Ascended ring

Ascended ring

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lurtz.5380

Lurtz.5380

So I save up 10 Pristine Fractal Relic to buy same ring i hade the red ring of death, Cus what both my rings to have the same status, so today I got it

Then I found out the hard way ofter soulbounding it u can only have 1 of the same rings.

I am sorry to say this is a no go for me, No where its say u can only have 1 ring of ea so fine this very kitten.

Plz do somthink about this( make ring account bound or make so I can have my 2 rings!!!!)

Ascended ring

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Each ring is unique. Anything with the “unique” description on it means that you can only equip one of those things on a character.
The Red Ring of Death is the offensive infusion version of a ring. There is another one with the same stats but with a defensive infusion that you can equip with the Red Ring of Death since it is a different ring.

Ascended ring

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

They are:

Unique
Account Bound
Soulbound on Use

Thus, by using it, you soulbound it to your character. You may also have noticed the qualifier “Unique”, which in GW2 means that you can only have 1 of that item type equipped at once. This is why there are two rings for each stat combination, so that you can get one of each. It is not clearly explained what “Unique” means in-game, I agree, but it is captured on the Wiki and, honestly, it would be in your best interest to check before buying/equipping. I recognize that the communication on ANet’s end could be better, but a ten second Google search would’ve saved you all the trouble you just went through, so please consider doing that in the future.

Good luck, and sorry it went over for you like it did.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Ascended ring

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

Make one of your 2 rings ascended, then you can equip both.

Ascended ring

Posted by: JackBurton.1803

JackBurton.1803

But why would you search for something like this?

You can’t expect people to read the wiki all day for things they might acquire or purchase. I understand the logic behind “unique” but what does it hurt explaining it in the description of the item?

Anet seems to have a habit of erroring on the non-informative side of descriptions.

I would agree with the OP that he got kitten over by Anet on this one.

Just because it’s on the wiki doesn’t mean Anet shouldn’t explain better in-game.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen people waste time/money due the the lack of description or details from an item.

Just my 2 cents.

Ascended ring

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

While I don’t disagree, having “You can only equip one of this item per character” in the item description is unwieldy, lengthy, and cumbersome. Having a shorthand term for it is important. It is just like the term ‘Soulbound’. I never played any other true MMO prior to GW2, and so I had no idea what that meant. However, instead of soulbinding something and then complaining when I couldn’t move it to an alt, I looked it up online so I was prepared. I have never had an issue with that strategy, and I think using the resources available to you is important in a game with countless nuance functionalities like this (Or WoW, or any other MMO, really). It’s just the same as looking up an MF recipe before throwing your stuff into it; you really should make sure that you know what you’re getting before you do it.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Ascended ring

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

While I don’t disagree, having “You can only equip one of this item per character” in the item description is unwieldy, lengthy, and cumbersome. Having a shorthand term for it is important. It is just like the term ‘Soulbound’. I never played any other true MMO prior to GW2, and so I had no idea what that meant. However, instead of soulbinding something and then complaining when I couldn’t move it to an alt, I looked it up online so I was prepared. I have never had an issue with that strategy, and I think using the resources available to you is important in a game with countless nuance functionalities like this (Or WoW, or any other MMO, really). It’s just the same as looking up an MF recipe before throwing your stuff into it; you really should make sure that you know what you’re getting before you do it.

Same here. This is my first MMO, so I had no idea what soulbound, unique and all that was. I looked it all up on the wiki.

Ascended ring

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

You can’t expect people to read the wiki all day for things they might acquire or purchase. I understand the logic behind “unique” but what does it hurt explaining it in the description of the item?

Anet seems to have a habit of erroring on the non-informative side of descriptions.

Just because it’s on the wiki doesn’t mean Anet shouldn’t explain better in-game.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen people waste time/money due the the lack of description or details from an item.

Just my 2 cents.

What you are asking for is this :

Name of Item : Sword
Weapon Strength: 904 – 1000
+64 Precision → Increases Crit Hit Chance
+64 Toughness → Reduces Incomming Damage
+90 Condition Damage → Increases Damage done by some Conditions
Sword – This is the type of Weapon
Exotic- This is the quality/rarity category
Damage Type: Physical
Required Level: 80

Instead of the simple
Sword
Weapon Strength: 904 – 1000
+64 Precision
+64 Toughness
+90 Condition Damage
Sword Exotic
Damage Type: Physical
Required Level: 80

we have now.

A descriptor like “Exotic” or “Sword” or “Unique” is kind of pointless if it’s explained everywhere it shows up.

And in a way, it IS included in the game what it means – there is a reason why the developers not only started their own wiki but then make it so that typing in-game

/wiki Unique

(for example) brings up the page for the term. Or if it’s not a valid page name, searches for the term.

