Ascalonian Catacombs

Ascalonian Catacombs

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Is it normal for groups to not want anyone who isn’t 80? I was expecting it to be easy to get a group for AC since the level is 35 and my Warrior is 50 and in full rares with major sigils and runes. The common response seems to be something along the lines of, “Oh, you aren’t 80? Sorry.”. Not that I blame them if the system is designed in a way that discourages taking anyone who isn’t 80, but it kind of defeats the purpose of it being a level 35 dungeon in my opinion.

(edited by Ashanor.5319)

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Sugoi Travis.2651

Sugoi Travis.2651

I wouldn’t consider it normal; it’s more “elitist” in my opinion. Sure having 5 lvl 80s makes the dungeon easier, but there is nothing wrong with having a lvl 35 in your group. I’ve ran AC many times (enough for a full set of armor, 3 longbows, 3 shortbows, 2 axes, a warhorn, sword and torch) and I have had success even with sub-80 teams.

I once had a lvl 80 thief tell me that if the troll and Kholer were attacking each other, then it’s perfectly fine to attack both and NOT pull aggro. Sure enough, within 10 seconds of making that comment, Kholer turned to the thief, did his spin2win attack, and downed him instantly.

Granted that aggro mechanics aren’t truly understood, I think that any lvl 80 should know that attacking a mob, or even just standing near it, can generate some form of aggro.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I believe people make the assumption, that if you are under 80, that you must have kitten gear. They leave before you even get the chance to ping it. I am happy to take under 80’s so long as they have prepared the character with rare gear, runes and sigils. This is cheap and easy, and I do not think it’s asking too much, it will also ensure that they are making an adequate contribution to the dungeon run.

Tbh the only thing that gets under my skin is when people intentionally gimp their characters with bad gear when they have ample access to a decent set for their level and class, to see what they can get away with, this rings especially true for Magic Finders.

TL:DR- As long as you’ve put the best gear you can on your lowbie, you are welcome in my parties.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

The difference betweem level 50 and 80 is huge.A level 80 Warrior can easily hits up to 10k Hundred blades on the spider queen.How much do you normaly hit ?I am realy curious about the difference.What I remember from when I was leveling my Warrior in AC was like 2-3k.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

it is not normal. it is lame. i got kicked out of party the other day with my lvl 75 necro. i just loled:) not to mention i lvled my 2nd character in AC, doing all paths like 100 times…

on the other hand, those ppl speed run the AC anyway which is not my style. i like to play the game, so im not disappointed i wasn’t a part of it.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Ashanor.5319

Tbh the only thing that gets under my skin is when people intentionally gimp their characters with bad gear when they have ample access to a decent set for their level and class, to see what they can get away with, this rings especially true for Magic Finders.

I would understand why people wouldn’t want to take a low level if they were wearing gear that intentionally gimped them. My Warrior is wearing full rares, including weapons and jewelry. Runes are 4x Divinity 2x Vampirism and I use Blood and Bloodlust Sigils currently. I have been using the 36% chance to steal health on crit pies and my crit is over 90% currently. Everything is Strong (power/precision) gear, and I am speced slightly hybrid but my HB probably does around 4.5-5k generally. Could probably get it up to 6-6.5k if I re-specialized to a pure glass cannon build.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about the late response, was out last night.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

You ran into a group of especially elitist speedrunners looking for cash. I suggest you search on gw2lfg.com and maybe even specifically mention that you are underlevelled. I’m very sure you’ll find someone because a lot of people run AC to level up their characters (It’s about a level a run).

Just make sure you get new gear before you do because it can be very difficult for an underlevelled player. And expect to be asked to run past/skip a lot of mob groups.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I only take people with lower lvl than 80 to dungeons if they do not have any lvl 80. I am not a twink lvl service.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: bambooxfox.5169

bambooxfox.5169

I care more about your attitude and skill than your gear or level. If you can listen to instructions, know how to dodge red circles, and generally aren’t a jerk to others, you’re welcome in my run even if you barely meet the minimum suggested level. And if it’s your first time, that’s cool too. Just let me know before we start so I can explain things along the way.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Ashanor.5319

I only take people with lower lvl than 80 to dungeons if they do not have any lvl 80. I am not a twink lvl service.

I have been playing since the beta events (and early access) but after release I ended up rerolling many times (almost all classes to at least 30) until I finally settled back on my original decision of Warrior. I also took a break from the game for a little over a month and spent a pretty large amount of time doing sPvP (919 games played) and a little WvW. So, this Warrior is my highest level character.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

Sounds like you would benefit from joining a guild, they certainly make getting groups with non 80’s easier

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Ascalonian Catacombs

Ashanor.5319

Sounds like you would benefit from joining a guild, they certainly make getting groups with non 80’s easier

I am in a 475 or so member guild that usually has around 50-75 members on at prime time. I have done some grouping with members, but mostly on the Hirathi Northern Camps DE. Maybe I will see if any of them are interested in running AC. Thanks.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Ashanor.5319

I am in a 475 or so member guild that usually has around 50-75 members on at prime time. I have done some grouping with members, but mostly on the Hirathi Northern Camps DE. Maybe I will see if any of them are interested in running AC. Thanks.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i personally do not have problem with entering AC with a low level if he knows what he is doing and not require me to babysit and rez him most of the time instead of fighting the mobs…. we are there to fight, not babysit…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

I could care less about your level. If you have a good attitude and are up front about your experience in the dungeon you’d be welcome if I need other party members.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: kmc.7681

kmc.7681

This is sad. I’m fortunate enough to be in a guild that makes regular runs through AC (and others) and they always ask the entire guild “Anyone in for…?” I remember going through AC for the first time at about lvl 50-60 (can’t remember exactly). Regardless, how are lower levels going to master dungeons if they keep running up against elitist groups who won’t let them join? Most people learn by doing, not by reading the wiki every single day. Good luck, OP!!!

