Class for dungeoning

Class for dungeoning

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Forevereveralone.6385

Forevereveralone.6385

Well, I am mainly a PvE player and occasional WvW player so i am wondering what class should i play if i want to seriously dungeon. I had 80 Engi and 68 Mesmer but apparantly a lot of people are saying that those two classes are like deadweight in dungeons ( or i am just crappy at using them ) so wondering if i should just reroll into some other new classes since i found an exp scroll that raise a level of a character up to 20 in my character’s bank so figured i should reroll into a new class.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Easiest option is to roll a warrior, though I personally recommend guardian or thief.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Play what you enjoy. Only class that is seriously lacking for PvE are necros and even they have a pretty solid dps to offset the lack of party utility/support. Every other class has enough tricks up their sleeves to justify their usage in dungeons/fractals provided the player can utilise them properly.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Engi is going to be more useful in the times to come, mesmer’s gone backwards a bit but if you run meta you can still take it. If you want the ‘best’ at this very moment you’re looking at eles, guards and warriors. Ranger’s a nice little throw in for frosty, thief’s great for trash skips, blind spams, holding FGS etc. Basically anything that is running meta and that isn’t necro is fine by most people.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I must say, it also depends a lot on the dungeons you’re going to run.

For example, if I’m running Arah p1, I’d say a Mesmer who knows his stuff is far more useful than an Engineer.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Avoid joining 5kap+ zerker warguardele only groups. Those are usually very toxic. That said, every class and weapon combo is, if played right, viable for dungeons.

(edited by Ettanin.8271)

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Mesmer is useful for some speedruns trick no one wants to do in a casual run, pretty much. Engineer would be better suited imo, but you’ll face pugs not knowing your potential. It’s also a difficult class when it comes to rotations.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

For example, if I’m running Arah p1, I’d say a Mesmer who knows his stuff is far more useful than an Engineer.

Really? How do you figure? Are you thinking just in-case people wipe at tar? Engi can bring massive burning for tar, immob for tar, good running skills, immob for ooze, grenade kit for entities. Are you thinking of Lupi reflects? Guardian (for now at least) Are you thinking reflects @ Stargazer? Maybe… but at that point, it really doesn’t matter.

Engi>Mesmer unless you need a portal, especially in arah. (Sorry Sandy, ANet hates you). This is NOT saying mesmers are worthless, just that ANet hates mesmers and is nerfing them to the ground.

OP, learn your engi and you’ll be welcome by anybody that actually doesn’t need a crutch (in a portal). Vuln, fire fields, smoke fields, better than avg dps.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

OP, learn your engi and you’ll be welcome by anybody that actually doesn’t need a crutch (in a portal). Vuln, fire fields, smoke fields, better than avg dps.

There are enough people who dislike engis because they think they’re kitten… Given, those aren’t people you want to play with anyway, but random kicks for being engi are very possible.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Jiyn.3158

Jiyn.3158

There are enough people who dislike engis because they think they’re kitten… Given, those aren’t people you want to play with anyway, but random kicks for being engi are very possible.

Just direct them towards any [Club] footage, that’ll hopefully change their minds :P

Never trust a Stormcrow.

Class for dungeoning

IvanTheGrey.2941

This is true. Sorry, I don’t think about this very often. He’s right OP.

Class for dungeoning

Axelwarrior.9084

Really? How do you figure? Are you thinking just in-case people wipe at tar? Engi can bring massive burning for tar, immob for tar, good running skills, immob for ooze, grenade kit for entities. Are you thinking of Lupi reflects? Guardian (for now at least) Are you thinking reflects @ Stargazer? Maybe… but at that point, it really doesn’t matter.

Engi>Mesmer unless you need a portal, especially in arah. (Sorry Sandy, ANet hates you). This is NOT saying mesmers are worthless, just that ANet hates mesmers and is nerfing them to the ground.

I don’t care about the rest of the team composition, I’m saying that I see a Mesmer to be more valuable than an Engineer in this particular path. You’re free to disagree, of course, it’s just my perspective

Class for dungeoning

IvanTheGrey.2941

I don’t care about the rest of the team composition, I’m saying that I see a Mesmer to be more valuable than an Engineer in this particular path. You’re free to disagree, of course, it’s just my perspective

No, I understand, and I’m def. not trolling, I just want to know the pov of someone who’s got a different view than my own. Every time I’ve taught an Arah path, there’s been a mesmer somewhere, so I’m always looking for new input! I don’t have a mesmer (or want one tbh), but I love to learn more :-)

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Forevereveralone.6385

Forevereveralone.6385

Thanks for the replies. I guess i will just stick with my Engi for now, and gear her up and check out some PvE build in the forums while leveling up my 23 Thief.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

Avoid joining 5kap+ zerker warguardele only groups. Those are usually very toxic. That said, every class and weapon combo is, if played right, viable for dungeons.

lol

Class for dungeoning

IvanTheGrey.2941

I’ve just started understanding how powerful engis can be in dungeons and fractals. It’s kinda ridiculous if someone knows what they’re doing w/ an engi. Freaking OP.