Ascended ring

Posted by: Malzeth.2168

Malzeth.2168

Just my 2 cents.

WHOA! No, Just no. You are NOT going to play Anet for your inability to comprehend a word. It’s there, “Unique”. If you don’t know what a word means, dictionary.com and look it up for the definition. You can’t blame a company for your inability to read….. We expect people in the year 2012(3) to be able to read, that is what is expected.

Crystal Desert / Guardian, Ranger, Ele, Engi “pewpew!” “NO YOU FOCUS!!”

Ascended ring

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

You either didn’t check the description of the ring, or you saw the word “unique” and didn’t bother to think about what that could mean.

Either way, your fault.

Anet make Rev great again.

Ascended ring

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

To be completely fair.

Unique
1. existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics.
2. having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable.

Not “you can only equip one of these items”

Also “Unique” is not new to guild wars players. In Guild wars, unique meant it was a rare and difficult to obtain. Unique items had special names based on the boss that dropped it or the campaign that you played to get it. And in no way did they have the rule of only being able to have or equip one.

For us that have played games with the words soulbound/unique on gear it’s a simple connection to make. But for someone who’s never seen those words and have no idea there is no or little connection to what they mean. This is gotten around by a simple warning and popup in games. Soulbound works because when you are about to soulbind an item the game warns you what you are about to do and what it means. With Unique it doesn’t let the person know what the heck that means. and if you didn’t come from one of the games that has already established this for you, a player can be easily lost.

Also, if you look at those other games, they also don’t let you possess more than 1 unique item. In other words If you have one you cannot get another at all. These small changes would go a long way to fixing a lot of the problems people have been having with unique items.

Telling the OP to look up unique in the dictionary is silly. by that definition if there is a unique item in the game then only 1 person should have it and there should only be one in the game world period.

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Ascended ring

Posted by: Hevosin.9187

Hevosin.9187

kitten.

Why do people keep using this word on the forums to describe things that have nothing to do with cute little cats………….

Ascended ring

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Why do people keep using this word on the forums to describe things that have nothing to do with cute little cats………….

whenever you swear or use another word that the filter feels is offensive it replaces it with “Kitten”

here are some examples, kitten the kittening kitteners.

Ascended ring

Hevosin.9187

whenever you swear or use another word that the filter feels is offensive it replaces it with “Kitten”

Reallllly? kitten

Ascended ring

Hevosin.9187

Reallllly? kitten

That explains SOOOO much

Ascended ring

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Anet isnt responsible for your not telling you in unique when its stated clearly on the item.

If it says something like “unique” something that cant be found on any other item… Evar. I wonder what it could possible mean…

It was noticeable if you bothered to stop and look. They cant be held responsible for your mistake made in haste.

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

Ascended ring

Posted by: Sellonic.1798

Sellonic.1798

rather then complaining about it. Anet please make “unique” rainbow coloured, so it’s easier to spot for people.

Ascended ring

Posted by: FreeLampie.5349

FreeLampie.5349

If we are trolling, for the word unique.. Why drop twice again at all?
If truly “Unique” there can be no other

Zelhar"

Ascended ring

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

If we are trolling, for the word unique.. Why drop twice again at all?
If truly “Unique” there can be no other

Because this game ecnoruages the enrollment of alts, by making several items “Account Bound” instead of character bound.

You are also able to play on your main and transfer over trophies and more through the bank. This includes extra rings from fractals as well, as long as you did not equip them,

Forcing the game to prevent unique items from dropping again would only make it tedious and harder for gearing alts.

Unique is not something new to games, it doesn’t make sense to make it harder to transfer items to your alts just because someone was new and didn’t know what the term unique ment.

Ascended ring

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

I understand from this thread that of each type there are defensive and offensive rings with identical stats, and that 2 exact same rings can’t be quipped at the same time.

Just to be clear. Does this also mean that it’s only possible to equip rings of the defensive and offensive type at the same time or are we also able to equip 2 rings of the same type be it offensive or defensive but with different stats?

To the OP:
I’m sorry for your loss.

Ascended ring

Posted by: Leger.3724

Leger.3724

Anet isnt responsible for your not telling you in unique when its stated clearly on the item.

If it says something like “unique” something that cant be found on any other item… Evar. I wonder what it could possible mean…

It was noticeable if you bothered to stop and look. They cant be held responsible for your mistake made in haste.

You could say “Anet isn’t responsible for….” for just about anything.

The accessories/rings set up in general is pretty poor. Unique makes it worse. I’m glad I came across this thread so I know this now. I would have been like the OP, grabbing 2 of the same if I did not see this thread.

