Deimos and Tank Teleportation

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

After having between Deimos this week and last I can honestly say that it is a very cool and good fight except for 1 very simple mechanic; the RNG nature of teleports. Specifically, the main problem is how the tank and AoE-kiter are included in those potentially selected to be teleported to the demon realm.

What this essentially does is give a 1/5 chance for every teleport to screw the group over. The only way to counteract this is to have your second chrono/off tank in zerk with 1080 toughness to sub (which is manageable but dumb). The real problem arises in how this limits AoE-kiter builds as if they put on any toughness they suddenly become the new tank. Now beating the boss even with this 1/5 chance is possible, but it feels like a design error that shouldn’t exist, similar to how it would be bad for xera to teleport the tank. This leads to a feeling of “unfair RNG”, something that is only really prevalent in KC with his bombs vs. ghost spawns. I’m hope that this is a bug rather than intended. Does anyone else feel this way? Does this seem like something Anet should change to make the boss feel more consistent?

TLDR: Boss is good, but the fact that the tank and the AoE-kiter can be teleportation targets feels like “unfair RNG”

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

After having between Deimos this week and last I can honestly say that it is a very cool and good fight except for 1 very simple mechanic; the RNG nature of teleports. Specifically, the main problem is how the tank and AoE-kiter are included in those potentially selected to be teleported to the demon realm.

What this essentially does is give a 1/5 chance for every teleport to screw the group over. The only way to counteract this is to have your second chrono/off tank in zerk with 1080 toughness to sub (which is manageable but dumb). The real problem arises in how this limits AoE-kiter builds as if they put on any toughness they suddenly become the new tank. Now beating the boss even with this 1/5 chance is possible, but it feels like a design error that shouldn’t exist, similar to how it would be bad for xera to teleport the tank. This leads to a feeling of “unfair RNG”, something that is only really prevalent in KC with his bombs vs. ghost spawns. I’m hope that this is a bug rather than intended. Does anyone else feel this way? Does this seem like something Anet should change to make the boss feel more consistent?

TLDR: Boss is good, but the fact that the tank and the AoE-kiter can be teleportation targets feels like “unfair RNG”

The only teleport I know is only happening if you fail to break the add at 25% thats completely avoidable and fine the way it is.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

GoldenTruth.2853

The only teleport I know is only happening if you fail to break the add at 25% thats completely avoidable and fine the way it is.

The teleportation I am talking about is the 75%, 50%, 25% green teleport into demon realm phase (where you fight dark Saul)

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

The teleportation I am talking about is the 75%, 50%, 25% green teleport into demon realm phase (where you fight dark Saul)

I never experienced that the tank or kiter got the green circle, but maybe I am just lucky. :/

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

GoldenTruth.2853

I never experienced that the tank or kiter got the green circle, but maybe I am just lucky. :/

You are lucky lol, as this happened several time when we were learning, as well as tonight.

I’m hoping it’s just a bug since a bunch of the wings are still buggy. But if it’s intended :(

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

Posted by: Deathtrix.5921

Deathtrix.5921

My team has spent countless hours bashing our heads against demi because of this. We have most of our good attempts in the first hour, and then the next 4 hours is us getting more and more burnt out, cycling through replacements who come and go, and ultimately hitting a wall at around 10-40%

Although it could be argued “working as intended”

One thing that is not working as intended though is tanking as a whole. I struggle to move Demios, and often he gets stuck inside phantasms and the NPC. It’s a nightmare for my alacrity uptime to have to shatter all my avengers just to get the boss to move 300 units…

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

My team has spent countless hours bashing our heads against demi because of this. We have most of our good attempts in the first hour, and then the next 4 hours is us getting more and more burnt out, cycling through replacements who come and go, and ultimately hitting a wall at around 10-40%

One thing that is not working as intended though is tanking as a whole. I struggle to move Demios, and often he gets stuck inside phantasms and the NPC. It’s a nightmare for my alacrity uptime to have to shatter all my avengers just to get the boss to move 300 units…

The issue is the area in which you tank him. Certain parts of the platform bug him out. Try the opposite side.

