Condi War or Zerker Necro?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

Hey everyone, I’m currently in the process of trying to decide what I want my next ascended set to be. I typically main a warrior, and have a full set of Berserker Ascended right now for fractals, but I’m strongly considering gearing up my necro and will likely roll Berserker for him as well after the recent nerf that crippled condi necro.

However, it’s just occurred to me that I could also build an ascended condi set for my warrior instead to make higher level fractals a little easier. The downside to this (and another deterrent to condi necro) is that I don’t have any real access to Viper/Sinister trinkets without farming an exorbitant amount of bloodstones, so that’s a minor setback for a condi build.

As for the usage, it will be primarily fractals as I don’t raid and really have no intention of doing so, and maybe a little bit of WvW.

Any suggestions?

One foot out the door, yet again.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

…but I’m strongly considering gearing up my necro and will likely roll Berserker for him as well after the recent nerf that crippled condi necro.

I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the “meta” a little bit more. I though this was common knowledge, but apparently not, so:
Despite the nerfs to condi necro, it is still one of the most common builds in fractals and is way more common than power necro in all gamemodes. Power necro brings literally nothing to the table. Everything it does, other classes do it better. Condi necro, even though it has lower DPS than some other condi classes, still offers some nice utility like epi bounce, carrying noobs with transfusion, pulling condis from allies (not something you normally do, but it is desirable at some encounters, especially in raids) and some minor party buffing. It is also extremely relaxed to play (as long as you can dodge at least once in a while) and very much sought after by pugs because they’re familiar with it. Condi necro is still a very strong choice, much better than zerk necro anyway.

Condi war is pretty good too. I used to play zerk war in fractals before, but 99% of the time, when you pug, any melee class is literally unplayable, because people have no idea what social awkwardness does, druids cannot heal properly and bar breaking is extremely slow (even though you do 80% yourself). So condi war is pretty much a godsend, because you’re no longer relying on your team in any way, you can pull off strong DPS, buff others and take care of nearly any job in the team.

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

My pure valk necro brings equally as much to the table that a condi necro if you swap utilities as needed. Condi necro literally only brings damage.

Transfusion is better on a power necro because of shroud based builds, and anything else you just mentioned can be done on power necro as well without hurting the build at all.

I suggest you actually play a necro before talking about the class, because you clearly dont understand WHY people even play condi necro. It’s not the utility, its the damage. The utility for necro can be used on condi OR power. And arguably power has more utility due to GS nightfall and pull. They play it because its brain dead, while power necro requires a little more activity, because the build certainly will not carry you.

Transfusion is in blood magic, both power and condi can run blood magic, not the other way around.

As for epi, power necro generally has more AOE, which is even on terms with epi unless it’s being bounced. Power necro DPS pulls ahead once the mobs are below 50%, and even more so if again, epi is not being bounced. But for a single necro? No, it’s not more utility, it’s actually about even.

(edited by FrostDraco.8306)

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

My pure valk necro brings equally as much to the table that a condi necro if you swap utilities as needed. Condi necro literally only brings damage.

Transfusion is better on a power necro because of shroud based builds, and anything else you just mentioned can be done on power necro as well without hurting the build at all.

I suggest you actually play a necro before talking about the class, because you clearly dont understand WHY people even play condi necro. It’s not the utility, its the damage. The utility for necro can be used on condi OR power. And arguably power has more utility due to GS nightfall and pull. They play it because its brain dead, while power necro requires a little more activity, because the build certainly will not carry you.

Transfusion is in blood magic, both power and condi can run blood magic, not the other way around.

As for epi, power necro generally has more AOE, which is even on terms with epi unless it’s being bounced. Power necro DPS pulls ahead once the mobs are below 50%, and even more so if again, epi is not being bounced. But for a single necro? No, it’s not more utility, it’s actually about even.

Please post some dps numbers to back up your claim that valk necro can match viper necro dps, thx!

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: DeoDose.4237

DeoDose.4237

Please post some dps numbers to back up your claim that valk necro can match viper necro dps, thx!

Everyone knows that Power Necro Has more dps than Condi. Utility is the problem here

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Of the two builds you listed, I would say condi warrior would be more helpful. I don’t like melee builds in fractals, in particular for pugs. In my opinion there is just too much emphasis on position, and as a result I think an average player will do better with ranged builds.

Examples of this problem:
-poison trails, sky hammer cannon, mai trin cannons – all singularities
-reactor boss (no floor/more time just trying to get into position)
-aetherblade boss (laser walls between you and golems)
-chaos boss

Also regarding the nerf to minions, this barely affects condi necro at all in fractals. Rarely (in my experience) did you build up an army of minions anywhere except the longest bosses. However, it certainly hurt necro in raids.

