Content skipping

Content skipping

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: RedRumOnE.9562

RedRumOnE.9562

I would appreciate it if you guys made the game, dungeons specifically to where content could not be skipped in any way. I understand different paths and the path you choose should be the path you do but the ability to get out of a mobs aggro range is really annoying seeing as many people abuse this.

Content skipping

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Just join a party that doesn’t skip instead of forcing everyone to do ‘content’. Right now there’s nobody forcing you to skip stuff, if you feel like it then don’t skip!

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Content skipping

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

“Doing content” right now is highly inefficient from every point of view.

Content skipping

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Oh boy, yet another one of these threads.

Here I go.
Champion Destroyer Crab
Champion Giant
Inquest Powersuit event
Sir James Russell the Gorilla
The dog in CM2 (questionable - I always killed him for no good reason)
Nightmare knights and puppies
Royal Oozes
Endless waves of Inquest
Magg's lava room trash
That’s enough for now. Don’t skip these guys.

(edited by Iehova.9518)

Content skipping

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

I would appreciate it if you guys made the game, dungeons specifically to where content could not be skipped in any way. I understand different paths and the path you choose should be the path you do but the ability to get out of a mobs aggro range is really annoying seeing as many people abuse this.

sadly this won’t happend, the exploiters can barely do the dungeons as it is and everytime they fix an exploit they nerf the path back to hell so that the people who needed to exploited it can now do it even without the exploit -.-

the game have gone so far down this road that removing all the running and exploiting will kill most of the community which is left and the wait for them to do this have already slaughtered the community which would have loved the game to be a “none exploiting/hard game”…
so its really a lose/lose situation for anet which they by their incompetent have brought on themselves, and now all that can be done is try to drag it out as long as possible.

Content skipping

RedRumOnE.9562

sadly this won’t happend, the exploiters can barely do the dungeons as it is and everytime they fix an exploit they nerf the path back to hell so that the people who needed to exploited it can now do it even without the exploit -.-

the game have gone so far down this road that removing all the running and exploiting will kill most of the community which is left and the wait for them to do this have already slaughtered the community which would have loved the game to be a “none exploiting/hard game”…
so its really a lose/lose situation for anet which they by their incompetent have brought on themselves, and now all that can be done is try to drag it out as long as possible.

It’s just like how they said the game wouldn’t be turned into a farm fest, but once the legendaries were heard about (specifically Twilight) by everyone and their grandmother everyone started farming just to get them. Eventually even though the end-game or lack thereof is all about looks everyone will eventually have the same items and nothing in this game will be unique anymore.

Everyone seems to defend these exploits in the game that make it easier but isn’t something special supposed to be earned through hard work and difficulty? If it’s not hard to get or to achieve something then is it really worth doing? It just seems like an overall hollow victory to me.

I just wish A-net dedicated this to be more of a game and not a fashion show.

Content skipping

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

I am not a big advocate for content skipping, however I can firmly see why people skip content. The basic push for content skipping is….. Reward for Time.

For instance when I first started doing CoE there is a Champ Dog that everyone seemed to skip. Created a new party where most of the party people didn’t know the dungeon. We fought it and…. got a blue from the mob…. Complete lack of Reward for Time. Now I know why to skip the mob. Had it contained additional tokens like other bosses then yes we would fight it. Pointless fights are pointless so move on. It’s not content it’s pointless time soak.

Lets take the next one I can think of, CM in a room filled with 3 groups of mobs. When you try to pull one group they all link and aggro the group which usually leads to deaths. Instead most groups put on a movement buff and an invis buff if possible and zoom up the scaffolding and then jump over to the next group of content. Why again…. Time Soak. Make the content fun and challenging and rewarding and people will kill everything in the dungeon. I know it’s a balance but for now most of it is tilted toward unrewarding. So people only go with the rewarding and skip the unrewarding aspect.

I’ve done it both ways and honestly I don’t mind doing full clears but at the same time I can see why people skip content when it doesn’t have a reward to it at all.

Content skipping

RedRumOnE.9562

Lack of rewards is another big thing in this game. Thanks for bringing that up. I remember when I beat the final boss (huge disappointment on that fight) but the mysterious boxes I got gave me lvl 20-39 blue items.

Content skipping

Posted by: IamDuddits.1692

IamDuddits.1692

Lack of rewards is another big thing in this game. Thanks for bringing that up. I remember when I beat the final boss (huge disappointment on that fight) but the mysterious boxes I got gave me lvl 20-39 blue items.