Deathtrix.5921

The issue is the area in which you tank him. Certain parts of the platform bug him out. Try the opposite side.

I’ll give that a try when we attempt him tomorrow. I’ve been watching some videos and everyone seems to tank him opposite where you start, whereas I tank him near the stairs.

Posted by: Loop.8106

Loop.8106

The tank shouldn’t get ported, that’s a comfirmed bug. As for the kiter, just have a magi druid kite in the meantime, or leave the minstrel tank solo to kite + tank.

Optimise [OP]

Posted by: Jubilant.7280

Jubilant.7280

I suggest the tank should have about 2,000 toughness as in the last two weeks since the update came out, I spent about 4-5 of those days tanking Deimos. Not once have I ever been selected to teleport.

I suggest having a kiting auramancer with decent toughness and two good magi druids, one focused on the kiter and tank/oil kiter and the other going down to buff/heal the teleported group.

If you’re encountering fatigue from fighting this boss, I suggest trying finding a tank, a kiting auramancer, an oil kiter and two magi druids pre-squad and just replace the PS or dps as they can be easily replaceable and have a minimum influence towards your overall group composition. Here’s a picture of what I did with my squad. Spoilers – we did not get the kill but after a few more attempts we did. So keep trying!

(P.S. I hope my post doesn’t get removed for spoiling the content)

Attachments:

Deathtrix.5921

I suggest the tank should have about 2,000 toughness as in the last two weeks since the update came out, I spent about 4-5 of those days tanking Deimos. Not once have I ever been selected to teleport.

I suggest having a kiting auramancer with decent toughness and two good magi druids, one focused on the kiter and tank/oil kiter and the other going down to buff/heal the teleported group.

If you’re encountering fatigue from fighting this boss, I suggest trying finding a tank, a kiting auramancer, an oil kiter and two magi druids pre-squad and just replace the PS or dps as they can be easily replaceable and have a minimum influence towards your overall group composition. Here’s a picture of what I did with my squad. Spoilers – we did not get the kill but after a few more attempts we did. So keep trying!

I’m running Minstrels/Nomad with 2388 Toughness, and in very rare circumstances I have been teleported outside of the pre-event.

We’ve done reworks and our final strategy is to use 1 Temp Flaker, 2 magi druids 1 minstrel chronotank, 1 zerk/commanders chrono 3 condi rangers and 2 condi pswars.

We’re leaving 1 magi druid up on the platform to take over flak and kite black circles and keep prides entangled or delayed long enough for the dps group to get back.

Our main thing is just trying to remove the mechanical overlaps that cause the wipes we experience. For instance when Demi smashes the ground during a teleport phase.

We’re planning on testing an engie flaker and tanking him in different section of the platform. Where I tank him currently he bugs and it becomes impossible to move off black circles.

Jubilant.7280

I’m running Minstrels/Nomad with 2388 Toughness, and in very rare circumstances I have been teleported outside of the pre-event.

We’ve done reworks and our final strategy is to use 1 Temp Flaker, 2 magi druids 1 minstrel chronotank, 1 zerk/commanders chrono 3 condi rangers and 2 condi pswars.

We’re leaving 1 magi druid up on the platform to take over flak and kite black circles and keep prides entangled or delayed long enough for the dps group to get back.

Our main thing is just trying to remove the mechanical overlaps that cause the wipes we experience. For instance when Demi smashes the ground during a teleport phase.

We’re planning on testing an engie flaker and tanking him in different section of the platform. Where I tank him currently he bugs and it becomes impossible to move off black circles.

