D-day is here, Anet. (state of PvE>Raids)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: pranker.3748

pranker.3748

Hello!

I haven’t been cruising around the forums and this sub-topic for a while now and might have missed previous similar debates, so excuse me if I make a ‘’re-post’’ worthy of negative influence points or a post deletion.

Quite a big chunk of players clearing raids on weekly basis, and those who haven’t had the chance to clear it yet, are showing interest for a DPS meter on a daily basis. Because there isn’t any progress on that specific field some people go out of their comfort zone and make programs (which Anet should provide anyway) which measure personal and group DPS. They are doing Anet’s job.

Why has there been no progress on that field? Does Anet feel it would cause rupture between the casual population and those playing with a certain goal, organization, discipline, leading to the ’’casual’’ being left out of the ’’content’’ they release?

Sure it might be their ideology not to become yet another ‘’copy/paste’’ MMO and to be casual friendly but in all fairness to the tested and worn-out models, they at least keep players around and busy. While on the other hand Guild Wars 2 has an awesome foundation to push to the top but seems to be limited by narrow vision of power horses in the Anet’s engine room. The lack of love for the end-game content and willingness to move away from the ‘’casual friendly game’’ idea is making anyone who has spent a certain amount of hours in-game leave because everything they do has been:
-done so many times before,
-doesn’t leave much option on what ’’content’’ to do,
-is too easy,
-pushes for only 1 gameplay style, which is DPS (might have forgotten some).

Because of that people in the past took it upon themselves to create content and competition among each other (record clears, limiting number of players, solo’s,…). Again those same people doing Anet’s work.

Back to topic. Another step lately has been introduction of Raids yet no release of DPS tool. Firstly Raids were cleared in hours by many half-abled guilds, which don’t even call themselves hardcore/semi-hardcore but were rather made from people that experienced raids in other games. Only thing time limit in raids did was to push groups into going pure damage/condi damage and a tiny tiny tiny bit of healing. Sure mechanics were okay, you have to glide/move/jump/get in the area etc. But similar stuff has already been seen in fractals where area on the ground dictates how you move (aether, coe,…). Secondly no official release of DPS meter made things a bit confusing. People had to again spend their time and work on calculating the DPS, checking if results were correct, checking with other people, re-checking DPS, then you had to find somebody else to do other professions and repeat the process. At that point ’’meta’’ builds were released and team composition building came in (repeat the process x4). But hey some of us like to do that, no biggie, the problem was not having any help from Anet in the form of DPS meter.
In the spirit of Raids being a high level, challenging end-game content where a lot of coordination, communication, organization is required, we were left in stone age relying on SEEING/speculating what professions do the most damage, who performs well, what else can be improved and we were generally left in the dark (which is avoidable if you go out of your skin to create your own programs and invest a ‘’full-time job’’ into it). If you want to have high level end-game content such as 10 man raids, make a bloody DPS meter or something similar to show progress and effectiveness of group members.

These failed attempts to create challenging end-game content, at the same time banning all 3rd party measuring programs have lead up to a lot of once dedicated, skilled, loyal players leave the game for good. It might be time to re-think the ideology to support gliders, wings, BL skins in order to satisfy the casual players because at some point they will want more than meaningless PvE event farm or 2 modes of PvP and will want to dedicate to something. At that point their needs wont be satisfied and will do like many before them and leave.

I wont give out any ideas because there has been plenty on the forums, plenty of ideas in other games but nothing happens. This is just my humble opinion on a tiny aspect which is significant to dedicated raiders/fotm-ers/dungeoneers and atm is the cause of a lot of players changing to games like Bewbs&Babes, etc.

By all means offer constructive criticism, points to debate on and your personal ideas.

Thanks,

a player who is slowly giving up.

[qT] Quantify – Hardcore PvE Guild

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

How many games actually come up with their own DPS meter tho? In the few MMOs I played they were all community creations. I feel if they’d just relax their third party software rule, we would have had a DPS meter a long time ago.