FrostDraco.8306

All you had to do was google, literally the first one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sXFsow6rM

And this is running blood magic, which would come with the transfusion.

FrostDraco.8306

Of the two builds you listed, I would say condi warrior would be more helpful. I don’t like melee builds in fractals, in particular for pugs. In my opinion there is just too much emphasis on position, and as a result I think an average player will do better with ranged builds.

Examples of this problem:
-poison trails, sky hammer cannon, mai trin cannons – all singularities
-reactor boss (no floor/more time just trying to get into position)
-aetherblade boss (laser walls between you and golems)
-chaos boss

Also regarding the nerf to minions, this barely affects condi necro at all in fractals. Rarely (in my experience) did you build up an army of minions anywhere except the longest bosses. However, it certainly hurt necro in raids.

I agree with this. When you play melee in fractals now, you really have to be more attentive and know how to survive, especially due to poison trails, flux bomb, and social awkwardness. All of which can wreck you if you slip up.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

All you had to do was google, literally the first one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sXFsow6rM

Oh, interesting.
Thanks for the link

So i suspect you could drop the wells for other utility without it hurting too much there considering well cd is quite high..

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Both power and condition Necromancer run Blood Magic. Condition Necromancer gets more utility, though, because it doesn’t lose any DPS by taking Transfusion, whereas power Necromancer loses a lot by missing Vampiric Rituals. Condition Necromancer also technically has more utility over power Necromancer in that it takes advantage of utilities that both boost its damage and provide great utility (Plague Signet / Epidemic / CPC / BiP). Power Necromancer offers very little meaningful utility or support.

27k unrealistic compared to 29k D/W Ele realistic really speaks to how bad power Necromancer is.

No, it comes with Vampiric Rituals and loses Transfusion, as the former is incredibly important to power Necromancer DPS.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

If you aren’t running with a hand picked group prob gonna say go with Power necro. Warriors honestly have a difficult time staying alive in t4s without support healing or taking defense for Adrenal health. Compared to necros where you’re naturally better at staying alive in pve settings. Also provide a great deal of aoe blinds for easy peasy trash pulls and nice cc lot of the utility is interchangeable. Lastly you have serious personal might stacking which is a very big deal if you aren’t running a group knowing you’re going to be might capped.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

You won’t find a group willing to bring a Power Necro for a DPS role over the counterparts. Condi Necro will be taken regardless of the lower DPS to Power because it can maintain an adequate number for damage and infinitely more utility than the Power Variant.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Hurts to see how wrong you are with basically everything.

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

From the sound of it, the pecking order seems to be condi warrior > condi necro > power necro in regards to organized groups. However, I pretty much only put fractals, so I don’t typically have a support that can babysit my warrior (even now in t3 fractals I’ll occasionally struggle to survive as a power warrior, though I’m sure part of that is just due to how much melee hate exists in fractals now). Obviously power necro would suffer similarly since it is also melee oriented, although it has marginally better survivability thanks to reaper.

Condi is understandably far easier to survive with as it’s easy to avoid boss melee cleave and the more predictable ranged attacks.

I figured I’d end up going condi one way or another, I just know how much easier it is to gear for berserker since I don’t have to raid or grind bloodstone fen for days and days.

Does anyone have any input on condi warrior versus condi necro? Nike suggested warrior as every group needs a warrior, but not necessarily a necro, so purely from team benefit, warrior is better. Beyond that, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get full viper trinkets or a suitable alternative while I slowly farm them from Bloodstone Fen?

I should note that I don’t have access to most of LS2 and have already gotten the sinister pieces (neck and one accessory) from the episodes I do have, and I know I can get a viper amulet from the HoT story but it requires a 5man group and I don’t have friends. Is rabid, carrion or rampagers okay to sub in while I farm?

One foot out the door, yet again.

FrostDraco.8306

. How about you formulate an argument rather than piggy backing off the points of others? Are you just here to throw salt?

>Transfusion is in blood magic, fact
>Power necro can take blood magic, just like condi can, fact

The only thing you can argue i was “Basically wrong on everything” about was transfusion not hurting the build.

So again, your point? Oh wait you don’t have one.

@Rising dusk: Power necro can take most of those utilities given the situation, they would hurt the dps of course, but they can still be taken. However what can’t be taken on most condi necro builds is a greatsword for the pull, since you will be locked into the weapon during combat. To clarify, when i said utility i didnt purely mean 7-8, i meant crowd control in general.

