Advice on getting into raids

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: MADPIEMAN.8023

MADPIEMAN.8023

As the title says I am interesting in getting into raids but am unsure where to start or find people to complete the raid with as I am unsure about time investment. I was also wondering what class or role would be best to play, I currently have a ranger, guard, engi and low level ele.

Thanks in advance

edit: all but ele have asc trinkets and weopons, however I am unsure what armour set to make for raiding. Thanks for the replies so far

(edited by MADPIEMAN.8023)

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

level your ranger into druid and git gud at healing people

Posted by: Dante.8965

Dante.8965

Firstly find out which character you like to play the most since it will require some investment in getting into raiding.

Once you find out which character you like to play the most, I suggest you unlock the specialization for that class fully. For example: Ranger = Druid which is great for healing and dps buff in raiding. Each class can play different roles depending on the team composition. Find out which role you would enjoy playing most.

There are really good guide in places like Duffy and Meta battles on the mechanics of the bosses and what to do during different phase. I suggest you also read that.

Lastly but one of great importance most groups dont seem to like people who are not properly geared up. I suggest at least having all ascended trinkets and maybe an ascended weapon.

Ascended trinkets can be obtained very easily if you know how to get about getting it. For ascended Rings the most easiest and cheapest method is to do Fractals and complete the daily fractals which rewards you with pristine fractal token which can be used to exchange for ascended rings. As for other trinkets the most cheapest method is to take part in guild missions and save your guild commendations which can be used to exchange for the other ascended trinkets (do not waste this on getting ascended rings). I recommend using the guild commendations to buy the earring trinkets and then you can use laurels to purchase the necklace from the WvWvW laurel trader (he is the cheapest),

As for getting really cheap ascended weapons I suggest you complete the specialization collections for the weapon that you need. For example Druid specialization collection will give you a ascended staff when completed same with the Daredevil one.

Hope this helps you and other people.

(edited by Dante.8965)

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

You should be able to find some guides for pve builds for raids with a bit of searching. Getting ascended trinkets and a main ascended weapon with the proper stats are the biggest deals, proper sigils and runes are a big deal as well. Eventually you’ll want to have multiple chars moderately geared because of the flexibility it offers in raid comps, increasing your value as a player.

There are a lot of pug groups running at all times, but their reliability is questionable. I would advise finding a guild that runs raids and joining a group within them. The fights have been out long enough that it’s reasonable to expect you to know the basic strats, even if you’ve never done it before. Definitely read some guides before you attempt a boss, and watch a few videos to get a better feel for it.

Bosses themselves are not difficult to get you, but you should not be surprised to find yourself be bashing your head against a wall for several hours before getting a kill. It should get easier to repeat kills after if you’re playing with similar people.

Once again, I reiterate finding people to consistently play with for a lot of reasons, but getting familiar with a group and learning to trust others is definitely a big deal. So that’s where I would start, is with joining up with a guild that’s oriented towards raiding, since they can help you get prepared as well as allow you to identify group needs, perhaps you can gear and learn a class they have a hard time getting.

PS Warrs, Druids and Chronos pretty much always have a spot, all of the classes are good in their own right, but these 3 will always have at least 1 slot in a raid, if not more.

[EG] is recruiting!

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

Firstly find out which character you like to play the most since it will require some investment in getting into raiding.

No. Don’t ever in hell do this or you’ll most likely end up with a daredevil with 4 legendaries that can’t get into raids cuz it’s not stupidly overpowered like an ele.
Instead, you should find out WHICH of the flavor-of-the-month specs you enjoy playing(if any, this made me quit) => just make a level 1 toon, do the 5 minute intro, take it to HoTM(pvp area), gear/spec according to the metabattle build, and practice the rotation on a dummy.

Each class can play different roles

Except thief who is the only class that doesn’t have a spot in raids, and warrior who has exactly 1(one) role.

