COF Magg Bomb Part Intended?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: rias.6872

rias.6872

Is the COF Magg bomb part design intended to be this way?

That is – eventually we have to kite anyway. I remember the devs posted wanting us to KILL all the mobs. Which is kinda impossible. Spawn rate is too fast too many. The only way is to kill smokelord plus 2-3 mobs and then kite. Which is funny is we end up kiting anyway. I remember devs did not want us to kite at all. I find this part of COF path 2 most ridiculous. Either let us kill decent amount of mobs or just let us kite totally. Don’t have ridiculous amount of mobs we can’t kill and yet must kite anyway.

Has any groups managed to totally clear the ALL mobs?

Unless you have tanky builds of guardian/mesmer/warrior … your probably have to die and run in continuously. Those groups with not much dps probably takes turn and run 3 and 2 without even trying to kill.

I though the original design was to kite the mobs in the first place. It was fun IMO. I thought it was part of the dungeon mechanics. My guild groups still clear Magg bomb part fine. But everytime I do this path, I just find it stupid that no mechanics exist and it is just blind suicide run.

At least COF path 1 have some interesting mechanics and strategy. That’s what I like about dungeon design. We have to be clever players. Bad design is when you quickly fix something without much afterthought or testing.

Xrande – Darkhaven Server
Circle of Kakis Guild
GMT +8 Asian Timezone – We are Recruiting! Weekly WvW and Dungeons!

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

You are able to kill almost all the mobs, there are many threads on this already some with videos posted. We usually kill all but the last 2 packs, sometimes we do better sometimes worse. You are right however, it does depend a lot on comp. Our Guardian/necro/war/ranger/mesmer group works pretty good but honestly the more warriors you have the easier this encounter is.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Posted by: Scyte.2801

Scyte.2801

A suggestion to correctly fix this issue would be the following:

Decrease the speed at wich the mobs spawn, and also decrease the quantity of spawns.

The mobs will not disappear when Magg is done planting the bomb, and will not proceed and will still be vulnerable before all of the foes have been killed.

Posted by: Nethelli.4023

Nethelli.4023

You are able to kill almost all the mobs, there are many threads on this already some with videos posted. We usually kill all but the last 2 packs, sometimes we do better sometimes worse. You are right however, it does depend a lot on comp. Our Guardian/necro/war/ranger/mesmer group works pretty good but honestly the more warriors you have the easier this encounter is.

The problem is that this is one of the least interesting encounters in any dungeon, and ANet has done everything in their power to make sure that it remains unskippable, frustrating, and worst of all, painfully-frickin’-long. It’s as if there was a meeting held at the ANet office with the sole intent of coming up with ways to do the exact opposite of what they talked about in their manifesto video. Frankly, a lot of things have been giving me that impression lately.

I just see CoF2 as a giant middle finger to the player base, with a cute little post-it stuck to the finger states “You MUST complete this boring crap before you’re allowed to get your tokens.”

No thanks, I’ll just stay out of CoF until things stop being terrible.

Guildmaster of Nerd Herd [NERD] (Tarnished Coast)
Nethalia Frostmane [Ranger], Lyzanxia Unsu [Engineer]
Torg Darkmaw [Thief], Zekka The Architect [Elementalist]

Posted by: Xyrm.5602

Xyrm.5602

It’s really not that hard. Here’s a video of the group I run with trying it naked (no armor pieces)… we got it to 78%, and it started to fall apart at 70%. Keep in mind, with NO armor pieces and jewelery with no toughness, this means we had ZERO armor and could get 1 shot by almost any ability, and even though our jewelry is exotic, without armor our stats were worse than someone wearing all blue gear. I’m the mesmer recording the video.

I appologize for the background sound, that’s not me but our Guardian Ekunn; he’s the one doing most of the talking and he doesn’t like push-to-talk to on skype. It wasn’t intended to be linked (hence it’s unlisted and unedited) but rather for our review to see how we could do it better.

Here’s a video of the group doing the run again without me, but with gear. Since people complained mesmers were overpowered, they did the run with a necromancer.

This is from the POV of an elementalist, which is a VERY squishy class, but you can still see it’s not that hard.

Really, the hard part is staying ahead of the respawn rate. If you pop cooldowns on the first group and have some nice AoE/Cleave damage, it’s really quite easy.

My Stealthy Thief:

http://tinyurl.com/adjw3ww

(edited by Xyrm.5602)

Posted by: rias.6872

rias.6872

With the right group composition, this is not heard. In fact deaths can be avoided. You have slightly the wrong composition, this is much harder run. My argument is that this is one encounter that involves a painfully long fight without giving room for some error.

I have a couple of different guild groups. Our most experienced group comprised of Warrior, Mesmer, Ranger, Thief and Ele (myself). We usually run this fairly easy. I ran the same dungeon with my other guild groups that is not so fully decked in Exotics and proper group composition (i.e. lack of heavies) … yeah, the result is quite painful. 3-4 tries, but we did it eventually. It is just frustrating.

