DPS Training

DPS Training

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

Q:

Now that we have a dps training area :

What do you think should be the time to kill a golem with 10 millions HP as a group of 10 in order to meet the DPS check of each boss?

Example :

Vale guardian : 2min00sec
Gorseval : 1min40sec (big hit box golem)
Sabetha : 1 min45sec

I think it would be helpful for groups to know what they should meet.

Afala – Ehmry Bay

DPS Training

Posted by: Xcorpdog.2840

Xcorpdog.2840

Honestly while they maybe a nice idea in practice a lot of the time people have issues more so with preforming their rotations when they have all the other fight specific things going on like Cannons on sabetha as an example.
When it comes down to things in terms of “meeting dps checks” more often than not dps isn’t the thing that causes failures and more often than not it’s failing at mechanics.
I have been on far too many pug runs when my guild isn’t running where in which we have fine dps overall on gorseval but then when it comes to the charged spirits people break down run around a lot and spend over 2 mins on it because of one reason or another then have no issue meeting the dps check later for the world eater.
Not to mention the fact that bosses like Vg move so frequently unless you actively are invuln’ing the greens that even if players can pass a dps check on a non moving target they will fail at using skills because the boss will walk out of it.
I personally only really see the dps area good for applying spread sheet idea’s in a controlled environment.

DPS Training

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

well. 2 min kill on 10m golem = 6:30 VG split, but half the party has to move around or throw out knockbacks in the actal fight, so you’ll want to kill notably faster

DPS Training

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

There isn’t really a good answer to this question. None of the raid bosses are just sitting there doing nothing – there are fight mechanics you have to deal with that obviously have a huge impact on your DPS. The golem is a poor measure of how much damage your group does to a raid boss because dealing with raid mechanics properly is far more important to increasing DPS than having a “perfect” rotation. This is especially true because there are things like epidemic bounces and condition transfers that have HUGE dps implications but can’t really be replicated by the DPS golem.

It doesn’t help that 10 million HP is probably a little low for a 10 man group.

Obviously the DPS golem is a great tool overall for practicing rotations, group comps, boonshare setups, etc in a large or small group or alone. It’s a lot easier to make corrections in your rotation when you are able to see how those corrections (or your mistakes!) affect your damage, and it really lets you see what skills do the most (especially against big hitbox golem lol). But shooting for a specific number as a benchmark to kill a raid boss seems misguided, as having better DPS doesn’t necessarily mean you will do better against the boss. You might as well just practice against the boss, and if you want to push yourselves for a certain number on the DPS golem then treat that as a separate exercise.

DPS Training

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

First, thank you for answering.

I know that mechanic impact it a lot but I have also seen countless pug group that just don’t have enough DPS and would be better to practice on that immobile golem than to waste time on the real boss. We might disagree on that opinion but…

Let’s stay on topic

Afala – Ehmry Bay

DPS Training

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

You want to improve your team’s DPS for sure. Two minutes seem to be a bit too much for VG, like someone said earlier that’s equivalent to 6:30 phase change. Good groups phase at 6:45-7 minutes.

DPS Training

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

lol at people trying to preach. Yes a dps test isn’t the be all end all of raiding successfully. I think the tc knows this already. But if your raid isn’t successful, you can use a dps test to narrow down the problems and see where you need to improve. Pure dps is fine? you know it’s the mechanics, or respecting the mechanics efficiently. Pure dps is not fine? You know it’s rotations or builds or boon distribution.

DPS Training

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

First, thank you for answering.

I know that mechanic impact it a lot but I have also seen countless pug group that just don’t have enough DPS and would be better to practice on that immobile golem than to waste time on the real boss. We might disagree on that opinion but…

Let’s stay on topic

I mean if the DPS problems are solely because people suck at their rotations then sure go to the DPS golem for practice. But my guess is that people just don’t know the mechanics well and so they aren’t attacking anywhere near as often as they should be, and there are probably a lot of people going down, which has a gigantic impact on dps.

The answers you have gotten are on topic. They are pointing out that the entire premise of your question is flawed. There is no way to choose a reasonable number that will determine if your party will meet the DPS check with any degree of confidence. Furthermore, practicing boss mechanics will likely increase your party DPS more than practicing DPS rotations, so I would say that the time spent at the golem is time wasted much more than time spent fighting the boss.

Look at it this way – against vale guardian and sabetha the final phases are so much more difficult than the rest of the fight that they might as well be the only part you have to beat. How much DPS your squad does in the first phases of VG and sabetha might as well not matter, because even if your DPS is mediocre you can still complete the fight easily. What matters is how much DPS your party does when sabetha and karde are both up, there are turrets spawning and your have to throw to a cannon, and there are two timed bombs going off.

And even if that weren’t the case, like I wrote before some comps simply cannot be evaluated by the DPS golem. If we bring 3 necros with epidemic (which is our actual comp against slothasor) then our golem DPS will be complete crap, even though it will be amazing in the actual fight.

lol at people trying to preach. Yes a dps test isn’t the be all end all of raiding successfully. I think the tc knows this already. But if your raid isn’t successful, you can use a dps test to narrow down the problems and see where you need to improve. Pure dps is fine? you know it’s the mechanics, or respecting the mechanics efficiently. Pure dps is not fine? You know it’s rotations or builds or boon distribution.

It’s pretty easy to know what your group’s problems are without going to the DPS golem. Like I said, there’s nothing wrong with using the golem to evaluate your groups DPS rotations and several other things. The golems are great. I’m saying there literally is not an answer to the question he is asking.