Boring Dungeons: My Solution

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Wynne.3908

Wynne.3908

So after a couple years of running the same dungeons I found myself getting a little bored. Mostly this pertains to lower level dungeons like AC, CM, TA and others. I posted a few threads whining about getting some more dungeons, better enemy AI, build diversity etc.

For some reason Anet did not make new dungeons after reading my posts. What gives Anet?

Eventually though I came up with my own solution. This may not be the right answer for everyone, but it works for me.

I simply stopped joining groups with reqs. This small change to my game-play habits has changed everything. Here are some things I noticed:

• First off that I was having fun. I enjoy a challenge and this fits the bill.
  • I had to adapt my build to compensate for low-leveled/undergeared/inexperienced players. Mostly trait and utility changes that add a little more support.
  • My gameplay also had to adapt to meet certain situations that popped up from time to time. Bosses don’t go down as fast. Downed players are a thing. People need help skipping. Etc.
  • I was helping new players learn. This is a big one and can be very rewarding.
  • Everything is a little harder, but still totally doable.

Anyways I wanted to throw this out there as a stop-gap measure while Anet works on our new dungeons/raids: Put yourself into situations where the same old build just won’t work.

Anybody else who does this I would love to hear about it. Stories are welcome!

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Aren’t you supposed to be dead?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

yup, got bored of smooth runs started pug lyfing it a lot more

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

SPOILERS LINDY SPOILERZ!!

I 100% agree with Wynne. It’s not for everyone, but I’ve had a lot of fun taking newer players through dungeons over the years. Sometimes it’s frustrating, sometimes you get some guy who just won’t listen and causes all sorts of problems…but it is a nice way to add some challenge to the game while helping people out.

Plus there’s all the warm fuzzies when you get that group that is completely new and totally appreciative of the help. I actually screenshot and save things like the attached when ever they happen.

Totally worth it

#ForTheFuzzies

Attachments:

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Sometimes its worth it, sometimes its fun, such is pug roulette.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I enjoy a Pugadventure. I remember one where we had 2 guys ranging lupi while we melee’d, was entertaining enough that a few friends were watching one fo the guys stream. Lupi Hard mode ftw!

Posted by: Vert.5041

Vert.5041

I totally know what you mean. Today I saw an AC LFG that said they were at the burrows in p3. So I’m like sweet, free AC run…only to discover they were level 30 and 40s with one other level 80 and I’m like yup now my this makes sense. No ice bow and low dps is a bad combo for p3. However I was happily surprised, we sailed through both burrow parts without any issues and boss was a challenge but in a fun way since we’d lost grast somewhere lol.

After this I came to the realization, a lot of 80s zerk speed ads are full of c _ nts looking to be carried.

When the new players listen to advice and try to be as good as possible it is quite enjoyable to do dungeons with them.

Ammendment:

After posting I realized oh wait sometimes I’m a c _ nt who wants to be carried sometimes. I’ve come to the conclusion that when you do anything in GW2, the experience is largely influenced by the type of mood you are in. Sometimes you have an awesome team of dungeon bots that don’t talk at all and just blaze through it but it can in no way be classified as fun lol.

(edited by Vert.5041)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Pugventures are the best. Yes, you sometimes want a fast, efficient run with people who know what they’re doing, but some of the best dungeon experiences I’ve had were with people who were willing to throw together some of the wackiest combinations together and just yell “Let’s do this! LEEEROOOOOY…”

However, the price for that is that you DO sometimes get “that guy” who just keeps on messing up, who obviously has underleveled gear or not enough AR etc. I had one of those runs last night in Fractals 19, where I looked at the clock halfway into the 2nd Fractal and went, “$%^&, we’re already an hour into this??”

Basically, it’s a mixed bag. The lows are lower, but the highs are higher.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

I 100% agree with Wynne. It’s not for everyone, but I’ve had a lot of fun taking newer players through dungeons over the years. Sometimes it’s frustrating, sometimes you get some guy who just won’t listen and causes all sorts of problems…but it is a nice way to add some challenge to the game while helping people out.

Plus there’s all the warm fuzzies when you get that group that is completely new and totally appreciative of the help. I actually screenshot and save things like the attached when ever they happen.

Totally worth it

#ForTheFuzzies

Agree 100%!

I get a lot of flak from my guildees because I won’t join “good” groups anymore because I’ve run everything to death and it just isn’t fun. I get my jollies from teaching and solo/shortmanning/play what you want/naked/bad stats runs now. Met some interesting people along the way and that is far more entertaining than the quiet and efficient runs that most yearn for.

Ha ha ha. Right Danyl, I certainly know all about those gfs! Because I have one! Just like a normal person! Aren’t they just something! Ha ha ha.

