Colossus Rumblus Needs A Nerf

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Sir Samsonknight.5916

Sir Samsonknight.5916

In the case that you don’t know who he is, he is the path 3 boss in Ascalon Catacombs Dungeon. There is one thing that needs to be nerfed on him and that is his screech attack. It has way to wide of a range. I would say somewhere around 280 degree range. Unless your standing right behind him or near there, it hits you can is an instant knockdown. It needs to be changed bad.

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

It’s actually a great learning boss.
If you’re a melee, get used to dodging out of – or through – the most painful attacks. It’s telegraphed and slow, there’s no reason you should eat it as a melee warrior, unless you get into a really bad lag or eat the even-slower burrow attack.
If you’re ranged, stay at 1200 range – both screams have roughly 1000 range (even the collapsing ceiling), making it safe as long as the boss doesn’t burrow at you.

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

I miss being able to fear him during that attack already.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

This. I used to teach every new necromancer to fear his collapsing roof attack.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

uhmm why?Its the best phase to DPS him.Even the scream atack.I find him way more scary when he’s down chasing and jumping people.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

uhmm why?Its the best phase to DPS him.Even the scream atack.I find him way more scary when he’s down chasing and jumping people.

It’s not like he takes extra damage in that phase. I’d say the best phase to DPS is him is in between his special attacks. To each their own. If you get hit by the collapsing roof you’re almost guaranteed to die if you can’t move in your downed state, and its quite hard for people to help you.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: omgwtflolbbl.7142

omgwtflolbbl.7142

If you’ve got 1200 range, you can sit in the back without ever having to worry about any of his attacks.

If you’re melee, just run through him when he does his cone scream. Even if you’re in a weird spot where you can’t get out of the way, you can double roll to negate most of the damage.

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

It’s not like he takes extra damage in that phase. I’d say the best phase to DPS is him is in between his special attacks. To each their own. If you get hit by the collapsing roof you’re almost guaranteed to die if you can’t move in your downed state, and its quite hard for people to help you.

Circles are easy to dodge , and when he screams you’re safe behind him.Comming from a melee perspective , when he starts moving its a nightmare.

Posted by: NekomimiMode.4296

NekomimiMode.4296

AC is already by quite some margin the easiest dungeon in the game. No, I don’t think it needs a nerf.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Honestly? This boss just takes some simple awareness and dodging. If you’re having trouble with you I urge you not to try Alpha or Lupicius.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I say make the visual effect match the effect area. It feels unpolished since you can get hit well outside of the indicated area.

Posted by: Tweek.3190

Tweek.3190

I don’t agree that it needs a nerf, but it does need a fix. Even after doing AC almost daily for a long time I can still get glitched dead by his cone attack that makes no sense.

On the first screenshot I can somewhat understand it, I’m within about 90 degrees from him on his attack.

But the second one? That is more then 180 degrees away from his face and a moderate amount of space between me and the boss.

*When editting my post I see 2 images, but in the thread I can only see 1. If you can’t see the second tell me and I will add it in a new post.

Attachments:

(edited by Tweek.3190)

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

The cone is about 270*, i’d say. The problem is that people assume it’s smaller.

Posted by: Raebfle.5914

Raebfle.5914

I can honestly say I have never died on CR in AC before. Where i’ve had to respawn. Gone down but not died.

You can generally see the animation for the shout (Not the one that makes rocks fall down, but the actual shout), which is around a 270°(ish) cone.

The main thing I find with PuGs and my own group alike, is that because the animation shows a 90° cone infront of him, it can be a little confusing and misleading when you go down and you’re outside of his cone spectrum. I think if the animation for that was changed, to show how big his actual shout radius is, that’d help a lot

I usually just double dodge to the side, just to be safe :P

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

I can count the number of times Ive been downed at rumblus due to his screech, both as melee and ranged on my one hand. He does not need a nerf. Also since its a cone attack, the further from him you are, the wider the area affected.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: Mileinnor.7125

Mileinnor.7125

270 degrees is no cone man. XD I agree changing the animation to reflect the actual area of effect would be helpful. Don’t have to nerf him.

Posted by: timecookie.8570

timecookie.8570

The cone is about 270°, i’d say. The problem is that people assume it’s smaller.

That’s the problem. The attack is what it is, and it certainly does not make this boss too difficult.

Most of the time you can simply dodge it, block it, go invul or whatever. In fact if you play it melee you will have no problem going in his back.

270 degrees is no cone man. XD I agree changing the animation to reflect the actual area of effect would be helpful. Don’t have to nerf him.

Agree with the animation, does not fit.

Basically if you have trouble with him you just need to turn on your brain and play differently:
- its different attacks follow a pattern so it’s easily anticipated.
- it has no direct attack…
- it is completely passive while channelling.

(edited by timecookie.8570)

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

We’re aware of this bug and I’ve personally already seen to its fix. He was/is indeed attacking with a 240-280 degree arch from his front, so for the time being you will have to get directly behind him to avoid being hit by the screech. This will be fixed!

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

You should give the super 270-degree scream to the HK because that’s his namesake, and because it’d be nice for the HK to not be a tank-and-spank boss. Hopefully you’ll be enhancing CR a little bit in other ways to compensate for this massive nerf, because I get the feeling he’s never going to down a decent player ever again without the super scream.

Honestly, and maybe it’s me, but AC really doesn’t need to get easier.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Lucillia.8297

Lucillia.8297

I’ve personally already seen to its fix.

Not to sound rude but whenever you fix anything it often has gets bugged in another way.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. I personally feel that everytime something has been attended to it gets some sort of new problem with it. That’s just my opinion, people may think otherwise.

