CoE: The template

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Hi,
So I just completed all three paths for CoE finally and while all three paths share roughly a large amount of the same stuff, there are sublte differences and some different fights with interesting mechanics that need to be worked out. I like some of the pulls, the variety of vets, champs, and swarms of puny mobs. But also, the midboss that is different from path to path. Those are the types of mechanics that you guys should be templating in other dungeons. (Obviously mechanics from fractals of the mists is good to template off of as well).

But I thoroughly enjoyed CoE, all paths. Aside from the Alpha fights, its not just a dps spam, a dodge fest, one shot mechanics, tons and tons of bad floor(again I said aside from the alpha fights )…there are different and unique things to each of the midboss encounters.

The difference in mechanics from CoF to CoE is night and day. Even comparing CoE to AC..night and day.

Good stuff.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

yes, coe is the best. alpha is the king.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

COE is a very nice dungeon. It rewards competence and absolutely mauls you for making errors or trying to just hurrrr hundred blades since bosses like evolved husk can’t even be killed normally.

Plus all three paths are very even in difficulty (though I’d say 3 is easiest and has the risen and destroyer trash so is more profitable) unlike say, AC where p3 is a quick faceroll and p2 just demolishes uncoordinated groups.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Oh come on, Subject Alpha is more of a DPS fest than CoF. Just dodge his aoe, and you’re good to go.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

You can drop Alpha almost as fast as the Slave Driver…

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: ForGreatJustice.3452

ForGreatJustice.3452

Yet the Slave Driver can’t provide the sheer shinnanigans Alpha can. Crystal glitch for TOO MUCH dps, temporal curtain him while he’s in mid air, petrifying him while he’s in mid air, inexplicably starts to roam around after standing still.

Hands down, Alpha is just a fun guy.

colesy.8490

I wouldn’t say that. In the first fight your positioning tends to be a little off since you have to run across an open room and alpha likes moving around, the second fight he melts pretty quick but in the third fight he gets a bunch of HP from his essence.

Evolved destroyer on the other hand … he can be taken down in one try even without time warp.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Fastest Alpha burns seem to be the final encounter on Path 2. He’s usually dead before I can get off a second Fiery Rush – not having AoEs to dodge helps a lot xD

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

Aside from the Alpha fights, its not just a dps spam

umm…. what? the only non dps test part of coe is the evolved husk

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

If you have some way to escape the crystals you can solo every boss aside from the Destroyer. And even with him, you just need someone to operate the lasers, you can have it take 100 trips if you want. That’s the opposite of DPS check. DPS check means time-gated windows to do your damage otherwise there’s some sort of non-reversible condition to wipe the party or regen the boss to full. Enrage mechanics, etc.

Retired. Too many casuals.

If you have some way to escape the crystals you can solo every boss aside from the Destroyer. And even with him, you just need someone to operate the lasers, you can have it take 100 trips if you want. That’s the opposite of DPS check. DPS check means time-gated windows to do your damage otherwise there’s some sort of non-reversible condition to wipe the party or regen the boss to full. Enrage mechanics, etc.

if that was aimed at me *fest

80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]

colesy.8490

Almost every single boss in gw2 is a dps fest. You just said something as pointless as someone pointing out that guardians and warriors are heavy classes.

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

COE is a very nice dungeon. It rewards competence and absolutely mauls you for making errors or trying to just hurrrr hundred blades since bosses like evolved husk can’t even be killed normally.

Plus all three paths are very even in difficulty (though I’d say 3 is easiest and has the risen and destroyer trash so is more profitable) unlike say, AC where p3 is a quick faceroll and p2 just demolishes uncoordinated groups.

Not sure how much damage those golems do, but on the last p2 run with my warrior I finished the husk off with 100b, just saying.

Almost every single boss in gw2 is a dps fest. You just said something as pointless as someone pointing out that guardians and warriors are heavy classes to someone who thinks they’re medium classes.

fixed.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Much Faster actually … since 2 out of 3 times you only have to knock 50% of his HP’s off to get him to flee again and another 2 out of 3 of his final encounters he can be glitched in place (great coding Anet!) or just plain pulled & stacked.

So yeah … Alpha needs an overhaul to be made more interesting. People who’ve done him more than 2 dozen times are just desensitized to that reality and resisting change b/c it usually means more timesink being added… like Path2 AC …. which TBH, probably did get padded out all wrong… Ideally a well designed replacement for a DPS check is supposed to be faster or just as fast for the most coordinated & creative teams, (like CM’s Seraph Barrels) … it shouldn’t slow every one to a crawl :p

Posted by: ForGreatJustice.3452

ForGreatJustice.3452

There is an actual mechanic to Alpha 2 and 3 but we all ignore it.

For a while, my friends and I tried testing how his ice spike can stay on a ranged person throughout a fight and the ground spikes stay only on those in melee range, so that those in melee do not have to ever dodge if they stack properly i.e. not overlap their ground spike red circles. However, he swaps the ice spike randomly it seems (couldn’t figure out why he would swap, thought Spire blinding powder might have changed aggro table, but even then he would swap).

If Anet could make that work consistently, or modify the fight where the ice spike is undodgable and force one person to stay at range to be the bait for it, then the fight could be a bit more interesting (would also slow down the run, which I think Anet wants ultimately, more time sink bs). But right now, it’s a total dps race and Alpha is a punching bag.

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

I don’t think there’s much skill involved in Guardian Hammer 4 Alpha into corner, and then unleash DPS, dodging a couple times inbetween for those of us who can count 1 Mississippi.

But other than the Alpha fights the rest of the dungeon is enjoyable. Just wish I could get into a coordinated party for the Destroyer for P3 for once… Most parties I run with have at least one first timer who doesn’t want to listen and turns the laser on willy nilly.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

I don’t think there’s much skill involved in Guardian Hammer 4 Alpha into corner, and then unleash DPS, dodging a couple times inbetween for those of us who can count 1 Mississippi.

You have to count to 2, get it right.

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

Evolved destroyer on the other hand … he can be taken down in one try even without time warp.

I thought only a group of 5 Dempsey’s could do that.

[DnT]

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

You have to count to 2, get it right.

Wow, y u so pro? Can has pug w u?