Ascended ring

Posted by: BCruzP.7063

BCruzP.7063

Diablo 2 you can equip 2 Unique rings (SoJ)

Ascended ring

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Diablo 2 you can equip 2 Unique rings (SoJ)

Indeed, in Diablo 2, Unique means the ring won’t drop if someone has it in the game but not that you cannot equip two. But in Diablo 3 it means you can only equip one and you can drop as many as you can farm.

Ascended ring

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

Unique rings in GW2 are unnecessarily complicated. My first two infused rings with +10 were both Vassar rings, that is how I found out.

What does the difference between defensive slot and offensive slot really mean? +5 on some attribute of over 2000? And only that, if you are willing to totally overspend in terms of gold, mystic coins and most of all skill points.

At the same time rings are not available with all the stat combinations.

There is plenty of weeding out to do with these rings.

Ascended ring

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Each ring is unique. Anything with the “unique” description on it means that you can only equip one of those things on a character.

How are you expecting players to figure that out without buying two of the same ring ?
If the answer is ‘ask another player’ or ‘use some out of game guide’, then it’s also an admission that you haven’t adequately explained it in game.

What does having this ‘unique’ quality add to GW2 ?
Beyond the obvious of increasing grind by making people have to spend even more to get the same stats in the infusion on both rings.

Come to think of it, upgrading the rings to an infused version while also letting us stick an upgrade called into an infusion is also confusing in conversation.

While I don’t disagree, having “You can only equip one of this item per character” in the item description is unwieldy, lengthy, and cumbersome.

Then ANET has three good choices:
– Find a name that describes the effect in a better way. May not be possible.
– Put the unwieldy description in.
– Ditch the mechanic.

Having a shorthand term for it is important. It is just like the term ‘Soulbound’.

Soulbound would be better worded as “customized for {character name}” like they did in GW1. Or maybe "Soulbound to "{character name}.

Though Soulbound is also something that turns up at low levels, so players can learn it early for minimal cost. Unlike Unique which only turns up with really expensive gear.

WHOA! No, Just no. You are NOT going to play Anet for your inability to comprehend a word. It’s there, “Unique”. If you don’t know what a word means, dictionary.com and look it up for the definition. You can’t blame a company for your inability to read….. We expect people in the year 2012(3) to be able to read, that is what is expected.

When I think of the word Unique in regards to MMOs, I think of Diablo 2 where it just meant really rare. Or GW1 where it also referred to rare weaponry that only ever came with one specific stat combination and couldn’t take upgrades. MMOs are already full of very bizarre terminology*, so assuming that unique was referring to rarity would just be the player assuming consistency.

*For example, the other day I had a player who wanted me to get into melee range of a boss. So he just kept telling me to “Stack on the boss”. As a condition necro, I was already stacking bleeds onto the boss, so I had no clue he was even talking to me till he mentioned my character name.
Or the word ‘mob’. Outside of video games I most often see it used in reference to groups like the mafia. Inside video games it refers to a single NPC.

I’d expect them to use something close to the definition they used in GW1

A unique item, also known simply as a “unique” or as a “green item” for its color in the inventory, is an item considered special and difficult to obtain. Most uniques are weapons, shields, or focus items, usually named after and dropped by a specific boss. Some unique items are drops from certain non-boss foes in specific areas, or rewards for finishing a campaign.

Unique weapons and focus items have the maximum possible values for their bonuses (except the Ogre-Slaying Knife and those from Shing Jea Island and Istan). They can be customized and identified, but neither upgraded nor salvaged (except Keiran’s Bow) nor dyed (except the Straw Effigy and the Traveler’s Bo Staff). Most of them, including all dropped items, have a merchant value of 35Gold before identification, while some others have no merchant value and cannot be sold to traders.

Given the names on the Ascended rings were a lot like the names of GW1 unique, why are we wrong for expecting ANET’s definitions to be consistent ?

Ascended ring

Posted by: pdfrod.1948

pdfrod.1948

I’m glad I read this thread, because I thought for sure that unique meant the same as in GW1 (a very rare item).

Ascended ring

Posted by: kmc.7681

kmc.7681

Reallllly? kitten

That explains SOOOO much

That’s hilarious!!! Thanks for making me laugh today!

Ascended ring

Posted by: RaymondFung.2805

RaymondFung.2805

I think the term “unique” is confuse for most people. Isolate may be a better term

Ascended ring

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I think the term “unique” is confuse for most people. Isolate may be a better term

I think the real problem is that people played other games where the word “unique” was a reference to rarity level and nothing else (i.e. Diablo 2). If you look at the rarity levels in GW2 and see that there is no “unique”, then you must logically come to the conclusion that it refers to something other than rarity.