Change how NPC's aggro works.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lord Voldemort.6189

Lord Voldemort.6189

Ok. I’m feeling sadly at a disadvantage here. I have a level 80 guardian with a slight bit over 3k armor. I did P2 at COF. When I came to the part where you defend magg while he set’s is bomb, I had the whole mob on me. Forget about the fact that there was 4 other players there. Also the description for toughness is, (to reduce incoming damage.) It don’t reduce nothing if it raises mob aggro to focus on you and only you and your downed in less then 3 seconds with no where to run and no way to block the high damage they deal in numbers. I don’t feel it’s fair that npc’s can see what players have in the way of stats and attack them as a single yet I don’t know what the npc has from the next one. I feel that npc mobs should treat a party of 5 equally and not just single out a single player based on there stats. Yes I now this is something real player would do on a big group, however player don’t have the same over powered damage and defense as npc’s do. Now before I get a lot of hater’s saying (Oh your just a noob that don’t know how to play this game) I’ll tell you all right now I don’t, at least the physics of it anyway. I only been playing maybe 6 or 7 month’s. I’m not a diehard power/pro gamer. I’m more the casual gamer that like’s a moderate challenge. I’m not someone with a mind that’s good at solving tactic’s or strategies. I’m a hack and slash player type. Anyway I’m getting off track on my own topic here. Basically I don’t feel it’s fair that npc mob’s can see your stats and focus only on 1 player when I can’t see there stats and there’s 4 other player’s there. I’m looking forward to what other’s have to say good or bad.

PS. I don’t at all find the game hard, just the dungeon’s.

(edited by Lord Voldemort.6189)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Chances are you didnt have a berserker ele in your group.
I dont even get through a 1 full dps rotation before every mob says " Ok that ele has to go."

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

3k armor is too high.

You should play warrior though. They are always focused last. Tazza, COE golems, Lupi all love to focus on my ele while ignoring every warrior in the party.

Lord Voldemort.6189

3k armor is too high.

You should play warrior though. They are always focused last. Tazza, COE golems, Lupi all love to focus on my ele while ignoring every warrior in the party.

I do have a warrior, and I love his build (full zerk). But I wanted to do a guardian build with lots of armor and vitality to be able to take lot’s of damage. Well I got a lot of damage alright, enough to kill me in less then 3 seconds. Well let me ask everyone this. For dungeon mobs. What’s the highest and safest armor and vitality I can safely go on a guardian build? any feedback from experienced guardian players would be great. Oh. and I want the build for dungeon’s mostly cause if it’s good in them then it’ll be good for the rest of the game PVE. thanks upfront for any and all input/advice.

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Full berserker and a good use of blinds and blocks is the short answer.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

3k armor is too high.

I do have a warrior, and I love his build (full zerk). But I wanted to do a guardian build with lots of armor and vitality to be able to take lot’s of damage. Well I got a lot of damage alright, enough to kill me in less then 3 seconds. Well let me ask everyone this. For dungeon mobs. What’s the highest and safest armor and vitality I can safely go on a guardian build? any feedback from experienced guardian players would be great. Oh. and I want the build for dungeon’s mostly cause if it’s good in them then it’ll be good for the rest of the game PVE. thanks upfront for any and all input/advice.

Full berserker and a good use of blinds and blocks is the short answer.

Basically what he said ^

Dungeon meta builds are wearing full zerk with DPS traits.
For guardians I mainly use GS/ sword-focus.
Your blinds are F1, GS3, Sword 2.
Blocks are F3 aegis, Focus 5, Shelter (heal), Retreat (if additional aegis needed), sword 3 (frontal projectile block only)
That with a guardian’s reflect and dodges, you should be very protected without the need of tanky stats.

It seems like you’re coming from a traditional mmorpg perspective with this, GW2 does not promote dedicated “tanking/healing” roles; so no spank n tank. Try to play it like an action game with a lot of dodging and active defenses. You will get better if you keep doing it, but if you’re really having trouble try the warrior first then branch out to using other classes.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

For that defense event in CoF p2 the best way to improve your survivability is by actually going full berserker’s build, so you will be able to kill the mobs before they start to become a threat to the group. I’ve never done that event on a guardian but i believe those mobs recharge your f1 skill when killed, so you can spam blinds while running around killing then.

