayer game. i see way too many egoistic players on the forums that are like “they want me to play this? pfff, i play like i want, i dont care about my group”. they hear “meta” and stop listening because they feel like they get forced into something, but they forget, that if you’re in a group you adapt to each other to enhance the other players AND your own fun. you play with other players, real persons that also want to have fun.

the “meta” is a good way of which everyone knows its working good. sure you could create your own “tactics” (because thats what the meta is – a tactic (including builds+strategies) that developed over the time through the experiences of good players that did the content 13958710 times). but creating your own tactics takes time and good communication. many guilds do that, but if you go into a pug group they dont want to spend hours on creating new tactics, they want to beat the content, so they take the (to that time out of best knowledge approved-) meta.

offer the other players something to enhance their fun, learn from players that are experienced, show others that you are a good friendly not egoistic teamplayer that is willed to adapt to the team and their tactics, then they will give the fun back to you

if you are a enthusiastic, good player with good reflexes and your rl-job does not request your creativity enough, you will end up in a good guild with like-minded players that do content faster/more consistently and maybe raid daily because they actually like the content, ignoring that they get no rewards after they finished all bosses on the first evening. if you are a chilled dude that smokes some green stuff while raiding 1 time per week and does not want to 100% focus, you will end up in a chilled guild that obviously takes some more time because you put way less effort into it than the first example.

everyone will find what he likes, if he notices that its a social multiplayer game where everyone wants to have fun, not only you so far, have a nice day!

Oh My Gosh Virtual Squirrels [Vs]

(edited by Barath.4305)

Artemis Thuras.8795

So far the common theme is those being scorned by groups and booted.

Don’t forget this exists:
http://gw2.ninja/chatcodes

So even gear checks can be faked. ( this is also how I got my code for 255 insights)

I would suggest not taking things personally if you do get kicked. Even after gear checks.
Unless you were failing mechanics, in which case take it very personally. You need to learn the mechanics, no one can do that for you.

I’ve personally not needed to use any detailed mechanics guides, and I have no idea if any detailed ones exist. If there are, links to those would be very helpful I’m certain.

Be friendly, and enjoy the content is certainly good advice for anyone.
However I was hoping we would see more practical advice for how to find pugs or fill a spare spot in a group.

Maybe how certain classes can be used to help make a fight easier. Things that might be overlooked when a pug has always been told they must min/max for dps.

One example I can think of is using an ele focus, activating obsidian flesh before the slothosaur shake/coconut. Running into his hitbox, and absorbing (due to invuln) some of the coconuts so they can’t hit anyone else. The same thing will work with any invuln skill really.

I’m hoping over the weekend we can get a few more informative replies!

Posted by: Tornupto.2304

Tornupto.2304

So even gear checks can be faked.

You may be able to generate Chatcodes of the requirered gear, but in many cases there can be evidence that it is a code. Some upgrades do provide buffs, that you can’t hide. If someone knows the class you are playing well he may even be able to reconstruct your whole build. Another factor is the skin of the armor. If it does not match your current skin…

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

So even gear checks can be faked. ( this is also how I got my code for 255 insights)

I would suggest not taking things personally if you do get kicked. Even after gear checks.
Unless you were failing mechanics, in which case take it very personally. You need to learn the mechanics, no one can do that for you.

I’ve personally not needed to use any detailed mechanics guides, and I have no idea if any detailed ones exist. If there are, links to those would be very helpful I’m certain.

However I was hoping we would see more practical advice for how to find pugs or fill a spare spot in a group.

Maybe how certain classes can be used to help make a fight easier. Things that might be overlooked when a pug has always been told they must min/max for dps.

One example I can think of is using an ele focus, activating obsidian flesh before the slothosaur shake/coconut. Running into his hitbox, and absorbing (due to invuln) some of the coconuts so they can’t hit anyone else. The same thing will work with any invuln skill really.

I feel like your topic is two-faced —-- you want people to fake their way in. Only causing more divisiveness.

The solution has always been form your on group.

Here’s a story: I created an lfg post this week, “LFM Xera, ping proof of kill.” I started the group alone. When there was around four people in the party, one member asked, “Why do your start groups with so few people?” I responded, “Somebody needs to start the group.” Two minutes later the group was full.

I won’t pretend that my groups always fill that fast. But they always fill. And you post gets a lot of attention if it’s the only one there (besides the sellers), which is probably when you’re having trouble getting into a group in the first place.

Don’t lie. People will dislike you for it. Instead, start your own group. I’ve had plenty of kills with the description “LFM VG, exp”

Artemis Thuras.8795

I feel like your topic is two-faced —-- you want people to fake their way in. Only causing more divisiveness.

Here’s a story: I created an lfg post this week, “LFM Xera, ping proof of kill.” I started the group alone. When there was around four people in the party, one member asked, “Why do your start groups with so few people?” I responded, “Somebody needs to start the group.” Two minutes later the group was full.

I won’t pretend that my groups always fill that fast. But they always fill. And you post gets a lot of attention if it’s the only one there (besides the sellers), which is probably when you’re having trouble getting into a group in the first place.

Don’t lie. People will dislike you for it. Instead, start your own group. I’ve had plenty of kills with the description “LFM VG, exp”

I created a thread designed to help those who wish to form their own groups.