Class for dungeoning

oxtred.7658

Mesmer is really not great for P1, there’s no portal trick ( at least we’re using none, maybe someone have an idea?), and the first two fights are all about burst single target damage and burst aoe damage. Arcane thievery is great for tar, send back dem 45 sec burning. Good for last boss as well, just send 2 wardens and go read a bit. Apart from that, meh, engi is better. I wouldn’t mind a mesmer obviously but imo engi brings better utilities.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Master your Eng and craft a Quip. Everybody loves a Quip spam.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Meh, engis are not op… just good. They’re totally fine in most situations and they look much stronger in a weak team. They boost the team damage a lot if you don’t ahve 25 might and vuln.
Seriously, it’s not a revelation. Engis have always been pretty good. The only class which is in a veeery bad spot is necro atm.
And even then, I’d take a necro played by a decent player over any stupid player playing another class anyday. But that’s obvious and shouldn’t be said.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

I can see how some would think mesmer would be preferable over engi from a non-dps perspective in a PUG environment. P3 is a good example. Crusher/Hunter, the reflect and 3 insta-condi cleanses + null field is helpful. Magecrusher, perma reflects and many sources of cc for defiant. Feedback is very noob friendly at lupi.

With all that said though, I’d rather bring/play with an engi.

Class for dungeoning

Axelwarrior.9084

No, I understand, and I’m def. not trolling, I just want to know the pov of someone who’s got a different view than my own. Every time I’ve taught an Arah path, there’s been a mesmer somewhere, so I’m always looking for new input! I don’t have a mesmer (or want one tbh), but I love to learn more :-)

Well, I have both an Engineer and a Mesmer that I regularly use.

As an Engineer in dungeons, I usually don’t feel very special. All I’m doing is deal out as much damage as I can, stack vulnerability and maybe stack some might or stealth if needed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m well aware that Mesmers are in a tough spot in PvE right now. However, it feels so good to actively help my team in certain situations. In Arah p1, all the eye turrets become trivialized, I can safely portal my teammates when the ooze splits, I can ensure perma-burning on the tar, as long as my team contributes. As for the final boss, I can just summon a couple of wardens and my team can just sit back and spam autoattacks.
In path 2, the mighty Alphard can’t even touch me or my team while we DPS her down.

There are many more similar examples. Truthfully, I’m sure my teammates don’t even realize half of the stuff I’m doing to help (at least in pugs).
I know that they’re not things that are worth much. I’m mainly just making life easier for my party, rather than meaningfully contribute to the completion like an Elementalist.
But, because I know all this, I always appreciate having a good Mesmer in my party

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Since the only class that’s worth getting multiple of is ele you should roll that since it diminishes the risk of overlapping. On the other hand pugs love them 4war1guard meta(still) so you will have an easier time if you want to pug. Hell, I even heard of eles getting kicked cuz they wanted a 3rd war.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

Eles are the best class for dungeons due to massive damage, support and fiery greatsword , also eles are one of the best classes in fractals so I recommend it, but all classes apart from necro have a place in dungeons, mesmers are a little weak but still viable

