Destroying the swirler in Snowblind Fractal

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Bohantopa.5729

Bohantopa.5729

As of the patch on 16.3.2015 the swirlers hitbox has been changed and no way to destroy it has yet been found.

Old post hidden below.

As you may or may not know, the pink stuff atop the elemental source in Snowblind Fractal (from here on called the swirler) can be destroyed without destroying the source itself. As this can be done quite fast and the aoe swirls (therefore the name) will stop to appear, the fractal gets much easier.

Because most people do not know how this can be done, most pugs do not do this. On the right class I do this myself but I do not know a way to do this with every class. I hope you, the people frequently viewing and posting on the dungeon forum, can instruct me and every uninformed player viewing this thread on how to achieve a fast swirler death with any class.

So far I know some aoes placed on the ground around the source give 2 damage numbers, these aoes deal damage to the swirler:

edit: Thanks to Taku and the work of Immortal Kingdom [King] we know that the swirlers hitbox is somewhat less than 240 units below ground and therefore aoes with at least 240 radius should hit it. I listed appropriate skills below, not all traits were considered, if certain aoes get a radius increase they could also hit it. Skills marked “unsure” do have the appropiate radius but because of their nature might not deal damage in a sphere. Also some of these skill were not tested so trust this list at your own risk
Warrior:
Longbow: Combustive Shot
Longbow: Arcing Arrow
Hammer: Earthshaker

Elementalist:
Staff (water): Ice Spike
Staff (earth): Eruption
Scepter (fire): Phoenix
Dagger (fire): Ring of Fire (“unsure”)
Dagger (water): Frozen Burst
Dagger (earth): Earthquake
Dagger (earth): Churning Earh
Heal: Arcane Brilliance
Utility: Arcane Wave
Utility: Conjure Flame Axe -> Explosive Lava Axe
Utility: Conjure Flame Axe -> Ring of Fire (“unsure”)
Utility: Glyph of Storms (“unsure”)
Trait (Earth 3): Earthen Blast

Guardian:
all symbols if traited for increased radius
Focus: Shield of Wrath (the explosion when it ends)
Elite: Tome of Wrath -> Conflagrate
Elite: Tome of Wrath -> Judgement

Engineer:
Bomb Kit Bombs (if traited for increased radius)
Rifle: Jump Shot
Utlity: Grenade Kit -> Freeze Grenade (“unsure”)
Elite: Mortar -> Launch Ice Mortar

Ranger:
Lonbow: Barrage
Utility: Storm Spirit -> Call Lightning (“unsure”)
Utility: All Traps (if traited for increased radius and must be triggered by an elemental)

Thief:
Shortbow: Cluster Bomb
Shortbow: Choking Gas

Mesmer:
Shatter: Mind Wrack
Shatter: Cry of Frustration
Greatsword: Mind Stab
Staff: Chaos Storm
Utility: Mantra of Pain -> Power Spike

Necromancer:
Death Shroud: Life Transfer (“unsure”)
Staff: All Marks (do not trigger unless an elemental runs over them)
Scepter: Grasping Dead (“unsure”)
Dagger: Enfeebling Blood (“unsure”)
Utility: All Wells (only 2 deal damage if untraited)
Utility: Summon Bone Minions -> Putrid Explosion
Elite: Plague

If you find something missing or tested something which does not work, just add a reply I might check this thread again from time to time.

Thanks again to Taku and Immortal Kingdom.
Further Thanks to Spoj.

(edited by Bohantopa.5729)

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Posted by: Snowball.3497

Snowball.3497

The icicle on top of the Elemental Source has a hitbox that is placed 230 units underground. So any AoE that has a range of 240 or more can quickly kill it.

Examples apart of your own can be;

Thief
Cluster bomb (shortbow #2)
Engineer
Traited AoE bombs

Video explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO1-C1EwAgY

Taku beat me to it

Particlar – Desolation – [Hs]
World First Wurm KillRaid Sells on Twitch
Origin of Diboof

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Thank you I was wondering if there was a list of all class skills that can be used for it. All I knew was elementalist’s water #2 and warrior longbow #3.

Bohantopa.5729

Thanks for the video, it helps immensely.

I do not believe that everyone will watch it or know their skills enough to know which number should be bigger than 230, so i’ll go through the full skill list and try to fill it up. Some will probably be marked untested (Ring of Fire has a radius of 240 ie but i’m not sure if it counts as a sphere), Gonna take me a few minutes … done.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

For necro ive only witnessed wells working. But then theres no logical reason to bring a scepter or offhand dagger to that fight. I should point out that 3/5 necro wells dont do damage so they do not work.

Staff marks do not work as they do not trigger on objects. You would have to pull an elemental onto them to trigger them. CPC does not work as it has no direct damage.

Plague probably works. But it does such low damage its not worth mentioning.

Havent tested the others.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Huh, I’ve always wondered about this. Thanks for the video and list. You learn something new every day!

Bohantopa.5729

Thanks for the info spoj. I should have looked a little closer into the necro skills. Added your information for the marks and wells (I believe the live siphon works on buildings if one is traited that way).

I removed CPC, not sure if the swirler is a construct or not but as i had written i find it highly unlikely that it’s affected by conditions.

I know a lot of these skills are not part of the meta and that it really does not make sense to take a condition class against a building at the moment, but i prefer to give complete information. Also a Necro could still swap to another weapon set after the swirler is destroyed.

Posted by: Gruocs.3412

Gruocs.3412

Shattering phatasms and clones with your F1 (Mind wrack) skill works too. Sadly I dont have any video evidence since noone of my dngn/frac friend nor do I record stuff.

Hexagonis [HeX]

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

Shattering phatasms and clones with your F1 (Mind wrack) skill works too. Sadly I dont have any video evidence since noone of my dngn/frac friend nor do I record stuff.

I can confirm this

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Mind Wrack does work yeah. But you need to shatter 3 illusions at least twice to destroy it solo.

spoj.9672

Cry of frustration works aswell. Ive managed to kill it with f1+f2. But there may have been some extra damage done unintentionally by teammates.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Ranger:
Lonbow: Barrage (“unsure”)

I can confirm that Barrage works, I have done it multiple times and result= always works.

-Swiftpaw.

Taku.6352

Ranger:
Lonbow: Barrage (“unsure”)

I can confirm that Barrage works, I have done it multiple times and result= always works.

-Swiftpaw.

Barrage with signet of the wild is usually enough to destroy the swiggly thing solo.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Which class is the most efficient at killing the thing on top? As a thief I run out of initiative with clusterbomb b4 I can even kill it.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

Taku.6352

Which class is the most efficient at killing the thing on top? As a thief I run out of initiative with clusterbomb b4 I can even kill it.

Staff ele using water #2 couple of times then earth #2 and it should be done or engineer going rocket turret toolbelt, freeze grenade, big old bomb and few bomb kit autoattacks takes it out in few seconds.

spoj.9672

Well considering mesmer can immediately shatter both f1 and f2 with 3 clones and it pretty much kills it id say mesmer. And if that doesnt quite work mind wrack is on a low cooldown so you can finish it off pretty quick. I think also necro kills it pretty fast.