You said you stood there for 3 secs and got wrecked, if you keep running around and using your gs auto atack it will be much safer because the melee mobs cant walk and atack at same type like the players, so bring a stun breaker and trait for blinds and recharge on f1 skill on each kill and you will be fine ^^

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

A d/d thief. Drop aggro like nobody’s business. Why take the dmg when you can force your party take all the hits instead!

Lord Voldemort.6189

For that defense event in CoF p2 the best way to improve your survivability is by actually going full berserker’s build, so you will be able to kill the mobs before they start to become a threat to the group. I’ve never done that event on a guardian but i believe those mobs recharge your f1 skill when killed, so you can spam blinds while running around killing then.

You said you stood there for 3 secs and got wrecked, if you keep running around and using your gs auto atack it will be much safer because the melee mobs cant walk and atack at same type like the players, so bring a stun breaker and trait for blinds and recharge on f1 skill on each kill and you will be fine ^^

No. I never said I just stood there for 3 seconds. What happened was right after the first set of enemies spawned, they all and I mean all came strait for me. Some must’ve had hammer’s cause I was knocked down, and while I was knocked down they all had me in the downed state and dead in 3 seconds. I didn’t even stand a chance. Not really fair if you ask me. I shouldn’t be single mob targeted just cause of my build. This also brings up another Hate I have for this game. kinda being forced to run a berserker build. With all the nice build you can choose from, you get sadly penalized for these other build options you can choose. I’m sure there will be a lot of people that will disagree with me on this, but I feel this game as the worst combat mechanics I ever played.

oxtred.7658

So you tried your best to be a tank with vitality and toughness and you can’t even take a bunch of trash mobs on yourself, huh? Most of those mobs attacks are aoes or cleave. Chances are, you weren’t even directly targeted ( they seem to aggro whatever is closer to them when they spawn). You died because you relied on your gear. If you died by cc, bring stablity.

DonQuack.9025

No. I never said I just stood there for 3 seconds. What happened was right after the first set of enemies spawned, they all and I mean all came strait for me. Some must’ve had hammer’s cause I was knocked down, and while I was knocked down they all had me in the downed state and dead in 3 seconds. I didn’t even stand a chance.

Simply work on your reaction time and do the content more. If you get a specific cc in an area have the counter for it (stability) or CC them before they can CC you. This isnt a matter of you running berserker or not. Its a matter of you not having the best abilities for the correct time. That “will” be fixed as you get more experience. I will repeat This isnt a matter of you running berserker or not.

What utilities/weapons were you using? Perhaps we can assist you on to the one true path?

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

A d/d thief. Drop aggro like nobody’s business. Why take the dmg when you can force your party take all the hits instead!

Everyone’s a tank when you say so, god bless the best profession.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Your best friend in PvE would be having at least 3 points Radiance which allows you spam your F1 throwing out constant blinds on enemies and pumping short amounts of might in yourself and allies alike

That room in CoFp2 is a mess anyways where everyone ends up running around, only with high dps the mobs will die so fast they don’t have time to swarm the room – doesn’t happen with pugs.
So, since everyone will be running around there looking for the assassins, your Consecrations will be mostly useless, bring shouts to that room, especially Stand your Ground. Affects mobile allies just as well as if they would stay still.

Berserker gear is difficult to survive in the beginning because you need to be able to time your Aegis and blinds correctly, but when you learn to blind them it gets much better. Shelter, Focus #5 (can be used at all times) and Renewed Focus will further increase your survivability. Even the leap from Greatsword #3 can function as a quick “oh kitten”-button to buy you a few seconds to get your skills from cooldown

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Unfortunately the kills in that area of CoF don’t refresh VoJ, only the asasins do (purposefully mispelled to avoid getting hit by a baby cat).

Learn the timing, basically as soon as that message on the screen fades they’re about to spawn, dodge them.

Also hammer is wonderful that protection will help the entire group if they fail to deal with the attacks in other ways. With that toss up a ring of warding, that’ll have them interrupting instead of landing that leap on you. I usually lay it down right as the message in the beginning is about to end.

