Contested Dungeons - What's the point?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: pyronix.4081

pyronix.4081

Contested dungeons.

Just go to GW2LFG and you’ll see a people looking for 1 more with a server where the dungeon is uncontested, especially during off peak hours. I’ve been kicked from a group because they were trying to find a server were the dungeon is uncontested and it was currently contested in mine.

I don’t see the point of this game mechanic. Once upon a time, maybe the developers thought, hey maybe it would be fun if…

IT’S NOT FUN. At all. I don’t see how anyone benefits from this. It’s just added stress and annoyance, and it adds to my suspicion that this game hates PUG-ging so much and assumes that everyone does stuff with their guilds or friends or lovers or whatever. This has led to LFG dynamics where one of the criteria (and sometimes the only criteria) for being chosen is whether or not the dungeon is uncontested on your server.

If anyone finds this fun, please explain to me why. I fail to see the rationale. If the developers want to slow progression, this is really one of the worse ways to do it.

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

- To make people do the dynamic events
- Add some sort of depth to the game
- Additional farming spot

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I don’t mind them being contested but CoF staying open for around 15 min. is ridiculous. No reason that I should do the event to open the dungeon do a speed run path one then come out and have to do it again.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

I’m getting really, really sick of the CoF event. The timer is just too short. Make them stay uncontested for 6 hours or something, please.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I like the idea of the “hostile” dungeons being contested. When you are trying to get into an enemy stronghold, you can’t expect to walk in whenever you feel like it.

However, the timer between those periods needs to be significantly longer. They changed Arah because it was so stupidly difficult getting it open (it is now only shut if the pact assault is in progress). This makes sense. The other dungeons can be opened up by about 8 people (1.5 parties worth). Arah you need an army to take.

It is still incredibly annoying when you open up Citadel of Flames, do a speed run, and find it contested when you finish. That one is by far the worst offender for open time.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Yeah, they deliberately altered the CoF timer back when CoF2 was farmed.

Remember, no farming allowed, no dosh allowed, the gems must flow.

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

The other dungeons can be opened up by about 8 people (1.5 parties worth).

You can open CoF with like three people.

But yeah, those pre-events are really boring and tiresome. Maybe they’re prventing people from farming one path over and over, but for people who just run p 1 nd 2 daily it’s just a chore. The whole event takes almost the same time as one dungeon run.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: pyronix.4081

pyronix.4081

As for the argument to “prevent” farming, this is easily by-passed by having someone in your party on a server with an uncontested dungeon. This has resulted in a lot of groups specifically looking only for people on servers with uncontested dungeons. And yes, I am talking about CoF.

Now, I like dynamic events… I really do. But it’s such a pain when you’re in a group with people spread across 4 different servers, nobody has it open, there’s a dynamic event up on your end, and you’re the only one at the entrance area of your server. So… what now? More often than not, party leaders ends up doing a roulette of kicking and inviting people looking for someone with uncontested dungeons.

This would have been a good idea if contested dungeons were major hubs of end game and there were always a lot of people in the area – this, however, is not a case, and I have frequently found myself at the entrance of CoF alone and hoping I could get a group that already has someone with the dungeon open, or getting a PUG nice enough to not kick me if my server’s dungeon is contested.

(edited by pyronix.4081)

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

Agree with OP contention is just stupid , to make people do dynamic events? I don’t Wanado them I’m there to do a dungeon not an event if I wanted to do an event I would do an event. Duh. It makes minority servers suffer without the likes of gw2lfg which isn’t anet design.

I am all for removing this. You’ve done an event once you’ve done it a thousand times, now just let me do the dungeon.

Always in all ways

Posted by: Prism.5649

Prism.5649

Agree with OP contention is just stupid , to make people do dynamic events? I don’t Wanado them I’m there to do a dungeon not an event if I wanted to do an event I would do an event. Duh. It makes minority servers suffer without the likes of gw2lfg which isn’t anet design.

I am all for removing this. You’ve done an event once you’ve done it a thousand times, now just let me do the dungeon.

Contested dungeons should most definitely be on a much longer cooldown, something more akin to world invaders perhaps.

However, your argument that “minority servers suffer without the likes of gw2lfg which isn’t anet design” is silly. Minority servers have just as much access to gw2lfg as any other server, so by not using it all you are doing is shooting your own foot.

If your argument is that you don’t want to use it because ANet did not design it then you are being equally silly. Just because a game company did not design a third party application does not mean they do not rely on it.

Bear with me through this reference, I normally hate the following company but in this particular example they are perfect for proving my point.
A perfect example is the ever popular WoW addon Deadly Boss Mod (DBM). DBM was an addon developed by a third party programmer, and yet its huge popularity actually allowed Blizzard to design raid encounters with the assumption that players would be using DBM.

This allowed Blizzard to create far more intricate and complex raid encounters than was previously possible (of course they later started catering to kids and as a result raid encounters became ever more simplified but that’s beside the point). And all because of a third party program that was not Blizzard’s original design.

