Deeply Disappointed with dungeon changes

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

Dungeons have long been my favorite part of PvE. I play fractals, quite a bit, I enjoy open world content, but when I am really interested in a great run, i turn to a tour of the tyrian underground. That experience shouldn’t change with the reduction of rewards, they aren’t announcing changes to the dungeons themselves, right? Except that experience WILL change because it will depopulate an area of the game that has already been hit hard by neglect and disinterest in the part of ANET. It is already hard enough to find interest in forming dungeon teams. If the dungeons are only of benefit for those who are farming skins or trying to get the current legendaries (as opposed to the shiny new ones in HoT) that is only going to get worse.

I understand that they want us to play their new stuff, and I will. I pre-ordered for my wife & I early on. I am already talking with our guild about being on our raid team. But that doesn’t change my desire to keep playing dungeons.

For the sake of being nice and forum friendly, I will spare you all my wife’s comments on the matter except to say that she is just as disappointed as I am and less diplomatic about expressing it.

I sincerely doubt anybody from ANET will see this, but I would like to propose a way to leave them of at least some value for casual gamers.

1. leave the dungeon rewards the same for the first path run on a dungeon each day.
2. if you HAVE to reduce dungeon rewards (and I am completely NOT conceding that point) then implement diminishing rewards on a per path basis rather than a flat rate across the board for all paths of all dungeons.

That at leaves us the opportunity to travel around the world doing dungeons, and retain some value in running them rather than nerf-ing them into entire extinction.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: doddbox.8153

doddbox.8153

For one we don’t actually know how hard they’re going to nerf gold rewards, secondly I’m pretty sure people who have been running dungeon tours for the best part of 3 years are ready to say goodbye to them.

There is also nothing stopping you from doing them after since the core bug-ridden design is staying the same.

very special guild tag [tX]

Posted by: ViciousFire.9137

ViciousFire.9137

For one we don’t actually know how hard they’re going to nerf gold rewards, secondly I’m pretty sure people who have been running dungeon tours for the best part of 3 years are ready to say goodbye to them.

There is also nothing stopping you from doing them after since the core bug-ridden design is staying the same.

This.

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I have been running dungeons from the very beginning of GW2. I ran dungeons in GW1 hard mode, (along with UW, FoW etc). I don’t find them stale although I understand others that do. I plan on continuing to run them as I can. What I am lamenting is the depopulation of dungeon runners that this change has the potential to bring. If you are bored with dungeons, then by all means move on to other content. I am not looking to force people to continue playing them, but I hate the idea of ANET manipulating things FOR THE PURPOSE of depopulating dungeons and moving them to other content.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

To be perfectly honest – the only reason I like or do dungeons now is the gold. Once that’s gone I’m gone too.
I do regret it – it was a fast and painless way of getting gold – I don’t look forward to having to do other, new, less profitable farms ( and you can bet your kitten it’s going to be less profitable).
On the other hand I’ve stocked up on a good amount of money – so this shouldn’t hurt too much.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

We as a guild run fractals and dungeons daily and most of us have been together for 3 years. This is nonsense. The point is Anet has always used dungeons as a scapegoat for their mistakes. Only people who suffer are those that like dungeons.

Posted by: IXIDOR.6278

IXIDOR.6278

The problem with basically everything they do is:
“We, the developers, think ‘enter trait/content/class/skill/item here’ is ‘bad/OP/imbalanced/no fun/overhyped’ so we introduce the new: ‘enter overhyped hyperinohype of hypeness here’. Dear player, you have 2 options now: Jump on the hypetrain and love it!!!11!eleven, or get rekt m8.”