Gear to get(minimum):
full ascended trinkets: Rings from fractals, backpiece from fractals(google beta fractal capacitor, fairly easy to get), amulet from WvW(25 laurels), earrings from guild commendations(2 weeks should get you both ascended earrings)
ascended weapon(s): have superior sigil(s) on it too(e.g. air,force,or whatever your build uses).
armor: the difference between an exotic(level 80) set and an ascended one is pretty low. You should still have, as a (long?) term goal, to get a full ascended set. However, if you can’t right now, please be sure to be in full level 80 relevant(zerk/cele/whatever you need) gear, with 6x superior relevant(scholar/strength or whatever you need) runes.

Don’t make the mistake to think that you can raid(talking about finding a pug) without playing one of the few demanded classes. I quit GW2 for the exact reason that I wanted to raid, but I had to make 3 extra classes(ps war, dps herald, dps tempest) in order to be allowed to raid, because my main, a daredevil, had no place in raids(even tho I honestly performed better than 99% of the people I’ve encountered). I did not enjoy playing those classes, so I found something else to play, until my main gets some love.

Finding a raiding guild would be a good thing to do, because you’ll probably raid more often. However, having scheduled raids isn’t for everybody. My idea of a “fun time” was logging in and raiding whenever I felt like it, not HAVING to raid at the time my guild master demanded my presence. You figure it out, maybe you’re tired, maybe you just don’t feel like raiding; this can make the game feel like a chore, and that is exactly the opposite purpose of the game.

reikken.4961

Except thief who is the only class that doesn’t have a spot in raids, and warrior who has exactly 1(one) role.

Thief is great for wing 1, and can do two roles on the first boss. Less good for wing 2 due to increased demand for utility over sheer dps, but you should have no trouble finding a spot in a wing 1 raid

(edited by reikken.4961)

Posted by: randomguy.1283

randomguy.1283

Thief is great for wing 1, and can do two roles on the first boss. Less good for wing 2 due to increased demand for utility over sheer dps, but you should have no trouble finding a spot in a wing 1 raid

Well its great for matthias for the cc, which is the main utility you need for that boss.

Posted by: MADPIEMAN.8023

MADPIEMAN.8023

Ele seems to be most meta atm( but would be most time investment), I find druid fun and viper engi but I am not sure how guardian is for raids (how good is the hammer dps build?).

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Guard would be a good choice as it can be use in every fight

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

I am not sure how guardian is for raids (how good is the hammer dps build?).

It’s meta.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Ele seems to be most meta atm( but would be most time investment), I find druid fun and viper engi but I am not sure how guardian is for raids (how good is the hammer dps build?).

Ele, Druid and Guardian are you best bet. Engie is good, but not ideal. Guardian is excellent at Sabetha and Slothazor in particular, but it’s a great profession for all fights.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Raizen.7981

True. Thief is great. But tempest is the best. That’s why every single raid says “LF 2-4 tempests”. I know what I’m talking about, I’ve pugged the raids since they were implemented. Please don’t tell people to play thief if they want to raid. It’s not fair for them.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Only play thief in Raids if you are in a dedicated raid guild/group, since it is mainly dps with little to no utility outside of Venomashare Thief, I would say level your Ele and Druid to be able to have multiple roles as needed, if you feel like it try leveling a Chrono as well, they can provide two different roles in the same Gearset minus Trinkets.

Having the proper ascended weapons and trinkets are essential, you can get away with Exotic weapons. Proper runes/sigils are imperative as well as food buffs.

The biggest thing is to read/watch guides on the encounters as well as your role/class.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

What class is “best” to play really depends on what the group you’re in needs. The best option for raiding is honestly to just have multiple classes available. Even when I’m doing training runs for raids, it’s a huge pain in the kitten when someone has only one class, because often that class is really good in some fights and really bad in others (engi, ele, and necro are the worst for this) and they wind up learning little because they go down a lot or don’t have a real role in the encounter. I could rant for hours about ele-only players “learning” to raid against vale guardian.

If you have ascended trinkets+weapons for everything then you’re good to go honestly. Anyone who insists you have ascended armor or you’re bad doesn’t know what they’re talking about. This is especially true for druid where you want to have several different armor sets and having them in ascended is economically stupid and practically worthless.

