Bitterly let down by the feeble "raid"

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

There is a reason Blizzard have remained at the top wioth MMO’s. Because on first impressions, this “raid” was one of the most embarrassing and feeble attempts at a raid I have ever seen in all my years of playing MMO’s. Even Bioware has done a much better job with SWTOR raiding than this attempt.

First impressions count for a lot and my initial excitement turned to rapid disappointment when on entering, you basically start taking on the 3 mini bosses and I was thinking…is this it? Firstly, the design of the bosses is beyond subpar…3 glowy guys that look like they run in tar.. Great. We facerolled them easy and got to the final boss.

We were having a good go at it until 3 people dc’d and could not join rejoin us. Have you learnt NOTHING from fractals or dungeons? If people leave or dc, we NEED to be able to invite other people in. I don’t know if this is a bug or as intended , but either way it’s a terrible flaw. Also, as a druid, I didn’t even now whether I was making a real difference with my healing or not.. It all felt sloppy and haphazard.

It all felt so dated, slow and utterly boring. Even the Molten fractal and the Marrionette felt more like a raid than this.

I honestly don’t understand how such an amazing and talented team of artists and designers could possibly think this was good enough. That’s my honest opinion.

1st world issues but I’m extremely disappointed.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Ah yes, how dare three trashmobs (which is basically what the first three are) be easy?

You are also talking about a SINGLE boss in the FIRST wing of the first raid. They are not going to add in more or less impossible to do fights as the very first showing of a raid.

Oh, and btw: How many of the raids in Blizzard have more or less impossible first fights?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Warscythes.9307

Warscythes.9307

Those 3 are trash mobs intending to teach you mechanics.

Honestly I am just baffled at how you think those are bosses at all. Is kind of obvious to anybody with a shred of raid experience to know they are not.

Also I am pretty sure people can rejoin, haven’t had a problem yet.

(edited by Warscythes.9307)

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

So… did you attempt the boss? What did you think of the boss?

I don’t think not being able to kick players is intended. We swapped out players for others during our raid and had no problems in that area.

The first 3 trash mobs are only there to teach you mechanics; not to be challenge, but I think they should be more challenging than they are.

We had a druid in our group; and his healing was invaluable. He also survived the longest out of everyone when we had wipes. He had nothing but praise for the role he was filling.

Mitch.4781

Ah yes, how dare three trashmobs (which is basically what the first three are) be easy?

You are also talking about a SINGLE boss in the FIRST wing of the first raid. They are not going to add in more or less impossible to do fights as the very first showing of a raid.

Oh, and btw: How many of the raids in Blizzard have more or less impossible first fights?

This is a beta and the first ever GW2 Raid. First impressions count. Stop making excuses for utter mediocrity. There was no atmosphere, not sense of occasion or explanation of what it was all about.

The final boss itself is such an insipid design, I was actually gasping at how average the whole thing felt. Remember when you first saw the drama of the Marrionette or even the colossus in fractals. There is NONE of that here.

Anet themselves have already done much better work. UW, FOW, the DEEP< Several Fractals and living story instances. Not to mention world bosses like Teq or the wurm.

For the flagship “endgame” content, this simply is subpar. That is the truth. Ya’ll can dress it up and make all the excuses of the day, but personally I’m gutted. I adore the game. I really really expected better than this.

Honestly

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

I believe one of the devs said they need to update their portraits for those bosses since they are not legendary but o ly champions.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Anet themselves have already done much better work. UW, FOW, the DEEP

Yeah, right. Those instances were nothing but big slogs through trash, often just soloed by overpowered builds or autopilot with heroes.

Warscythes.9307

This is a beta and the first ever GW2 Raid. First impressions count. Stop making excuses for utter mediocrity. There was no atmosphere, not sense of occasion or explanation of what it was all about.

The final boss itself is such an insipid design, I was actually gasping at how average the whole thing felt. Remember when you first saw the drama of the Marrionette or even the colossus in fractals. There is NONE of that here.

Anet themselves have already done much better work. UW, FOW, the DEEP< Several Fractals and living story instances. Not to mention world bosses like Teq or the wurm.

For the flagship “endgame” content, this simply is subpar. That is the truth. Ya’ll can dress it up and make all the excuses of the day, but personally I’m gutted. I adore the game. I really really expected better than this.

Honestly

Are you paying attention to the map at all? They gave plenty of explanation as to why the fight is happening. Actually learn to speak to NPC and read the text if you want lore.