I know I exaggerate a bit, but so far Anet has taken sooo much fun/useful stuff away (e.g. perma-vigor on guard, then perma-vigor on nearly every other class that had it but not on ele. Then 50% less vigor effectivity. And to create less build diversity, while the aim is usually claimed as “getting more build diversity”, let’s finally double the cooldown of the vigor trait on elementalist too) I don’t really think vigor (with halved effectivity) was too OP but I only played ele for 1k hrs in pvp+pve so what do I know.. Next point: Thief. Once a fun and useful class.. let’s nerf the dmg! Warrior is a class that is easy to play, and does quite high dmg while having the highest base HP, OP heal, an opportunity to supply 25 might, in addition with banners and EA buffing the team dps around 30-40%… “I don’t see any need to nerf anything here, let’s rather buff the personal DPS a bit!”.
And now after I’ve endured all the (im)balance patches (and let’s not mention the laggy servers) and the huuuuuuuuge amount of bugs ( I mean come on, it’s a ridiculously huge amount..) and the current state of condition cancer pvp I finally read the blogpost I’ve been waiting for: “rekt in peace dungeons and screw you if you like them!”.
Why can’t they nerf/introduce new content in a different way? Not by killing stuff that is too strong, but by helping other stuff to get equally good/interesting…

Autistic Roleplayers [rP] – www.tinyurl.com/VanHammesYT

Posted by: Elomite.2396

Elomite.2396

Because when you play whack a mole with a sledgehammer the moles don’t come back up and there’s less you need to focus on

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I’m pretty sure people who have been running dungeon tours for the best part of 3 years are ready to say goodbye to them.

I’m as tired of them as everyone else but I really don’t see how that justifies removing the rewards? Those rewards are the ONLY reason a lot of people are doing that old stale content at all.

No, the real reason they’re doing this is to make people buy HoT. Period.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

The dungeons reward too much for the effort they take. With the glitching, skipping and the berserker meta they take barely more effort than zerging the temples in Orr so why should they reward so much?

As we get much better designed content that may actually take effort and has a place for all kinds of players, they can either make that content reward more than dungeons, or they can nerf dungeons and make new content take its place. Looks like they picked the second option, most likely because the first option would risk causing inflation in the economy, but either way, dungeons won’t be the favored way to get rewards anymore, outside of their exclusive gear.

There is a third option, which would be to revamp the dungeons with mechanics that don’t look like they were designed on a napkin, but they would essentially be working on old content instead of fresh new content if they did that.

I agree that dungeons, as a concept, are more interesting than fractals though. The story/explore mode was a great idea. Hopefully, they revamp dungeons later as a free patch and then bump the rewards back up, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Wow, the amount of threads popping up about this is bananas.
We have like zero details pertaining to the specifics of these changes, so the “knee-jerk” reaction may be a little premature.
Furthermore, the Xpac is going to introduce HUGE economic changes and we have NO CLUE as to how all of this is going to contribute to the massive change that is coming to our economy. To that effect, i for one believe with full confidence that Anet is just as concerned about a healthy economy as we are, so lets keep that in perspective.
I mean lets be reasonable here. Currently, the dungeons are a place where even the most ill equipped and underprepared players can easily go and farm MASSIVE amounts of 100% liquid currency. I guarantee that this is not working as intended and is overall not even remotely healthy for economic stability.
Lastly, Anet is very transparently moving away from the existing dungeons in lieu of creating and supporting the new content. How is this bad? I can only speak for myself, but a quick read through these forums will paint a pretty clear picture of the overwhelming community opinion on the existing dungeon content. Lets face it, it’s broken and has been for quite some time. As a community we have complained very thoroughly and it appears as though Anet has listened and are attempting to give us EXACTLY what we’ve been asking for. I for one am pretty stoked about that.

And lastly, here’s my jab… If a player is that concerned about generating piles of cash with relatively no effort, well there’s still the gem store…

Posted by: Sigfodr.9576

Sigfodr.9576

The dungeons reward too much for the effort they take. With the glitching, skipping and the berserker meta they take barely more effort than zerging the temples in Orr so why should they reward so much?