I really don’t like the concept of trash mobs which is prominent in MMOs. Understand why they exist, but there is just never any point in killing them. Even something as simple as giving them Token drop chances, or not end loading the reward would help a lot. Maybe making them less of a time sink would also help. If all the wanted to do was make a time soak then they could’ve just made a series of jump puzzles leading up to all the AC Exp bosses. It’s probably be more challenging then DPSing gravelings for 15 mins in between each boss or running passed them.

If their goal was to make getting Token gear be time consuming, I’d rather they make the end reward be 10 tokens per path, 5 per mini-boss (both diminishing to 5 and 3 on subsequent runs) and drop chances for 1-3 on mobs (maybe shoot for 30 on average per run diminishing to 5-10) but make the mobs much easier to kill (not necessarily less deadly) and less time consuming. This would encourage full runs to maximize rewards while also making the end items take a fairly decent time to farm up. Just a thought.

Content skipping

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

OP, which dungeons have you completed?

Content skipping

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

Simply putting in doors and walls that do not open until everything is dead is all that needs to be done. However, I skip because I can. I have done so many runs of TA Im sure I could solo everything but the bosses. Received all my tokens for a full set of armor. Thank You Anet. If skipping was removed I don’t think the dungeons would be worth the time.

Content skipping

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Here we go again…

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Content skipping

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

So If my team gets stuck on a mob that we cant kill, your saying we should have to revert to the start, and lose our progress vs skipping that group after an hour of trying? No thanks.

Content skipping

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

While I agree it’d be nice if things were gated to force clearing more (just as my personal opinion), it’s very clear that the developers have designed the game without that in mind. I think trying to shoehorn that into the game now would break more things than it fixes, not to mention kitten off all the players used to how it is now.

Content skipping

IamDuddits.1692

I don’t think they should force people to fight the mobs, I think they should make it worth the time by either a) decreasing the time to burn them, b) reducing dungeon completion rewards and distributing it as chance drops or c) both.

I think option C) would be the best because as of right now the mobs take too long to kill for a dungeon that you are going to run ~30 paths of per character to grind up the exotic armor set and the gift. Even if the mobs had higher drop rates for Rare crafting materials in that level range (slivers/shards/fragments) would make killing the mobs feel a little more worth it.

I just think its a better approach to remedy the reason why people don’t do it rather than forcing them to do it the way you’ve designed it.

Content skipping

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Didn’t the devs say skipping mobs is a valid tactic? o.o

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Content skipping

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

As far as I know word of god on the topic is that skipping Lt. Koheler in AC and the Bridge in SE are valid tactics. Which is kind of obvious, really, because there are alternate paths purposefully built into the level design that allow you to accomplish that.

As far as I know we don’t really have any word of god on instances of skipping where there aren’t really any obvious alternate paths and you’re just using the leashing mechanic. There was another quote more recently that admitted leashing needed to stay for other gameplay reasons and said either ‘rebalancing rewards would get looked into to encourage fighting instead of discouraging skipping’, or ‘rebalancing rewards would not get looked into because making sure people feel compelled to get to the end but rewarded throughout is too difficult to balance’ depending on interpretation.

So…yeah….

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Content skipping

IamDuddits.1692

Things like Kholer and Troll I always saw as optional and I’d say for the effort required to kill them the reward seem somewhat in the ball park. Considering the amount of time required to kill trash mobs, the quality of drops, and the ease with which they are mitigated it is no shock that they are just skipped. The current state of trash mobs could be replaced with jump puzzles or environmental hazards and would offer as much, if not more, difficulty to the dungeon with comparable rewards.

Content skipping

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

FOTM is an example of a perfectly paced dungeon. Just the right amount of trash.

If you tried clearing Arah’s normally… you’d be there for hours.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

Content skipping

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

I run a semi skip dungeon. I.e we give all mobs a good go, and if we get wiped, which sometimes happens if we’re not focused on one for example, we then skip it the next time (Troll and Lt love fest is dependant on our mood). The loots not great but having been the player that’s had to run back through it all alone because they don’t really know where they’re going, I like to make people’s lives that bit easier.
Skipping gets nasty when mobs are pulled into an event that has to go on, (AC p2 Mortar room and gravellings outside)
Generally I state my intents as to what type of run I’m doing. So Op if you’re on EU servers, I run casual kill most dungeons occasionally XD

Content skipping

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

FOTM is an example of a perfectly paced dungeon. Just the right amount of trash.

Yea, those dredge hordes are in perfect numbers.

Content skipping

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

Normally I don’t skip. A few trash mobs don’t hurt so much depending on your group. Then we have Arah. The long, tedious, boring work run. The Inquest Powersuit is the worst thing I’ve ever seen in a MMO. This is one thing I skip as often as I can. I’d skip a few other events in other dungeons too, if it were possible. Some stuff you can’t do with a PuG and/or newbies without becoming very frustrated. I’d like the dungeons less annoying.

