Ascalonian Catacombs - Ghost Eater

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jex.8591

Jex.8591

I’m curious from all of you, in PUG runs and experienced runs what is the generally accepted method of killing the Ghost Eater?
I’ve always just kited the Ghost Eater to a trap, charged the trap, then damage it and repeat once more or maybe twice depending on damage involved. This is rather quick and needs only the basic idea of kiting and gun use. (It removes the need for the pull laser skill)

In this most recent just had a run in which the members were determined to pull the oozes across the gaps before the fight. Charging all the traps then pulling him one to the next. This felt incredibly slow in comparison to what I was used to but they claimed it was the normal method.

I’ve come here for a biased explanation, your opinion would be appreciated.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Charge the trap by the far pillar. The distance to pull oozes on this one is the shortest. Stack on that far pillar with one pulling. After his AoE is wasted to the side, he triggers trap and can be pulled to pillar. Less than 2 seconds to kill with the right composition. You should be able to do with one trap in most cases though (with a coordinated, DPS group).

Edit: Sure you already know, but worth mentioning using reflects.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

(edited by Saint.5647)

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Yeah, have fun charging traps mid-pull in a pug. It’s your funeral.

Exp is one trap and stack but pugs don’t even know how to reflect, so that’s out the window too.

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Exp is one trap and stack but pugs don’t even know how to reflect, so that’s out the window too.

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

We didn’t even use reflects this last run, Saint. Just 4x Fiery Rush, then dead. You could be right about replacing the guard with a ranger.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Your post reminds me of one of my worst ever experiences with dungeons overall. I’ve completed it like twice ever.

It took very little time to understand what you were supposed to do, but everyone seemed to enjoy being inept and not only refused to stack, use reflects, and dodge, but afterwards when they all immediately wipe they whine as if there wasn’t anything they could do to prevent it. I’m unable to DPS out the boss by myself due to people dragging it far away from any objects (can’t even get the job done by myself by looting FGS that I magically convinced the idiot ele to conjure), and post-fail and pre-attempt I CAN’T EVEN RECHARGE THE TRAPS BECAUSE THE PUGS ARE AGGROING THE BOSS WITH THE GUNS OMG.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Lately my guild does one trap. Charge the one closest to the pillar (southwest I think?). Aggro him to get him to drop AoEs on one person while everyone else is stacked, then pull him into the trap. Person runs to pillar, FGS’s drop, reflects go down, everyone rushes, ghost eater pops.

Saint.5647

We didn’t even use reflects this last run, Saint. Just 4x Fiery Rush, then dead. You could be right about replacing the guard with a ranger.

Yeah. It really was over too quickly. Time before that Clumsy just used swirling winds. I wonder how this goes in PuGs now? I figure with the meta and guides out for some time that they should be doing in one or two traps.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

The boss melts in like six seconds without FGS, there’s absolutely no reason to 4x FGS it at all. Even worse, if you rushed it in a corner then the time you lose pulling is time you could have spent just killing normally.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Saint.5647

He always pulls there quite quickly. I haven’t timed the difference between his pull time to stack and killing him on the trap though. A six second kill is pretty long but you may have a point with the pull time.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Pulling AC bosses to walls for fgs has been a big thing among some groups for a long time (since before pugs even knew about fgs). It was one of the reasons I left an old guild, we’d spend too long getting them to the side when they could’ve already been dead. I tend to prefer jumping on them as soon as you can damage them. They all die so fast anyway, especially ghost eater.

(edited by laharl.8435)

hendo.1940

He always pulls there quite quickly. I haven’t timed the difference between his pull time to stack and killing him on the trap though. A six second kill is pretty long but you may have a point with the pull time.

http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt/b/509094145

~59:30

Around 8 seconds for the kill, no banners, no FGS.

If you pull to the corner you have to waste time with him spewing gunk everywhere as he runs towards you and the actual walking itself.

There’s practically no reason to FGS him at all.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

There is if you dont have a class which can pull like that. As he will spit at you anyway without a cc pull. So you may aswell los him. When we do ac we pretty much only use eles, warrior and ranger so its easier to just get the warrior to bait out the spit and pull him into the trap. Then you may aswell let him walk a few metres more behind the pillar for a 1second fgs kill.

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

LoSing may not be the fastest but just attacking him outright is super slow. Its much more fun to watch his health bar instantly disappear.

@saint and ani Replacing the guard with a ranger would increase kill times but our problem is that we only have 1 person that actively plays ranger.

(edited by Clumsy.6257)

Anierna.6918

ill try ranger. although ill probably have a heart attack when my pet does something stupid or I get stuck in the sword AA and die >.<

where’s arthur when you need him? =(

Saint.5647

I don’t have the exact time of his pull and delay to place his AoE away from group. I
l’ll grant that we do waste some time on the pull. Still, I don’t think the time saved on the pull is enough to justify losing a 1-2 second kill time.

@Clumsy: I think a few people have alt Rangers. I was thinking of making one as well but I just never got around to it.

