Ascalonian Catacombs Story mechanics issue

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Asami.3572

Asami.3572

I wouldn’t really classify this as a bug… just a mechanical oversight with the introduction of breakbars.

So recently I got bored and went to go do AC story with my druid. I had no issues with anything up until I got to the part where you fight Vassar and Ralena. The fights mechanics involve keeping the two bosses away from each other using fears, knockbacks, launches, or just throwing the boulders at them that are around the room. The problem is that breakbars don’t allow that kind of control anymore. You cannot use any type of control effect on them to keep them away from each other.

I managed to lure Ralena away from Vassar and trap her in the corridor that you can access by standing on the buttons and closed the door on her. However, it was a pain in the butt and required multiple tries to get her to actually come into the corridor and not leash back into the room.

Silver Koneko/Silver Kom Trikru/Lime Dorito
BG

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I’m assuming you’re solo from the problem you describe. The ‘official’ answer would be that dungeons are group content, and a party should be able to break the bar.

That said….
I don’t play anymore, but from what I’ve seen in recent solo videos, most people just burst them down together and ignore the mechanics thanks to powercreep. I’ve only seen that done on tempest, though, not sure if it’d be viable with druid DPS. I know I used to just burst them down on thief (pre-HoT) and it was usually easier than trying to trap Ralena in the hallway.

Posted by: Asami.3572

Asami.3572

I don’t think I explained the issue properly. The problem isn’t breaking the bar. The problem is that pre-HoT the mechanics of the fight were to use knockbacks and fears to keep them apart. Now with breakbars, that just is not possible because all that will do is drain the bar and then stun. Not actually move the mob.

Silver Koneko/Silver Kom Trikru/Lime Dorito
BG

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

They should probably just remove Defiance from them.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I don’t think I explained the issue properly. The problem isn’t breaking the bar. The problem is that pre-HoT the mechanics of the fight were to use knockbacks and fears to keep them apart. Now with breakbars, that just is not possible because all that will do is drain the bar and then stun. Not actually move the mob.

He did understand that and his solution was to ignore it and just burst them into narnia. Your points are valid of course, but I doubt anet will do any changes regarding this, considering it’s, well, dungeon content.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

They aren’t supposed to have breakbar since they never had defiance in the first place. I’m assuming when Anet was changing defiance, every champion-rank mob in the game received breakbar and no one even bothered to chceck for exceptions like Ralena and Vassar. Everyone at this point accepted that Anet is never gonna do anything related to dungeons (anything that would require them to actually do something besides changing a value), but I still find it quite sad that among tens of devs working on so many changes and balance to PvE not a single person bothered to have a quick look (a few minutes of 1 person’s time) at old content or heck even remember that there used to be something in the game called Ascalonian Catacombs.
To be honest, AC story is full of bugs and stupid oversights, not just this. Yes, I’m talking about the chains that are supposed to disable the traps. Sigh. Also I remember the burrow at Kasha bugging out weirdly.
I felt really embarrased when I brought a friend (pretty long time ago, most of these bugs have been ingored for months and probably will be forever) into the first dungeon in the game and had to admit how little Anet cares about fixing super-evident major bugs. A new person comes to the game, tries out AC after reaching lvl 30 and sees what? Game full of bugs, which he eventually learns were ignored for a long time and everyone’s lost hope of devs at least fixing the really obvious ones. GG Anet, way to keep new players interested in your game.

FYI, this is the real reason why the general interest in running dungeons is so low. It was never about the rewards (at least not entirely). Dungeons used to be the best part of the game IMO, but completely ignoring them and leaving major bugs untouched has resulted in the majority of players loosing interest.

So in conclusion, I have absolutely no hopes of Anet fixing this and removing breakbar from the lovers. Your best bet is to burst them down quickly if you can. If you cannot, a safer way (a bit longer though) is to use the doors in the corridor leading to Kasha to separate them.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

I solo that thing in 13-16 minutes .. uses the boulders .. they are everywhere. You have time to gather 3 or 4 on the same spot before the lovers spawn. If you can’t manage both at the same time lure and trap Renala in the corridor.

I reported many many times the chains bug to disable the traps … no fix yet .. i think it’s broken for more than a year now.

(edited by Farming Flats.5370)

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Ha, I did miss that point. I haven’t played since they’d announced the death of dungeons on HoT-eve, so I wasn’t aware the breakbar ate all CC and turned them into stuns. 10/10.