Alphard, Serpant of the waves

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Missywink.7162

Missywink.7162

Is this boss bugged ?

Currently stuck on this boss and we cant get past it. This is what is happening. The boss is doing the ability where it pulls you too them and places a bomb. Now the last time I did this boss you got a couple of seconds to evade the explosion. Now however the explosion is instant, giving you no chance at all to evade the attack.

Also the boss can pull you THROUGH the boxes meaning that you cannot even line of sight it.

Have ArenaNet changed/stealth buffed this boss ? Is this working as intended ? If so this boss has just become pretty much impossible.

Posted by: mahariel.4981

mahariel.4981

Drop your reflects directly on to her or be ready to eat the bomb. New alphard is good, she’s now joined lupicus as a pug destroyer and rewards players for strong, tight gameplay, I.e. speed running arah veterans. Took me like 15 attempts in a pug to get the hang of it, but now I can reflect her quite reliably.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) | [LOD]
Morrï Mahariel | Serah Mahariel | Morrï
A bunch of amateur solos from yours truly

Posted by: NeoVaris.4806

NeoVaris.4806

Also the pull happens after she does her unload, so be ready to dodge after she does it. Even if you have reflects up, dodge anyway since it sometimes can go through.

[HC]

Posted by: Missywink.7162

Missywink.7162

Thats the issue here though, you have no chance to dodge when she pulls. Am sorry to say but this fight is bugged to hell right now.

Lastnight was not a PuG run, it was a guild run with us all on coms. All of us had done path 2 before and this fight was not an issue before. Right now this fight is virtually impossible with the Pull/Bomb combo. You get pulled into her, and instantly explodes the bomb. She then places the bomb on the floor which explodes 2 seconds later. That is not all though. Sometimes you are hit by the first explosion and you then proceed to Yo-Yo back and forth for a few seconds before the 2nd explosion goes off.

Add to that we were unable to line of sight any of her attacks (Scorpian Pull went through the boxes and pulled you through the boxes as well) meaning that you are out of dodge when it is needed.

@mahariel.4981. This has nothing to do with PuGs and skill sets. This is about a fight that is 100% bugged at the moment. Here is a quote from another forum where people were saying the same as myself:

This boss used to have a move where he would pull everyone in with a scorpion wire and then lay down a Big ol’ Bomb that would do devastating damage but you could easily just dodge out of it, even if you got pulled. Now, when he pulls you in, he seems to do the bomb damage instantly, knocking you back and hurting you plenty and then proceeds to put down another bomb.

BUT whoever designed this buff did a HORRIBLE job because it bugs out 60% of the time, knocking you back and forth three to four times, instantly downing AND killing you. The red-ring indication, supposed to show you the range of the bomb LIES, it has at least 100 range more than is shown, tricking you in thinking you are save when you’re not.

This change, not even shown in the patch notes, is horrible. If you’re making such a change (assuming that it’s not just a bug), then first make sure it can’t bug out in a way that instantly kills the whole group without being able to do anything against it, ANet.

So please stop with the L2P comments and stop turning this into an elitist guild post.

mahariel.4981

Actually, if you stop stacking directly on top of her and pay attention, it’s quite easy to see. Place reflects directly on her, but dodge just in case they slip through, then it’s a smooth fight. It’s not bugged, they made the fight better.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Drop your reflects directly on to her or be ready to eat the bomb. New alphard is good, she’s now joined lupicus as a pug destroyer and rewards players for strong, tight gameplay, I.e. speed running arah veterans. Took me like 15 attempts in a pug to get the hang of it, but now I can reflect her quite reliably.

Be careful what you wish for. The last time a change like that happened to a dungeon path (end boss TA Forward/Up) anet agreed with the people who complained that it “became too hard” and simply scraped the path (rather than reverting the change, that would be too hard for the poor developers) for a new living story path.

Coming to you in the next 3 months : Arah Path 2, Scarlet Returns. Now trying to take over the technology of the mursaat. Sad thing is it would probably make sense with the current lore and sabotaging (for 99% of the player base) a currently existing dungeon path would also give anet a good excuse for eliminating it once again for LS content.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Actually, if you stop stacking directly on top of her and pay attention, it’s quite easy to see. Place reflects directly on her, but dodge just in case they slip through, then it’s a smooth fight. It’s not bugged, they made the fight better.

Debatable. The fight is definately better in some ways. But i still consider it a bug.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

This fight is indeed impossible.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

The fight is definately better in some ways. But i still consider it a bug.

Agreed, there should be at least some explosion when she pulls, instead of being launched and downed out of nowhere (the bomb explodes later).
And she does the daggerstorm too instantly. Instead of instant daggerstorm, they should’ve granted her [invulnerability] to allow her to do the /threaten emote.
At least it’s harder and it’s so funny to see pugs devastated <3

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

The pull is definently dodgable at max melee. In pugs it’s best to dodge and step back incase someone gets pulled. Also the aoe circle seems to persist and deal insta-down damage, so wait until it’s gone before stepping back. But the shadow shot is buggy in the sense that it often ignores line reflects such as WoR and temporal curtain, which is what really makes this fight frustrating.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

Bring 1-2 Mesmers with Focus and Signet of the Ether. Do NOT trait for reflects. Untraited focus makes Warden block her projectiles, including her spinny electric orbs.