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Agony.3542

Agony.3542

In my opinion there are a couple of general directions you can aim for when doing dungeons.
Number 1: The “everything goes” PUG. No matter what the advertisement is, you’ll face suboptimal builds and playstyles most of the time. If your don’t really care about that, for what ever reason noone should judge you, any class and any build is fine, as long as you enjoy playing it and are confident to finish a dungeon with (which is common to the other options too, don’t get me wrong). You might need to grow a thick skin, or just have some masochistic traits in order to get along with the “kitten” that get’s thrown at you from all sides, zerkers, elitists, kittens and baddies, so be warned.
Number 2: Running dungeons with a group of people you know (rl-friends, random stranger friends, guildmates, guild friends). Unlike pugging, you’ll know with what kinds of builds, mentalities and playstyles you’ll have to deal with. According to that you can choose your prefered build. For example if you enjoy playing with pvt tanks in your group, going for a full zerker build might not be the best choice, since you’ll be more likely to die during encounters (maybe you’ll still end up doing more damage than them, but that’s not what counts). If you chose this direction you should play what suits you and your group best. If you can’t agree with what your group is doing, you may have to look for another one.
Number 3: Speedclearing for records or for gold. If aim for that direction you should really look for a good group or guild. Speedclear PUGing is the most stupid thing you can do (it’s inconsistent, and consistency is one of the most important things when it comes to scs). In that case you should have an elementalist, a warrior, a guardian and/or a thief with proper builds and consumables.
These are the general directions for me, chose whichever you think is most enjoyable and you’ll be going with and don’t be afraid to switch between them later on.
You may find yourself pending between two categories, in that case, go with the one you think you’ll be doing more of (friends wont always have time, so you might PUG on occasions/sometimes “kezual” friends ask you to join one of their runs, you shouldn’t refuse just because you’re in a speedrunning guild/etc.).

My general advice would be going with option number two. Look for like minded people, even if you want to speedrun and especially if you’re new.
A lot of high end speedrunning guilds have high expectations, so you’d be able to meet them before applying.
Other guilds may pretend to be speedrunning guilds (or casual/friendly/insertwhatyouwanthere), while in reality just practicing toxic behaviour, zerker elitism aswell as baddie elitism alike, if you know what to look out for you’ll have an easier time to distinguish between where you do and don’t want to be.

RIP game 2012-2014

(edited by Agony.3542)

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Eles are the best class for dungeons due to massive damage, support and fiery greatsword , also eles are one of the best classes in fractals so I recommend it, but all classes apart from necro have a place in dungeons, mesmers are a little weak but still viable

I cant survive on fractals ob my ele. Any tips? I only pug and I use 66002 staff build.
I rock on dungeons tho.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Class for dungeoning

oxtred.7658

Play D/F, you’ll have more survivability and you’ll be more useful ( staff is for the 2nd ele).
But ele is really squishy, don’t blame yourself too much if you die in pugs. Vigor helps, focus helps, and then you want the boss to die fast. After a bit you’ll get the hang of it and you’ll be able to drop vigor and survive more easily.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I cant survive on fractals ob my ele. Any tips? I only pug and I use 66002 staff build.
I rock on dungeons tho.

D/F. And what oxtred said of course, kitten I was slow.

Class for dungeoning

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I hate to say this, but play a heavy class and you won’t have problems with dungeons. They are just superior since they can do anything (good dps, good party-wide utility)

Class for dungeoning

Painbow.6059

I rock on dungeons tho.

Swamp-
Mossman= dagger focus 66002
Bloomhunger= dagger focus 66200 or LH or 66002 staff

Uncategorized-
Dagger focus= 66002 or 66200

Urban battlegrounds-
Staff= 66002

Molten furnace-
dagger focus= 66200
end part= 66002 staff

Snowblind-
staff= 62222

cliffside-
dagger focus for boss= 66002
scepter focus for main seal 66200 LH and swap back to dagger focus again for the arm seals

underground facility-
dagger focus= 66200
end boss 66002 if elemental and just staff on 66200 and use FGS if dredge powersuit

aetherblade-
dagger focus= 66200

trollmanova-
staff= 66002

volcanic-
dagger focus up until imbuned shaman=66200 or 66002
for imbuned shaman= 66002 staff

mai trin-
dagger focus = 66002

molten boss-
staff=66002

jade maw
staff= 66002

Class for dungeoning

Ryn.6459

I see. Ty!
The other issue that I have is that I feel bad if I dont have arcane brilliance and arcane wave for blast finishers 24/7 on my bar. And sometimes my survavility goes down because of this.

Class for dungeoning

Painbow.6059

I see. Ty!
The other issue that I have is that I feel bad if I dont have arcane brilliance and arcane wave for blast finishers 24/7 on my bar. And sometimes my survavility goes down because of this.

On mai trin use ether renewal and maybe at grawl shaman if you aren’t using staff, other than that it shouldn’t be an issue with arcane brilliance, arcane wave is on your bar pretty much 24/7 though

Also pugging high level fractals on ele is more difficult than in an organised group. If i were to pug fractals I would stay guard pretty much 24/7

Class for dungeoning

Ryn.6459

Yeah. That is what I fear, I always end up thinking that I will contribute more with my phalanx warrior