Ascalonian Catacombs - The Troll

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

I am probably being a troll by posting about this, but what the heck. I really would like to see this removed from ‘story’ mode or serverely nerfed.

I’ve been running CM on my little Thief over and over in story mode for loot/mats and exp, and have had the Troll 8 times today. Everytime it’s a series of repeated wipes with people leaving the group and then us finally using ‘Shadow Refuge’ to walk past the boss and skip it.

It really takes the fun away dying repeatedly and having people leave/quit because of this random boss.

Also, on the ‘lovers’ fight, please make it so that we can rally from killing the Illusionary Mages.

Posted by: Ram Banson.4081

Ram Banson.4081

Hes very simple! He has following atacks: a Autoatack which is bounces, dazes, and does quite a dmg( can not be reflected and blocked afaik) . the jump followed by a shockwave and a fear.
You can relatively easy solo it on a thief (invest 15 traitpoints in acrobatic for more dodges). Play dagger/dagger for more endurance on the AA and sword pistol in other weapon set, use death blossom or pistol whip to evade his bolts ( takes a little practise to get the feeling ) take infiltrators signet to remove the fear if he maybe fears you off the cliff and dodge his Jump of course.
If you fight him on a wall u can just dodge inside him when he jumps and will not get hit from the shockwaves, but if hes not in a wall u maybe should go out of the circle and just dodge the shockwaves, because if u dodge through! him you maybe get hit from the shockwave on the other side ^^
Its rly easy as a thief, i would love to upload a video of me soloing with my thief but im too lazy to get through the spider queens ads xD and maybe he isnt even there. But i rly want to make a video of it which hopefully helps ppl who have difficultys with him.

BTW: why u cry so much? obviously u didnt invest any attention in rly learning his atacks and how to evade them, but come to the forums and cry about it…
Gw2 dungeons are ridiculously easy anyway, once u figured few things out.
They nerfed sooo much already.
Its a dungeon, it should be dangerous and no free loot. and it realy isnt that dangerous already.
ppl quiting the instance because of this boss rly shows alot about a majority of the gw2 playerbase.
i will tell you a secret now, VERY less people know about it, and its very powerful… the secret is : dodge atacks, thats all u have to do.
Learn it, dodge it, do as much dmg as possible. Fun.

but i support to this, being able to rally on the illusionary mages. the red downstate makes a good balance anyway.

Blùb [LuPi]

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

That troll fight is very unfair for low lvl players, a non heavy armor lvl 40 can get one shot very easily.

And the lovers fight has a very random difficult, sometimes i’m soloing the guy while the rest of the group is killing that girl and i have no problem killing him, other times he spawns like 5 of those illusions which i cant cleave.

Posted by: Ram Banson.4081

Ram Banson.4081

its not unfair, i get onehitted with my lvl 80 thief too from his jump/shockwave. So the solution of it is to not get hit by it

Blùb [LuPi]

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

The troll is nothing but trolling.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

Its unfair if its the bouncing atack that one shots you.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

You’ve just reminded me of a boss that I need to try to solo. Thanks!

I remember when I was first exploring all of the dungeons for the first time, that cave troll beat the living hell out of me. Should be fun :o

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

I totally agree it should be removed from story mode. It is simple for a player who has faced it several times already and who is quite experienced of the game. A person on level 30 that wants to try dungeons for the first time won’t find it easy. Loads of teams simply breaks as troll spawns. It’s simply ridiculous to have it in a story mode.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If someone can solo the troll then a group should have no issues killing it. Learn the attacks and how to avoid them.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

cave troll is good boss. got mechanics that cannot be ignored

he is sole reason why i repeat ac story on daily basis, while i never do any other dungeon story modes, unless some friend asks for help

his bouncy autoattack is the only thing that must be evaded, if you get hit, you get weakness which reduces edurance regen unless cleansed

from jump and shockwaves – you can just walk away. that is, shockwaves are not homing, they should at your estimated location. if you change movement direction after they are launched, they miss

soloing troll is easier, than fighting him with 4 inexperienced allies, because:

• tricky bounces from allies that cannot evade them
  • shockwaves stack if players stand in one spot

if ally gets downed, in most cases its easier to lure troll away
attempting to revive is counter-productive as you can get interrupted by bouncy auto attack, or worse – stacked shockwaves

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

The troll is a nightmare when in a party with newbies. Because the newbies want him dead and they won’t skip until he’s dead.

So I learned my lessons. I let my party die then I solo him and tell them that they should basically skip him until they’re more experienced.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

cave troll is good boss.

Yeah, fear spam is the best thing to have come to this game.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

cave troll is good boss.

Yeah, fear spam is the best thing to have come to this game.

it does you no harm, unless you fall somewhere. on the flip side, you can use stun breaker or cleanse from allies that are out of fear range

that fear is only every 20 seconds or so, hardly a spam… that’s same as traited shake it off on warrior, which removes fear from nearby allies too

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Remove him? kitten , he’s optional, just run past him…

Also, as long as one party member can tank, his attacks are really easy to dodge/safespot from range. Try to get on some stairs/rocks/something else that will put you a little higher than him and the shockwaves won’t get ya.

Just because he can’t be stacked or safe-spotted doesn’t mean he should be removed. If anything, we need more trolls/Lupis/etc…

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Dear Anet Dungeon Team,

Please remove this optional boss because it is to hard for me.

Sincerely,
Rentapest

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: SorrowsEmbrace.8120

SorrowsEmbrace.8120

I think he was only suggesting it be removed from story mode, since the difficulty seems a little out of proportion of the rest of the story mode bosses.

That said, it’s good to learn early on that there are some fights which are possible, but aren’t worth your time in a pug group. Knowing how to skip mobs with high damage and CC attacks is an important skill for arah.

I know there are also complaints that the jump from story to explorable is “too much” for a fresh level 35, so having one optional boss which introduces you to the more unforgiving nature of explorable mode is probably for the best.

~ Zoii

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

This troll inherited the explorable mode characteristics at the time explorable mode was revamped. He is way out of line for story mode. This was pointed out by players at the time. That time was, perhaps not coincidentally, the last time we saw much feedback upon the dungeon forums as the dungeon team was supposedly disbanded.

Around that time a number of mobs had changes made in one part of the game that were wrongly inherited in other content. I’m specifically thinking of the risen and krait in the personal story. Those mistakes are not being repeated now but plenty of the old problems were never corrected.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

I managed to solo him from about 50%, on my lvl 45 thief after everyone died. But yeah it is rather tough boss for the story mode of the very first dungeon. It should be removed from story mode.