Any advice for AC spider boss?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I’ve been in many teams recently (all pugs) and I noticed that players tend to have trouble with the spider boss. Aside from the standard “lrn2Dodge” and “lrn2Play,” does anyone have any advice for the spider boss?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

All go melee and she doesn’t use Venom Spray.

DanteZero.9736

All go melee and she doesn’t use Venom Spray.

Do you have any advice for dealing with her initial adds that spawn with her as well?

It seems a large amount of the groups I’m in can’t seem to deal with them too.

Wethospu.6437

With team, can’t you just kill them in seconds?
When I was alone I ran back and reseted situation and picked them off one by one.

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

You take out the initial wave of spiders first then range the fire cannons in the back while leaving the spiders near them alone. You don’t attack these until the cannons are gone because their defeat triggers the spider queen.

As for the queen, I’m still working on strategies. All melee doesn’t work because one point-blank poison trap and you’re all either running for cover or facing a party wipe. I found that she likes using the webspray right after the poison fields so, while moving from melee, she’s likely to trap someone in one.

Posted by: Jabiacas Horologium.4976

Jabiacas Horologium.4976

Crossplay pretty much has it for the adds, if you know your landscape there are places people can group line of sight to make them all come, then aoe them down, use condition removals, regen, protection, ect. to survive especially if your group is slow to kill them. The adds shouldn’t be a big deal unless you have no support and/or someone pulls the boss early, and that does happen a lot, use comunication, this is the fight that I more often than not discover who is new and just hasn’t bothered to tell anyone. the Queen, stay out of her red circle aoe’s, if one drops under you get out fast and use condition removal, the queens web can not be escaped by break stun, though stability before it may help. if you are caught in the web then red circles drop under you, use any defenses you may have, though you may just get downed, and condtion ticks on you while you are downed. If someone is down in the aoe, leave them be until it’s safe, have someone take the queen away to the other side of the room and get your people up when it’s safe.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Shield of the Avenger and Wall. Time Warp plus melee.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

Well the boss’ web shooting attack can’t hit you from what seems like 600+ away and the circles always are shot where you’re standing so if you can just keep putting the circles where you want (closer to the boss) and have good heals the boss can be ranged pretty easily. This is more of a solo thing as I only really do it after my team wipes.

For the adds just obstruct yourself and ranged enemies always run up to you. This allows you to use melee or aoe skills to effectively kill them all at once. This is less effective now with the buff to the spiders but it still works with enough dps.

Edit: Forgot to mention the boss no longer moves around anymore unless its attacks are obstructed so use that to your advantage

Edit 2: My video of soloing all spiders and statues fails included.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmkhyONc7m8

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

(edited by WonderfulCT.6278)

Wethospu.6437

Here’s my take on Spider Queen Solo: http://youtu.be/Cxq7Rle_HsA
It’s a melee one without fails.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Always attack her butt in melee.

Her cleave is super wide!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Lol I can’t solo her anymore. Warhorn used to make her poison fields a joke…

Posted by: Ubique.1876

Ubique.1876

Aside from the suggestions that have already been posted, my advice (specifically regarding the “learn to dodge” thing) is to watch for the red combo fields, count to three, then press dodge. It seems elementary, but if timed right, this tactic will allow you to avoid all trap-based encounters similar to this one.

DanteZero.9736

My problem with her poison fields involves their duration; it seems to last way too long and she fires what seems to be 6 total at any given time (3 from the first volley, and then 3 again while the first volley hasn’t worn off).

This could be just my poor perspective and timing of viewing these clouds though so take it with a grain of salt.

Aside from that, I generally play as an ele, thief, or mesmer for AC and encounter a lot of necros, guardians (omg so many of them), and warriors (ditto). Any advice for the specific professions?

I do know that mist form for eles and shadow step for thieves is helpful, same for blink on mesmer, but since we can’t reflect AoE projectiles, magnetic aura and feedback is of limited help when focusing on her.

Wethospu.6437

You should be able to reflect projectiles with AoE. Is Venom Spray an exception?

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

You should be able to reflect projectiles with AoE. Is Venom Spray an exception?

I don’t think they are projectiles at all; they seem to function more like targeted AoEs (see Necro Wells) because the circles do damage before the projectile lands; it seems the projectile is just a fancy graphic for the ability!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

For the tons of spider hatchlings there are two good options.

1. Reflection wall. The spiders are all ranged attackers and will kill themselves very quickly if reflected.

(Note, reflection only works on the spider hatchlings, not the Queen.)
2. LoS behind the wall in the back of the room. This will cause all the spiders to come there and group up, letting you AoE them down easily.

Posted by: Jex.8591

Jex.8591

Guardian reflect wall only works against the spider babies ranged attacks.
Shield of the Avenger does block the Spider Queens venom shots. Downside is that now that the shield is vulnerable to attack you’ll need to take extra care to keep her turned away from it. This also means a Shield Guardian could block a poison set or two with his Shield of Absorption.
Otherwise its careful clearing, quick reaction time and practice. And maybe some condition removal.

(edited by Jex.8591)

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

A greatsword Guardian can use Binding Blade to suck a great many hatchlings into one area, making them easy for him and others to AOE.

I agree with those that have said generally pick off that adds that come down with the Spider Queen with 900+ range.

Posted by: Matzepeng.1053

Matzepeng.1053

- I find staying behind her as much as you can in melee most effective, since that keeps you save from the web.
- The poison circles are much deadlier in combination with the web, because then you can’t dodge out
- if possible try to res people even when they’re out. you have to watch the poison circles, but it is possible to heal with one person, while the rest keep the spider busy.
- I would take out the statues as quick as possible (if possible before queen spawns) else melee will be a pain.

For warrior I’d recommend the following,
- condition removal through traits if possible
- Warhorn (especially traited) also makes for great support, call to arms grants vigor to the team (more dodges) and charge removes immobilize. if traited you can also remove a condition and turn them into a boon twice.
- for dmg I either go GS or Sw/Axe or both, I imagine Axe/Axe would be good too, this however leaves the statues to someone else
- use healing banners to support everyone