Anyone with acrophobia playing jp fractals?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

I have acrophobia and and I’m feeling very intensed.
It doesn’t goes away even after playing difficulty Lv10.

I even find the Eternal Battlefield WvWvW JP so much easier than the ones in fractals because EB has low height and a dark room. The Halloween clock tower isn’t scary because the tower is shrinking to the ground and doesn’t give that “height scare”. I’ve gotten 100% in map completion but fractal’s “height scare” is a different scale.

I only feel this way in fractals (hammer and asuran map). I get very dizzy and feeling intensed to find those maps enjoyable. In addition to feel a sense of peer pressure that if you fall, you slow down the entire team.

Once, one of my partymates asked me why I’m climbing up so slow. It’s my acrophobia making me hard to focus in this high-graphic game.

Anyone else with acrophobia having the same experience?

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I have terrible acrophobia, but for some reason the heights in a game do not affect me at all. I only noticed it a little when climbing to the top of Morgan’s Spiral. But still, nothing petrifying. It might be the same reason that heights in a roller coaster do not affect me. But make me climb a real tower and you won’t be able to move me anywhere.

There’s a few other platforming bits in Metrica Province that affected me a little, but I was still able to go through them quite quickly. Its different when you realize you are in no danger yourself, only your avatar.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I don’t have a fear of heights but some bits in the new dungeon and metrica province for some reason made me a bit nervous, it was really odd :P once I got familiar with the puzzle it was fine though.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

I tried Lv10 today. It became more scarier. >_<

The harpies on that level onwards start to knockback players off the platforms.

It’s really not for the few faint-hearted acrophobic players.

I can’t imagine as it goes higher.. Would they start making disappearing platforms?

Posted by: Tenicord.9803

Tenicord.9803

I honestly have this and have serious trouble with this especial that asura fractal.. my mind gets all scrambled and i get all shaky as i try to jump and yeah it’s bad … and I’m way behind everyone else who just hops on up. It’s silly but most phobias are I guess… I can’t help it.

“Our Time Is Now”
Waylon- lvl 80 Guardian
Trism – lvl 80 Engineer

Posted by: Nublakhan.6409

Nublakhan.6409

Also have acrophobia, to a fair extent. Funny how it translates to video games, too. Hands get sweaty, feet go numb, I usually let my team know ahead of time that I might need a moment to catch up. My guild thinks it’s funny as hell. I am more comfortable with water or nothing below instead of land. Thankfully mine starts to let up after a dozen or so runs.

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

Would it help to reduce the quality of the graphics so that it all looks less real?

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: Valentine.6529

Valentine.6529

The tilted cube and platforms don’t help either, especially the see through platforms. I feel dizzy doing that Asura one, have to take my time and try not to look down.

Posted by: Drakkonis.2768

Drakkonis.2768

I had a similar experience with some jumping puzzles. Vizier’s Tower and Pig Iron Quarry spring to mind. Usually, my legs freeze up and my palms get all sweaty, but if it becomes too extreme, I just step off the computer for a while and come back.

I do the jumping puzzles moving inch by inch, so it looks kinda weird to other people watching me.

Chaos is the only true answer.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I get a weird tingling feeling in my balls when I fall off some high place.

That’s all I can really contribute.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

I have a mild case of acrophobia, and it doesn’t help when I’m doing stuff where the floor is really far away. In games where I could control my height of descent, such as City of Heroes where flight is possible, it’s not so bad, but in Guild Wars 2…

I don’t think it helps where if you survive a long drop without dying, you fall flat on your face. It’s even worse when you do die from the drop. XD I normally have to take a breath or two to calm down for a moment before continuing, haha.

The halloween jumping puzzle wasn’t bad because you just fall into the clouds (or the clouds swallow you) and then the screen changes immediately. But on jumping puzzles with big drops, it’s nice to know I can usually take my time doing it, haha.

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

What?….Lol, people’s fear of heights translates into games?

A fear of heights is generally centered about a fear of falling (which is natural), but in a game you’re in no danger of falling, so why still fear it? A fear of death is in every animal, so when you’re about to die in game do you get panic attacks?

Posted by: Bashful Heart Bear.1953

Bashful Heart Bear.1953

Well if you ever get in my group I’ll drop a mesmer portal for you to the top!

Posted by: Ethos.4987

Ethos.4987

By the way, i think the asura one of fractals will eventually have tiles that dissapear (the partially yellow transparant ones). This type of tiles have been doing that before in other jumping puzzles in the open world (who don’t have such a height factor).

I’m not that afraid of heights but doing the asuran one at lvl 10 and the one with the hammer and the giant (i did it so so bad the last time, kept falling…) got me sweatty hands… i was really stressed with the height. Curious effect