The fight itself is not “epic” is because it is literally the first boss of the first bloody wing. I mean if you go to any of WoW’s raid and pick the first boss, how many them are actually epic dragon demon mutants? If you start with something epic then the later bosses need to match up which is why you usually start with something small. For example we all know what the second boss is, are you telling me it doesn’t look menacing enough?

I mean the fact you mistaken trash mobs to mini bosses makes me question your raiding experience.

Mitch.4781

Those 3 are trash mobs intending to teach you mechanics.

Honestly I am just baffled at how you think those are bosses at all. Is kind of obvious to anybody with a shred of raid experience to know they are not.

Also I am pretty sure people can rejoin, haven’t had a problem yet.

Yes I know they are mini bosses kitten . I’m baffled that you’re baffled. They still suck.

Mitch.4781

I mean the fact you mistaken trash mobs to mini bosses makes me question your raiding experience.

I didn’t kitten . If you think this is good enough than whatever. But I can assure you it is beyond MEDIOCRE compared to other leading mmo’s.

It’s amazing the excuses people will make. Oh it’s the first boss.. So?? Why should it suck because it’s the first? This is end game content after 3 YEARS.

It’s not good enough. End of.

lordkrall.7241

You have called the first three trash mobs mini bosses several times in this thread. So clearly you still think they are mini bosses rather than trash mobs.

And once again: Take the very first boss in any of the WoW dungeons and compare. Are they really so much better than this? And if they are: How are they better?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Warscythes.9307

I didn’t kitten . If you think this is good enough than whatever. But I can assure you it is beyond MEDIOCRE compared to other leading mmo’s.

It’s amazing the excuses people will make. Oh it’s the first boss.. So?? Why should it suck because it’s the first? This is end game content after 3 YEARS.

My problem is that you spend the entire opening post complaining about how boring the three trash mobs are when you didn’t mention the actual encounter at all. Have you actually attempted the fight and got it down to phrase 1 at least?

FFXIV’s first current raid boss are two robots, the second one are literally waves of goblins and robots, third is a blue guy and final boss is a big robot on four legs. I would say the biggest thing that actually made the fights feel good was the kitten music.

So no, stop using other MMO for examples when is a fairly common trend. Not everything is suppose to be epic deathwing with arthas on is back.

Malthurius.6870

I still don’t think you even played the content; the only comment you’ve made on the actual boss was that he looks uninteresting. What about the mechanics of the fight? Can’t you construct some better criticism? Be more detailed.

Mitch.4781

You have called the first three trash mobs mini bosses several times in this thread. So clearly you still think they are mini bosses rather than trash mobs.

And once again: Take the very first boss in any of the WoW dungeons and compare. Are they really so much better than this? And if they are: How are they better?

Semantics. They are all u fight until you get to the last guy. So I personally labelled them as mini bosses.

In wow, there is a build up..In SWtor, there is a build up..there is atmosphere. I LOVE Verdant brink..Im excited for the expansion. My first human reaction to the raid was oh wow…this is…..so disappointing. Sorry if you don’t like that.

Mitch.4781

I still don’t think you even played the content; the only comment you’ve made on the actual boss was that he looks uninteresting. What about the mechanics of the fight? Can’t you construct some better criticism? Be more detailed.

Yes I did. And no offence “Malthurius”, but what you think of what I have accomplished is of no relevance to me. Yes I commented on the design of the boss. But it’s a mechanic that has been done SOOOO many times..especially by wow. A build up of 3 “mini bosses” ..oh wait…“trash” bosses and the final guy has all their powers. With ooh crap..if you don’t stand in the aoe circle in time u all wipe.

Is that good enough for you? It was underwhelming, predictable and felt like something that had been done literally DOZENS of times before.

Look, it’s just my first human reaction. I thought it would be better. I thought I’d be more impressed. I’ve been playing games since the C64 days. Look that up if you don’t know what it is. I adore GW2. I just thought that the raid would be more exciting than it is.

And I don’t by “oh it’s the first boss”. So what. Do you go to a restaurant and have a 3 course meal and excuse a really subpar starter in the event that the “main meal” will be better? No. You expect excellence throughout.

If you thought it was great, that;s lovely; your choice. But don’t bail on me for being disappointed.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

+1

This was not a raid. This was a joke.

Mitch.4781

+1

This was not a raid. This was a joke.

And apparently the first kill was done with 9 zerkers LMAO

Yeah..it’s “fine” guys.

Malthurius.6870

Why are you being hostile? You can’t blame me for thinking you didn’t attempt the boss when your criticism didn’t go that far.