After that initial run it’s usually a bit staggered so less instant dead but also harder to do one thing and deal with a bunch. Always try to get a hit in on the asasins if possible to refresh your VoJ, but in general you want to have everyone stack right where things spawn and lay down as much damage as possible. When I run with my normal group this part is very easy as we all lay down damage fields and spam AEs right there and things will pop up and die without being able to move half the time. When I’m doing it with a less disciplined team there are always people that move away causing things to instantly jump out of cleave range and what not which makes it a bit harder. If 4 people can be disciplined and lay the damage it’s easy… the 5th tracking down the asasins.

Also something to note, now not everyone can do this but sending one squishy with good range damage (Hi staff ele!) up the rocks on that back wall makes them completely safe and they can rain down hell from safety. Its a little sketchy as the things can’t get to you to attack but they also go invulnerable if you’re on agro so I don’t think it’s a safespot or an exploit as much as just a creative use of terrain. If you do get agro they go invuln till they pick someone else to fight and in that transition with the AE damge they’ll die So just a nice little trick for the staff Ele’s out there or maybe even a ranger if they feel the need (trying to use sword in that room is hellish anyways).

Back to Guardian though, do what I said above and I usually run Stand your ground, Hallowed Grounds, and then Purging flames is often my third but I don’t think those are as important. THe stability rotation really helps if anyone screws up and gets pounded.

Hope this helps, it can be a tough part but once you get it down and with a disciplined team it’s really easy and boring.

Lord Voldemort.6189

No. I never said I just stood there for 3 seconds. What happened was right after the first set of enemies spawned, they all and I mean all came strait for me. Some must’ve had hammer’s cause I was knocked down, and while I was knocked down they all had me in the downed state and dead in 3 seconds. I didn’t even stand a chance.

Simply work on your reaction time and do the content more. If you get a specific cc in an area have the counter for it (stability) or CC them before they can CC you. This isnt a matter of you running berserker or not. Its a matter of you not having the best abilities for the correct time. That “will” be fixed as you get more experience. I will repeat This isnt a matter of you running berserker or not.

What utilities/weapons were you using? Perhaps we can assist you on to the one true path?

Here is my current build as of this post.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fVIQNAR7fl0ApQoNCxfH8DNBARl9VEh5pVBA2rwMcDA-ThiAABJpMiLlIqpEEgnAgEmRE4iAAmSDMV/Rp9HUUHAA-e

As I don’t have the gold to redo the 6 armor piece’s. I won’t be changing them at all or anytime soon or downgrading to exotic’s. I would however be willing to change weapons and trinkets to help with the build even if the armor is the wrong stats.

If someone who’s run Guardian’s for a long time would like to slap together a build for me using the same program I did ^above^ and post it in your reply here. I would love to review it. In fact I’ll take anyone’s post with a build of current traits stats and gear. Thanks for everyone’s help/advice so fare. Though I still would like to see agro changed on NPC’s.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

If someone who’s run Guardian’s for a long time would like to slap together a build for me using the same program I did ^above^ and post it in your reply here. I would love to review it. In fact I’ll take anyone’s post with a build of current traits stats and gear. Thanks for everyone’s help/advice so fare. Though I still would like to see agro changed on NPC’s.

Watch both. Thank me later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yafg9payQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRgZYr-yIxs

(edited by Dalanor.5387)

Vikkela.7261

Since you want to be supportive, I’d say go for the 4/5/0/0/5 which traits you can modify to give a huge amount of support while doing DPS http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVMQNAR8dlsApZo9CxVI8DNR8Ql7Y8i2+BtQlBQDA-TxRBwAX3fIiSwiK/up+DKdDIM/B4JAIGA9A-e

You can check out Obals guide in the Guardian forums, it’s there between the stickies. There are many more DPS-orientated build found there as well.

edit: I was too slow again

9 Guardians later…

Lord Voldemort.6189

Watch both. Thank me later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yafg9payQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRgZYr-yIxs

Great Video’s. Very informative. Thx

Since you want to be supportive, I’d say go for the 4/5/0/0/5 which traits you can modify to give a huge amount of support while doing DPS http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVMQNAR8dlsApZo9CxVI8DNR8Ql7Y8i2+BtQlBQDA-TxRBwAX3fIiSwiK/up+DKdDIM/B4JAIGA9A-e

You can check out Obals guide in the Guardian forums, it’s there between the stickies. There are many more DPS-orientated build found there as well.

edit: I was too slow again

Nice build. I’ll see if I can do that build in ascended sometime in the future.