As far as making armor goes, I would say make heavy zerk armor first simply because it can be shared between multiple classes. Lots of players I know got started raiding with just 1 ascended armor set playing guardian/rev/warrior all day.

Another option is to make the engineer ascended armor first, because viper’s insignias are expensive and you really don’t want spend the gold on an exotic set if you’re planning to make ascended later anyway.

I wouldn’t sweat about the ascended armor too much honestly, once you start doing raids + fotm consistently you will be able to build up ascended armor sets from random drops and magnetite, filling in the gaps with some crafting. Just focus on gearing up (weapons + trinkets) multiple classes and learning to play them well.

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

True. Thief is great. But tempest is the best. That’s why every single raid says “LF 2-4 tempests”. I know what I’m talking about, I’ve pugged the raids since they were implemented. Please don’t tell people to play thief if they want to raid. It’s not fair for them.

I’m not disagreeing with you (though I do think thief is fine because of high dps, mobility, and cc, it’s not the best option for first getting into raids), but the justification of “PUGs do it” is flawed, at best.

[EG] is recruiting!

Posted by: LegACy.1296

LegACy.1296

…. it’s a huge pain in the kitten when someone has only one class, because often that class is really good in some fights and really bad in others (engi, ele, and necro are the worst for this) and they wind up learning little because they go down a lot or don’t have a real role in the encounter. I could rant for hours about ele-only players “learning” to raid against vale guardian.

While I agree that only having 1 class for raid is problematic, I really don’t see how ele could be bad in ANY of the raid boss. I think it’s one of the professions that’s actually quite desired in all 6 of the boss fights =x

reikken.4961

Yeah, what? I (almost) play ele only in raids and have never had any problems. Ele is great in every fight. (though it also helps that I have 4 different sets of gear for it)

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

What class is “best” to play really depends on what the group you’re in needs. The best option for raiding is honestly to just have multiple classes available. Even when I’m doing training runs for raids, it’s a huge pain in the kitten when someone has only one class, because often that class is really good in some fights and really bad in others (engi, ele, and necro are the worst for this) and they wind up learning little because they go down a lot or don’t have a real role in the encounter. I could rant for hours about ele-only players “learning” to raid against vale guardian.

From my experience when squishies die a lot in a party, it’s either 1. lack of personal skill 2. other party members not doing what they should do, ie heals from druid in raids on Vale. Sure the squishy could roll a heavy class to reduce the impact of others’ bad gameplay, but it’s just a soft cushion vs solution to where the problem comes from. So if you do training raids, don’t just look at what class dies most, look at why they die.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

reikken.4961

If you’ve already got the utility that the heavies provide (ie you aleady have your banners and facet of nature), you’re better off adding some health to your build than swapping classes. Tempest with marauder’s armor still does more dps than any other class.

randomguy.1283

If you’ve already got the utility that the heavies provide (ie you aleady have your banners and facet of nature), you’re better off adding some health to your build than swapping classes. Tempest with marauder’s armor still does more dps than any other class.

Tempest with marauder’s armor still does less dps than a thief or another tempest with berserkers armor.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Doubt that a Tempest in maurauder will do more dps than a Guardian, a Thief or another Tempest in zerker gear.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

…. it’s a huge pain in the kitten when someone has only one class, because often that class is really good in some fights and really bad in others (engi, ele, and necro are the worst for this) and they wind up learning little because they go down a lot or don’t have a real role in the encounter. I could rant for hours about ele-only players “learning” to raid against vale guardian.

While I agree that only having 1 class for raid is problematic, I really don’t see how ele could be bad in ANY of the raid boss. I think it’s one of the professions that’s actually quite desired in all 6 of the boss fights =x

Ele isn’t particularly good against Vale Guardian, which is why I mentioned that boss specifically. A lot of elementalist’s DPS relies on the enemy staying relatively still, because many of their skills are AoE’s that deal damage over 4+ seconds. So ele winds up being really good in the first phase, but only so-so in the later phases, and it turns out that being good in the last phase is waaaay more important than being good in the first one. If you’re playing staff, many of your lava fonts won’t hit for even half their damage, even if you lead the boss a bit. The same is true for fresh air with burning speed and, to a lesser extent, wildfire. Elementalist also has awful CC and almost nothing in the way of seeker control. There isn’t anything extra to hit with ele’s huge aoe skills.