My point here is that just because something is not designed by a game company does not mean it is not useful and should not be used. ANet has even explicitly stated that players should be using GW2LFG.

Now if your argument is that this is laziness on ANet’s part and that they should design their own LFG system then I ask you to think about that for a moment. GW2LFG works perfectly right now, so why should ANet waste time on developing their own version of something that already exists when they could be working to fix/balance other mechanics and/or add new content?

Finding dungeons via GW2LFG is completely fine and should be used by anyone looking for dungeon PUGs.

But this is a tangent, so:

TL;DR
The fact of the matter is (as has been stated above) that the ability to group with different servers for dungeons (which is a great feature by itself) in conjunction with stupidly frequent contested dungeons has created an annoying and useless situation. Contested CoF does not stop players from consecutive speed runs, but it does discourage players from doing their dailies.

Prismatic Storm: Ele
Prismatic Science: Engi
Prismatic Dream: Mesmer

Posted by: Sativo.9754

Sativo.9754

Yeah, they deliberately altered the CoF timer back when CoF2 was farmed.

Remember, no farming allowed, no dosh allowed, the gems must flow.

Pretty much this. Only dungeons where you can actually use tokens to get ecto are contested excluding hotw which is just a horrible tedious dungeon.

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

Contested dungeons should most definitely be on a much longer cooldown, something more akin to world invaders perhaps.

However, your argument that “minority servers suffer without the likes of gw2lfg which isn’t anet design” is silly. Minority servers have just as much access to gw2lfg as any other server, so by not using it all you are doing is shooting your own foot.

If your argument is that you don’t want to use it because ANet did not design it then you are being equally silly. Just because a game company did not design a third party application does not mean they do not rely on it.

Bear with me through this reference, I normally hate the following company but in this particular example they are perfect for proving my point.
A perfect example is the ever popular WoW addon Deadly Boss Mod (DBM). DBM was an addon developed by a third party programmer, and yet its huge popularity actually allowed Blizzard to design raid encounters with the assumption that players would be using DBM.

This allowed Blizzard to create far more intricate and complex raid encounters than was previously possible (of course they later started catering to kids and as a result raid encounters became ever more simplified but that’s beside the point). And all because of a third party program that was not Blizzard’s original design.

My point here is that just because something is not designed by a game company does not mean it is not useful and should not be used. ANet has even explicitly stated that players should be using GW2LFG.

Now if your argument is that this is laziness on ANet’s part and that they should design their own LFG system then I ask you to think about that for a moment. GW2LFG works perfectly right now, so why should ANet waste time on developing their own version of something that already exists when they could be working to fix/balance other mechanics and/or add new content?

Finding dungeons via GW2LFG is completely fine and should be used by anyone looking for dungeon PUGs.

But this is a tangent, so:

TL;DR
The fact of the matter is (as has been stated above) that the ability to group with different servers for dungeons (which is a great feature by itself) in conjunction with stupidly frequent contested dungeons has created an annoying and useless situation. Contested CoF does not stop players from consecutive speed runs, but it does discourage players from doing their dailies.

I think what they were trying to say was that if someone hadn’t come along and developed that it would be even bigger of a problem for the minority servers. Anet designed this huge problem for minority servers and somebody else had to come along and fix it for them. I could be wrong but that is what I got out of this.

I also disagree with what you said. Blizzard allows the use of these applications inside the game. Anet does not. If they wan’t to force me to go outside of their game to play it properly then they are wrong. Plus these events are long, monotonous, and usually difficult to do with less than an entire party. It makes dungeons even less appealing that it does when it just had really terrible loot.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i wait like 5 minutes after joining a group, if its not uncontested i quit. tired of waiting of spamming same boring events.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

if contested is here to not allow farming, then remove DR since event is considered a part of a dungeon…

btw, idea someone put on forum already and i liked is having a weekly event to open the dungeon for the next week

Posted by: luminathor.2839

luminathor.2839

The number one question asked by our guild members when someone proposes a dungeon run is, “is it contested?” And if it is, there is much less enthusiasm to run that particular dungeon.

My opinion about dungeons is this: At this point, we’ve seen all that dungeons have to offer. Some we like, some we don’t like, some are fast, some… not so much. Regardless, they’re not new or exciting to us. We’re not there to ‘experience’ anything – it’s been done a dozen times over. We’re there because member X needs Y tokens so he or she can get those nice things they want to have.

Forcing us to do a chain of dynamic events just so we can get to the entrance is not something we enjoy doing. It’s not fun or engaging; it just adds more time and boring repetition to an activity that is already boring and repetitive.

Want to contest the waypoint? Fine. We’ll send a runner, no biggie. But at least let us get in the entrance without having to re-clear the zone (I exaggerate of course – but that’s how we feel).

In short – please change this. Soon.

(edited by luminathor.2839)