Posted by: LegACy.1296

LegACy.1296

Okay… I’m not sure what you’re actually trying to say here. Is this about the DPS meter? Yet at one point you seem to say that the raid is fail or something?

Anyway, to be fair, our current LFG comes much, much later in the game development. For months (or even years) players were relying on the now defunct gw2lfg.com. So it’s not unprecedented that players provide a needed service for some times before ArenaNet does.

Also, it makes sense that they release raid without any kind of DPS meter, they don’t even know if people will like the raid or not. Why waste resources for something that people may not need/want/like?

These failed attempts to create challenging end-game content, at the same time banning all 3rd party measuring programs have lead up to a lot of once dedicated, skilled, loyal players leave the game for good.

I am 100% sure there is no skilled and dedicated players who leave because there’s no DPS meter in the game. Maybe they left because they cleared raid in one monday and got bored for the rest of the week, maybe they left because they don’t like doing map meta, or maybe other reasons, but definitely not because there’s no DPS meter.

pranker.3748

DPS meter being one of the problems, cries of community to at least soften the rules. But nope. They dont want to even approach us.

Problem overall is anet’s ideology to push for Casual friendly game. I only focused on 1 aspect which is raid and trouble within (dps meter).

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

Gw2 is a casual friendly game. Do you realize how would the “I got 25k achiev points so I’m way better than you” casual feel if he saw that he’s actually doing 6k DPS on Vale Guardian, when the build he’s playing is supposed to do 25k?

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

Gw2 is a casual friendly game. Do you realize how would the “I got 25k achiev points so I’m way better than you” casual feel if he saw that he’s actually doing 6k DPS on Vale Guardian, when the build he’s playing is supposed to do 25k?

He might get a clue and learn to play his class properly?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People have different reactions to the idea of DPS meters, for various reasons. People already have written apps to estimate DPS and folks that want the meters are using them. Regardless of my personal feelings about how DPS meters might be implemented and/or used, I’d prefer to let 3rd parties keep doing their thing and leave ANet to focus on other things that the game needs, since most of those can’t be done by fans.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I just logged into fractals a few days ago and said: Hi ppl!

I had a guy in say chat responding: You are using water, why? You need to take dagger and warhorn.

I’ve ran staff ele for a long time now, I’m used to the rotations and know the skills, If I make mistakes it’s mostly due to a fatfinger.

So I asked how can you tell I use water? I was in fire attunement, so he couldn’t have noticed soothing mist.

His answer was GW2DPS.

Interesting how a DPS tool with no acces to the ingame systems can tell him I’m using Fire/Water/Tempest instead of Fire/Lightning/Tempest.

I felt annoyed and left the group I did lvl 83,77 and 67 fine on my fire/water/tempest build with the group directly below the first one in LFG.

I play because I like it I do 80+ fractals daily as a casual, and I get more and more fanatics whining my builds are not meta enough. I stay alive most of the time and water gives me an interesting edge often keeping me and my group alive if something goes wrong and an AoE condi cleanse on swap to water proves usefull regularly, and AoE heal over time for a short while if needed, not interfering with regen tends to be a help in maintaining a healthy party.

Pure DPS is nice but sometimes ppl should look further then the couple 100 DPS lost. I have had somany parties only focussing on DPS only to get downed or even die due to nobody having acces to cleansing or boons other then might and if I’m lucky fury.

Regen, protection, aegis, stability and cleansing seem to be a bad thing…. as seem condi builds doing blinds and weakness…. reflects, and control…

Yes it will be 15 seconds slower on boss, but you’ll be alive….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

pranker.3748

Pure DPS is nice but sometimes ppl should look further then the couple 100 DPS lost. I have had somany parties only focussing on DPS only to get downed or even die due to nobody having acces to cleansing or boons other then might and if I’m lucky fury.

Sounds like a poor application of general idea of meta builds etc. Certain classes have different jobs to cover withing their DPS role. If you go all guns blazing tunnel vision on VG you are going to have a kittenty day, while if you have a class taking the tanking job, somebody else on healing and the third on seekers control, then you might have a crack at it. All completed within maximizing DPS (as much as your role allows you to).