The way Anet fixes it is just by doubling the timer of the fight. It isn’t smart fight anymore. A good example of a good similar fight is COF path 1 where we had to kill 4 acolytes. There are lots of mobs, but the fight seems decent enough. We can still kill quite decently without being overwhelmed. Plus we have a target. Keep killing acolytes.

Xrande – Darkhaven Server
Circle of Kakis Guild
GMT +8 Asian Timezone – We are Recruiting! Weekly WvW and Dungeons!

(edited by rias.6872)

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

This encounter is on a list of mine to rebuild. Initial changes to it were meant to slow down the speed runs being done on it while increasing the difficulty a bit since the rest of that path is a bit of a cake-walk.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

This encounter is on a list of mine to rebuild. Initial changes to it were meant to slow down the speed runs being done on it while increasing the difficulty a bit since the rest of that path is a bit of a cake-walk.

Make it so only killing mobs decreases the bar, so people can’t kite around in the room anymore to clear it?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

1. Make it even longer, so players trying to run all the time will get wiped, because they will have 2 times more mobs than now
2. Decrease mobs health / armor, so they will be easier to kill

This should force players to do it like it should be done.

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

I was trying something new when I built that event, and it just doesn’t seem to be as fun as I was hoping it would have been.
I’d have rebuilt it already, but I’m still working on my side project: A device that injects 3-4 more hours into a standard earth day.

Posted by: Lithen.3642

Lithen.3642

I was trying something new when I built that event, and it just doesn’t seem to be as fun as I was hoping it would have been.
I’d have rebuilt it already, but I’m still working on my side project: A device that injects 3-4 more hours into a standard earth day.

I’ll take two

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

I hope to see more about that secret room you have

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

I hope to see more about that secret room you have

Why, whatever SECRET room are you talking about? There are no SECRET rooms. SECRET.

:3

Posted by: gkaare.8576

gkaare.8576

I wouldn’t call this part of the dungeon a cakewalk, but it’s definitely possible to kill all the mobs. In a pug, I’ve never been able to finish this part without kiting or dying several times. With a competent group, however, we can kill everything while only breaking a very minor sweat.

The encounter probably does need some tweaking if it is supposed to be doable by pugs.

Posted by: Grizor.6543

Grizor.6543

Every time I’ve done this we just kite it, start with 2 in the room and when they are downed send the other 3 in and rotate from there by running back. Boring encounter.

Grizor – Charr Engineer – Gandara

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

Strangely enough, my group and I used to kite this part before the change, but having the battle last twice as long has encouraged us to fight until Magg completed his task. There’s very little room for error, but it can be done. I’ve always felt kiting was a pretty cheap and boring way to deal with this encounter. Nowadays, we can do this path with barely anyone getting downed, since we know what all the mobs do, when they spawn, which ones to kill first, how to stack them, and how to counter their abilities.

Posted by: Shamrocky.5036

Shamrocky.5036

I did this path for the first time last night since they changed the fight and I must say that actually having more time to kill the ads instead of kiting was much more enjoyable. My group does a lot of damage so we were able to keep up with the spawn rate. I could easily see other groups that do less damage having a harder time with this encounter.

Posted by: Milkybars.1392

Milkybars.1392

To me this is another pathetic attempt at getting something nerfed while you maintain your full set elitist status. As one one of the concepts of this game was to get rid of the holy-trinity and therefore specific needed group composition. It should be commended that people with less optimal groups have found a way to do it without exploiting and using the mechanics supplied by the game devs.

Instead of wasting time with this mechanic, which I may add is not broken I suggest focusing on things that are.

Posted by: Jaha.2840

Jaha.2840

Introduce a closing gate to entrance, locking players inside, and cut the spawn rate to half.

Current Go-To strategy is 2-2-1. That’s 1 inside the room to kite, 2 outside when he’s down, and last 2 when those 2 are down. Afterwards death loop it from WP as fast as you can.

If spawn rate is cut in half it may give time to allow a practical fight to take place, and less kiting. The mobs have high hps and cannot be dropped in time before 2nd way, then goodness here comes the 4th wave, and 5th wave. It’s pretty bad.

Posted by: VoidingNixx.7504

VoidingNixx.7504

This part is intended only for people who play together constantly and have it down to an art…. path 2 is a complete waste of time, only intended for those who spend 100g in gear to complete it (ArenaNet needs its monies).

Either that, or the Dev’s just have no clue how to design dungeons in MMO’s…. I may just go with option 2.

Get into a pickup group, and you are just screwed! Way to make this a very linear and boring experience!

Posted by: Coldkiller.3152

Coldkiller.3152

We cleared path 2 last night with 3 guildies and 2 pugs. None of us had run it before either. This part in particular was very painful though. Certainly not fun at all. Robert, in the future you need to consider “is this going to be fun?” instead of “will this slow down speed runs?”

Posted by: pawtrisha.7234

pawtrisha.7234

Just leave it like it is, only increase the rate Magg applies his bomb a bit. Or.., hey there is a tourch on the wall by the gate, maybe some way to jump over it and skip it!! Yea thats the ticket

Circadian
Guardian of Archon :: Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: pawtrisha.7234

pawtrisha.7234

Oops i spell good!! Even better on my tiny phone!

Circadian
Guardian of Archon :: Sanctum of Rall