But even with all that, ele isn’t super horrible in that fight. It still deals OK damage, and it deals it from range if you’re playing staff which is good for green lightning, and bring eye of the storm to help your lightning team. But I still don’t like to have new players on ele for that fight because they get punished super hard for mistakes. Eles die ridiculously easily in that fight, and new players don’t know the mechanics particularly well by definition, and so whenever I get new ele players they spend most of their time dying. Obviously I do my best to explain what they have to do to stay alive, but if you’ve never faced the boss before it’s a lot of stuff to manage at once. You have to stay out of the way of seekers and can easily die if you don’t know how they spawn, you have to be sure you don’t stand in front of the boss, you have to be extremely vigilant about playing touhou to avoid the white orbs, you have position yourself to not get hit by Blue & Green guardian while still getting healed during the split, if you get teleported you are almost certainly going down, and you get chunked every so often just because you’re on the lightning team. On top of that, since you have bad CC and seeker control you don’t get any practice on dealing with those mechanics, which is really bad since those are the mechanics most likely to wipe a party.

I’m not saying that new ele players just walk in and instantly die, but going down 3-5 times each pull wouldn’t be an exaggeration. That kind of thing is frustrating for the player, and is also bad for anyone else who is there to learn and has to spend a huge chunk of their time rezzing instead of actually playing the fight.

I don’t know, I haven’t done pug raids in months so I don’t know what the “pug meta” or whatever is for VG, but I find ele to be nothing special in that fight. It doesn’t achieve its full DPS, it has no CC, and it’s ridiculously easy to go down. I think that you and several other people in this thread are only looking through the VG fight from the eyes of an experienced raider, and you can bring ele to the fight and do just fine (and I enjoy doing that myself), but that doesn’t mean it’s a good fight for ele. The damage isn’t total crap but it certainly isn’t as good as what you can achieve with a thief, and thief brings actual CC and is harder to kill. Mostly though I just meant that it’s a horrible class to bring to VG if you have no experience with the encounter.

I would also say that ele is pretty mediocre against Matthias for similar reasons, but at least ele utility there (aoe burns) has some use.

This post got long real fast but yeah…ele not so great against VG. If people have other perspectives I would love to hear them, but this has generally been my experience with that fight.

randomguy.1283

ele still deals the most damage to VG even if it moves.

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

So while it can be useful to be proficient at multiple classes, it’s definitely not necessary.

Chrono, Druid, warrior, tempest, revenant, and DH are all fine/great on every fight. Thief, engineer, and necromancer will vary in effectiveness and some groups will prefer that you not use one of those classes sometimes.

That being said, if you’re just trying to hop into random groups, it’s best to play as many classes as possible because that increases the chances that you can fill the role that someone wants. I only play chrono and despite chrono being present in every raid, not every raid group is looking for a chrono at any given point in time.

However, your best bet is joining a guild or permanent raiding group, finding a role to play, and mastering that role. Do some research on the fights to become familiar with them, and look around for guilds/groups recruiting for new members. Don’t be afraid of letting them know that you’re inexperienced, as most groups don’t mind bringing a newer player up to speed.

randomguy.1283

So while it can be useful to be proficient at multiple classes, it’s definitely not necessary.

Chrono, Druid, warrior, tempest, revenant, and DH are all fine/great on every fight. Thief, engineer, and necromancer will vary in effectiveness and some groups will prefer that you not use one of those classes sometimes.

That being said, if you’re just trying to hop into random groups, it’s best to play as many classes as possible because that increases the chances that you can fill the role that someone wants. I only play chrono and despite chrono being present in every raid, not every raid group is looking for a chrono at any given point in time.