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

This is sad. I’m fortunate enough to be in a guild that makes regular runs through AC (and others) and they always ask the entire guild “Anyone in for…?” …

Indeed, it’s very sad. We ran regular ACs and others with our guild members. AC runs are usually an introduction to dungeons for our newbies so we normally run with 2 80s and 3 under 50s (sometimes 3 in 35s with lousy gears). Great learning experiences for our members.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

I joined a group on my Warrior just the other day and I was only in my 50’s as well. I had never done AC explore before and was quite excited to go into it. I ended up saving a few of the 80s a couple of times, and even being the last alive at some points. It all depends on the people you can find to go with. They were all very willing to explain some parts to me before going in, and others told me just to follow the main guy and hit the called targets. Alas, we ran 2 paths and had an awesome time.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Nuke Morg.1952

Nuke Morg.1952

Never had issues when group had 1-2 ppl with lvl 35+. For AC it wasnt even slow runs with them. But some ppl really do not want these extra 3-5min for the run.

“Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.”

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Hillierawrs.5834

Hillierawrs.5834

Is it normal for groups to not want anyone who isn’t 80? I was expecting it to be easy to get a group for AC since the level is 35 and my Warrior is 50 and in full rares with major sigils and runes. The common response seems to be something along the lines of, “Oh, you aren’t 80? Sorry.”. Not that I blame them if the system is designed in a way that discourages taking anyone who isn’t 80, but it kind of defeats the purpose of it being a level 35 dungeon in my opinion.

I reckon it’s normal for speedrun players. My guild personally doesn’t mind low levels, since we all started out like that at one point. I reckon it’s just having the luck of finding someone who’s patient and doesn’t mind helping out.

As for being an experienced dungeonrunner that is just leveling up an alt, you could always mention that i suppose. Either way, i’m rather annoyed at this aswell, but i’m sure you can find some suitable parties at one point ^.^

I am woman, Hear me roar.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

I always advertise on map chat “LFM AC exp all paths, I don’t care what level you are :P” and I usually get a complete party in under two minutes. Even faster if I post on GW2LFG.

Do the runs take a little longer than an all 80 group. Yeah, I won’t lie, it takes longer. Do they often fail? Not at all. I can count on one hand the number of times I been in a group that just couldn’t finish a path, and I’ve done AC enough times to fully gear 3 level 80s. Sometimes I’m the only one still standing after Kholer’s pull, but I rez people and get back to fighting. By the time we get to path three, it’s only the odd missed dodge that requires a rez

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

I always advertise on map chat “LFM AC exp all paths, I don’t care what level you are :P” and I usually get a complete party in under two minutes. Even faster if I post on GW2LFG.

Coolest idea so far. Don’t CopyRight it because I am going to use it.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

I dislike doing dungeons with sub-lvl80 chars because
a)they aren’t always very knowledgeable about their class (I once had a lvl 40 ele who had no defensive utilities whatsoever)
b)they do MUCH less damage then a lvl80 making the dungeons a lot longer then they should be.
c)they are super squishy (partly because of gear and partly because most people are running leveling specs which are more often then not glass-canony (yes that is a word, i just made it up)).
Do they fail-no,not really,most of the time we manage to finish the dungeon,even if takes longer.
Is it fun to have undergeared,low level chars who do sad damage and die all the time?-
no,it is not (at least not for me).I play this game for fun and what is fun for me is doing a super-fast,super-smooth 20 min run with a full(or near full) lvl80 party.
What is not fun is taking 2hrs to finish ac path 1 in a group where i am the only person above level 60 and the only person not getting downed every 5 seconds.
Does this make me elitist?No idea.I just want to have fun.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

I’m not sure what to think here… but before I degress….

I joined a random group last night and we played AC. I offered that I’d never played it before starting. No one had any “issues” with that, it was mentioned that it was an easy area to complete. We all played in “Story mode” and when finished with some of the ‘cut scenes’ I could see that the others were viewing them as well.

While we all got killed multiple times, I found the 1st zone to be the hardest! Indeed there were a few times that others helped me up when I was downed and other times when I was the only one left fighting.

We likely spent WAY more time than the farmer/speedrunners and the like take but who cares? (everyone plays out their $60 how they see fit right?)

So is ‘OP’ the only way of tackling this?

There were really only two areas that we had difficulty with. The 1st being the starting area and then the one with the coffins. In both there were multiple NPC’s that had area effects that could knock you down. I tried standing behind something in the coffin area and still got hit.

Lvl48 – Ranger.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: fony.5102

fony.5102

the funniest thing is a group of 4 lvl 35-50 players demanding the 5th be lvl 80.

Ascalonian Catacombs

Posted by: Ackos.7942

Ackos.7942

I really think it depends on the server you are in. Today I went with a lvl 39 thief and no one said a thing about it. I must admit i would rather run with higher lvls 70+, but i dont really mind as long as they help. It depends on the people of the pug.
If you dont like pug players try finding a guild it helps or an other server.