As we get much better designed content that may actually take effort and has a place for all kinds of players, they can either make that content reward more than dungeons, or they can nerf dungeons and make new content take its place. Looks like they picked the second option, most likely because the first option would risk causing inflation in the economy, but either way, dungeons won’t be the favored way to get rewards anymore, outside of their exclusive gear.

There is a third option, which would be to revamp the dungeons with mechanics that don’t look like they were designed on a napkin, but they would essentially be working on old content instead of fresh new content if they did that.

I agree that dungeons, as a concept, are more interesting than fractals though. The story/explore mode was a great idea. Hopefully, they revamp dungeons later as a free patch and then bump the rewards back up, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Only problem with your logic is that there is several easyer AND at the same time more rewarding things in the game. Lets mention a few:

1) PvP run into the middle AA and jump down. This is 1 of the 2 best farms in the game, and the hardest part is not falling a sleep.
2) Chestfarm in SW, again yeld alot more gold then dungeons and hardest part is to press f every 15 sec.
3) events in SW, close to same reward as chest farm but abit harder some of the mobs will actually kill you if you go afk.
4) champ farm in Orr/wherever. More gold then dungeons and it is so hard to press 111 on your bow..
5) Chopping trees/mining in ANY map. Again this will make you more gold then dungeons
6) dungeons.. finally..

(edited by Sigfodr.9576)

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

As we get much better designed content that may actually take effort and has a place for all kinds of players

And what content is this? Because you’re sure as hell not talking about raids (which deliberately by design do not “have a place for all kinds of players”).

If you are talking about raids, see below

Attachments:

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Though I can see how hardcore dungeoneers aren’t really bothered by the changes, it’s quite annoying for ppl that do some dungeons only every now and then.
E. g. I do may be max. 10 dungeon paths a week (usually even less) due to limited play time and the fact that too much dungeoneering bores me quite a lot.
In addition (though that’s just my personal bad luck I guess), I spent a couple of thousands of tokens just 2 weeks before the collection update hit (april 2014), forcing me to start from scratch, which was even more hurting when the dungeon collections appeared in september 2014.
So I swallowed the pill and put those collections on “long term goals” staple. Now reading that it will probably take even longer to complete them makes me just sad.

€: Alright, Q&A with John Smith clarfied my concern:

Q: What about dungeon tokens? As it stands, you need ~170 dungeon runs to get the complete armor/weapon skin set. Will they be nerfed as well?

A. No, they’ll be the same as before.

So it remains a long term goal for me, nvm, nothing to see here, move along….

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

(edited by Nash.2681)

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Wow, the amount of threads popping up about this is bananas.
We have like zero details pertaining to the specifics of these changes, so the “knee-jerk” reaction may be a little premature.

Dungeons will still drop things as well as they will still have some gold, they will just have much less gold.

“much less” is pretty kitten ing tbh

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

As I have always greatly enjoyed dungeons and count them as one of my main (if not the main) activities, I would like to throw in my two cents:

First of all, if you want me to play your new content, make it fun and worthwhile on its own. Making the current alternatives less desirable instead is setting the wrong kind of signals in my opinion. One has to question if you are not that much confident in raids and/or the fractal rework.

Secondly, in the light of f2p, shifting the focus to content behind the HoT pay-wall leaves me with the bad feeling that dungeons are being sacrificed for the sake of the expansion as well as turning f2p into paid accounts. As dungeons happen to be a favourite activity of mine, I do not feel overly valued as a veteran player who “grew up” with this kind of content.

Lastly, as John Smith answers the question about the intention to disincentivize dungeons with a simple “yes”, let me point out that you also disincentivize customers like me who have supported you from the very beginning. It is my understanding that raids are for a far smaller group of players compared to dungeoneers, so one has to ask the question of how exactly are you going to compensate for this? I know that the answer is supposed to be reworked fractals and no I highly doubt they will cut it for me personally.

If you are indeed cutting the gold rewards in dungeons, I would at the very least expect to be compensated with a token-increase or other kind of material drops. A grand “nothing” is indeed just a deep disappointment.