(edited by Lucillia.8297)

Posted by: sachiel.8051

sachiel.8051

You guys are pretty bad at trigonometry.

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

stack on his face and murder him, roll through him when he screams….not difficult.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Posted by: Tweek.3190

Tweek.3190

We’re aware of this bug and I’ve personally already seen to its fix. He was/is indeed attacking with a 240-280 degree arch from his front, so for the time being you will have to get directly behind him to avoid being hit by the screech. This will be fixed!

Good to know you recognize it as a bug and are working on it

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Honestly, I’d really like to see such a devestating attack be kept – he’s just another ezpz boss otherwise – but the visuals should represent this to avoid confusion.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Strontius.6478

Strontius.6478

While I agree that it is counter-intuitive to have the screech cover such a wide area, I don’t think the boss should be nerfed to be easier. My guildies and I enjoy difficult PvE content. So by all means create easy story modes but keep the explorable paths challenging!

Posted by: SlimGenre.6417

SlimGenre.6417

the only nerf I think is reasonable was addressed above, the radius of the screech, and even that I would be perfectly happy if they left it alone. If something can be easily beat with a pug group, or with a guild group when some aren’t lvl 80’s yet, or even some that have never done the dungeon, then why does it need nerfed? Personally I think all the end bosses in AC are plenty easy enough.

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

The boss isn’t hard, but the breath arch is ridiculous.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Aryto.5873

Aryto.5873

I liked this mechanic.
It’s only confusing the first time you get hit off-sides by it. It’s not terribly difficult even as it is but the counter to this mechanic was taught to me by Valiona over a year ago.

I’m almost of the mind that Howling King’s should be 360deg and last just long enough to require timed double-dodge rolls or being out of range to counter.

Then again… it is the first explorable dungeon people are supposed to be doing.

·································•¤¨¨¨¤•·································
A R Y T O . S HA D E S T A L K E R
·································•¤……¤•·································

Posted by: Hieronymus.5916

Hieronymus.5916

Even with the large aoe its still doable, I would suggest making the aoe a little smaller so it cant reach behind him and adjusting the animation for its size. Hes definetly a good learning boss.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

Lol? Is it bugged? I have ran over ~100 ac runs and never really noticed it, I thought it was part of its design. Don’t think ppl are having trouble wiht him nowadays, so please fix other things before this.

Posted by: Konfuzfanten.6503

Konfuzfanten.6503

I have done AC a 100 times with experienced guildies, random/first time guildies and pugs and only had a problem with Rumblus the very first time i did it.

Its real easy:
1) everyone in melee
2) everyone dodge behind Rumblus, when he stands up on his hindlegs.
3) everyone dodge into Rumblus when he digs.
4) phat profit.

I would say that Rumblus is one of the easier bosses in game.

Commander of Blade and Quill[BaQ]
Aurora Glade <3

Posted by: Parsee Komeiji.2049

Parsee Komeiji.2049

You can stop pretending you’re all pros who never have difficulty with anything now.

Why do people on the Internet always do that…?

Posted by: Ferny.8250

Ferny.8250

I think this guy is a good boss to practice with. I did p3 ac for the first time a few days ago on my ele and I had the balls to use d/d. I liked his telegraphed attacks that I could use for dodging practice (and eating his screech). Most of all I learned how to use my cantrips as stun breaks to magically get back up after being kded.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

lol so it’s a bug? huh. i don’t find it bad. just dodge when he rears back. it takes a few times to get the hang but once you do it’s NP. i find it easier to be melee than ranged for the fight.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

Wow, I had no idea it was a bug. What about the graveling scavengers? Are their leap knockdowns bugged as well? Because I’ve seen people standing at least 300 range behind/away from them getting knocked down repeatedly and taking damage from their Eat Corpse ability

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

I actually like the fact Colossus Rumblus cone attack has such a wide arc…

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

You can stop pretending you’re all pros who never have difficulty with anything now.

Why do people on the Internet always do that…?

Cause anyone can be a kitten on the internet!

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Good to see it fixed. Non-intuitive attacks don’t make the game more fun. More narrow cone still serves about same purpose without “why I got hit”-feeling.
Also if possible do something to enemies which instantly turn after finishing their animation (silver/gold howlers, whatever their name was).

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Wait…it was a bug? Pretty sure the 3rd path boss was always wide-ranged but couldn’t project as far as the howler.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

stack on his face and murder him, roll through him when he screams….not difficult.

+1 This AND I’m a ranger, lol. Stacking on him even during the ceiling drops is pretty safe, since most of the the falling debris wont land near him.

And when you’re in melee range, easy to run around him all the time so you will always be behind him. If not double roll through him.

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

Wait…it was a bug? Pretty sure the 3rd path boss was always wide-ranged but couldn’t project as far as the howler.

It definitely is. I’m sure everyone has had the “HOW the F did I get hit by that?” at one moment. The angle and aoe hitbox doesn’t match the scream animation.

Posted by: themaster.9802

themaster.9802

The range on the attack is pretty short. Just use something ranged around 900 or more.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

The range on the attack is pretty short. Just use something ranged around 900 or more.

Yeah, I think the only thing that needs fixing is it’s animation? Like make the howl seem wider so it looks like what it actually does. I’m really surprised it’s a bug. It seemed like it was working as intended because obviously they are two different bosses. It’s nice that they have two different mechanics which can get people on the first try (“Oh man, this howl is different!”). But the distance is much shorter than the howler so intead of side dodging, just back dodge.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division