However, your best bet is joining a guild or permanent raiding group, finding a role to play, and mastering that role. Do some research on the fights to become familiar with them, and look around for guilds/groups recruiting for new members. Don’t be afraid of letting them know that you’re inexperienced, as most groups don’t mind bringing a newer player up to speed.

ewww revenant no

Fay.2357

ewww revenant no

I’ve beaten gorse with 3 revenants in the raid. Since gorse has by far the tightest dps check of the bosses, clearly revenants are fine at the very least.

reikken.4961

Doubt that a Tempest in maurauder will do more dps than a Guardian, a Thief or another Tempest in zerker gear.

Well, first of all, I didn’t say full marauder. I said marauder armor. Marauder armor is only a loss of 2.5% dps for a gain of 2k health. But now that I do the math, even full marauder, or in other words a gain of 6k health, only costs you 9% dps, which would still result in dps higher than any other class.

reikken.4961

Ele isn’t particularly good against Vale Guardian, which is why I mentioned that boss specifically. A lot of elementalist’s DPS relies on the enemy staying relatively still, because many of their skills are AoE’s that deal damage over 4+ seconds.

This is only true when the ele is using staff. D/W ele does not rely much on the target being stationary. Burning speed does 75% of its damage instantly, and air overload is a moving AoE for half the duration. And you can lead the boss with it so that it still has to run through the full 600 diameter once it drops. Only Wildfire damage takes a notable hit against a moving target, and it’s only every 15-20 seconds, which lines up quite nicely with the natural rotation (pull boss to spot and then keep it there for a bit, repeat. Use wildfire when you reach the next spot.). So ele still has highest dps. Thief closes the gap a bit, since it loses literally nothing on a moving target, but guardian takes a much bigger hit than ele does. And engineer takes a hit too. So maybe thief and ele tie for dps in the later phases of VG? But they’re both still way ahead of every other class.

Meanwhile, d/w ele has more range than other melees (and can take lightning flash without losing dps), making it much easier to avoid damage while doing dps, so you shouldn’t be dying any more on ele than on another class.

And then if you ARE using staff, it’s because you’re doing green circles. ie you need someone ranged. And staff ele still has the most ranged dps against VG during the moving phases.

randomguy.1283

ewww revenant no

I’ve beaten gorse with 3 revenants in the raid. Since gorse has by far the tightest dps check of the bosses, clearly revenants are fine at the very least.

Was that before they got bugged? atm they are bugged so that their auto attack (that thing that used to do actual damage) no longer scales of weapon damage.

Fay.2357

ewww revenant no

Was that before they got bugged? atm they are bugged so that their auto attack (that thing that used to do actual damage) no longer scales of weapon damage.

That was a week or two ago.

And didn’t they fix that already?

randomguy.1283

ewww revenant no

They have not, this is anet we’re talking about

Fay.2357

ewww revenant no

Just tested it out, it seems fine.

randomguy.1283

ewww revenant no

Having the same stats with a white weapon and with an exotic weapon will yield the same damage on the 1st and 3rd hit of the auto attack, that’s what you need to test.

Fay.2357

ewww revenant no

Having the same stats with a white weapon and with an exotic weapon will yield the same damage on the 1st and 3rd hit of the auto attack, that’s what you need to test.

Went out and tested with a white weapon and an ascended weapon. Swapped around other pieces of gear so that total power was the same with both of them. The ascended weapon did substantially more damage with all parts of the autoattack.

reikken.4961

I thought it was skill 2, not the auto

Raizen.7981

I’m not disagreeing with you (though I do think thief is fine because of high dps, mobility, and cc, it’s not the best option for first getting into raids), but the justification of “PUGs do it” is flawed, at best.

Thief is not fine because the dps isn’t the highest, and since it brings literally 0 utility, it’s not fine. And my argument “pugs do it” is not flawed at all. This is Gw2. This is the most casual, low skill cap, low dedication, come-and-go game that was ever released. A huge part of the players are unqualified to join a raiding guild(no skills or no gears), or simply play whenever they feel like playing(like I do/did), so having to play the game on schedule is a huge NO. Because if you’re having a raid at 21:00 after a bad/exhausting day, maybe you don’t feel like raiding. But you still HAVE to; so the game starts feeling like a chore, maybe even a second job. Which is why scheduling raids isn’t for everybody. All in all, my pug answer is as valid as it gets.

randomguy.1283

ewww revenant no

Went out and tested with a white weapon and an ascended weapon. Swapped around other pieces of gear so that total power was the same with both of them. The ascended weapon did substantially more damage with all parts of the autoattack.

