Agony past lvl 20 is horrible design

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

Most of the bosses don’t properly telegraph their agony moves. I’m fine with difficulty, even AE 1 shots. But players need at least the chance to LoS or dodge the moves.

Currently agony is cheap. It’s artificial difficulty, and it needs to be fixed.

Agony currently applies before the half second animations even finish. Give people 1.5 seconds to react and make sure agony isn’t applying before the animations finish.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

It shouldn’t even be in the game anyway.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Agony is there for you to progress. What did you expect? Reach max difficultry in a few days after realease? It should take you weeks, months of progressing the dungoen

@Milennin and who exactly are you? Calling what should and what shouldnt be in the game? Developres decide, they created this game.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I agree with Dogbalster.The agony is here to make a chanllenge for hard core players.If you can’t handle difficulty 20+ then lower the level.The dungeon has bee out for 5 days only.What do you want?To beet it and be done with it?Even Heroic raids in other MMOs can’t be done in one week.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Agony and ascended gear shouldn’t exist anyway. The proper way to increase difficulty is to increase damage dealt by NPCs and give them new abilities.

(aoe knockback wider than the platform you’re standing on is NOT a good way to do this)

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

The purpose of agony is to be a hard gear-check to stop you from progressing unless you have the right gear. Anet in its infinite wisdom decided that after swearing up and down they wouldn’t make a gear treadmill that what people really wanted was a gear treadmill.

If you could avoid agony it wouldn’t be a hard gear check and there would be no point to it.

Agony isn’t SUPPOSED to be a clever mechanic. It is supposed to be a mechanic that checks your gear and kills you if you don’t have it. It’s really that simple.

Posted by: Ghostly.4162

Ghostly.4162

There are literally VERY few bosses that you can’t avoid agony on.

You cannot avoid agony on Jade Maw (without clever use of game mechanics)

It’s hard but you can avoid agony on every other fractal. Some are easier than others (most infact are really easy)

+0 – + 5 agony will reach you to 20, at 20 you need atleast 10 to survive during maw (with self heal + aoe heal)

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

The purpose of agony is to be a hard gear-check to stop you from progressing unless you have the right gear. Anet in its infinite wisdom decided that after swearing up and down they wouldn’t make a gear treadmill that what people really wanted was a gear treadmill.

If you could avoid agony it wouldn’t be a hard gear check and there would be no point to it.

Agony isn’t SUPPOSED to be a clever mechanic. It is supposed to be a mechanic that checks your gear and kills you if you don’t have it. It’s really that simple.

This is exactly what agony is. Add this to the RNG for a resistance ring (time sink to keep you from progressing) and RNG for fractal armor (as opposed to the token system for skins in the rest of the world)

It’s hard but you can avoid agony on every other fractal. Some are easier than others (most infact are really easy)

+0 – + 5 agony will reach you to 20, at 20 you need atleast 10 to survive during maw (with self heal + aoe heal)

Please tell me which attacks from Mossman and Archdiviner apply agony. It’s such a clusterkitten of effects when my group fights them.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

Mossman’s Axe Throw applies Agony, but it has no telegraphed attack, you either have to watch him very carefully if for example he turns towards you, or get really lucky because generally i can never see that attack coming when the boss has 15 spell effects on him most annoyingly Burn.

i have no idea where it comes from the ArchDiviner, 3 of our melee got it but he never hit me with it despite being in melee all the time.

i dont mind dodging a telegraphed attack (when a mob has that Orange-ish Glow) but this is just silly.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Pretty sure it’s on his traps, I’ve had up 4 stacks of Agony from the Archdiviner. Might be wrong on it’s application, but it’s something which hits multiple times.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

It most definitely is the marks he lays down. So if you dodge them, which you should be anyhow, you will not get stacks.

Posted by: Ender.3508

Ender.3508

Agony and ascended gear shouldn’t exist anyway. The proper way to increase difficulty is to increase damage dealt by NPCs and give them new abilities.

(aoe knockback wider than the platform you’re standing on is NOT a good way to do this)

Stop. No. Go away.

While I agree with the new abilities part (hello aoe knockback), artificially tweaking damage and hp variables is a piss poor way to create an illusionary difficulty. What you end up with is a cheap gear check, and chokepointing in build selection. It’s called D3 Inferno mode if you don’t believe me, and it was pure trash on that game too.

Knockback has a counter, two actually: 1) dont get hit by it 2) stability. While yeah, its a bit OP if trash spams knockback with no cooldown, at least there is a counter. Raw, stupid high damage? Not so much.

Kretna 80 Elementalist
ex – The Midnight Syndicate [Dark]
Maguuma

Posted by: Tres.5427

Tres.5427

afaik only Jade Maw is the unavoidable one. Every other one is avoidable.

Archdiviner at the bottom applies agony by being in the circle when the aoe debuff actually goes off. You have a 1-2 second window to get out of it or if you have no reaction time just keep moving. In Phase 2 of the final seal fight the aoe flash applies it. The real problem with cliffside at higher difficulties is the healing seal part where like 10 chanters spawn. If you do not complete it at the start when it starts with 2 chanters on either side you’re pretty much boned. They apply stacks of vuln too fast with so many.

(edited by Tres.5427)

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Stop. No. Go away.

Nope.

While I agree with the new abilities part (hello aoe knockback), artificially tweaking damage and hp variables is a piss poor way to create an illusionary difficulty.

As opposed to ‘natural’ scaling with difficulty level? You’ll hit the brick wall eventually, regardless of agony, high HP/damage or any other means.

What you end up with is a cheap gear check, and chokepointing in build selection. It’s called D3 Inferno mode if you don’t believe me, and it was pure trash on that game too.

This gear check is currently known as “insert ascended gear to continue” and it’s still terrible.

Knockback has a counter, two actually: 1) dont get hit by it 2) stability. While yeah, its a bit OP if trash spams knockback with no cooldown, at least there is a counter. Raw, stupid high damage? Not so much.

Are you suggesting you cannot dodge stupid high damage going your way? Because a hit for any damage becomes 0 damage when it doesn’t hit you.