Any chance we'll be getting Hard mode?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Komuflage.2307

Komuflage.2307

I know there is a lot of people who struggles with dungeons, and think they are to hard. So there is no point in arguing about that in this thread as well.

However, there are quite a few of us who think the dungeons are way to easy, there is almost no strategy and as long as you just Dps and Heal, you can just tank’n spank any encounter.

I’ve played since release, and Dungeons have all ways been what I enjoy most in MMOs, but It’s starting to get boring to just tank’n spank all the dungeons over and over.

I read that you will be revamping the dungeons in the coming updates, and from what I’ve read a lot of the dungeons will be even easier than they are now.

This is a big concern for me and my guild.

So my question is, is there any chance that we will get GW1s Hard Mode back?

This could even be simply done by just increasing the damage and heatlh on most mobs and bosses, and adding a few mechanics. Like bosses that actually do a lot of healing so poison upkeep becomes useful (Release version of Searing Effigy if someone remembers)

Or bosses that use one shot ability’s more often than you got endurance to dodge (CoE Path 3 Project alpha) So a Vigor becomes useful (Getting bored of just spamming My hundred blade all the time, want to use my warhorn)

As I said, as dungeons are tuned atm all you need is High dps and a bit of healing, and dungeons becomes a cake walk.

I’ve seen a few post were people complain that 4W 1M is the best combo, and even thou this is more or less true, this is not just because Warrior are OP, but because the dungeons are tuned in a way that makes everything except DPS useless.

There is no use for poison upkeep, no use in stun-locking, no need to use any support spells, except a lil bit of healing, and Might ability’s (Which just increase DPS even more)

Posted by: Bloody Zac.8960

Bloody Zac.8960

I’m all for a Hard Mode, but for the love of god, please don’t buff up health on anything. Dungeon enemies are already essentially damage sponges.

I’m all for upping damage and adding more mechanics, though.

Posted by: theMrCravens.7683

theMrCravens.7683

I’d rather wait for them to add new dungeons honestly than having a HM mechanic.

We got ~24 exp mode dungeons.
If you add HM on top of that, lfg would get insanely long.

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

doubt you know what tank and spank means -.- i have yet to see the tank in this game which can actually tank&spank any of the bosses, a high amount of movability is needed…
if you mean stuff like running around pulling leavers and kitten, no ty….

a big problem with the ease of dungeon is exploiters which should be perma banned.

when that is said a difficulty choice would be nice on each dungeon, i dont think harder difficulty should gain any significant reward increase due to the nature of the game reward system, but a bit more would be ok

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

doubt you know what tank and spank means -.- i have yet to see the tank in this game which can actually tank&spank any of the bosses…

With my guardian I can facetank the end boss of CoF 1 without having to move.

Posted by: Lerysh.8173

Lerysh.8173

I want a level 80 version of every dungeon, AC on up. If this would be considered “Hard Mode” that would be great. Getting level 35 spineguards from AC again and again is annoying.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

doubt you know what tank and spank means -.- i have yet to see the tank in this game which can actually tank&spank any of the bosses…

I’ve stood toe to toe on my ranger as well, but without proper aggro holding mechanics how do you know he was only focusing on you.

As for Hardmodes. They are lazy game design. I’d much rather have new content or better balanced content over Hardmodes. In the end Normal modes will hardly ever be run and new people will have a harder and harder time learning them due to not enough people doing them or wanting to teach them. I’ve seen this happen in way to many MMOs that have HM content. Yes even in GW1.
On the subject of GW1 HM was added years after the initial release as a way to tide people over. As content wasn’t flowing in that fast. They might even had already begun on designing GW2 at that point.

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

doubt you know what tank and spank means -.- i have yet to see the tank in this game which can actually tank&spank any of the bosses, a high amount of movability is needed…

a big problem with the ease of dungeon is exploiters which should be perma banned.

when that is said a difficulty choice would be nice on each dungeon, i dont think harder difficulty should gain any significant reward increase due to the nature of the game reward system, but a bit more would be ok

Agree with this, great idea sir!

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

If they added hard mode it will most likely be an increase in stats. It is already tiring killing off some bosses mobs with absurb health pools especially the champion ettin/shaman from the fractal with the harpies

Posted by: skinnyb.5920

skinnyb.5920

I want them to add an “Agony Mode” where they go back and add agony attacks to all of the dungeon fights. It would make the agony/ascended gear system much more widely used than it is now.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I want them to add an “Agony Mode” where they go back and add agony attacks to all of the dungeon fights. It would make the agony/ascended gear system much more widely used than it is now.

That would requires anet to change how you obtain ascended items.

Posted by: Comalies.6295

Comalies.6295

They wont add in any “hard mode” because the amount of people who claim the dungeons are easy is so small,its not an issue.
They would however,add “harder” dungeons. Hence where fractals came in. And there will be alot more later…there is places on the map not open yet..soo just wait.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I’ve stood toe to toe on my ranger as well, but without proper aggro holding mechanics how do you know he was only focusing on you.