Attachments:

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Totally worth it

#ForTheFuzzies

Agree 100%!

I get a lot of flak from my guildees because I won’t join “good” groups anymore because I’ve run everything to death and it just isn’t fun. I get my jollies from teaching and solo/shortmanning/play what you want/naked/bad stats runs now. Met some interesting people along the way and that is far more entertaining than the quiet and efficient runs that most yearn for.

Ha ha ha. Right Danyl, I certainly know all about those gfs! Because I have one! Just like a normal person! Aren’t they just something! Ha ha ha.

Oh my… that was quite a long time ago!! I think I remember sending that

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

The student has become the teacher :’)

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

How hard would be to implement random generated dungeons? Like diablo 3.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Posted by: MrTJpwnz.4710

MrTJpwnz.4710

Totally worth it

#ForTheFuzzies

Agree 100%!

how much did you pay him to send those mails to you? haha just joking..

I totally agree, it is fun to run with low levels or less experienced players. When running in a exp pug group there is always complains about some1 not doing his job right etc. etc. It’s just less fun with a group of pugs who think that they are exp…

IvanTheGrey.2941

Totally worth it

#ForTheFuzzies

Agree 100%!

how much did you pay him to send those mails to you? haha just joking..

I totally agree, it is fun to run with low levels or less experienced players. When running in a exp pug group there is always complains about some1 not doing his job right etc. etc. It’s just less fun with a group of pugs who think that they are exp…

Lol, I sent that message a looooong time ago.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

your joke literally wynne the internet

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

oh i get it

shame wynne was one of the least likeable characters

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

IvanTheGrey.2941

oh i get it

shame wynne was one of the least likeable characters

Really? I happen to like her in DA:O.

Wynne.3908

When you strike a salad down, we become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Wynne.3908

Ascalonian Catacombs P1.

We’ve just finished destroying the burrows, most of the party is already waiting at the door to find the scepter pieces. I’m not.

I’m waiting at Kholer’s waypoint, hoping the lvl45 Elementalist I’ve taken under my wing will notice the rest of the group spamming the waypoint in party chat. She doesn’t notice unfortunately and dies on The Stairs Of Fiery Hell. She resses at my location and charges off to find the group. I follow quietly behind. I think I know what’s going to happen next…

Sure enough she goes down to the gravelings. It’s OK though. I had a hunch this might happen and came prepared.

I deftly dodge into the mob of gravelings, it is a sea of red, and hit Obsidian Flesh and start healing her up. I chain into Mist Form and continue healing.

A few seconds later she is up. She seems shell-shocked and surprised to be alive. I quickly change to Water for an AoE heal, then to Air for AoE Swiftness. I hope she will start running soon. She does thankfully. Crisis averted!

Scepter pieces are gathered and Hodkins runs around for a bit making a fool of himself. I use the time trying to figure out how I’m going to get my little Ele friend through the graveling tunnels.

I equip my trusty staff and whisper a few Cantrips to her. I hope she has them. I vow to get her through if she does not. The party charges off while I bring up the rear.

The poor ele gets KD’d immediately, then Mistforms off down the wrong hall. I make my way to her and the start a long chain of Staff control. Gravelings are chilled and immobilized left and right. I stun a group and cast Wall of Earth. We run for our lives.

A few minutes later the boss is dead. I receive a short and simple whisper from my fellow Elementalist.

“Thank You!”

My day is made.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Want to make dungeons less boring for yourself? Get drunk and advertise in LFG for only other drunks.

I’ve done it. Runs went better than expected.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

i woudlnt suggest this in arah. I enjoy playing with people who are more casual sometimes because it breaks the boredom and because some people who go zerk take everything too seriously. Yesterday i had a delightful run in arah with some newbies who advertised for a mentor. Me and a mesmer joined both of use experienced and that path went very smoothly. It was also really fun with high spirits. So i figured might as well do it myself advertising today twice for p2 anybody. This ended up ruining my belief in inexperienced players. The first run some random thief who wasnt very good kept on taking command, which i dont really care, but he was really bad and he kept aggroing lupi and trying to pull him instead of pushing him into the wall and then dying right away. That run i left when the only other semi exp person left. Then i did it again and this time no one would dodge the grubs, one person kept dcing and i never got past lupi. Now I’m a fairly good player id say but definitely not great. I can solo lupi but not always and def not with a group. Anyways kinda hoping my next groups for diff dungeons will be better QQ

altho on the other hand ive had better runs of AC with lower leveled people who listened and weren’t ridiculous than ive had with some all zerk pugs so i guess high spirits it is. I really like this idea and ill try it out with other dungeons

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Completely agree. I generally will take the LFG that doesn’t have set requirements or is fine with taking anyone at the minimum level, because it results in runs that are more fun, even if they do tend to be a lot slower.
Also, I think it does help you in becoming a better player. While a full coordinated run with all level 80s in Ascended Berserker gear is always the exact same run, going in with a bunch of level 40s, 50s, etc in bad gear and possibly little to no experience with the dungeon will test your skills in ways you wouldn’t necessarily expect. From dealing with new people and teaching them the tricks, to protecting lower levels from going down all the time and helping them res up mid battle while not being in the corner with everyone else, to killing bosses with low party DPS and having to survive their mechanics instead of spiking them down in a matter of seconds.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

dlonie.6547

Blatant ad incoming….