Lord Voldemort.6189

You know what. I stand by my fist post. This game is the biggest joke in the world. Never have I ever played a game like this, ever. I stated before. The definition of toughness in the game is to reduce incoming damage, BS. I get ever npc in the area on me and has me downed before I can even cuss the game out. I don’t know what type of gamer Anet was targeting when they made this game, but it wasn’t my type. You know. I see now why there’s no full time free trial to this game. If people really knew how hard is was, they would never buy it. I’m sitting here right now as I’m typing this thinking that very thing. I wasted a lot of my money On a piece of poop game. Anet. You do get 1 award, and that reward is for having the worst game I ever played. Thanks a lot. But you all want to know the funniest part. I’ll still play just cause I bought it and………….. Well that’s all I can say. I bought it. Might as well get my money’s worth out of it.

DonQuack.9025

It does. perhaps not as much as you want it to be.

What exactly is “hard”? Im thinking you simply lack experience as you got the meta build in less than 24hrs. You wont find it easy that quickly. go get a bottle of Kraken and enjoy your Sunday.

also what kind of groups are you running with?

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

Nice build. I’ll see if I can do that build in ascended sometime in the future.

Exotic tier gear is absolutely fine and very cheap.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

You know what. I stand by my fist post. This game is the biggest joke in the world. Never have I ever played a game like this, ever. I stated before. The definition of toughness in the game is to reduce incoming damage, BS. I get ever npc in the area on me and has me downed before I can even cuss the game out. I don’t know what type of gamer Anet was targeting when they made this game, but it wasn’t my type. You know. I see now why there’s no full time free trial to this game. If people really knew how hard is was, they would never buy it. I’m sitting here right now as I’m typing this thinking that very thing. I wasted a lot of my money On a piece of poop game. Anet. You do get 1 award, and that reward is for having the worst game I ever played. Thanks a lot. But you all want to know the funniest part. I’ll still play just cause I bought it and………….. Well that’s all I can say. I bought it. Might as well get my money’s worth out of it.

Guild wars 2 is all about active defenses, thats why meta builds include full offensive setups. Toughness scales so bad, as you said too, that it not worth spending any points in it. Learn to play simply. Maybe this site will help too.

http://gw2dungeons.net/

oxtred.7658

So, you hate this game, you find it too hard ( leeeeeel), but since you spent 35$ on it, you have to suffer the playing. Nah. The game has flaws, a lot of flaws, and the toughness isn’t one of those. The combat system is actually one of the best out there and the main reason for many players to still be around. You’re just a bad player and you refuse to learn, then accuse the game. A dozen of people offered advices for you and you just keep hitting your head against the game.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

You are way too set on the holy trinity part of the other games that you are refusing to adapt. Did you ever look at any speed dungeon videos on youtube or even simple dungeon running guides to figure out what you are doing wrong? Did you even read the skill tools and try to figure out how to use those in the first place? Because unlike you, I’ve actually adapted to GW2 combat very fast. If reading 10 skills at once is hard for you, I don’t think you play any other MMORPG at all.

Tour

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

I guess you don;t like action games then.

My advice would be try to dig up more about a game’s err.. gameplay before buying.

Also, it’s not hard you just have to learn how to mitigate damage without relying on stats. Even tough fighters dodge blows.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Vikkela.7261

Guys the rude posts won’t help change his mind about his game lol

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

The only part about NPC aggro that desperately needs changing is Varra Skylark shooting any and every single thing with an HP bar and pulling them to you.

Lord Voldemort.6189

Well everyone. At the time of that post ^^^^^ I was very, very angry at the fact that I got mauled again in the same spot (COF P2 defending magg’s while he places his bomb.) all because of my build. I really don’t feel like I have any freedom to do a build the way I want to. It seams more like there’s only 1 way to do a build and that’s it, that build or nothing. I didn’t mean all of what I said about the game, I do like the game. The parts of it that I hate are all the dungeon’s including the fractals of the mist. Everyone is right when they say I need to learn the path’s, but I shouldn’t have to be a grandmaster just to survive it. Anyway this is kind of a retraction of the above post to a point. I still feel you shouldn’t be mob rushed just because of your build. Npc’s shouldn’t be able to know what 1 player has from another player’s build. anyway thx still for the input so fare and have a nice day.