Announcing Fall 2014 Dungeon Speed Clear Open

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

i think advertising in a manner of speaking is at fault somewhat as well.

The forums only reach so many people.

We advertised on forums, reddit, twitter, twitch and youtube. I personally reached out to the leaders of every speed clear guild to see what their plans were. If you have more suggestions I would love to hear. We do currently only have 7 teams., but if you add in all the teams who entered but had to withdraw for various reasons we would be at 12 right now, which would be a fine number.

I think the big issue is that a few of the guilds that participated last time (like Virtual Squirrels) have scheduling issues. A few have hurt feels. A few no longer exist, or are in the process of dying, and a few were simply too disinterested or too lazy to field a team. I still think we may get another team or two, but no idea.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

I just want to add to the last few comments. It is actually very difficult to get 4 other people who are dedicated to do these types of events. Having participated in 2 prior, we usually always had 1-2 people not being able to show up for practice. Having people not willing to show up really demotivates every one else in the group and as time goes on more people get demotivated to practice with the feeling of “why should I sacrifice my free time when this guy said he would make it for practice and ends up ditching us and shows up when he pleases.”

TL:DR very hard to get a group together to do these types of events.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its exactly as expected with a game thats dieing when it comes to endgame PvE.

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

I think you mean “dead since over a year”, spoj.

I hope the best for you guys though, since the first pvesportz tourney was the most enteetainment this game provided to me in a long time.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

It’s not just endgame PvE that’s dead in this game.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

True but i wont speak for the other areas.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

To add on to what Eco said, it’s really tough getting people together for this sort of thing, finding time to practice, and not having it conflict with RL schedules. I tried to make it a point to make it to every scheduled practice session last time around, but it’s tough and stressful, especially with other demands for your time both in-game and out. Unfortunately, I work 50 hours a week in a management position and I can’t predict my schedule, and I didn’t have the schedule to think about practicing for this until basically the other night.

I asked the FGS folks if we could try to rope something together, but it was a matter of too little too late. It’ll be too stressful trying to put things together last minute, so people aren’t interested. It’s a shame, but the timing is what it is.

Anyway, I’ll throw it out there that if someone needs a fifth in the last minute, I’d be happy to fill that slot. Good luck to all teams regardless.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Nyspar.6103

Nyspar.6103

Forget about practicing. Just wing it , it’ll still be fun ^^

[DnT] TargNyspar
Targaryen / Nymaria / Dwagonfire / Dwagonhunter

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

It will be fun if they fix server lags. Because it’s getting annoying as kitten.

hybrid.5027

3 hours left to register and we have 11 teams. One more team would be nice, if for nothing else than bracket cleanliness.

Posted by: Nyspar.6103

Nyspar.6103

*Correction
registration closes @ reset today.

[DnT] TargNyspar
Targaryen / Nymaria / Dwagonfire / Dwagonhunter

(edited by Nyspar.6103)

Posted by: Veckna.9621

Veckna.9621

Come on guys, let’s get a few more teams in for fun’s sake. Practice is for <insert female body part in the plural>!

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

This gun be epic !

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Tune into Nike’s stream (www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt) tonight at reset (NA servers) to see the seeding! Good luck to all the teams!

hybrid.5027

http://challonge.com/GW2SCO

Bracket set!

Preliminary Round 11am EDT (GMT -5): www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Intricacy [iV] vs Cool Kidz Club [Club]
Warriors Still [OP] vs Snow Crows 2 [SC2]
No Feedback [NoFB] vs More Pewpew Less [QQ]

Miku Lawrence.6329

“Fat girls can’t LOS.”
LMAO

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: DivineSlayer.5039

DivineSlayer.5039

Good luck to all competing teams! If you’re not competing make sure to watch! It’s gonna be a lot of fun!

[DnT] Thief Main

hybrid.5027

First Round starts 11am EDT (GMT -5) at www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Also, Fat Girls Can’t [LoS] had to withdraw due to an emergency so the bracket has changed a bit since they were the #2 seed.

Good luck to everyone!

Miku Lawrence.6329

It’s now 9 teams !

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Whose twitch exactly should I be tuning in to? Last time I think it was Nike but this time I dont know( The link carries me to twitch.tv not to any specific user.

or is it featured on twitch.tv itself? If so cool!

ah just looked 3 above and noticed bit late :P

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

So for those of us that were stuck at work.

how did it all go?

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

[iV] did beat [QQ] in the pre round, [NoFB] beat [Club], [KRS] beat [SC2] because SC used Doublewall which isn’t allowed. [SC]a beat [OP] and [DnT] beat [iV] after some trouble about a boss being bugged.

Good luck to all of the teams!

toxic since 2012

DonQuack.9025

GG ALL!!!!