Edit: To the OPs question; as you can see, there are a few options.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Anierna.6918

I usually do the pull. it takes 4-5 seconds, then a 1-2 sec kill. everyone else stacks behind the pillar, I stand just outside the pillar and hit him with the green beam, i stand outside the stack for a sec so he does his aoe away from us, I walk into the stack behind the pillar, I might stack and drop fgs, the boss walks into the wall (ive never seen him not pull correctly), we fiery rush, he dies. like 6 secs total. better than an 8 sec kill.

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

And then you have the runs where your whole team wipes because you still manage to somehow fail to kill it even with 4x fgs, right?

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Clumsy.6257

And then you have the runs where your whole team wipes because you still manage to somehow fail to kill it even with 4x fgs, right?

We actually had something like this happen yesterday. One person with fgs had to solo and took off half of ghost eater’s hp before he became invuln again.
@ani Thats a long pull. Try using s/f and run straight to the pillar using swirling winds to destroy his spit.

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

if you were going for speed you’d rush + blink it anyway

so I hardly think it matters whether you rush in corner or fight the boss in the open, though fighting in the open is probably easier if you have no reflects…

Posted by: Ariete The Phoenix.8276

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

If you CC the boss before he reaches the stack, he will not pull correctly.

Also known as Liahm Lee

(edited by Ariete The Phoenix.8276)

Clumsy.6257

@ guanlong But if you use basilisk venom right as he reaches the stack then he’ll die before the stun wears out making any reflects irrelevant.

Saint.5647

Nope. It shouldn’t happen unless everyone simultaneously catches the YOLO and does some wacky stuff :P

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Anierna.6918

I can’t imagine anyone not killing something with 4x FGS. I’ve seen wipes with only 2x FGS, but never with 4×.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Incidence of five headless chickens with fiery greatswords wiping = incidence of five headless chickens without fiery greatswords wiping.

It’s not gonna magically save them if they don’t know how to press 4 without a target. :>

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Anierna.6918

I mean, assuming they do know not to target (I thought everyone knew that these days? Haven’t seen a pug in months who didn’t know how to Fiery Rush correctly, but maybe that’s just cause I don’t pug a lot). Never tested it, but I’m betting that even if we all wore PVT/Clerics, 4x FGS would still kill him =/

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

It’s pugs, you win some, you lose some. I mostly tend to get newbies, but in all honesty I actually rarely get complete idiots… though that might be because I don’t pug much.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Tree.3916

I can’t imagine anyone not killing something with 4x FGS. I’ve seen wipes with only 2x FGS, but never with 4×.

I don’t need to imagine it, I’ve seen your group wipe to the Ghost Eater and Spider Queen with 4x fgs on live stream. I’m sure it was a case of someone failing spectacularly, but nonetheless it happens. High risk high reward strategy and all that.

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

:O

Did I happen to be in that livestream???

Edit: it is surely a high risk, high reward strategy. Any group will fail that without a proper communication! What matters most is the pull, I think, especially if we don’t have a guard.

(edited by IrisTheCasual.3742)

Anierna.6918

I only started pulling Ghost Eater to the south-west trap and FGS’ing him behind the pillar in the last 3 weeks. Before that I was LH’ing without the pillar. And I personally was traveling from March 1 to 9, unable to login. Whichever livestream you’re talking about couldn’t possibly have been of me, in [DD], in Group A – maybe another group from [DD], or from when I was in [IX]. Or maybe when I was trialing 2 new guys. We’ve had some bad trials recently. Like 50% pass rate >.<

(edited by Anierna.6918)

Posted by: Jex.8591

Jex.8591

So it looks like some setup is an accepted strategy. Thanks for all the input, it is very enlightening.

Clumsy.6257

I don’t need to imagine it, I’ve seen your group wipe to the Ghost Eater and Spider Queen with 4x fgs on live stream. I’m sure it was a case of someone failing spectacularly, but nonetheless it happens. High risk high reward strategy and all that.

Nobody from DD streams. We did have a trial stream a tour with 4 trials/1 member but that trial didn’t pass. Its not surprising it failed.

hendo.1940

I saw the exact stream he is on about, and there was quadruple FGS and a wipe.

I couldn’t find the video on the person’s profile though, maybe they took it down or I’m an idiot and couldn’t remember what it was called.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Tree.3916

Nobody from DD streams. We did have a trial stream a tour with 4 trials/1 member but that trial didn’t pass. Its not surprising it failed.

I’m not making it up. I can tell you exactly who 3 of the 5 people in the group were but I have no idea about the other 2. One had your tag and one didn’t. Honestly though calling people out isn’t cool, since everybody wipes every now and again and there is no need to name names when the point I tried to convey was conveyed.

Clumsy.6257

I didn’t say you were making it up. I said that 4/5 of the people in that run weren’t in DD.

