CoE: Champion Icebrood Wolf

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Champion Icebrood Wolf is the only thing in CoE I still haven’t figured out. What are the tells I should be looking for to avoid his massive damage spike? Can’t always rely on my party to help mitigate the damage, and being mesmer with about 1000 ways to evade and interrupt I want to be able to live through that encounter without relying on that protection/aegis from the party.

The reason I bring this up is I’m seeing many PUG’s actually attempting to kill him for that measly loot and if I ask to skip, they either badmouth or kick. I guess it’s finally time to figure him out for good

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

To be fair the amount of time waiting around on the NPC getting past the Champ, and rezzing her nearly the same as just killing it Though not sure on the animation for this myself.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

I havent been running CoE but from what I read, ppl bait out his stomp attack and dps later. Based on what I know, Wethospu got the cooldown for that attack to be 33secs. So if the fight last that long, the party might have to bait out the stomp attack again.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

As far as I can tell it has no animation. I think you are supposed to be kiting him around, but no one really bothers with that.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Bait out the dives with dodges then los pull into the corner and burst down. If you dont have enough dps count 33 seconds and he will do the dives again.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I always melee damage him for a few secs then dodge out and range until he hits the rest of the party with it, hop back in and res any downed or just continue dpsing if they’ve survived. Rinse and repeat as necessary. GS mesmer ftw!

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

from my experience he normally keeps clawing away at people harmlessly and then he will pause for a little bit then one shots everyone in range. So if you see it pause a little bit, just dodge. It is difficult to see though especially when you have charr warriors with twilight >_>

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Young Somalia.1706

Young Somalia.1706

GS mesmer ftw!

gs mes pls go

Guard: Driveby Brofist; Warrior: Giganticus Elitist
[LOD]

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Or the Guardian has buried him in a hell storm of fire.
He will open with his two insta-gib AoE’s in succession, so you could always let Spire get hit with both before running in and DPS’ing. As for the 33 seconds I’m not so sure, feels a lot quicker sometimes.
If you’re LoSing him into the corner then get him to aggro to you first and just chain evades/invuln/blocks until you see both go off.
I try to avoid fighting him in PuG’s because it takes ridiculously long and not worth the risk of getting insta-gibbed, why people want to spend 5 minutes running wildly around in circles getting one shotted all over the place for a measly champ box is beyond me.

GS mesmer ftw!

“I range him and let my team hold aggro, I don’t have any problems L2P”
Okay that isn’t actually directed at you, rather a certain outspoken member of the GS Mesmer community

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

(edited by Dolan.3071)

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

Wukunlin’s post seems accurate to me, the wolf just pauses and stares at the group before insta killing 2 or 3 guys.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

As for the 33 seconds I’m not so sure, feels a lot quicker sometimes.

Feelings are not recognized in this sub-forum.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I think you just hurt his feelings…. oh wait

Oceanic [LOD]

frifox.5283

Ok, did few experiments today. The champ wolf has 3 attacks:
1. Bite (low damage)
2. Leap (high damage, does 2 at once)
3. Frost Leap (high damage, does 2 at once)

There is not difference in damage dealt between Leap and Frost Leap. The only visual difference I could see is during Frost Leap he creates a frost texture on the floor during the leap. The time between Leap & Frost Leap ranged from 4s to 14s, with 90% being 4.0 – 4.5 seconds. There is not set rotation of the attacks. Sometimes he’ll do Leap first, sometimes Frost Leap. Also, there is no set amount of Bites he’ll do before next Leap/Frost Leap.

The only constant I found is during the start of the fight, he will always open with Leap or Frost Leap. You can immobilize him at start and get him to waste the attack. He will follow with random amount of Bites even if the initial Leap / Frost Leap doesn’t connect.

Next I’ll explore the cooldown of each attack to hopefully differentiate them.

(edited by frifox.5283)

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

This needs to be posted as the Official Dungeon Forum Motto.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Dolan.3071

I think you just hurt his feelings…. oh wait

I think I did. I’m sorry my bby Weth, pls take me back, I’ll treat you well and make you the happiest woman alive <3

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

As others have said, bait the frost leap out with one person and then stack and dps.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Dolan.3071

Just tested it then.
Got a bunch of different results.

He alternated which attack he opens with, sometimes waiting 5 seconds before using any, sometimes opening with them.
Sometimes he would wait 5 seconds between them, sometimes he would use one straight after the other.
The CD varied from 28-36 seconds but was consistent within that trial. E.g Ice AoE, 5 seconds later Earth, 30 seconds later Ice, 5 seconds later Earth.
On one of the trials I believe I interrupted one of his AoE’s (or perhaps just bizarre RNG) which he then cast 15 seconds later. So I’m guessing that’s what I experienced in PuG’s, someone interrupts him and he then drops it completely out of sync with his first AoE.

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

I always assumed he was bugged. He hits twice for 8k on the leap and it has no tell.

What’s up with that? Is it a bug or no?

Either way, I rarely have issues with him. We usually just DPS him hard and res anyone who is unlucky enough to be the target of it.

noice

frifox.5283

(OP here, thread necro)

Took me 8 months but now I can finally say that I’ve figured the champ out. Once you do he becomes face-roll easy:

Goal complete!

GS mesmer ftw!

gs mes pls go

gs mes are viable!

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

(OP here, thread necro)

Took me 8 months but now I can finally say that I’ve figured the champ out. Once you do he becomes face-roll easy:

Goal complete!

GS mesmer ftw!

gs mes pls go

gs mes are viable!

I don’t mean to be rude, but in this very thread you can see people who figured out the boss, 8 months ago. I’m not sure what this adds to a thread 8 months dead.

GS Mesmer is as viable as Ranger Longbow. They’re both “decent” options if you’re alone against a boss you won’t be meleeing, but they’re terrible in melee, so you either have a terrible autoattack or no buffs from your party.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

frifox.5283

I don’t like threads without closure. Having others “figure it out” and not me is not a closure.

I made this thread 8 months ago asking for tips to the boss. Now I’m back reporting that I finally got it down and even solo’d it without much problems many times. Even provided videos showing how so others may reference it for their own purposes.