NoFB that was beautiful.

Congrats to all. Thank you DnT+gwscr+all others for turning a productive day into a gw2 day

Posted by: Stalker strelok.9304

Stalker strelok.9304

Nice Tournament, GZ to NoFB. Perfect runs!

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Thanks to everyone organizing and participating this event. Can’t wait to watch and re-watch some of the games. GG WP!

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

hybrid.5027

Feedback thread. http://dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/15909451-fall-tournament-post-mortem/page/1

Please keep posts constructive and on topic.

Posted by: Raven.3248

Raven.3248

I think this tournament was a success.
Regarding the issue with DnT’s run, they clearly stopped dpsing which cost them a few seconds but in the end it was clear they had a better run.
Would have really liked to see coldsnap and rT.
But in the end NoFB took the trophy and proved they are the best guild

Just another Arah veteran

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

I think this tournament was a success.
Regarding the issue with DnT’s run, they clearly stopped dpsing which cost them a few seconds but in the end it was clear they had a better run.
Would have really liked to see coldsnap and rT.
But in the end NoFB took the trophy and proved they are the best guild

Maybe next time!

Either way Gz to the NoFB team, or LuPi and that one guy

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Rising Dusk.2408

As a general rule of thumb, I think it’s better to have post-mortem threads on this forum instead of the DnT forum, since it’ll garner more responses that way, but that’s me. I made it a point to post my thoughts regardless.

On the whole I think it was great. Thanks for hosting, and again, I feel really bad that I couldn’t pull together a team to play in this one. ;-;

Congratulations, [NoFB]! I loved how clean your runs were! It showed a lot of practice, and it was very impressive. I’m also very glad [DnT] participated this time around.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

hybrid.5027

Half of our members are banned on this forum and we don’t want to sift through silly comments like “lol next turneyment you use make each grup use a ranger lol” from people who didn’t participate and didnt watch.

Rising Dusk.2408

That’s a shame, but fair enough.

Posted by: Debbysaurus.4016

Debbysaurus.4016

@hybrid.5027
We use rangers lol.
2 even in some paths xD

Intricacy [iV]
Seafarer’s Rest
My Youtube channel

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

My thoughts on the tourney and getting more people to participate:
I think there is two thing stopping casual groups from participating.
1: They think they will not make it far in the tourney.
2: They won’t get rewarded. The previous tourney, I think as long as you make it past the first round each member gets 10 gold.

I think there should be rules to make casual teams feel like they have a shot at winning. Maybe someone here can think of a great one.
Here is my suggestion(probably not the best)
32 paths are simply too much to practice for a casual team. What if the first round only has AC/CoF/SE(most pugs run them) as choices to randomly pick from? And since only 2 sets get streamed, it shouldn’t feel repetitive for the viewers. This way pugs can practice the kitten out of AC/CoF/SE and feel like they did good.

PS: ban story, TAA and arah path 4 since they annoying as hell to practice.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

DonQuack.9025

I echo things that have been said. Flat out
1. I doubt I have a chance in hell to beat the upper tier guys.
2. Embarrassment. Maybe if only some of us scrub tier had to stream ( publicly) still stream for refs and such.
3. See 1.
4. See 3.
5. See 4.
6. It is quite hard to try and get 4 guys of my level together to do something like this and somehow convince them they arent wasting time. I did try. I wanted to enter cuz I was like " YOLO" but others were like “NOLO”

maybe brackets?

Newbs / non-record holding team bracket top 3 from here can enter(build up confidence) Pro bracket

Pro bracket- as is.

As much as I enjoyed it Now that I think about it. I think it may be a bit more enjoyable to not have everyone be so “pro”. more wipes/ more downs/ more Oh kitten’s more unconventional. But i guess for that to happen more people need to join overall.

Note on Lupi- I forget which team it was that failed the wall. That struggle was visually more intense than the insta kill pretty much everyone else did.

the “Oh he just ate a kick” “you” made some tension. I wanted to see more.

On the part of the voice work. There was a general lack of excitement? Maybe the runs werent exciting because you are pro’s also? but then again it may be because speed clearing while i know it has risks , doesnt look that way. You dont feel the tension. There was no “OH no x has to drop the wall of reflection now or else OH JUST IN TIME!!!”

might jsut be the nature of the beast rather than what you can actually do.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

A “non-pro” bracket would be cool as the two above posts suggest. Limit the possible dungeons for them and winner competes in the “pro” tournament.

Also: a tournament of solo runs (or maybe duo would be more interesting?) would be cool. Maybe even profession specific ones? It’d be awesome to watch… not sure how many people would be interested in participating though.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

With dps meters, two guys could play same dungeon and whoever deals more damage to bosses wins.