Yet you come here and tarnish that with slanderous personal attacks?

Do not paint me with the same brush you paint yourself.
Your story serves nothing but to brag about your prowess, and only to tells people that which has already been said.

It is a pity you have to be a cause of such negativity.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

Your story serves nothing but to brag about your prowess, and only to tells people that which has already been said.

How did he make a “slanderous personal attack”? He was being critical of you encouraging people to fake insight counts to get into groups. That’s not a personal attack because he was bring critical of your post rather than you personally, and it certainly isn’t slanderous because it’s obviously true (even if it’s unintentional, come on man you’re posting a link to a chat code generating site and talking about how it’s easy to fake gear checks).

You asked for advice on how to fill pug groups and he posted about his experience in making groups – namely that he has been able to easily fill groups even with only minor requirements. It is completely relevant to your topic. He wasn’t being negative at all besides discouraging people from taking your advice and lying to get into groups.

Your thread actually was entirely positive until your post.

Artemis Thuras.8795

How did he make a “slanderous personal attack”? He was being critical of you encouraging people to fake insight counts to get into groups. That’s not a personal attack because he was bring critical of your post rather than you personally, and it certainly isn’t slanderous because it’s obviously true (even if it’s unintentional, come on man you’re posting a link to a chat code generating site and talking about how it’s easy to fake gear checks).

You asked for advice on how to fill pug groups and he posted about his experience in making groups – namely that he has been able to easily fill groups even with only minor requirements. It is completely relevant to your topic. He wasn’t being negative at all besides discouraging people from taking your advice and lying to get into groups.

See, you’ve fallen for the slander.

I point out how people can cheat gear checks, so that those trying to form groups can be aware that it may happen. For example so they do not blame someone who brings utility to make a run easier for a DPS shortfall.

Yet I get accused of wanting people to lie their way into raids. That is dictionary definition of slander. see:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/slander?s=t

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I point out how people can cheat gear checks, so that those trying to form groups can be aware that it may happen. For example so they do not blame someone who brings utility to make a run easier for a DPS shortfall.

Yet I get accused of wanting people to lie their way into raids. That is dictionary definition of slander. see:

What your saying doesnt even logically follow….

If you want to prevent someone in a PuG setting from being blamed, then the best logical advice you can give them is to be honest. Not give them the tools to lie.

It’s also not slander as it wasn’t an attack at the person or character, nor did it defame you in any way shape or form.

It’s also in print so it’s libel just saying…

Artemis Thuras.8795

If you want to prevent someone in a PuG setting from being blamed, then the best logical advice you can give them is to be honest. Not give them the tools to lie.

It’s also not slander as it wasn’t an attack at the person or character, nor did it defame you in any way shape or form.

I think you’ve misunderstood the point.

This helps those trying to form a group, by making them aware of how someone might try to lie their way into a group. It only works because it isn’t common knowledge. That’s how secrets hold their power.

As for the slander, if you think accusing me of advocating lying your way into a group isn’t slander, then good luck to you.

Again, it is a shame that the good that could have come from this thread has been tarnished by such a post.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I think you’ve misunderstood the point.

This helps those trying to form a group, by making them aware of how someone might try to lie their way into a group. It only works because it isn’t common knowledge. That’s how secrets hold their power.

As for the slander, if you think accusing me of advocating lying your way into a group isn’t slander, then good luck to you.

Again, it is a shame that the good that could have come from this thread has been tarnished by such a post.

If you give people the tools to lie, you are advocating their use even if you did not intend for that to be the case. There is a reason the forums have a rule against explaining exploits, once explained they become commonly used, even if your intent was to have a detailed analysis for devs to reproduces it. The same can be said of giving people the links/tools to forge a false identity for themselves in the raiding community when all they needed to do was be honest in the first place.

But i agree its a shame this thread is being derailed by the OP with petty name calling and missing the point.

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

Another way to check that cannot be faked is to have them equip the mini. For the most part, people unlock the first one then sell the duplicates. It will also work once the insights are used for the armour.

As for actual setup advice, keep it simple and do it quickly. Standing around talking is going to bore and upset people so they leave. Same with resuming after a wipe. Do not waste people’s food and time; reassemble and go asap.
Also, the more people you have that can do more than one role, the faster you can form a good group comp since you can always rearrange around the folks that can only play one (or only geared one). This also allows for checking and adjusting to folks that are not quite as comfortable with their role as they think they are but might be better on a lesser geared main. Remember, better to not have people going down and have more dps from someone in all exotics than a person in full ascended that dies and misses mechanics a lot.

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Posted by: PadreNike.1803

PadreNike.1803

I can’t claim credit on this as I learned this from our elitists EU counterparts nor do I ever require this… but the absolute non fakeable way to check for killproof at least until Matt is to have the person double click their" spirit quest tonic and check that they have the actual buff on thier buff bar.

Bhagawan
My YouTube
My Army

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

I can’t claim credit on this as I learned this from our elitists EU counterparts nor do I ever require this… but the absolute non fakeable way to check for killproof at least until Matt is to have the person double click their" spirit quest tonic and check that they have the actual buff on thier buff bar.

Even more reliable is to pop the boss mini