Figure I should throw this out there — when I joined [ARES], we did a lot of dungeon teaching. I was very new to dungeons and found a lot of experienced players willing to teach and help me learn the paths without getting preachy, rude, or forcing me to run anything I wasn’t comfortable with. I had a lot of fun, and eventually “saw the light”, paid to retrait my AH guardian, and picked up some berserkers to replace my PVTs.

Now I’m one of our mentors, and get to teach dungeons to newer players. This thread just reminds me of my guild so much — this is the exact attitude we try to have: help people develop their skills and learn their classes, rather than shoving a particular playstyle down their throats (And just to be clear, I’m not accusing anyone of doing that, it’s just sort of where the game in general has evolved to). Let them have fun and figure it out with just some light guidance. Some folks don’t listen and get attitudes, but they usually don’t stick around long on their own Most of our mentees are very eager to soak up any advice we give. Feels good.

We still get a decent influx of newer players, but sadly, many of our mentors have left the game due to the obvious reasons (see: the last two years of instanced PvE in GW2), and I’d like to build up our dungeon core again.

So if anyone out there is patient, kind, likes to help inexperienced players, and is looking for a fun, laid-back NA guild to run dungeons with, let me know via PM or in game mail or something and I’ll send you an invite. No dongs allowed, though.

You’ll find a mixed bag of experienced meta players and brand new inexp players that are always down for a good time. Plus, we have Lilith. And now Jerus and franco. \o/

We are (were?) 100% rep, though I believe that’s been relaxed as the game’s active population has dwindled. Just a heads up that we may start enforcing that again if HoT revives the community

Check us out, we do a bit of everything; dungeons, fotm, missions, pvp, wvw (DB), open-world, mapping, farming….you name it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor/ARES-Knights-of-Ares-Dragonbrand-PvX/

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic, but this thread captures the spirit of what I’ve loved about ARES so perfectly that I couldn’t not advertise to you fine folks

dlonie.6547

While a full coordinated run with all level 80s in Ascended Berserker gear is always the exact same run, going in with a bunch of level 40s, 50s, etc in bad gear and possibly little to no experience with the dungeon will test your skills in ways you wouldn’t necessarily expect. From dealing with new people and teaching them the tricks, to protecting lower levels from going down all the time and helping them res up mid battle while not being in the corner with everyone else, to killing bosses with low party DPS and having to survive their mechanics instead of spiking them down in a matter of seconds.

This. So much this

Posted by: Swagginator.3246

Swagginator.3246

i agree and feel you man. the speedruns gets way more boring to play than teaming with beginners… i think i’ll never go TA up zerk or SE p1 etc zerk anymore and remove the zerk part when i put pt in lfg.. i’ve been spvping so much probably just because of the boring elitist speedrunning constantly.. an elitist doing dungeons with beginners all the time… sounds odd and new.. i’ll probably live my dungeon experience more fun this way.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

i agree and feel you man. the speedruns gets way more boring to play than teaming with beginners… i think i’ll never go TA up zerk or SE p1 etc zerk anymore and remove the zerk part when i put pt in lfg.. i’ve been spvping so much probably just because of the boring elitist speedrunning constantly.. an elitist doing dungeons with beginners all the time… sounds odd and new.. i’ll probably live my dungeon experience more fun this way.

You keep using the term “speedrunning” in this post, but at the same time you’re talking about advertising for parties on the LFG.

Erm, what.

Posted by: Swagginator.3246

Swagginator.3246

You keep using the term “speedrunning” in this post, but at the same time you’re talking about advertising for parties on the LFG.

Erm, what.

i’m talking about groups in LFG that says “speedrun” in them. those ppl want a boss killed under 20 sec. i don’t necessarily mean a speedrun that isn’t a pug. pugging successfully when advertising “speedrun” could actually get you 4 other elitist that know what they’re doing you know…

that wasn’t my point anyway. point is, partying with beginners and teaching them on your way to success is also fun, we should do that untill arena net decides to make challenging dungeons but fast unlike arah.

(edited by Swagginator.3246)