Delaying Patches Till Monday: A Faulty System

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Crovack.3761

Crovack.3761

While I understand in principal the idea that patching is not something to be taken lightly, we also have a playerbase that has been sitting on it’s hands waiting for ANet to fix it’s dungeons. From dungeons that simply could not be completed due to bugs, to others with exploits – the initial state of dungeons was abysmal. This, to an extent, is understandable. The fact that people in the same group can’t all get into the same dungeon at times still existing, however, is absurd.

The problem then worsens in when ANet decides to fix the exploits AND add a DR system to the game that is simply not working correctly. It hurts a HUGE number of “innocent” players. You’ve now made it to where people who were excited about the idea of doing dungeons finally, now find that they can’t get rewards from them. You then promise a patch for last Monday to fix this – and that patch doesn’t work.

At this point, a hotfix is more than warranted. At this point, if nothing else, you should REMOVE THE DR CODE UNTIL IT CAN BE FIXED. You’re treating your playerbase like some sort of communist regime that would rather imprison tons of innocents than let one guilty person go free.

I could, point blank, care less if others are able to for a short time run dungeons faster than the “DR” intends them to and get rewarded for them. I do, however, care that right now my friends and I are more and more discouraged from playing the game at all. Pushing back the next “this should fix it” patch till Monday and not even attempting a hotfix is just more evidence of the oppressiveness of ANet towards its players. You’re more concerned about the people exploiting than you are about the people who aren’t and your zealous attempts to fix the exploiters have harmed more innocents than is acceptable.

It’s decision like these that lose you players, and I hope that when Monday’s patch comes and there’s still some bug, that you don’t then just put off fixing it for another week. Some of us are trying VERY hard to keep playing your game in an enjoyable manner, but you’re making it very difficult. Even more so when you keep pushing potential fixes till AFTER the weekend and thus leaving us with one more weekend where we won’t be playing your game.

Posted by: deherch.3158

deherch.3158

+1
The current system is broken and should be removed until it is fixed. Right now honest players are being punished. I mostly play on weekends, so that means I’ll have to wait another week and MAYBE it’ll be fixed….

Posted by: Mr Prismatic.9578

Mr Prismatic.9578

Make a new character to pass the time, there’s certainly a hell of a lot more content in this game than dungeons.

If it really bothers you…
Taking a vacation from the game until it’s fixed would be ideal.

Posted by: deherch.3158

deherch.3158

I have multiple chars.. I just like dungeons becuz most of the heart events are too easy. I like taking on a challenge, but right now… it’s discouraging. Because after all that effort, it gives me less money and xp than doing heart events that require zero skill.
Playing 2 out of 7 days in the week is not exactly a lot, I paid for the game so why wouldn’t I play it.

I love what ArenaNet is doing for the MMORPG genre, Guild wars 2 is amazing.
But broken = broken.

(edited by deherch.3158)

Crovack.3761

Deherch, my friends and I are on the same page. We loved GW2 in beta, the combat system is amazing. There are some tweaks to classes that can be used for balancing and such, but all of that is typical mmo stuff.

The fact that an optional system (the DR system) is being left in place for weeks while it’s broken is absurd. It’s a mistake that it’s implemented at all when it wasn’t working, but it’s a choice to leave the system in now while it is broken. ANet is consciously deciding that they’d rather punish players who did nothing wrong than fix the problem.

Ask anyone who’s gotten 6 tokens and 2 silver for their first time doing a dungeon in a week if they care that others can clear dungeons quickly for good rewards: they don’t. They’re upset and not playing because THEY were directly hurt by this; and ANet continues to act as if we’re bothering them by wanting it fixed. Just look at how many new threads have to be closed constantly from people experiencing this – and that doesn’t even begin to include the number of players who are hurt by it via connection to others. In my group of friends, we’re going to go play another game rather than play one where some of us get full benefits and others’ get shafted completely, so now instead of 1-2 people not playing your game because of this, you’re looking at 5+.

There’s SO much potential in GW2 for it to be an amazing and groundbreaking game in the market the likes of which there is no compare. But Deherch said it best
“broken = broken”

Posted by: Shadowmoon.7986

Shadowmoon.7986

Since the DR system been added, I’ve NEVER gotten my 60 tokens. I’ve gotten anywhere from 10 to 45 tokens. Current system is broken and is a lottery. To add to the problem, the meta event on my server is broken. So how I’m stuck to leaving my character at the gate, using wvw to go use the merch so I can do the dungeon I enjoy doing, and NEVER getting my 60 tokens for completing it.

Posted by: Imani Hype.8235

Imani Hype.8235

+99999

It’s extremely hard to stomach this current situation because many players who hasn’t even exploited or speed clear dungeons are affected by this faulty and buggy DR. Crovack, you are right, I don’t give a kitten kitten about the DR system, but the fact that it’s affecting players who aren’t suppose to be affected, it’s frustrating to say the least. Every time I do a dungeon I’m always getting a static 15 tokens no matter if it’s my first time. We are the ones getting shafted and the short end of the straw. It takes every inch of my will to stop myself from going on a tangent on this forum because these dungeons are the “endgame” content. I actually like doing this dungeons because every other PvE contents I can do in my REM sleep with two pinkies.

