Ascended Drops: What's worth the time spent?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: mordefelix.5826

mordefelix.5826

Now I have a question,

Let’s say you were going for ascended drops. With the new update on being able to change ascended equipment to the stats you want with a maximum of 15 gold needed to do so, what would you do to get ascended drops?

A. Go do lvl 40 and 50 fractals in hopes of getting ascended equipment boxes.

B. Pay 15 to 20 gold each and everyday to join a FOTM party and make your gold at Silverwastes on the time spent normally trying to finish a lvl 40+ fractal.

Feel free to add your own topics

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Now I have a question,

Let’s say you were going for ascended drops. With the new update on being able to change ascended equipment to the stats you want with a maximum of 15 gold needed to do so, what would you do to get ascended drops?

B. Pay 15 to 20 gold each and everyday to join a FOTM party and make your gold at Silverwastes on the time spent normally trying to finish a lvl 40+ fractal.

I’d always run the fractals on my own because farming silverwastes is extremely boring imo and fractals are much more fun, also it feels better gaining those boxes myself.

Posted by: Kordash.2197

Kordash.2197

Now I have a question,

Do the fractals. SW gives on average 10 gold/hour (all included), while in 1 hour you can have cleared both 40 and 50 (with a decent meta group, very good runs ~30mins, average is 40 minutes). And it’s more fun.

If you don’t get the boxes, at least you gain gold. And my average run, if i sell everything is at this scale i earn ~4 gold per scale (be it 40 or 50)

(edited by Kordash.2197)

Posted by: mordefelix.5826

mordefelix.5826

Thank you very much for the input! That’s definitely an interesting perspective to think of personal reward factor of earning the ascended equipment into this.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Well first and foremost I do tequatl daily. It’s a solid chance at ascended boxes. Even if you don’t get ascended its pretty much guaranteed 2-3 g which is at least competitive with pug dungeon running(15 minute teq). Here is some data I found on it:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Talk:Dragon_Chest_%28container%29#100_of_each_dragon_chest_after_the_patch
looks like 1-5% chance. Pretty good. I always go staff ele for this. Meteor shower hits teq for 20k each during burn phases.

Next I would keep doing fractals. Buying 50 isn’t worth it because my reward level is only 25. However, I have gotten an ascended box drop already, so its not like only 40-50 has them.

EDIT: I should include, teq might only drop ascended weapons. I am not sure, but that data I gave you only has weapon chests, no armor.

(edited by thrag.9740)

Posted by: otome.2673

otome.2673

You should always buy Fractals 40+50

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Buying fractals NEVER worth money spent, unless you are very rich or cannot run by yourself and want fractal skins that much. Crafting one ascended weapon is like 50g, and you will not get boxes often enough to compensate 20g paid for 50 fractal.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: Desza.3028

Desza.3028

With the topic of Ascended drops…why does it say in game that the Ascended Drops start at level 10? When on the Wiki it states they don’t start dropping until level 11? If a Dev is monitoring this, could you please explain the discrepancy? And which is the truth? If they don’t start dropping until level 11, please change the description in the game (see pic attached, where the reward level is 10-19). Thanks for help in clearing this for me.

Attachments:

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

I do 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 everyday so….. option c) don’t hope for ascended chests?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The advantage for SW over actually doing fractals is that you can do it on autopilot: you can catch up on TV, podcasts, or whatever, while using only a third of your brain autoattacking in SW. This can save you a lot of time.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

You should just craft it. You only have like a 15% chance to get an armor or weapon box. Even if you do silverwaste you are better of crafting your own.

But if you really want the fractal skins, I suppose its a decent deal.

Posted by: Sully.9453

Sully.9453

I only buy runs for fractals when i don’t have the time to run it normally.

Keltina – Necromancer | Hoctar – Revenant
[DAWN] First Light Gaming – Blackgate

Posted by: Blush Lift.3570

Blush Lift.3570

I tend to try and run frac 50 daily unless its a different daily such as 1-10. Also using gw2efficiency to monitor my PuG times to give myself a little bit more of a challenge, not had a run take more than 50 minutes at level 50 (but that’s always starting with swamp).