There was actually just a post on reddit saying the opposite, and I’m getting confirmation from everyone in my guild that its still bugged, it still says its bugged on anet’s list of bugs. I’m really gonna need more than your word atm.

Fay.2357

ewww revenant no

There was actually just a post on reddit saying the opposite, and I’m getting confirmation from everyone in my guild that its still bugged, it still says its bugged on anet’s list of bugs. I’m really gonna need more than your word atm.

I’ll test again this evening and take some screenies to confirm.

Fay.2357

ewww revenant no

Ok, here we go.

First two screenshots (gw051 and gw052) show my two sets of stats used. I have a difference of 8 power, 1.58% critical chance, and .5% critical damage, which means that my damage stats are, for all intents and purposes, equal.

The next set of screenshots shows my damage vs the destroyer. gw053 contains the damage with the base quality sword. Note the relevant damage amounts:

1124 preparation thrust (crit)

1218 brutal blade (crit)
484 brutal blade (noncrit)

1426 rift slash 1 (crit)
612 rift slash 1 (noncrit)

230 rift slash 2 (noncrit)

The screenshot gw054 contains the damage dealt using the exotic sword. Note the relevant damage amounts:

1740 preparation thrust (crit)
826 preparation thrust (noncrit)

1947 brutal blade (crit)
884 brutal blade (noncrit)

2356 rift slash 1 (crit)

553 rift slash 2 (crit)
219 rift slash 2 (noncrit)

So from this data, we can draw a couple conclusions. The first is that the auto chain is mostly unbugged. You can see drastically higher damage when using the exotic sword. However, there is an exception, and that’s with the 2nd half of the rift slash attack. The exploding rift portion of the attack does not scale with weapon damage at all, as the noncrit range was almost identical in both tests.

So it’s mostly fixed. The exploding rift portion is not a huge amount of the total damage contribution, which means that revenant sword will still do most of the damage it’s supposed to do, but the bug does in fact still persist for that last bit of the attack chain.

Attachments:

randomguy.1283

ewww revenant no

Ok, here we go.

First two screenshots (gw051 and gw052) show my two sets of stats used. I have a difference of 8 power, 1.58% critical chance, and .5% critical damage, which means that my damage stats are, for all intents and purposes, equal.

The next set of screenshots shows my damage vs the destroyer. gw053 contains the damage with the base quality sword. Note the relevant damage amounts:

1124 preparation thrust (crit)

1218 brutal blade (crit)
484 brutal blade (noncrit)

1426 rift slash 1 (crit)
612 rift slash 1 (noncrit)

230 rift slash 2 (noncrit)

The screenshot gw054 contains the damage dealt using the exotic sword. Note the relevant damage amounts:

1740 preparation thrust (crit)
826 preparation thrust (noncrit)

1947 brutal blade (crit)
884 brutal blade (noncrit)

2356 rift slash 1 (crit)

553 rift slash 2 (crit)
219 rift slash 2 (noncrit)

So from this data, we can draw a couple conclusions. The first is that the auto chain is mostly unbugged. You can see drastically higher damage when using the exotic sword. However, there is an exception, and that’s with the 2nd half of the rift slash attack. The exploding rift portion of the attack does not scale with weapon damage at all, as the noncrit range was almost identical in both tests.

So it’s mostly fixed. The exploding rift portion is not a huge amount of the total damage contribution, which means that revenant sword will still do most of the damage it’s supposed to do, but the bug does in fact still persist for that last bit of the attack chain.

Interesting, thanks!

reikken.4961

What about Precision Strike? did you check that?

Fay.2357

What about Precision Strike? did you check that?

I did not. I didn’t think that one was ever bugged. I can check it later though.

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

It was the rift created on the 3rd hit of auto, prec strike and UA that were bugged. None of them have been confirmed being fixed, and someone went back and tested them once or twice after patches.