The fact that they stated that this bug does not warrant a hotfix, it just goes to show where and what the mentalities of ANet are. There is NO sense of urgency to fixing something that’s been highly boasted about and praised as “endgame”.

Many respect lost for ANet.

Posted by: Helevorn.2953

Helevorn.2953

They should fix this bug on the DR system, on my first dungeon run in about 1 week I got 30 tokens from CoF Magg.
I will just wait till they fix this to run more dungeons, there is really no point in putting effort into completing different paths/dungeons when you don’t really know if you are going to get the full 60 tokens reward, 30 tokens or less.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

I dunno, if they removed these systems which are patches holding back a flood, we could end up creating a problem in which we create a gulf like divide between potential new players and current players which is there, but to a lesser degree

Irony…. xD

Crovack.3761

Better to kittenhe exodus of players. If there isn’t anyone playing, who cares what the divide is between what is left?

Posted by: Jaxichael.2590

Jaxichael.2590

Robert Hrouda
Content Designer
“We have identified an issue with the DR system that is causing the bug of rewards being incorrectly diminished. We’re actively working on the situation in anticipation for Monday’s scheduled patch.”

They are fixing it now. If they patched it now who says it’d work.

Everyone complains how they don’t test their patches – yet they want them to rush them at the same time.

Jaxichael, Sylvari Engineer of the Night Cycle

Posted by: miya.5160

miya.5160

Broken systems should be fixed immediately or not left in the game until they are.

Ideally, the systems should be tested extensively before being implemented to avoid such problems in the first place. If you can’t test before releasing, you should be putting all your efforts into implementing it successfully. In the long run, it might not seem like it matters, but players have a long memory. They will remember when a company they know and love does stupid things.

A running gag among my friends is saying, “Why does Blizzard hate its customers?” Because this was a post that we found funny. Now, we use it for everything. “Why does NCSoft hate its customers?” “Why does Riot hate its customers?” When Guild Wars 2 came out, we absolutely loved it. It was enough to turn the gag into, “Why does Arena Net love its customers?”

We don’t say that anymore.

(edited by miya.5160)

Posted by: Nebilim.5127

Nebilim.5127

I wonder what will happen if monday patch doesnt fix it. Will we have to wait another week? A month?

The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God’s decision that i fight.
As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

miya.5160

Yes.

I am pleased to inform you that I need to write 15 letters* for this to actually post.

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Agree 100%.

Stupid system is stupid. 15 letters stuff

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

You’re treating your playerbase like some sort of communist regime that would rather imprison tons of innocents than let one guilty person go free.

Funny interpretation of communist regime. Too many cartoons i guess

BTW, hey! It’s weekend, even devs have to go to disco, go drunk, find a girl etc.
They made loads of money with your accounts. Time to enjoyyyy.
They told us they are fixing, on monday “should” be ready and perfect. Maybe..

But hey, it’s weekend, c’mon. Deal with it, stop to play dungeons.
If grouping and DR is still malfunctioning, or new bugs pop , hey, just wait some more weeks, what’s the problem?
(I’m still wondering where 170 of 180 players of the guild i joined are, there are 7-10 online at best all day lol)

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

(edited by Lucas Ashrock.8675)

Posted by: Dace.3985

Dace.3985

Yes, I would much rather them remove the DR so exploiters can not only ruin the dungeon experience for others by making it harder to form groups that actually want to do other paths rather than the one that gets the rewards fastest but also ruin it for all PvE players by saturating the market with items and equipment they gained from said runs. That would be a much preferred scenario to having only an unfortunate fraction of players who actually run dungeons to be inconvenienced for a whole week in a game that is supposed to last years. I’m with you.

Lucas Ashrock.8675

We don’t know if the new patch will fix dungeon exploits. I doubt.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

Posted by: Acerolaorion.9320

Acerolaorion.9320

hmm…I don’t know what to say because I have no idea what they are thinking about lol

Kissshot·Acerolaorion·Heartunderblade

Posted by: Hayden.7920

Hayden.7920

@Crovack – Very well said, I hope the dev’s do read this thread and atleast just try to consider this problem from yours and many of our perspectives. A sign that they have done so would be comforting, even if they don’t intend to cater to our suggestions.

@Lucas Ashrock – Yes, it is the weekend. All the more reason to have the game running well, for many people this is their chance to get a good GW2 session in. I don’t see “it’s the weekend, let them run amock” as a plausible reason for delayed attention to these matters. Especially not to ‘disco’. and women aren’t a haircut, you don’t just ‘get one’ like that.

(edited by Hayden.7920)

Posted by: Inci.7560

Inci.7560

Oh no, it’s weekend and a game patch will take place in two days.