Taa taa

FrostDraco.8306

From the sound of it, the pecking order seems to be condi warrior > condi necro > power necro in regards to organized groups. However, I pretty much only put fractals, so I don’t typically have a support that can babysit my warrior (even now in t3 fractals I’ll occasionally struggle to survive as a power warrior, though I’m sure part of that is just due to how much melee hate exists in fractals now). Obviously power necro would suffer similarly since it is also melee oriented, although it has marginally better survivability thanks to reaper.

Condi is understandably far easier to survive with as it’s easy to avoid boss melee cleave and the more predictable ranged attacks.

I figured I’d end up going condi one way or another, I just know how much easier it is to gear for berserker since I don’t have to raid or grind bloodstone fen for days and days.

Does anyone have any input on condi warrior versus condi necro? Nike suggested warrior as every group needs a warrior, but not necessarily a necro, so purely from team benefit, warrior is better. Beyond that, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get full viper trinkets or a suitable alternative while I slowly farm them from Bloodstone Fen?

I should note that I don’t have access to most of LS2 and have already gotten the sinister pieces (neck and one accessory) from the episodes I do have, and I know I can get a viper amulet from the HoT story but it requires a 5man group and I don’t have friends. Is rabid, carrion or rampagers okay to sub in while I farm?

You can get easy trinkets from ranked pvp, and for vipers, the difference between exotic and asc is smaller than 3 stat sets. I’d just get the exotic recipes and craft those if you have jewel crafting.

As for warrior vs necro. Both are common in fractals and raids. However warrior requires a certain amount of finesse to play, compared to necro. Especially when you run banners over defensive utilities. It’s all about whats gonna be comfortable for you to run. Purely for team benefit, warrior is miles ahead, so if OP is concerned with that, then that would be the best choice.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

As far as getting vipers trinkets, to the best of my knowledge, you should only really use bloodstone fen for amulets. The rest can be gotten much faster in the other 2 maps. Here is the easiest way I believe:

Amulet – blood ruby pendant – 125 blood ruby
Accessory 1 – sparking petrified wood – 150 petrified wood
Accessory 2 – Black Ice Earring – 300 fresh winterberry
Ring 1 – Black Ice Band – 200 fresh winterberry
Backpack – Icebrood Horn Backpack – 400 winterberry

Notice there is no ring 2. That is because a min/maxed condi ps runs with 1 sinister ring (Build here: http://qtfy.enjin.com/warrior#Gear2) . You can easily get Verata’s seared ring or plague signet (ring) from living story season 2.

The other currencies, berries and wood, are very easy to get if you have multiple characters (just geared in exotices or even rares should be fine). As for 125 blood rubies, you can do the pvp reward track with pvp dailies in a farm server and earn 50 rubies from the final chest for about 10 minutes of effort every day for 2 weeks roughly.

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Does anyone have any input on condi warrior versus condi necro? Nike suggested warrior as every group needs a warrior, but not necessarily a necro, so purely from team benefit, warrior is better.

Necro can do some fancy stuff with condition bouncing/transfers and good solo sustain. If you expect your group to die, necro is quite often the better choice.

Warrior buffs a group to make up for personal damage losses. If you expect your group to survive(and not flee to the 4 corners of the circular room) warrior is the better choice.

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Warriors honestly have a difficult time staying alive in t4s without support healing or taking defense for Adrenal health.

Don’t listen to this person.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Lalainnia.3598

Warriors honestly have a difficult time staying alive in t4s without support healing or taking defense for Adrenal health.

Really please do explain how warriors have a great time sustaining in T4 fractals without support.

Sykper.6583

Really please do explain how warriors have a great time sustaining in T4 fractals without support.

For general purposes Healing Signet is all you need. Top level Warriors will use Blood Reckoning for the extra DPS and simply not leave themselves vulnerable to taking any big hits. But for pug purposes, Healing Signet is fine in either Condi or Power Warriors for T4s.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Two options: don’t get hit, or play with a druid. If you want to argue that a necro is better at not getting hit because they can range DPS, so can a condi warrior and a condi warrior will bring more team buffing while doing it.

I’ve been seeing this “warriors should use Defense in fractals and raids” cancer a lot lately. It really makes me said to see that Druids have lowered the skill cap of the game so badly that when faced with playing without a druid people have to play completely trash builds to compensate for it.

Somehow we managed to do original fractal 80s back when everything one shot you in full berserker builds without gimping our comps and no healer. I think that people can easily play faceroll fractals now without a healer if they take the time to learn to play.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Lalainnia.3598

Two options: don’t get hit, or play with a druid. If you want to argue that a necro is better at not getting hit because they can range DPS, so can a condi warrior and a condi warrior will bring more team buffing while doing it.