Content skipping

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Maybe it’s best if they put in bonuses for pure clearing/full objective, that has a time/reward ratio that exceeds the ones who content skip far more? So that the people who do full clears are rewarded for it better than those who do not do full clears?

Content skipping

Posted by: Razzy.2741

Razzy.2741

Wonder if the players who seem to have issues with skipping trash would say the same after they ran each dungeon 10+ times.

BEER Guild - Dungeon Riders

Content skipping

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

A bump for the guild “Pathwalkers” main server Crystal Desert. One of the purposes of this guild is to provide a home for those who enjoy experiencing all of the content of a dungeon path. Only required to represent during guild activities but most choose to represent all the time it appears to me. I have my pet guild and will have the 100 guild bank finished in a week so they dont mind you not representing when doing your own thing. I do represent them a fair bit and have accumulated 1000 influence as their only mwmber on Borlis Pass. That was some useless info! But gives my perspective perhaps.

They do dungeon runs almost every night so you can get your no skipping fix. Nothing againts skippers I pug lots and when in a pug or Rome do as the pug its no big deal.

Pathwalkers – Crystal Desert – other servers welcome. Thanks.

Content skipping

Posted by: codpin.6542

codpin.6542

Wonder if the players who seem to have issues with skipping trash would say the same after they ran each dungeon 10+ times.

+1 for this

Faith of Astora - Guardian | Faith Mess - Mesmer | Faith War - Warrior
Member of ASq Guild – Gandara [EU]

Content skipping

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I find it fun to “challenge” myself to do the dungeon as fast as possible.

I used to play a game where there’s hall of fame record to who clear the dungeon the fastest. That is very fun.

Really, there’s only 2 challange for dungeon. 1 is to be able to clear it. 2 is to be able to clear it as efficient as possible.

Instead of thinking its skipping think it as… “well I can clear the dungeon. Let me try to do it faster next run”.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Content skipping

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

There is another issue w/ some players advocating against skipping but they won’t say it, even though they understand why people skipping mobs. They died a couple times while trying running through the mobs and when they were the last person left at the wp, trying to run again, it doesn’t look or feel good. Trust me, I know that feeling.
Skipping through mobs is a skill, and it will show when you are the only person left alone or you are the last person in the party while mobs are targeting you. If you think running through mobs in other dungeons are bad, try those in Arah who makes those mobs in other regular dungeons like a walk in the park. In a bad day, I could die a few times running through them while my friends under the same situation, running through it effortlessly time after time. Instead me being mad, I am evaluating my escape skills of the class I currently playing, my understanding of my escaping skills under duress and I try to improve it. So for ex, since I’m pretty bad w/ my warrior running, I would switch to GS & Sword/Shield, Signet of Dolyak, Signet of Stamina, Enduring Pain, Signet of Rage. That is a ton of escaping skills in there as long as I don’t target the enemy while trying to run away.

And I still die sometimes. But look at my guild tag: Through difficulties, comes honor.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Content skipping

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

If something rediculously stupid like this was to ever be implimented, they better make it so trash mobs give you something besides pointless XP. I’m sick and tired wasting time on OP trash mobs only to get nothing but a few coppers out of it in the end. I’d GLADLY pay those copper just to never even see them appear in the dungeon. They are there only to slow progression. They aren’t there to add to the experience of the player or enhance the meta-game.

If you want to waste everyone’s time on trash mobs, create you own group and make it clear to the people who join that you think your experience is worth more than their time. Short of that, don’t force your unpopular opinion on the entire player base.

Content skipping

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

They are there to enhance player’s escaping skill.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Content skipping

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

They are there to enhance player’s escaping skill.

Lol, that’s one way of looking at it.

Content skipping

Posted by: Black Wolf.7348

Black Wolf.7348

OP, you want people to play hte way you want. why cant each person decide for themselves how they want to play a dungeon and then play with people who think hte same. people who want speed can skip content and people like you can kill everything. skipping is one way of playing a dungeon and totally legit.

btw OP, do you kill every mob you see in the rest of the pve world ??? because if you dont which I believe is hte case, means that you yourself is skipping. maybe you should look into that and see if its worth your time and effort.

Content skipping

IamDuddits.1692

If they made the mobs worth killing then maybe we’d make the effort to kill them.

Content skipping

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Skipping is not exploiting. The way the dungeons were designed is to allow players to choose their style of playing (devs confirmed this). Some prefer skipping as it requires more skill and is faster while others prefer killing every single enemy, which is both slower and easier.

Personally I see what the possible drops are and make my decision whether I should skip trash mobs or not.

Content skipping

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

Yea, those dredge hordes are in perfect numbers.

At least they drop heavy miner bags,that’s usually my best source of profit outside the chests at the end of the fractals!

Content skipping

Posted by: Yasha.6105

Yasha.6105

Content skipping is especially important for those who can only play couple hrs per day. Who in their right mind will spend what little time they have killing trash?

Content skipping

Posted by: Greenthumb Legacy.6549

Greenthumb Legacy.6549

I’d like to see Dungeon Vanquish implemented. Upon completion upscaled rewards on top of normal rewards. Skip content if you wish or VQ. Dungeon Vanquisher Title. Increased gold/tokens. Post mentioned upcomming dungeon dificulty revamp(increase) of course.

Content skipping

Posted by: WonderfulCT.6278

WonderfulCT.6278

I’d like to see Dungeon Vanquish implemented. Upon completion upscaled rewards on top of normal rewards. Skip content if you wish or VQ. Dungeon Vanquisher Title. Increased gold/tokens. Post mentioned upcomming dungeon dificulty revamp(increase) of course.

No one enjoyed vanquishing at all, ever.

If they wanted people to kill trash they should just block the exit until they are dead.

Ex. For instance in TA if a group wanted to do the upper path. They first would have to kill the dogs to open a door. Next the would have to kill the 4 tree men to open the next door. Wurms are already madatory as are the spiders. Next every enemy on the path to boss would need to be killed.

After killing the boss the next group enemies would need to be killed before you can jump off the cliff. The group of enemies before the nightmare tree need to be killed, and just for fun the tree can move now (just want this changed to make the boss challenging).

If they wanted people to kill trash thats all they have to do is block the exit. I think it’s safe to say a-net knows this and that they won’t force players to kill enemies who don’t even drop anything.

Add more sound effects to The Minstrel plz.

Content skipping

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This could so easily be fixed if trash mobs were able to drop valuable loot. But since they don’t, and people are often doing these dungeons for the loot, what is the point in not skipping them? There isn’t much fun to be had from fighting those mobs again when you do the dungeon for the eleventh time. If you can skip them, by all means. The faster you can complete the run and get to the end reward, the faster you can do the run again. I don’t even think you can honestly call it an exploit. This is simply a matter of emergent game play.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Content skipping

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

People insist on running dungeons in pick-up groups, and expect that everyone should want to run the dungeon the same way they do. If you PuG, you take what you get. If you want to PuG in a no-skip group, then only join groups advertising no skipping, or form your own. Better, join a guild, if you can find one that isn’t interested in dungeon speed.

Content skipping

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

To be fair, it would be better if dungeons discouraged skipping. Wouldn’t it be great if the dungeons were fun enough, that you didn’t want to skip them?

Or they could at least be designed in such a way that skipping enemies was either impossible, or simply expected. To elaborate, I personally wouldn’t mind skipping mobs, if it didn’t involve just hitting the your run skill and dashing through several mobs, and making it out alive. GW1 had dungeons where avoiding some patrols was expected of you, and every group did so. It didn’t feel unfair or like skipping content. The dungeon map was simply littered with various optional mobs, and the players only killed what they needed to get to the next quest.

I think what a lot of players want, is to simply not miss out on the experience of doing a dungeon. Its not skipping a fight or two that’s the problem, but its the rushing-through-all-the-content aspect of it. You don’t get the time to enjoy the scenery, or the dialogues.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Content skipping

Posted by: Ethrium.8529

Ethrium.8529

I agree with some people on this thread, there really isn’t any point of killing every mobs in dungeons because they are just a huge time sink. To be honest the rewards in dungeons aren’t really all that great so why would you waste anymore of your time. if you love going into dungeons then that really on you, not everyone wants to kill every mob in a dungeon. I’ve played several MMO’s and even in those games most people i play with dont waste their time killing trash mobs.

Objectively if killing every mob in a dungeon path would yield good loots (rares/gold) then maybe, if there are several ways you can be rewarded to complete a dungeon by killing everything then maybe. to be honest even if they did that, people will still skip mobs.

As everyone who posted had already mentioned, you have a better luck by starting your own party with “No Skipping Mobs” tag on. Though it may take you some time to find a full PT, bc everyone wants to farm one particular dungeon and the rest are dead zones.

Content skipping

Posted by: Greenthumb Legacy.6549

Greenthumb Legacy.6549

No one enjoyed vanquishing at all, ever.

I did. As well as scores of pugs I VQ’d with. Trash mob loot wasn’t the draw. End rewards and completion was.
I stand by my opinion.