Because the rest of my team was ranged.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

I wouldnt mind a harder mode, I asked koptev what he thought about more hit point bosses and he said, “NO NO NO”

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Lupicus hard-mode, sounds good.
Phase 1: Infection now affects all players. Grubs have 2x health and start moving after 1 second. Lupicus moves during this phase and kicks peoples faces in. Every roar spawns 5 Locusts with 2x health.
Phase 2: Single-bolt is now triple-bolt and targets nearby two targets. Big-aoe has now bigger maximum-range, also uses shadow-walk during the attack. Melee-swing has shorter cast time. Shadow-walk damages and knocks targets on way, bigger end aoe which pulls targets in. All attacks from phase 1.
Phase 3: Life-channel targets now every player. Stops using Life-AoE when targets out of range. All attacks from phase 1 and 2. At 25% two Risen Silver enemies run to arena.

haviz.1340

Lupicus hard-mode, sounds good.
Phase 1: Infection now affects all players. Grubs have 2x health and start moving after 1 second. Lupicus moves during this phase and kicks peoples faces in. Every roar spawns 5 Locusts with 2x health.
Phase 2: Single-bolt is now triple-bolt and targets nearby two targets. Big-aoe has now bigger maximum-range, also uses shadow-walk during the attack. Melee-swing has shorter cast time. Shadow-walk damages and knocks targets on way, bigger end aoe which pulls targets in. All attacks from phase 1.
Phase 3: Life-channel targets now every player. Stops using Life-AoE when targets out of range. All attacks from phase 1 and 2. At 25% two Risen Silver enemies run to arena.

No stupid artificial agony mechanic!

Posted by: Megido.5061

Megido.5061

A hard mode wouldn’t solve the easiness of dungeons. They’re easy because they lack intuitive mechanics. There are fights where those mechanics are satisfactory to a degree (lupi) but the vast majority remain tank and spanks. Bumping up the stats of bosses only bottlenecks the dungeon community by restricting content to people who aren’t running with the best gear to counter the increased stats. Kholer in AC could 1 shot you with every attack he’s got but he’d still be a cakewalk because he can’t touch you as he is now.

haviz.1340

A hard mode wouldn’t solve the easiness of dungeons. They’re easy because they lack intuitive mechanics. There are fights where those mechanics are satisfactory to a degree (lupi) but the vast majority remain tank and spanks. Bumping up the stats of bosses only bottlenecks the dungeon community by restricting content to people who aren’t running with the best gear to counter the increased stats. Kholer in AC could 1 shot you with every attack he’s got but he’d still be a cakewalk because he can’t touch you as he is now.

They don’t lack intuitive mechanics. Rather, those unique bosses’ mechanics aren’t necessary to utilize in order to kill them.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

The very point of damage is to make you react to it. If boss deals no damage you don’t have to react. Pumping up damage would be great way to force people to actually learn the encounters. Then few more mechanics and many bosses would be rather interesting.
For example Kholer:
- no longer can be separated from silvers
- spawns 2 silvers every 25% hp
- pull has shorter cast time and is used more often
- melee-attacks deal more damage and are used more often
- uses gap-closer properly
- swaps target frequently (to balance increased single-target pressure)

Komuflage.2307

Imo, tank’n spank means standing still infront of the boss just spaming.

That’s pretty much what my group does on every boss in the game, Lupicus not counted.

I know the following will sound like elitism, but I really don’t understund how people can struggle so much with the dungeons, the only dungeons I’ve found hard in this game was; AC first time we did kholer with our lvl 35s.
First time we went up against Lupicus.

There are some nice mechanics in some fights, but they are not necessary, and it will go faster to just skip them.

My best example of this is the last boss in AC Path2. First time we was there we thought the cannons was a necessity, and we had 3 “supports” manning the cannon, 1 “tank” attacking the boss, and our glass cannons killing the adds. This was so fun, it felt like a really well designed fight and still the best I’ve had in GW2.

However we soon found out it was much faster to just stand in a circle around the boss just spaming, and dodging occasionally when he dug up from the ground.

Then we have the searing effigy in CoF path1 He was great fun the first weeks after release, when we had a dedicated posion upkeep player, 1 tank next to the boss, 1 support helping the tank and 2 glass cannons just killing of the crystals, we later found out that just mass DPSing was the easiest way to go, and then he got nerfed to the pathetic boss he is now.

The thing is I really like this game, and I want to keep playing, but the lack of challenge is really getting me bored.

haviz.1340

Imo, tank’n spank means standing still infront of the boss just spaming.

That’s pretty much what my group does on every boss in the game, Lupicus not counted.

You probably won’t believe but elementalist with offhand focus is able to face tank lupi, you might be forced to dodge once in a while and in p3 when he does aoe-life-leech but that’s just it. Oh, and it’s full zerker elementalist. Otherwise, just stand at his feet and punch him like you mean it.

Komuflage.2307

They wont add in any “hard mode” because the amount of people who claim the dungeons are easy is so small,its not an issue.
They would however,add “harder” dungeons. Hence where fractals came in. And there will be alot more later…there is places on the map not open yet..soo just wait.

I can’t wait half a year before we get challenging dungeons, I’ll have stopped playing by then.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Making a fight hard with interesting and involving mechanics?

I’m all for it.

Making a fight hard because of frickle/buggy mechanics (Simin) or because of over tuned numbers.

No thanks.

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I’d prefer a “soft” hard mode (think Ulduar) in which doing…something, whatever something may be, causes the boss to start using additional abilities. Maybe it even gives them a slight increase in damage. But preferably leave health and armor alone.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate