Content vs. Gear: The Disconnect

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Ascended weapons and armor are a great idea but the only reason to actually use them in PvE is Fractals. Why aren’t they available through Prestine Relics? Are there plans to add purchasable Ascended items other than rings in future Fractal Rewards updates?

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

It is because Anet treats ascended weapons as a carrot for players to do other content. Even if the players do not actually enjoy doing the said content.

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

It is because Anet treats ascended weapons as a carrot for players to do other content. Even if the players do not actually enjoy doing the said content.

+1

Also: luck inflation

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Ascended isn’t what makes fractals doable, infusions are. The two are tied together but that doesn’t make them the same. They could easily implement the infusion system without ascended items.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

Ascended isn’t what makes fractals doable, infusions are. The two are tied together but that doesn’t make them the same. They could easily implement the infusion system without ascended items.

Could.

Yet, 4/7 item slots needed for Fractals aren’t even obtained in fractals. They pretty much “force” you to do other content/grind gold+mats for weapons if you want to progress in fractals normally with a giant timegate added on top of everything and also EXTREMELY alt unfriendly. Yes, an infusion slot on any item would possibly solve that issue, but then fractal players wouldn’t even bother with krap like laurels/guildmissions/grinding money/mats for ascended weapon crafting etc. and Arenanet/NCSoft wouldn’t like that some players ignore content that is boring to them.

At least i wouldn’t. I play games mainly to have fun. Challenge comes next. Mindless grinding, crafting, spamming 1 1 1 1 1 F 1 1 1F 1 F 1 1 1 F and timegating is neither challenging nor fun(to me, don’t know about you…).

On a similar note: See how casuals/non fractal/mindless zergling 1 1 1 players overflow the forums with their tears because they can’t get fractal backpacks without doing fractals? Almost all of them don’t even try to slip into fractal player’s shoes before whining endlessly about that. Fractal players have it much worse i’d say.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

(edited by Emanuel.9781)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Anet’s designers simply innovates how you should design your epic mmo.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

The disconnect is when you have to do the basically least skillful things in the game to obtain ascended gear.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

There is nothing more skillful in this game than setting your bear/bow ranger to auto attack at a dragon boss and going afk. /anet logic.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

haviz.1340

Autoattack? What about mighty and powerful tequatl? That requires tremendous effort and coordination, available to only selected players.

swiftpaw.6397

Autoattack? What about mighty and powerful tequatl? That requires tremendous effort and coordination, available to only selected players.

Oh that dragon requires some fancy footwork. The player actually has to move around the map and even hit 2,3,4 and even higher number skills. And.. heaven forbid.. they may even have to… to… dodge something. O_O

haviz.1340

Oh that dragon requires some fancy footwork. The player actually has to move around the map and even hit 2,3,4 and even higher number skills. And.. heaven forbid.. they may even have to… to… dodge something. O_O

Dodge? Stacking and rezzing for the win!

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Whenever I do tequatl, I make it my duty to ensure the launch pads are operational.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I have yet to do the new Tequatl.

Am I missing out on anything or is it just pressing 1 for win while listening to some bloke on teamspeak tell you where to press it?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Okay c’mon Teq isn’t that bad. I just wish I didn’t have such huge FPS and lag issues near zergs, I couldn’t jump those waves for kitten.
Granted… I spent the whole time doing a typical LS farmer and mindlessly running around getting tags on different mobs then going through my achievements mid-battle to see what I needed to get next xD

Edit: Which reminds me of how I got that Jormag achievement yesterday, I asked a guildie where I was “meant” to stand to get it…. Well… I got it.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

(edited by Dolan.3071)

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I was streaming last night and was finally in a group that beat Tequatl. I even got a mini :O

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

I looked up how much those minis are worth…. I hate you.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I looked up how much those minis are worth…. I hate you.

I sold it for 144g

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This. “Ascended had to be introduced because of Fractals” was just a flimsy excuse that Anet used to introduce Ascended gear. Too bad so many people simply take their word for it without thinking.

Posted by: Maximillian Greil.1965

Maximillian Greil.1965

Well… Ascended items were supposed to be in the game at release, but I guess they didn’t want to make us wait another year. Agony was supposed to be used in dungeons, and may still be used in dungeons one day, perhaps with the introduction of hard mode? Anyway, point is I guess they want to saturate the game with agony resist before they put it in other places other than fractals. v

haviz.1340

Well… Ascended items were supposed to be in the game at release, but I guess they didn’t want to make us wait another year. Agony was supposed to be used in dungeons, and may still be used in dungeons one day, perhaps with the introduction of hard mode? Anyway, point is I guess they want to saturate the game with agony resist before they put it in other places other than fractals. v

Let me know what kind of mushrooms you were having.

Posted by: Maximillian Greil.1965

Maximillian Greil.1965

Let me know what kind of mushrooms you were having.

It’s true! they were talking about it when ascended items first came out.

haviz.1340

I heard some people saying this guy is a real deal.

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

The only true god is Kormir

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

swiftpaw.6397

I heard some people saying this guy is a real deal.

Never speak of the lord FSM lightheartedly >:(