Concerned about weekly fractal reset.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Tulinor.6745

Tulinor.6745

For the hardcore the reset is good and it also helps ensure that all levels of the dungeon have people looking to play it.

My concern if for the casual/semi-hardcore. With only about 2-3 hrs per day to play and it taking 1 hour ish to do a set of 3 fractals, I won’t have the time to do much elsewhere in the game.

When you consider that people drop from the group and ruin the progress it gets really annoying to run pug groups when the time needed to progress is so tight. I would like to run the other dungeons and be able to farm on the map as well with out having to be so focused on one aspect of the game.

This will make PUGing harder as people will mainly run with their guild so that they can maximize their time. If the reset was longer I would not care so much if people dropped the group 2 sets in on the fractal. Now if they do that I feel the time crunch and get pretty frustrated. On top of that the the disconnect problem only makes the problem bigger.

Please make the reset 2 weeks starting off then reconsider after that. I understand that you are trying to balance the rewards and limit what the hardcore can accomplish but it will limit the casual player way more.

With a 2 week reset I will be able to get to a 5+ fractal level (and not feel bad repeating lower levels), run other dungeons, and farm without feeling like I am getting punished for not playing 3-5 hours per day.

I feel really bad for the people who can only play an hour or so a day and have DC problems and people dropping from the group. If they have no guild or a small guild they will see very little progress in a week and will probably skip them all together.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Fractals was put in for the grinders. I’m waiting to see if all of the better-stat stuff is made available elsewhere, or if some items will be in FotM and others elsewhere. I am not going to be able to get very deep into Fractals.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

Source on the weekly reset? I mean some dev words or update notes, not an ongoing rumour from LA.

Posted by: Tulinor.6745

Tulinor.6745

Posted by: William Fairfield.1428

William Fairfield.1428

Game Designer

There is no weekly reset of your progress. Your progress will remain saved on your character.

Posted by: jordain.8617

jordain.8617

So as i see it many people are going to be unable to play fractals of the mists if they havent already reached level 3 or 4,

i have tried to gain a party yesterday at peak time underworld server, spent 2+ hours trying for a party every group was wanting level 3-4 on the dungeon,

on the dungeon opening i have yet to complete level 1 due to party members that have disconected and were unable to join back with the group or people living mid party,

so without any reset either weekly or monthly i may has well either quit looking for a group for this dungeon which is making me loose content in a game im otherwise enjoying.

Posted by: shaktiboi.5194

shaktiboi.5194

There is no weekly reset of your progress. Your progress will remain saved on your character.

Yes! Thanks for the confirmation of this.

So: Guildwars2hub.com had it totally right, and mmorpg.com had it totally wrong.

Posted by: Tanek.5983

Tanek.5983

so without any reset either weekly or monthly i may has well either quit looking for a group for this dungeon which is making me loose content in a game im otherwise enjoying.

I have not started the dungeon either, so I understand where you are coming from. If you have a guild, my suggestion would be to find people who want to run through at your level even if they have done it before. Some people will do it to help out, others just because they think the dungeons are fun at any level.

If that does not work, I’m sure there are more out there who will be just starting. Maybe keep an eye out for (or kick off) a forum thread for players who are in the same situation.

Most important thing is to not stress out about it now. If you enjoy the game, there are still plenty of things to enjoy. I guarantee both of us will be able to do the Fractals at some point if we really want.

Posted by: RedDeath.2980

RedDeath.2980

Uhm—- no? Thats like saying no new players or new characters play the game. EVENTUALLY you’ll find a group. Heck I start about 3 hours late and found a group now I just need to find a group at my level. Its significantly harder to find a group higher level than it is lower level.

Posted by: Blackie.8762

Blackie.8762

takes hours to find ppl for lvl 8-10. so yeah you will always be able to find a grp

Posted by: Coin Flunk.3024

Coin Flunk.3024

I wish it reset weekly… Now it’s more of a gated community

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

Only gated pugging, which is bad and probably will stop happening past diffX (whenever it actually becomes hard), and people who will keep pugging past diffX will not be that much affected.
Make friends or join a guild and enjoy the new addition.

Posted by: Shados.1306

Shados.1306

Even in a guild. If nothing else its worse, because the people who are farther will keep having to go back over and over to help their friends or new members. I remember in SWTOR where to do the harder content, we kept having to go back, gear people up, then go forward. It quickly ended that we spent more time gearing people up than “progressing”. Thats why I personally had sworn off MMOs with gated content/carrots on a stick. GW2 was perfect on that front. WAS.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

And my other foot is now out the door. Just deciding if I want to close the door or not.

This, is absolute bullkitten.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Sarcazar.6148

Sarcazar.6148

Uhm—- no? Thats like saying no new players or new characters play the game. EVENTUALLY you’ll find a group. Heck I start about 3 hours late and found a group now I just need to find a group at my level. Its significantly harder to find a group higher level than it is lower level.

You completely missed that point of his post. What he’s basically saying is that without the reset, it will be very difficult to find a group at lower levels. The restrictions will be more community-based than game based.

Frankly, it’s like WoW’s raids, if you don’t do a raid once, you can’t do it at all. That’s why I hate community based restrictions.

I have a stupid handle, didn’t know what I was thinking.

Posted by: viperior.2461

viperior.2461

You completely missed that point of his post. What he’s basically saying is that without the reset, it will be very difficult to find a group at lower levels. The restrictions will be more community-based than game based.

Frankly, it’s like WoW’s raids, if you don’t do a raid once, you can’t do it at all. That’s why I hate community based restrictions.

Our guild has created a shared spreadsheet with each others’ highest difficulty levels, and we will be helping level up our lower guildmates so they can join us in the higher difficulties.

Knight Of Flowers – Caedas Guild [CDS] – Sanctum of Rall – Healing Warrior Monk
~The kind of Norn who one-shots his coffee before it even cools down.~
http://caedas.enjin.com ~ http://youtube.com/viperior

Posted by: Shamrocky.5036

Shamrocky.5036

Having to coordinate with other peoples levels to be able to play with them is quite terrible and is opposite of what GW2 is supposed to be. If a player is unable to play for any amount of time and comes back his group will have already surpassed him in level and he will be holding back the team.

Artificial barriers to content is not good for any community.

Posted by: jordain.8617

jordain.8617

Thanks thats exactly my point i quit WoW for this very reason some 2 years ago it got very elite and that i mean if your face didnt fit or you werent up to an officers spec with in the guild you was in you didnt get the chance to raid, im in a guild in gw2 now and i see the same happening again maybe im in the wrong guild i dunno but this new instance is very community based and i still stand by my ground and say this needs to be changed, to have a reset at least on a weekly or monthly base either that be thro achivments entrys or just a plain reset as is wvwvw,

Im not the best at placing my fears ingame by writing here, its just my fears that if more of this type of fractal instance comes in future updates i see this game becoming somthing that should be casual fun into an elitest numbers game,

i am on underworld server EU if any want to help or offer me a place in your guild that centralizes fun on a mass pve environment with fun times and help from all to get to a reasonable lvl within this instance.

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

That sucks. I thought it reset weekly.

I’ve only done level 1 though and I thought the drops were pretty good. 3 rares and an exotic, better than what I make on average in dungeon exp mode. What I’m hoping now is those people at levels 10+ will do a cost / benefit calculation and realize that speed clearing lower difficulties is better returns than continuously wiping on Inferno mode. Maybe then casual players on lower difficulty will be sought out instead of discriminated against.

Hah I can see it now . . .LFG Fractals lvl 1-3 ONLY . . . elites not wanted

Posted by: Ephex.9164

Ephex.9164

That sucks. I thought it reset weekly.

I’ve only done level 1 though and I thought the drops were pretty good. 3 rares and an exotic, better than what I make on average in dungeon exp mode. What I’m hoping now is those people at levels 10+ will do a cost / benefit calculation and realize that speed clearing lower difficulties is better returns than continuously wiping on Inferno mode. Maybe then casual players on lower difficulty will be sought out instead of discriminated against.

Hah I can see it now . . .LFG Fractals lvl 1-3 ONLY . . . elites not wanted

Actually, you get Ascended trinkets at levels 10+. You have no chance to get Ascended rings until then.