So, what do you suggest is done differently? Do you have anything constructive to say other than “I personally dislike this”. I can’t take your opinion seriously when your arguments boil down to “This has been done before” and “This is boring”.

Maybe you could say something like: “I think the instance was uninteresting story wise. I think they should have more NPCs talking about what’s going on rather than putting the lore in NPC dialogue boxes and notes.”

or, “The boss mechanics aren’t very interesting, maybe when phase 2 starts the RBG guardians could have a new mechanic that they didn’t have before.”

Just saying that you don’t like it and it’s been done before means nothing to anyone.

(edited by Malthurius.6870)

Mitch.4781

Why are you being hostile? You can’t blame me for thinking you didn’t attempt the boss when your criticism didn’t go that far.

So, what do you suggest is done differently? Do you have anything constructive to say other than “I personally dislike this”. I can’t take your opinion seriously when your arguments boil down to “This has been done before” and “This is boring”.

Maybe you could say something like: “I think the instance was uninteresting story wise. I think they should have more NPCs talking about what’s going on rather than putting the lore in NPC dialogue boxes and notes.”

or, “The boss mechanics aren’t very interesting, maybe when phase 2 starts the RBG guardians could have a new mechanic that they didn’t have before.”

Because your reply was condescending and patronising. Well, to take your points on board, these are what I thought was subpar:

You get in. There is no cutscene or drama or build up to the boss….fair enough. No explanation as to why you are there or what the purpose is. Then the 3 mini "trash bosses’ Are all just stood there standing behind each other. There is no sense of occasion, no atmosphere, no awe. It’s literally are u ready guys? Yeah let’s go.

Then you faceroll all the 3 trash dudes..except one cannot be hit by power means and only suffers condi. So in this respect we had to go through the awkward and fumbly aspect of reequipping condi builds and weapons, made extra annoying by the fact you CANNOT save builds. And then u get to the proper boss..and ..er that’s it? He’s a combo of the 3 that went before, but you have to admit if it’s been downed in BETA, that is not a good sign. It took people a good week or two weeks I think to down the redisgned teq from memory? And that was an organised guild.

When I first saw the MArrionette, I was like ok..this is good. Doesn’t quite erase the awfulness of Scarlett but its good..it;s unique. The Guardian fight is dull. The boss itself is dull, the mechanics are dull, the environment is dull. I’m not sure what else I can say.

I HOPE the the rest of the wings have a bit more invention about them.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Mitch, did you finish it?

If so ok… we shjould make it more difficult…
If not it still is well… difficult content you couldn’t faceroll now or could you?

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Malthurius.6870

Because your reply was condescending and patronising…

Sorry; that wasn’t my intention.

Anyway; I personally think the boss’s mechanics were sound. After the first phase he get’s a massive AE attack that requires the raid the break his bar to stop him. We spent the entire time calling out the lightning in the fight, and when he split up it was fun coming up with a strategy on how to split the group to handle them; since you have to break their bars to kill them. After the first split the ground also starts lighting up to do damage, so you have to kite him around the arena while paying attention to the lightning still and handling his AE attack by breaking the bar.

There were enough mechanics going on that made the fight engaging and required people to pay attention. This is a great step in the right direction when compared to boss encounters in dungeons and fractals where stacking and burning is the only thing you really need to do. I have high hopes for the other bosses considering this was only the first boss.

My only problem with the boss is that it seems to punish players from running more defensive gear. Too much defense in the group and the timer becomes impossible to beat. Some number tuning is mainly what needs to be done in my opinion.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

My problem is that you spend the entire opening post complaining about how boring the three trash mobs are when you didn’t mention the actual encounter at all. Have you actually attempted the fight and got it down to phrase 1 at least?

FFXIV’s first current raid boss are two robots, the second one are literally waves of goblins and robots, third is a blue guy and final boss is a big robot on four legs. I would say the biggest thing that actually made the fights feel good was the kitten music.

So no, stop using other MMO for examples when is a fairly common trend. Not everything is suppose to be epic deathwing with arthas on is back.

hell, the first raid in FFXIV had: a snake (without a unique model, it was literally just a snake), a glowing beachball of doom, waves of trash with models ripped from random pulse robots in FFXIII, and a fairly weedy looking dragon (yes I know twintania would kick the crap out of you, but visually the ARENA was more impressive than she was)

in Wildstar, the first boss of Genetic Archives was a purple blob of organs

and waaaaay back in WoW the first boss of molten core was a naga that ragnaros had painted orange and glued spikes onto.

of the three, W* was the only one that was visually impressive to begin with (and even then, for boss 2 it fell back to “a guy in a squishy purple suit”), the rest just looked like upgraded trash.