I’ve been seeing this “warriors should use Defense in fractals and raids” cancer a lot lately. It really makes me said to see that Druids have lowered the skill cap of the game so badly that when faced with playing without a druid people have to play completely trash builds to compensate for it.

Somehow we managed to do original fractal 80s back when everything one shot you in full berserker builds without gimping our comps and no healer. I think that people can easily play faceroll fractals now without a healer if they take the time to learn to play.

You should have prob read my entire post, the don’t get hit part is perfectly viable but unlikely with a random pick up group and the instabilities especially social awkwardness along with always having a druid or some form of support. Secondly I never even mentioned anything about condi necro because the op was asking between condi warrior and power necro. The main reason I mention using defense or having some sort of support is that your every day non hand picked fractal group is hardly if ever optimized and if you end up with a lot of overlapping and ppl placing general bad stuff in melee range defense is a nice option to literally stay alive though others poor play.

Sykper.6583

You should have prob read my entire post, the don’t get hit part is perfectly viable but unlikely with a random pick up group and the instabilities especially social awkwardness along with always having a druid or some form of support. Secondly I never even mentioned anything about condi necro because the op was asking between condi warrior and power necro. The main reason I mention using defense or having some sort of support is that your every day non hand picked fractal group is hardly if ever optimized and if you end up with a lot of overlapping and ppl placing general bad stuff in melee range defense is a nice option to literally stay alive though others poor play.

Even if you have some form of weird comp with no group support, maybe 4 thieves and yourself as the one Warrior, a Warrior is perfectly capable of sustaining themselves, especially Condition Warrior which is extremely capable of flexing in and out of melee range. Running Defense on a Power Warrior let alone a Condition Warrior means you gives up some important traitline like Tactics, Discipline, or Strength, which are massive hits to you and/or your groups DPS.

The general rule of thumb is that the longer mobs stay alive in fractals, the more chances someone is going to mess up and get downed. This has not changed since the Dungeon Meta and only certain key roles in Raids does this paradigm change slightly. The only mechanic I can consider from an instability that will mess up your group would be the Bomb and if someone refuses to run outside the melee range of the boss and drops it multiple times during the encounter, that’s not on you to change your build to accommodate their poor play, it is on them to listen/get better or get kicked.

Never make things worse for the group when people are playing poorly.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

FrostDraco.8306

Considering you can take sword or shield on condi warrior for an extra block, you shouldn’t have too much of an issue not dying. It took me a while to get used to warrior (coming from power necro), but now I can finish most of my raids, and dungeons, on her without ever going down. Just takes practice and knowing when you should drop an offensive utility for a defensive one.

Side note, you can run the new winterberry food that gives might on crit and lifesteal. Honestly I think lifesteal food is highly underrated, but thats just me.

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

. How about you formulate an argument rather than piggy backing off the points of others? Are you just here to throw salt?

>Transfusion is in blood magic, fact
>Power necro can take blood magic, just like condi can, fact

The only thing you can argue i was “Basically wrong on everything” about was transfusion not hurting the build.

So again, your point? Oh wait you don’t have one.

@Rising dusk: Power necro can take most of those utilities given the situation, they would hurt the dps of course, but they can still be taken. However what can’t be taken on most condi necro builds is a greatsword for the pull, since you will be locked into the weapon during combat. To clarify, when i said utility i didnt purely mean 7-8, i meant crowd control in general.

Taa taa

At the same time, if you as a power Necro want to provide Condition cleansing to your party via plague signet, or block missiles with Corrosive Poison Cloud for the final battle of Volcanic or Uncategorized, you’re probably going to have to spend time without GS either with OH dagger or staff to deal with the self-inflicted conditions or give yourself a lot of headache in the process.

I’ve played both builds, for both normal play and Master tier fractals, and while I do find Power Reaper to be more fun and perfectly suitable for nearly all the content in the game, playing Condition Necro, I feel like I simply have more… options with how to approach an encounter, mainly because I don’t need vampiric rituals or a 2H weapon, and I can easily cleanse and transfer incoming conditions between Dagger 4, Staff 4* and if it really gets hairy, Death magic. Power Necro does it’s best when my party can mostly take care of themselves (or have a Druid to do that for them) and only need from me for damage, vuln, some nice CC burst and life siphon, and maybe some boon strip with Well of Corruption and Axe 3.

*yes, I use staff. I have a Staff of the Sunless skin, and it’s as precious to me as a legendary. Plus it’s another source of chill and condi transfer. If I need more breakbar power, I can go S/Wh as my swap. Not quite GS 5, but close enough.

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

condi PS

it’s PS lol, and you’ll get accepted more into raids if you want to do those in the future if they don’t nerf it. who needs that trash 4N+1R meta anyway

Far Shiverpeaks