She’s still melee friendly if you do this right.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Thats the issue here though, you have no chance to dodge when she pulls. Am sorry to say but this fight is bugged to hell right now.

Stay at maximum ranged range (yeah, 15-20 meters away) and you’ll see when she does like a dancing move (no idea how to describe it better in english). That’s the animation that tells you she’s doing the pulling thing in 0.5 seconds. Just dodge when you see that animation and keep fighting at 20 meters away, never getting close. Another warrior and me (also a warrior) did that strategy and we killed it with our bows. Was slow but it was easy. You just need to save your dodge for that animation. We also were newbies and took us about 25 wipes.

The fight is not bugged, is just hard

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Or melee and do the same thing, killing her in half the time? Nevermind, ignore me.
I’ll probably end up being hunted down by scientific researches on how it actually isn’t half the dps but just a 37% or 29% or whatever…

mahariel.4981

Debatable. The fight is definately better in some ways. But i still consider it a bug.

I don’t think it’s bugged at all, they’ve just heavily trimmed the margin for error.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Im fairly certain they didnt intend for it to do the bomb explosion damage before the bomb goes off. It was too easy before. But its definately not supposed to be a double 1 shot. No matter how much better it makes the fight im fairly certain anet dont like instagib moves even when stacking PVT. The fixed the dagger storm exploit and as a result they broke her pull somehow. Not uncommon for these types of bugs to happen. Especially as anet dont do dungeon balance changes. They just “fix” bugs and exploits.

Posted by: Tyrannus Blade.3408

Tyrannus Blade.3408

It’s just plain punishing to have an insta-kill move have such a subtle animation from such a small enemy. Especially when the telegraph for the bomb does not sync with the damage dealt.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

The pull sometimes through WoR and Swirling wind is definitely bugged, but the fight is still manageable with dodge. Sometimes even if she fails to pull, the bomb still appears right at you. Gotta watch that too.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I like how they decided to make this boss less of a pushover, but this was definitely not the right way to do it. No longer being able to cancel the dagger storm is good, but sometimes with all of the particle effects it’s quite difficult to see the pull animation go through, and if even ONE player fails to dodge it sets off both bombs. Yeah, it’s still a manageable fight, but that doesn’t make this change in any less poor taste.

Posted by: Mirsa.1628

Mirsa.1628

I like the skill cap of the fight now, although I can see why particle animations would make it difficult to see the tell.

[GS] Gun Squad
Guild Master

mahariel.4981

The animation is about as subtle as getting a brick thrown at you. She even has a sound effect to go along with it.

Here’s what you do:

1. Stop stacking inside of her
2. Place reflects properly
3. Don’t spam pointless skills (as warrior go axe/sw + axe/m, hundred blades is just going to block everyone’s screen unless you’re all very comfortable with the fight)

The problem with pugs is they make a lot of particle effects for no real reason, you need to trim it down to the bare necessities.

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

I think this boss needs to be an undead asura instead. The particle effects and numbers aren’t doing a good enough job blocking her.

On a serious note, I do find it quite irritating that Wall of Reflection doesn’t consistently work unless you do it a certain way (which I didn’t know until I read this topic).

(edited by TurtleDragon.3108)

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

How many times did he repeat the word twilight in this thread and the others?

mahariel.4981

Hey atse, here’s some screen caps of my most recent party chat. You know, since you called me bad?

Also, obligatory laugh emote at the bottom.

To clarify what happened with the damaged armour piece, I got ballsy, had no reflects left and got downed when Alphard’s HP hit zero. My downed 3 skill finished her off.

So if I’m a bad player for carrying them through Alphard first try, what does that make you?

Attachments:

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

pretty sure that this is a bug although it might as well be a feature since useless developers aren’t gonna change it any time soon.

also ELES bring them to alphard, fiery rush destroys her. one ele should be enough to kill her with at most one phase, and 2 will probably be overkill.

Posted by: ourplague.7196

ourplague.7196

I thought so at first as well…. But now it’s a piece of cake. Try standing at range instead of stacking and going full melee. When you are at range, you will be able to see when the pull is about to happen. As soon as the spin animation starts, immediately dodge back and you will avoid the pull. Keep reflects going at all times and directly on Alphard if you aren’t a pro at evading attacks and you should be just fine. Either way works like a charm.

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Using your group utilities dosent mean carrying people… By that logic, everybody gets carried except mesmers\guardians.

Instead of pugging with bads and telling me how you’re carrying them , do a solo of alphard .

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Look for the 360 spin>dodge. That simple. Try not to look at your skill bar, but instead at Alphard.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I thought so at first as well…. But now it’s a piece of cake. Try standing at range instead of stacking and going full melee. When you are at range, you will be able to see when the pull is about to happen. As soon as the spin animation starts, immediately dodge back and you will avoid the pull. Keep reflects going at all times and directly on Alphard if you aren’t a pro at evading attacks and you should be just fine. Either way works like a charm.

I can’t believe thatyou missed the link. The Alphard duo was done naked on purpose.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: ourplague.7196

ourplague.7196

I can’t believe thatyou missed the link. The Alphard duo was done naked on purpose.

LMAO. Yep, I sure did.