Anierna.6918

I’m not making it up. I can tell you exactly who 3 of the 5 people in the group were but I have no idea about the other 2. One had your tag and one didn’t. Honestly though calling people out isn’t cool, since everybody wipes every now and again and there is no need to name names when the point I tried to convey was conveyed.

PM me the names plz, and the link. I didn’t realize a vid existed until you mentioned it now. I didn’t realize a 4x FGS stack had failed or even could fail, unless the pull was bad. Bad pulls happen every once in a while – usually it’s when the boss aggro’s an NPC instead of the puller.

EDIT: this could all be academic. Diplomatic Dictators also has the [DD] tag, so it might not have been us. They’re a PvX guild on Kaineng.

(edited by Anierna.6918)

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Ghost eater can be a troll and not properly los on the pillar. We burned rushes into the pillar the other day and they didnt hit it because it decided to stop on the edge. So I can see how a wipe can happen with 4 fgs’s seeing as it almost happened to us xD.

IrisTheCasual.3742

I know it!!! Having me in the group is a recipe of disaster. You have been warned!

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

A pretty stressful job you’ve got there, Anierna. And I think I remember that run, spoj

Posted by: Rofl.6937

Rofl.6937

1 sided arguments.

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

I dont see how a warrior is needed in a 4x FGS group in AC, ive done them before the kill time on boss is barely noticeable since it gets down in under 3 seconds either way. The fact that ive been able to still get a pretty quick kill being the only zerker ele in a pug means you dont NEED 4x FGS to do the rush whirl strat and not wipe, just using 2 of them with just pugs as long as they know how to dodge is enough… reflects help aswel ofc.

EDIT: Anierna edited out the part where he said warriors were crucial to the FGS kill, so now this post seems really out of context..

Dr Winston | [DnT]

(edited by Delay.6908)

Tree.3916

PM me the names plz, and the link. I didn’t realize a vid existed until you mentioned it now. I didn’t realize a 4x FGS stack had failed or even could fail, unless the pull was bad. Bad pulls happen every once in a while – usually it’s when the boss aggro’s an NPC instead of the puller.

EDIT: this could all be academic. Diplomatic Dictators also has the [DD] tag, so it might not have been us. They’re a PvX guild on Kaineng.

I liked your post before the edit where you trashed your own guildmates over something that is no big deal really.

And you can fool the kids, but you can’t fool me. I know who was in that run.

Saint.5647

Well, Ani’s response got taken down. He’s still got the original I think. 15extraquaggans

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

(edited by Saint.5647)

IrisTheCasual.3742

I liked your post before the edit where you trashed your own guildmates over something that is no big deal really.

And you can fool the kids, but you can’t fool me. I know who was in that run.

This line is rather unnecessary, Tree.

I can understand Ani’s point of view as we never attempt to stream any of [DD] runs to gain public recognition, much less a stream from an initiate who is still under trial. I’m under an impression that when you were talking about that particularly bad wipe, you have pointed at [DD] as a whole and it is natural for Ani to defend his guild.

After all, there is no big deal between a 6 second or 8 second kill. We have been fighting in the open with the same group composition way way before this FGS idea popped up. It’s risky but it’s fun to see the big damage. After all, it’s precisely why I mostly play ele: to see the BIG numbers.

Edit: a good guard is one who knows how to make this 4-FGS strategy viable. I’m sure more than a couple of group leaders have raged at their guards for forgetting their rotations. It is hilarious and makes my tour less tedious.

Tree.3916

I wasn’t arguing anything. Someone said they couldn’t imagine that strategy failing. I cited a time when it failed, ironically by that person’s own guild. Wipes happen to everybody its NBD.

What I am on about now is the OTT reaction that has run the full 5 stages of grief so far. Probably, the right response was to go “yeah that was rough but wipes do happen.” and let that be the end of it. Denial, anger, etc were probably not the right way.

IrisTheCasual.3742

You two probably need a room. Just sayin’.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Wiping while using (casual) FGS strats is kind of inexcusable imo

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

IrisTheCasual.3742

Wiping while using (casual) FGS strats is kind of inexcusable imo

Inexcusable for what? Inexcusable for a self- advertised non-casual guild or inexcusable for a training session? or inexcusable for showing up in a sneaky stream which was kinda getting out of hands?

As Tree has said before, it’s no big deal and Ani shouldn’t have been too agitated about it. And your remark just makes Ani’s over-reaction (sorry, pal) more sense.

Sorry guys, I’m out of this discussion. It has been derailed to what I deliberately assume to be a personal attack. All of the strats presented above have proved to be successful against Ghost Eater. Hope the OP has received his answer.

P.S.: I’m one of the eles who were in that stream. And god forbid, I have run with [DD], [SC] and [DnT], as well as with pugs. I know what I’m saying and what can happen. In additions, friends know I’m bad enough to take half of the blame whenever it fails.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

Getting b8ed.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

back when we used a different spot (2nd trap pillar) to LOS ghost eater we had a couple of times where it would just reset midway through our rushes and walk away. fun stuff!