Character for Raids + Fractals

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: ElvisMcRanft.8569

ElvisMcRanft.8569

Hey guys!

I’ve been gone from GW2 for 3 years now and decided to come back with HoT.
Back then, I had my Warrior, PS, and i was lucky aswell, having a Howl drop for me and I crafted the Howler.
I have a few Ascended Items already, namely backpiece, some rings, amulet, chest.

With the 80 Boost i boosted a Revenant, Sword / Axe + Staff and I’m doing some open world stuff with him atm.

Last character is a Necro I’m playing at the moment and I’m having a blast, I really want to go Power Reaper, as I saw a “great” Guide on Metabattle.
It’s using Dagger / Warhorn + Greatsword.

Now, somehow I want to stick to my Howler, so Warrior or Necromancer.
On the other hand, Mistward Armor looks dope, so Warrior or Revenant.
Should be an obvious choice, that I go Axe / Warhorn + Greatsword Phalanx Strength Warrior, as it’s also needed in Raids and Fractals.
Sadly, it’s so kitten bland to play, it becomes very boring after a short period of time already. (Warhorn on PS is also kinda doable, as it blasts firefields, too!).

What do you guys think?
Bite the bullet and just use the Warrior, maybe make it a bit fresher with a Frostfang?
Or is a Power Reaper / S+A Revenant more than enough, if I don’t go to town pugging?

Edit: Also read a few builds / guides on Metabattle, but it seems like I’m completely lost with the classes I have available beside the Warrior.

(edited by ElvisMcRanft.8569)

Posted by: Killdozer.5731

Killdozer.5731

You could also try condition PS on the warrior for a change. It is really nice in high level fractals to have a viable ranged spec, and the rotation is different enough to feel like something new might be worth checking out!

ElvisMcRanft.8569

Well, saw that as well, but that leads to dropping my Howler..
I will, probably, get a Condi Setup once, but first, i work on my Zerker / Assassin stuff.

So, I got it right – Power Reaper & Revenant are BS if used in raids?
Not sure if i EVER go to a raid, but I don’t want to gear up a class for mostly Fracs, and when i decide one day to go raiding, I’m dropped because of my class. >_>

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

If u want to stay with howler at all costs, u might be limited in “meta builds” for raids…Necro isnt used at all atm, even “average” groups have dropped them from my experience. Warhorn on ps is good for dungeons but that’s it.

The other option is FA tempest, which is really good in some fights…still most tempest in raids use staff depending on the boss….overall ur gonna hit a wall if u wanna stick to howler at all costs.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Well, saw that as well, but that leads to dropping my Howler..
I will, probably, get a Condi Setup once, but first, i work on my Zerker / Assassin stuff.

So, I got it right – Power Reaper & Revenant are BS if used in raids?
Not sure if i EVER go to a raid, but I don’t want to gear up a class for mostly Fracs, and when i decide one day to go raiding, I’m dropped because of my class. >_>

neither ps warr nor condi warr use warhorn really tho tempests do

ElvisMcRanft.8569

I based it on a Meta build that can be found on Metabattle (I think I can’t post links here? ) it’s for Fractals and the build says, Offhand can be Warhorn as well – due to it being able to blast firefields.

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I have similarly bolt and howler both, but u don’t see me complaining when i have to drop either or both for the build im running in raids.

Not to mention the fact that i have not used howler as well as incin (which i have parked on a long-disused alt) in many months. But that’s no cause for alarm. In the end the only real difference with ascended versions of those weps is their skins. Being able to swap stats on the go is pointless for most situations, especially for a ps build.

Right now the meta offhand set for power based war is mainly used for cc and ‘panic block’ purposes. If I saw u join my group claiming to be power ps, I’d kick you right on the spot. You are bringing literally no cc with ur build as it is. For fights like vg, kc and matt, this is a huge deal breaker. And i have observed severe lack of cc stemming from incompetent ps wars or the build they are running in this circumstances. So when I’m on another class than ps, it makes me more critical of the players who do ps. This is bc cc usually takes priority (over personal dps or anything else) for fights in these cases.

Arun Kar

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

If I saw u join my group claiming to be power ps, I’d kick you right on the spot. You are bringing literally no cc with ur build as it is.

Just wow….

Power PS:

Hard CC: Head butt, Skull crack, Skull grinder, Pommel bash and Shield bash

Condition PS:

Hard CC: Head butt
Soft CC: Berserk, Flurry, Pin Down, Smoldering Arrow, Blaze Breaker

You don’t even know what you are talking about!

And btw. if your team is missing CC in almost all cases it’s definitely not or at least should not be the fault of the warrior.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

nagr.1593

Maybe you should re-read the OP before u start spouting some vitriolic nonsense.

Quote where he ever mentioned having access to those hard cc’s, as listed as power ps or even otherwise?

Oh right, he didn’t. Which means he doesn’t.

You clearly have no idea what I was even talking about – maybe you should read things more carefully!

Arun Kar

Vinceman.4572

If he plays meta power ps, you have the mentioned hard cc’s with you. You referred to the standard meta power ps, so your words are the nonsense, not mine.

Your quote:
“Right now the meta offhand set for power based war is mainly used for cc and ‘panic block’ purposes. "

nagr.1593

I referred to meta power ps build indirectly, but his definition of meta power and mine differ in truth.

Except, he does not play meta power ps. It’s clear from all his posts, in surprised u haven’t picked up on it yet

Arun Kar

Vinceman.4572

Well, he asked for, read the OP. And if you are telling that you are kicking power ps out of your group because of the lack of cc, then this is your thing and still nonsense. And there is no differentiation between “metas”. There is one ps meta and it was clear he hasn’t even tried it because he was playing a different game mode.

Either way, no group in EU will kick due to your reason. So I can only hope he is on EU or will find proper groups in NA.

(edited by Vinceman.4572)

ElvisMcRanft.8569

I play on EU, Whiteside Ridge to be exact.
Sorry, for offending you, i asked for viability of the different roles.
I know, what skills to use as a ps, the only class i have fully maxed out.
If I really want to go raiding, and People, even bad pugs, only care about “meta” i can fully pass on going there.
Or just drop the Howler, it’s not like I go to bed and cry just because I can’t use it.

I just value it very high, for all the time I spent on getting it, therefore I don’t want it to gather dust, that’s the only thing i have with it going.

And to be exactly, I asked for advice, not that I know better or have any experience at all. I just got started 2 Weeks ago after being gone for like 3 years, back then it was completely fine to go GS + Axe / Warhorn for Dung + Fracs, I only read guides now, as it’s called “Metabattle” and I saw ADVICES on that Guide, which us btw a META guide, that said, Warhorn is completely fine, at least in Fracs. Also noted that in one of my answers, as I have no experience AT ALL with raiding and appreciate any kind of help / advice people give to me, so thanks to Vinceman here.

Anyway, I’ll figure out PS on my own.
Thanks for the help, can be closed from my side.

Edit: sorry, if you feel offended now nagr, I just put a lot of work into that Howler in my rare spare time beside university, when I see it gathering dust, it’s just different for me.
And I didn’t actually mention my skills on warrior, but the Zerker tree is already maxed out. I’m running Precision (?! Iirc) 2 Banners, if there’s another warrior 1 Banner + For Great Justice most of the time, for elite I use head bash.
I have exotic Zerkers Shield, Bow (was a thing back then to create own fire fields) and Mace, my Main MH is an Ascended Axe, so i got it covered pretty good.
And my build is, beside Warhorn, EXACTLY the Meta for Fractals – as I said, i have no experience whatsoever with Raids, that’s why i asked for advices & viability.

(edited by ElvisMcRanft.8569)