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

I meant if people were chasing fractal tokens or trash rares for salvaging. Looking at the amount of tokens needed for dungeon rewards, I highly doubt they were meant to be obtained by running every difficulty level only once, I mean that’s 1,350 tokens for the fractal capacitor, the level difficulty for that would be insane.

So if Joe Hardcore is already at level 15+, if he thought about it, he could probably go back and do a full level 1 clear easy, say in an hour or so? And earn tokens at a greater rate of efficiency than trying to clear level 15+. Anyway that’s what I was getting at.

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

I’ve had relatives staying this weekend so I only actually managed to get on Friday for the opening event. How much of a problem is it going to be finding a group for level 1? Reading these forums it looks like it could be a total PITA, which would be very very disappointing.

Posted by: Novalice.5239

Novalice.5239

There are still many players who are searching for groups at level 1. I think for the first week there will be many players who simply havn’t had time to get into FotM too deeply due to the holidays. Then there is the other matter if I understood correctly that fractal level is determined by ‘Character’ not ‘Account’. So anyone with Alts will have to start at level 1 again.

Novalice Savril (Novalice.5239)
Exemplar of the Melcindomien
www.Melc.Guildportal.com

Posted by: Iridiana.9078

Iridiana.9078

I think this dungeon doesn’t promote cooperation within players. Like someone already said I can’t imagine how much time will it takes to gearing up all the guild members and friends. You want to progress but you will have to step back and help other players to progress too. Finally you’ll get stuck, or you’ll play with grinding-PUGs… Or you are really lucky and keep playing through levels with the same 5-people team, which it’s a way of discrimination cause I want to feel free to enjoy all the content with all my friends…
Trust me, I love this dungeon, every fractal is amazing, I think you worked really hard on this but… wasn’t Guild Wars philosopy to promote aggregation?

Iridiana – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Piken Square
Leader of Dark Shines [Dsh]

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

There will always be new people coming in to fractals. My guild has already said they will help run people through the lower levels (we are such an awesome guild!). If every guild takes this attitude, there will be no problems with people being left out. Unless of course, you aren’t in a guild. There really isn’t any reason to not be in a guild, though.

Posted by: Amonde Daneren.2380

Amonde Daneren.2380

Problem is, it’s never enough to run/help people through ONCE. If you then play more separately, say 3-4 levels, you then have to get everyone else back to speed again. And again. And again.

Imagine what Dungeons would be like if: to get the daily tokens you had to do Path 1; and ONLY THEN you could do Path 2; and only then you could do Path 3.

Pugging would be a NIGHTMARE. You would be better off just doing all 3 runs with exactly the same people.

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

It’s amazing how this game has changed after only 3 months of being out.

I shudder to think how much more they can ruin it.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

We do fractal runs and go back with lower level guildies all the time. This is an MMO, play with other people. There are plenty of people around without the mentality of being uber elite. We did MK with pick up people the whole time, some were below level 20. It’s not the games fault, it’s actually the history of MMO’s that have instilled this elitist behavior over the years. Nothing about GW2 requires much extra, levels 1-5 for sure are pretty easy once you get the mechanics down and really quite a few runs we did with much lower levels than even 60. I’m sorry to see so many people with problems, but this game promotes more team play and community more so than most MMO’s i’ve ever played.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: EntDS.4687

EntDS.4687

I like that there is going to be an ever increasing challenge, and that challenge will only be made head on with people you work well with and trust. Also not a bad thing.

Besides, I have found myself not doing my max level whenever there aren’t the people on to do it. The fractals are fun no matter what, the loot is the same up to level 10, and helping people through the lower levels is rewarding. I’ve met other people who have done the same, who are even higher than me.

There are going to be people who refuse to do anything but their max level, but thats going to get harder and harder as time goes on, to just ignore everything else. You have to help your community, and your server, and by doing so you vastly expand the player pool to choose from.

I’m no where near a casual player, but I don’t feel the need to have all three of my slots Ascended right now, I dont need to have it NOW or TOMORROW, or even next week. Each dungeon run I progress a little more in the direction I want, and I meet new people and have a great experience through it.

Maybe the players who are worried about being left behind could solve their own problem by banding together.