Mitch.4781

Mitch, did you finish it?

If so ok… we shjould make it more difficult…
If not it still is well… difficult content you couldn’t faceroll now or could you?

No I didn’t finish it. I thought that was quite clear in my opening post. But I fail to see how that would have made it better? The most telling thing is after ONE attempt at it, I really had no impulse or desire to go in with a different group after because if found the whole thing so utterly tiresome.

That’s a problem for Anet.

lordkrall.7241

Oh, so you haven’t even finished the encounter and yet you complain about how extremely bad and easy it is?

As for the first kill: No it was not 9 zerkers. It was a bunch of zerkers, a bunch of sinisters and a cleric.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Mitch.4781

Oh, so you haven’t even finished the encounter and yet you complain about how extremely bad and easy it is?

As for the first kill: No it was not 9 zerkers. It was a bunch of zerkers, a bunch of sinisters and a cleric.

If you read the thread..we had 3 dc’s. And yes it felt extremely easy. And apparently it was 6 zerkers and 3 sinisters.. I stand corrected LOL

Whether we finished it or not is irrelevant. That is not my point. The fight itself is boring and the instance is underwhelming. “Beating” the last boss is not going to change that ONE bit.

Learn the difference……

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

7 berserker, 2 sinister, 1 cele. 9 glass cannons and 1 celestial for some reason. Probably as an experiment for aggro control.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

It is ironic that the people who’ve actually beaten the raid boss found it fun and are looking forward to more whereas the most vocal people that complain about it are either people who haven’t even bought the expansion let alone try it, or people that claim it to be boring and too easy yet haven’t even completed it once.

Posted by: Kordash.2197

Kordash.2197

It is ironic that the people who’ve actually beaten the raid boss found it fun and are looking forward to more whereas the most vocal people that complain about it are either people who haven’t even bought the expansion let alone try it, or people that claim it to be boring and too easy yet haven’t even completed it once.

So much this !

Mitch.4781

That really isn’t irony. Look it up. I have the exp. I paid 100 bucks for it. Beating it won’t make one bit of difference to whetehr the fight is “fun” or not.

Those that have probably have a shorterm feelgood about beating the first boss of the raid in BETA…

I don’t know why this isn’t sinking in. Should they have been able to beat the boss this easily? So much for challenging content lol

lordkrall.7241

Easily? Didn’t they spend basically hours and hours on getting it done? It is not like they just went in and finished it on the first try.

If it really was as easy as you make it seem, how come there only seems to be two groups that have reported clearing it? Both which were highly organized.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I do not care about the exterior if the encounter: my first games had character graphics anyways and the mechanics are fairly new to me, remember this is the easiest one… Maybe you are a raid veteran, I’m a first timer…. Even though I played computer games since the early 80’s

For me it’s about beating the game…

I just did the raid 3 times, on EU, with randoms, once getting to the split and failing(1st), once getting to the spilt and succeeding only to be killed by running out of time(3rd)… Once having a party break up due people not wanting to read and communicate(2nd)

I’m aware most people were in exotics, had no clue’s abut what was going to happen except a basic told introduction to mechanics and 2 or 3 saw the video’s on youtube… player-skill and proficiency were different, some showed balls against the wall only dps zerk mentality, some were trying to learn, some were very inexperienced/green standing way back ranging from afar. This caused little or no coherency. And thus low dps, low acces to boon strips (if any) and low acces to CC…, and this caused severe problems in one form or another…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

That really isn’t irony. Look it up. I have the exp. I paid 100 bucks for it. Beating it won’t make one bit of difference to whetehr the fight is “fun” or not.

Those that have probably have a shorterm feelgood about beating the first boss of the raid in BETA…

I don’t know why this isn’t sinking in. Should they have been able to beat the boss this easily? So much for challenging content lol

From my understanding it took them a while to get it done. One group that succeeded actually failed a couple times. And they were a well organized group on VOIP.

And you, with all that knowledge and experience, can’t beat it so it must be challenging!

I also heard they left a lot of things out of this beta raid. Like lore and some character models. So I doubt this is the finished product yet by far.

Those that have succeeded found it fun and challenging. Remember this is a beta so instead of all the anger and ranting maybe more constructive criticism would be the more productive route to take. Just maybe.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

(edited by Bandit.8279)

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

Cant beat beta content, says its too easy,

Seems legit.

l2p issue.

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.