Posted by: Artemi.1437

Artemi.1437

As one of the more casual dungeon runners, here are my thoughts on the matter:
It’s cool to participate, but the training required and the runs at the tournament itself don’t seem to be that much fun. And if i also will get crushed, why should i participate?
The current tournament is all about the enyoment of the viewers. But who really wants to see more casual runs, where a larger part of the audience thinks: I can do better then these guys?

How about making the tournament for the casuals more about the enyoment of the participants. I don’t want to run against the guys who participate at Olympia, but running against the whole town and competing with the guys i know and the general populace is an entire different matter.

So for an idea: How about making a group-phase before the real torunament?
There will always be two guilds competing against each other, the path is set from the organizers, but the time when the competition is done, is for the two guilds to decide. They will still be recording there run, but it doens’t need to be streamed and is more for verification afterwards, if the two guilds can’t decide who won and to get the exact time of the run.

That way it’s more of an internal event for the guilds and no one needs to be shamed if they lost. And it’s there own decision how much they train the path they will be running against the other guild. Also if they happen to not have much time in a specific week, it isn’t a complete loss, they can still recover in the other match-ups.

And if all the participating guilds have the same path in a specific week, you could make it a rule to post the time for the run for all guilds. So even if the points or whatever are based on who of the two guilds won, you can still see how you did overall. So that when a more casual guild has to go up against one of the tops, they still have a reason to give it there all and don’t just decide to throw the match.

You could also do a ‘fun torunament’, for the ones who weren’t good enough for the serious one. In this you may have special restrictions with more of an event character to the run. For example: No weapons or no traits, you can only use one skill and no auto attack.
The goal would be to make it exiting to watch and to play, even if it isn’t on the highest level. Naturally you would hav to choose shorter and easier pathes for this as otherwise it may get too long and thus boring or to difficult, but that shouldn’t be much of a problem.

DonQuack.9025

But who really wants to see more casual runs, where a larger part of the audience thinks: I can do better then these guys?

I sort of agree but as it stands other than that group that ranged melandru and screw ups once youve seen one run youve pretty much seen them all. And that melandru group was “punished” (timewise)heavily for not going with the standard.
one thing that changed that up was the removal of paths already done

Ofc Im just assuming non-pro’s wouldnt do the same thing but I know my group would have atleast been more varied than the groups in the tourny. *mainly because I was at one point propositioning anyone who displayed interest in map chat unfortunately you need money for propositioning"

Also on Sat I was running around from map to map advertising my kitten off. Prolly against the rules but people displayed interest. A few that bothered replying did mention that they had no idea what the heck was going on. And I suppose that is the problem..

We want more people to watch but which people? Casuals? Anyone that displays interest? Dungeon runners? pro’s?

Posted by: Artemi.1437

Artemi.1437

I agree with you DonQuack, but i don’t think it would be much more varied with PuG-Tactics, they also have mostly one tactic for every path and that’s all. So you would see maybe two different tactics with one clearly inferior in terms of speed.
That’s why i had the idea of the fun tournament, where you have certian restrictions, where you need to use completely different kind of strategies/gameplay, which are choosen in a way to make watching it more entertaining

Also, from my understanding: The current problem is more about enough participants and not about enough viewers, as they are already plenty?

hybrid.5027

Also, from my understanding: The current problem is more about enough participants and not about enough viewers, as they are already plenty?

This is correct. there are probably about 12-16 dedicated speed run guilds of which only about half are active enough to put a team together and practice if they wanted to. So getting guilds who are active and interested and have the availability to play all weekend on a particular day is tough. The only place to expand is to have more casual guilds, or non-famous speed clear guilds. For whatever reason a very different set of guilds participated in the fractal tournament, which required no less amount of practice to be successful.

I think part of the solution is some kind of unique reward for all entrants like the pvp llama mini, but thats something Anet would have to offer not something we could do. The other solution is simply critical mass, if we have 24 teams and only 6 are speed clear guilds by defintion some if the less hardcore guilds will advance decently far in the tournament.

Posted by: ShadowRX.9024

ShadowRX.9024

As a general rule of thumb, I think it’s better to have post-mortem threads on this forum instead of the DnT forum, since it’ll garner more responses that way, but that’s me. I made it a point to post my thoughts regardless.

On the whole I think it was great. Thanks for hosting, and again, I feel really bad that I couldn’t pull together a team to play in this one. ;-;

Congratulations, [NoFB]! I loved how clean your runs were! It showed a lot of practice, and it was very impressive. I’m also very glad [DnT] participated this time around.

Ty xD though i must say we practiced 3 days + sunday ,around 10-12 h of practice in total. Also i loved the tournament and i hope more will come in the future.