Ancient Ooze & Mage Crusher (solo tactics)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Ancient Ooze:
He actually has two attacks. One is used at close targets and one at distant targets. If you quickly get close after his attack he will only use one of them giving you time for DPS.
You can check my Arah p1 video for demonstration. Took me about 5 minutes to kill with really unoptimized setup, only 9 months ago! (http://youtu.be/Y5QtE9WXDwA?t=3m).

Mage Crushers:

I think if you clean up closest risen hands they may appear somewhere else (can’t really confirm). Then of course keep side stepping at all times to make them miss. Defiant Stance might work really good allowing you to tank stuff.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Waaaaait… what specifically is different between Ooze’s attacks? The only things that I’ve noticed are that if you’re not within his range, he bounces towards you (which is why I was trying to keep him crippled as much as possible)… and that sometimes he immediately attacks again right after he’s finished and sometimes he screws around for a few seconds first.

Also this is once again another boss that GS #5 bugs (running in place) unless you do it right next to them :/ so perhaps your bull’s charge idea IS a really good choice… not decided because it does have kind of a lousy cooldown… I feel like I’d be able to benefit from some other utils more so.

By the way, great job :O definitely makes me eager for my next Arah P1 solo so that I can try changing the way that I fight it

Now about Mage Crusher…

I don’t think defiant stance would be a good idea for mage crusher because it lasts for way too short of a time for it to be worthwhile… the best you can do is just predict that he’s about to do one of his normal attacks but you have no way of guaranteeing whether or not he’s going to do it and I think it’d end up with having to hide behind the book with a mango pie nourishment to rectify inevitable mistakes.

I tried using Healing Surge once and it went horribly. It was much tougher to keep my HP up, but I did screw up a few times as well. Perhaps I should give it a go again now that I’m more comfortable with the fight.

Thanks for the post, great feedback ^.^

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Wethospu.6437

Ancient Ooze

You can always weaponswap out of Rush. But I think normal movement should be enough if you time it correctly.

IIRC, when I did Mage Crusher I used Mace/Sword to block his attacks. Hard to remember when it was so long time ago.

By the way, if you want to have good time go to solo Subject Alpha (excluding first encounter). AC end bosses are also pretty nice.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

Yeah, downing yourself in order to survive is great design.

Purple Miku.7032

Ancient Ooze

You can always weaponswap out of Rush. But I think normal movement should be enough if you time it correctly.

IIRC, when I did Mage Crusher I used Mace/Sword to block his attacks. Hard to remember when it was so long time ago.

By the way, if you want to have good time go to solo Subject Alpha (excluding first encounter). AC end bosses are also pretty nice.

Whoa, never saw this website before :o

Alright I will give this a shot. I only was soloing Ooze with the way I learned how to through trial and error so I figured there was probably much to improve on. :P

Many thanks for the Ooze tips! I’ll be sure to highlight a faster kill of it soon

I have been contemplating CoE solo attempts but I thought it wasn’t possible because he crystallizes people in the party for like 30 seconds.

Yeah, downing yourself in order to survive is great design.

??

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: Anicetus.1253

Anicetus.1253

The only possibility to escape the crystals as a warrior is going down, so in order to succeed at alpha, you need to get yourself downed at the right time (to rally of tendrils).

Purple Miku.7032

Haha that is kind of ret__ded. It should be like what happened with that tower of nightmares spider champion boss, where you can fight your way free out of it before he gets to you… or something like that.

Posted by: Alex.9106

Alex.9106

It is possible to dodge the crystalls, alpha has an animation for them.
(yes, the animation is quite fast, but possible with training, similar to lupicus kick just a little bit faster)

So if you fail a dodge you are trapped, when the aoe downs you you can still rally on tendrils.
Ok, classes with teleports can get out of the crystall if they are trapped.

Its even easier than Lupicus with a low hp class, where a missed dodge on a kick usually is your death.

How is that bad design?

Purple Miku.7032

Well the kicks from Lupi are only on phase 1 and as far as I know the crystallization happens throughout the entire fight for Alpha.

Personally I never even attempted to solo CoE before so I can’t say much on that but I definitely think it’s dumb that there’s no way of breaking free. You shouldn’t be REQUIRED to rally.

Posted by: Alex.9106

Alex.9106

Lupicus has his kick in phase 1 and his melee claw attack (similar to kick) in phase 2.

The crystall should be destroyed by teammates if you dont go solo, but if you go solo just learn how to dodge

Wethospu.6437

Lupicus has his kick in phase 1 and his melee claw attack (similar to kick) in phase 2.

The crystall should be destroyed by teammates if you dont go solo, but if you go solo just learn how to dodge

Are you telling me to “learn to dodge”? o.O

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I believe you could only dodge crystals with bugged reckless dodge and similar traits. Now, it’s possible only with stability.

Purple Miku.7032

Do you have to have stability active prior to the crystallization? Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought that you weren’t able to use any utils during it.