Here’s how I did it.
flakker selected for teleport – Druid stays out (one that heals flakker)
Druid selected for teleport – Other druid stays out
Oil kiter selected for teleport – Druid takes over role temporarily

Now for when he does the slam, inform your whole party to not dodge and instead get hit by the knockback AoE. That way, all of you get teleported. This is my assumption that you are tanking the boss on the edge and not near the center.

For kiting the hands, make sure the flakker kites in “one” quadrant (even if it get close to the center, until the 75, 50, 25% phases, then you (the tank) move the boss to the side and the flak shouldn’t touch the center. Always try to call out when the flak is at the center or not so the druids can heal through them during bubble phase when they get back.

Note, if he becomes immobilized and doesn’t follow tank, just tell all your dps (since they’re all ranged) to stay near center while you and the oil kiter just kite left, right, front or back and repeat. You yourself don’t have to engage in the boss so he doesn’t do his auto-attack, just his AoE and bubble. He might occasionally bug out of the bug and move again, so just make sure you’re standing to the edge and a bit closer to the boss. (Oil kiter shouldn’t get targetted so he’s fine)

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

It’s painful with pug. I did mine many hours until I got into a team with good organise of back ups for kiter and tank. I had to backup kiting also backup man next to tank.. someone back up for tank too.. I don’t think it is bug I think it’s intended

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Deathtrix.5921

Here’s how I did it.

Now for when he does the slam, inform your whole party to not dodge and instead get hit by the knockback AoE. That way, all of you get teleported. This is my assumption that you are tanking the boss on the edge and not near the center.

For kiting the hands, make sure the flakker kites in “one” quadrant (even if it get close to the center, until the 75, 50, 25% phases, then you (the tank) move the boss to the side and the flak shouldn’t touch the center. Always try to call out when the flak is at the center or not so the druids can heal through them during bubble phase when they get back.

Note, if he becomes immobilized and doesn’t follow tank, just tell all your dps (since they’re all ranged) to stay near center while you and the oil kiter just kite left, right, front or back and repeat. You yourself don’t have to engage in the boss so he doesn’t do his auto-attack, just his AoE and bubble. He might occasionally bug out of the bug and move again, so just make sure you’re standing to the edge and a bit closer to the boss. (Oil kiter shouldn’t get targetted so he’s fine)

We ran again today, this time tanking on the south side of the platform. No issues moving him. There is clearly a problem with the Nav on the west side that was never tested. Since our condi rangers could now get in bonfire range without touching Tar pits we had an increase in dps, which meant less Flak. We’re using 3 healers so everyone is now trained to take over roles as necessary. Basically what you’re saying you do as well. The 2 druids are interchangeable with the Tank and Kiter.

The benefit to having struggled this much is that our team can basically react to most situations now very quickly, and we expect to get him down much easier in future.

Edit: I did wonder about videos with flak being kept to one section, it makes far more sense that way. Since one of the issues we had was getting combo’d by the Ward and the hands as they came back. We may have to use that method as well, but it means getting our flakers to relearn a few things. Definitely more to consider.

(edited by Deathtrix.5921)

Jubilant.7280

Here’s how I did it.

We ran again today, this time tanking on the south side of the platform. No issues moving him. There is clearly a problem with the Nav on the west side that was never tested. Since our condi rangers could now get in bonfire range without touching Tar pits we had an increase in dps, which meant less Flak. We’re using 3 healers so everyone is now trained to take over roles as necessary. Basically what you’re saying you do as well. The 2 druids are interchangeable with the Tank and Kiter.

The benefit to having struggled this much is that our team can basically react to most situations now very quickly, and we expect to get him down much easier in future.

Edit: I did wonder about videos with flak being kept to one section, it makes far more sense that way. Since one of the issues we had was getting combo’d by the Ward and the hands as they came back. We may have to use that method as well, but it means getting our flakers to relearn a few things. Definitely more to consider.

Great ^^ I hope you guys were able to get the kill and hope that you guys had fun killing the boss (because it is a really fun boss to fight against).