You guys are really spoiled, and I have no idea where that came from. I wasn’t expecting such a big patch so soon, and I’m looking forward to it. So a minority of us(Myself included) don’t get much from dungeons. I still enjoy well played runs even though the rewards are lacking, and just do something else for the weekend because I don’t feel like grouping with pugs alot until the rewards are fixed. Big deal.

I love Anet because they’re so close with their community, it shows with every single post. Props to the whole team and in particular you, Hrouda. Love how clear your posts are and how you always give people the reasons for your actions. Makes problems much easier to understand, and this is not something I’ve ever seen in any other game. Much love from me, and I hope I’m not much trouble with all my posting, haha.

Posted by: Hayden.7920

Hayden.7920

Oh no, it’s weekend and a game patch will take place in two days.

You guys are really spoiled, and I have no idea where that came from. I wasn’t expecting such a big patch so soon, and I’m looking forward to it. So a minority of us(Myself included) don’t get much from dungeons. I still enjoy well played runs even though the rewards are lacking, and just do something else for the weekend because I don’t feel like grouping with pugs alot until the rewards are fixed. Big deal.

I love Anet because they’re so close with their community, it shows with every single post. Props to the whole team and in particular you, Hrouda. Love how clear your posts are and how you always give people the reasons for your actions. Makes problems much easier to understand, and this is not something I’ve ever seen in any other game. Much love from me, and I hope I’m not much trouble with all my posting, haha.

I don’t mind that it will take till monday.. I could wait till next friday – but his justfication was that they should be allowed to just forget about all together simply because it’s the weekend.

Posted by: Bubbles.1047

Bubbles.1047

I think it was obvious ever since they banned people for selling cooking by-products, that Anet were way to religious about ‘exploits’. And I very much agree that broken code should be hotfixed out of the game until it’s working properly. Even though it would be even better to leave it out of the game altogether, I see no benefit in reducing rewards for your players.

Lucas Ashrock.8675

@Hayden : I was sarcastic

miya.5160

I like Arena Net too, but I’m still going to tell them what things can be improved, including how they handle things.

It’s in my best interest, as well as their best interest, to be friendly but also professional. How they handled the implementation of the diminishing returns system was god awful, and I think they realize that as well.

So I’m very happy to hear that they are doing extensive testing on the next patch, and they are going to release on Monday additional information about where they are going to be taking Guild Wars 2 dungeons in the future.

I might come off as harsh, but I really want Guild Wars 2 to succeed. You might argue that Guild Wars 2 is already a success, but the MMO community is fickle—it’s true. Diablo 3 made a few bad decisions with their changes, and people jumped ship ridiculously quickly for a highly anticipated Blizzard title.

Guild Wars 2 can be taken further. Your comments about people being spoiled help no one.

Crovack.3761

I’m not looking to be spoiled or treated special, I’m looking for a working product to be released. The DR bug is problematic enough to where it should have been recalled.
People have spoken about the difference between the “haves” and the “have nots” created by removing the DR code – but the DR code is WORSE than the prior situation. When you’re receiving 1/10th of the rewards for a dungeon you just spent 45 minutes doing – that means the “haves” are getting 10x the reward you are. That also means that, without DR code, exploiters would have to run 4.5 minute runs at the “DR bug” reward level in order to get the rewards of a non-DR bugged person.

My point: I’d rather EVERYONE got full credit and if people exploit they get banned, than for some random people to get full credit and a significant portion of the population gets shafted. I’d also rather see a makeshift “you cannot complete this dungeon again for the next 30 minutes” lockout than this complicated and faulty DR code.

I REALLY want to enjoy GW2. I want the game to be something fun to play with friends. I come from raiding pve background and my selling point for a game is the pve co-op. It amazes me how many people think that because they’re not as interested in dungeons that this isn’t a significant problem.

SWToR and D3 have proven recently just how quickly players will leave a game when they’re not enjoying it. For the most part we’ve gone back to playing Rift. If ANet ever manages to fix things, we may try to come back but the longer the wait the less likely we’ll bother.

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

The main reason is that they don’t have a solution ready. They are as clueless as ever and we will probably see some major kittenup on monday IF we eveng et a patch.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

Posted by: Graywolf.6513

Graywolf.6513

Main reason for DR being in even while bugged is because money can become gems and abusing runs can get you a ton of gems with which you can buy loads of account services or stockpile them for new releases, all on the back of a bug in the code.

Its not just prestige on the line, its wages and funding for the continued development of the game.

miya.5160

And there we have the Diablo 3 effect.

If the gem market were their primary reason for the DR system, they kind of messed things up for themselves by making dungeons not enjoyable for a lot of people as the majority just hit 80.

Happy customers have looser wallets.

(edited by miya.5160)

Posted by: seventhson.6932

seventhson.6932

Well the DR is certainly a band aid. But, whats worse about it is its a broken band aid for broken dungeons. Considering how top notch most of this game is I am really surprised by these poor dungeon designs, and instead of fixing them they put a band aid on the situation, using band aids as a solution in business is never a good idea, ever.