It normally never happened to me whenever I went in groups with people and I obviously never had to pay much attention to it because of how much of a snore the dungeon is with others… press 2 with GS equipped in a corner with 4 others brb everything dead. -_-

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Stability doesn’t block the crystal, one of the very few CCs that bypasses it.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Wethospu.6437

Stability works against every CC but stun breaks won’t. For example petrify from Simin/Bloodshard, crystal from Alpha, black projectile from Nokk and ice from some hotw bosses.

So you have use stability before getting hit. No worries, crystal has a cast time of 0.5 seconds!

Lindbur.2537

Mm, I’ll have to test the crystal later.

A remnant of times past.

Wethospu.6437

You don’t trust me???

Posted by: joey the creator.3587

joey the creator.3587

You don’t need to dodge the crystal to solo it, thief has blinks and steal to escape.

Quit gw2. Casually play gw1 when I have spare time.

Lindbur.2537

You don’t trust me???

Well, it’s worth a test… I seem to recall being trapped even after popping stability, but I might have popped it too late that time.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

You don’t trust me???

Well, it’s worth a test… I seem to recall being trapped even after popping stability, but I might have popped it too late that time.

Fairly sure you have to have stability and dodge it. And like weth said its 0.5 second animation which is very hard to dodge.

Lindbur.2537

What happens if you dodge without stability?

A remnant of times past.

Wethospu.6437

You don’t have to dodge with stability. Without stability you just get crystallized mid-dodge.

0.5 secs is quite fast cast time so you really have to react fast (hardware, internet, etc. can easily give you latency of 0.25 secs).

Lindbur.2537

Thanks for the info

A remnant of times past.

Purple Miku.7032

Sounds like CoE is going to be a frustrating dungeon to solo haha… I have 250 ping on average because I stream on a laptop, live in the US and play on EU ._.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

lol 250 ping, qt3.14

Let me introduce you to my friend(s) Dub & Oceanics

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: Amicable Pugs.4503

Amicable Pugs.4503

Ooze 3:25 :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXK-hDhRsk
was bored k?.-.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Soloing Ooze as mesmer is so long and unforgiving. I almost did it… you can’t really utilize your clones or reflections, I just cast one phantasm when I can and shatter it after a sec, because otherwise they take aggro and Ooze uses the 3-jump skill. So basically it’s just mashing weak #1, and you don’t have a proper gap closer, because #3 of sword is so laggy and unreliable :| so you have to just run to it and sometimes it’s too slow and it uses the 3-jump :|
/ yolo no food

Attachments:

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

Purple Miku.7032

Yeah I can’t imagine this being too fun on a mesmer. Actually aside from the last “boss” (if anyone considers that anti-climactic crap at the end a fight), path 1 doesn’t have any bosses that are ideal for a mesmer. :/

Sublimatio.6981

Mesmer update. Managed to do it with traveler runes, somehow
Tried with thief as well and it was a punching bag – thief has great gap closers

Attachments:

Purple Miku.7032

Good stuff and yeah I can see it being a pretty nice fight with a thief. You were using d/d, yeah? I still haven’t played another class before so I don’t know what it’d be like firsthand, but any class that’s capable of dealing quick direct damage is ideal for this.

I’d like to see someone try this with ranger sword autoattacks, lmao. I heard that it’s tough to break out of the autoattack chain so I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to get destroyed from being unable to evade in time.

Sublimatio.6981

On thief I used d/p because I didn’t use backstab, and I dont have dagger for undead slaying, only pistol. So I had 15% dmg increase. Also, #3 from d/p is another gap closer.
Haha ranger is the only class I didn’t lvl to 80, just because of the sword AA :P I can’t imagine this fight as a ranger. Probably pet would take aggro and ruin everything. As ranger I would try with Greatsword (gap closer on #3).

Btw. to get out of Ooze’s range, you only need to dodge back once, it’s useful to know

I tried Korga on mesmer once, for the first time – I figured I could do it (very slowly, phantasms </3), but eventually she ressed a gorilla and I had to run xD

Purple Miku.7032

I tried Korga on mesmer once, for the first time – I figured I could do it (very slowly, phantasms </3), but eventually she ressed a gorilla and I had to run xD

LOL

That’s happened to me plenty of times. Nowadays depending on what mood I’m in I might just reset the fight if I lose scholar buff or if I get that “running-in-place” GS #5 glitch that happens with larger targets. I always try to add that in for extra DPS immediately followed by a 100b because if you time it properly, you’ll still be able to get the full 100b off before having to whirlwind.

Did you come to the realization that Varra Skylark is the epitome of ineptitude on your Korga attempt?

Most people don’t know her true potential to ruin your experience ingame. If you thought it was bad when she was shooting elite hunters out of the blue while you were approaching the entrance w/ the two abomination guards before Lupi… wait till you see her at Korga.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Why are you hating on Varra? She can solo lupi for you, shes op.

http://i.imgur.com/Msn9BYz.jpg

Purple Miku.7032

Why are you hating on Varra? She can solo lupi for you, shes op.

http://i.imgur.com/Msn9BYz.jpg

I can’t stop laughing

http://www.twitch.tv/purpleishawt/c/3857969

Sublimatio.6981

Haha, yes I know her abilities xd