I’ve had 10 boxes drop in a total of 70 level 30+ fracs. So I guess it all comes down to time, if you have the time then run it if not then the option to buy is there.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Now I have a question,

I run fractals to break the monotonny of SW. SW is by far better farm then fractals, or anything else in the game for that matter. Only people that dont know how to make use of what they get and vendor everything end up with low gold per hour, such as 10-20 range.

Give yourself like a month, craft what you can at the end if stuff doesnt drop for you, then sell the rest, profit.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

If you run fractal often your bank will look like mine. Fractal won’t make you rich a lot of the exotic you get are account bound and the drop rate will make you wanna go choke a kitten. But I did it just because I enjoy running them with friends just for the fun and the loots are bonus.

At one point I had 70+ ascend chests, used 2 sets of armors and a few weapons and now down to 53 chests. The only ascended item I ever crafted is a zerker coat because coat chest is extremely rare. And if you are trying to farm a complete set you are more likely to end up getting mostly boots/gloves. Btw, I’ve strange luck with ascended chests but fractal skin rarely drop for me.

Attachments:

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

WTB your luck, I really don’t want to make ascended light armor!

Posted by: Aife.2654

Aife.2654

If you run fractal often your bank will look like mine. Fractal won’t make you rich a lot of the exotic you get are account bound and the drop rate will make you wanna go choke a kitten. But I did it just because I enjoy running them with friends just for the fun and the loots are bonus.

At one point I had 70+ ascend chests, used 2 sets of armors and a few weapons and now down to 53 chests. The only ascended item I ever crafted is a zerker coat because coat chest is extremely rare. And if you are trying to farm a complete set you are more likely to end up getting mostly boots/gloves. Btw, I’ve strange luck with ascended chests but fractal skin rarely drop for me.

classic scam to motivate kiddos to worm out doing fractals like nuts. remenber me the guy with the lamborguini and the books in their garage video from youtube lolz.

its better craft your stuff because you really gonna have all the full set plus weapons before to see the first chest(and gonna be a boots.the more easy thing to craft)

Posted by: FinnTastic.8579

FinnTastic.8579

I do 19, 29, 40 and 49s everyday, sometimes 50s if the grp wants to deal with Maw. All while helping guildies get to rank 50. By the time they get to it, they already have an entire armor box set for another class.

The only hard part is getting that first set to even be able to do fractals, after that you are rolling in them.

If you have all your accessories/rings/neck/back infused you will have more then enough AR to do all the fractals to get the armor/weap chests.

Master Shenanigans 80 Thief
Lady Shenanigans 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Horus.9685

Horus.9685

You should always buy Fractals 40+50

as someone who also sells them from time to time- i can say thats true… i can also say that ppl pay allmost anything

The meta is dead, long live the meta.

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Work on your fractals and do your silver wastes. Throw some dungeons in there if you get bored. Don’t buy your fractals and don’t expect to get the ascended boxes you want. If you do, wahoo, you are lucky. However, don’t count on it. Similar to how I wouldn’t rely on the chance of getting a precursor drop for making a legendary (before HoT precursor crafting). Use the money you made from your fractals and silver wastes to buy the material to craft your ascended equimpment. Start at the bottom. Don’t buy bolts of damask, Deldrimor Steel ingots, or Elonian Leather Squares. Buy the the basic materials used to craft these. Plan your timing and try to make one of each of the materials you need, based on what your going for, per day. If you want to, you can also work on your bioluminescent collection achievement while you do silver wastes. Completing this will get you a nifty title, some bioluminescent skins, and any ascended armor box you want. This achievement was how I got my light berserker chest armor. This is what I did. However, I wanted to save as much money as possible and was not in a hurry to get any of my armor. I also knew I wanted the light in the darkness title and all the living story achievements. If you don’t want this achievement though, I would just craft the chest piece as well. Save it for last though just in case you change your mind or get an ascended box drop.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

(edited by Xstein.2187)