Difficulties with Dungeons & LFG

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Steelpusher.1684

Steelpusher.1684

[moderator removed offensive comments]

I had originally watched this issue arise whenever I was leveling alts within the first few months of the game, where people that are level 80 refuse to help out those who are not, especially when it came to dungeons. This makes leveling of new characters an absolute grind, as dungeons provide the best experience you can get.
I admit that I have not played for a couple of months, but my girlfriend has since got the game and we have been helping each other out. The problem is that new players are pushed so far away from even thinking about doing the dungeons now that Anet are not supporting new players enough.
Now, I managed to help get my girlfriend up to level 80 at last, with only one successful dungeon run in all that time. That was when i thought that it would now be a breeze and we could play whatever content we desired.

I WAS WRONG

We are still unable to play dungeons, even with the lfg tool that is meant to help such matters.
Why?
I found out that players are not just going off character levels when it comes to doing dungeons, but achievement points as well. Because my girlfriend has less than 1k achievement points, due to not having had the game for that long and having been unable to do the dungeons due to the ‘elite’ kittens
This is completely disgraceful of any players who use this ‘ranking’ system to determine who they want in their parties for dungeons. I mean, who do they think they are?! They apparently do not like challenge- they want everything in the game to be a breeze – they only allow experienced people to help them. Do they feel they require a purely experienced party because they play so badly that they would fail the dungeon otherwise? Come on people…be more accepting of other players…don’t go around insulting any new players to the game.

This is more of a rant than anything, but there are multiple solutions that can be done:
1) Anet hides achievement points
2) Anet alters scaling so that a level 80 scaled down to a level 35 (for example) actually plays not much different to a level 35
3) PLAYERS respect other people and their levelling up, gaining of acheivement points etc. and help out, no matter how great the challenge becomes.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not sure how ArenaNet created this. It would seem that it lies more in the playerbase’s hands.

Maybe if you LFG for other players that want to do the dungeons like you do, you will have more luck. Make your own group, rather than joining someone else’s. Just a thought. Good luck. =)

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Those people exist and will always exist. If it is not these things then it is something else. Not so long ago they were demanding to have the chance to check everyone’s gear.

I find them silly and annyoing, but I’d rather know beforehand. Do you really want to play with that type of people?

I do get where you are coming from. I am facing Arah Storymode tonight. Scares the living daylights out of me even though I have done that dungeon before.

(edited by Garambola.2461)

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Yeah dumping low AP characters in dungeons/fractals is pretty common, I see it all the time.

But thats what happens when people want a smooth run w/o hassle in less amount of time than re-training another heavy carry for an unnecessarily long amount of time.

Newer players to gw2 are in essence all but lost in this game, especially with the current broken economy.

Posted by: Qristus.9421

Qristus.9421

I’ll need to agree with you on most parts.
Tho dont let it take to mutch of your time, ignore all the achievement points idiots and zerk only groups.
Let them play with them selfs and try and finde people that enjoy the game in the same way as your self.

If your on an EU severs and need people that dont rush or nag give me a shout.
Wife and I are always looking for laidback people to do a dungeon with.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

• Option 1: join a dungeon guild.
  • Option 2: advertise your party through LFG as a newbie party looking for friendly run.

I leveled to 80 in about 3 weeks with no problems whatsoever from being a total MMO noob. I played how I wanted, including PUGing for low-level dungeons with other newbies. All it took me was reading what game said and common sense.

I played for a pretty long time, and now I’m an experienced level 80 and I do fast dungeon runs because doing them fast is my new challenge. I still play how I want, and please do not force me to play how you want only

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

I don’t think ArenaNet created the elitists, they’re in every game And they’ll always find a way to pick who they team with: gear, reputation… AP. whatever. On the other hand, everyone’s entitled to choose who they spend their time with, so you can’t exactly blame them neither. Just make your own group or join a more… “casual” one.

Posted by: Boshed.1530

Boshed.1530

As others have highlighted above, this is about the people not the game – it happens in all games regardless of design/genre – its just how some people are.

I would think the main reason they want experianced people is they can’t be bothered answering ‘newb’ questions and just want to get it over with

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

There are kittens likes this in every game, not just here. Sadly, they do seem to be becoming more prevalent in general, again, not just here. It is unfortunate that you need to weed through so many ‘bad apples’ to find the good ones that you enjoy playing with, but it’s worth it. Those people do exist.

In regards to your points:
1) Even if AP are hidden (which I have no issue with) people will simply find some other way to discriminate. What armor you’re wearing, what class you run, what weapon you’re wielding, what traits you picked, your pvp (or lack of) rank, etc.

2) This is actually something I’ve brought up a few times. Downscaling needs some tweaking, especially with the introduction of ascended gear, to make it feel more accurate.

3) This is the harder one to do anything about. Too many people hold the view that ‘dis is the internez yo’ and thus can do/ say anything they please. Then when people get offended by the abusive behavior, the community tells you to ‘grow some thicker skin’ like the behavior is perfectly ok, when in truth it’s not. Sadly, nothing will change until more people realize that everything is not ‘peachy keen’ and become willing to help make a change. In the mean time, all we can do it keep making slogging thru it.

My suggestions:

1) Join a social guild if you haven’t already. Usually you’ll have at least a few members that are happy to help out or run dungeons. You could browse the recruiting forum, or if you want something specific advertise yourself under the looking for guild thread.

2) Make your own lfg party, rather than joining someone else’s who might not have put all their specifications in their description. In making yours, makes sure you clearly state what you are looking for. (fun run? casual? beginners? etc) It’s a headache, but I’ve been there too

3) Try putting a thread under ‘players helping players’ to find other like minded individuals.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

You can always just post your own ad, without any specific requirements, you know. And enjoy that challenge “no matter how great it becomes” all you want. What’s the problem? This low AP thingy can become a problem in more challenging content, such as higher level FotM, but in most regular dungeons, such as AC or CoF, barely anyone will care as long as you’re not terribad.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

People judging players’ worth by the amount of APs remind me of people judging player skill on GW1 by the amount of HoM points they’ve collected – neither are as much elitist as they are dumb.
That said, some networking or joining a pve guild should help you solve the issue at hand.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I agree with what someone else said, joining a guild will give you the best chances of finding a party for a dungeon run without running into the elitists and people looking to just do speed-runs.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

For the record, pretty much every player who writes things like:

“zerk only speed run”
“zerk only PING GEAR”
“80s only fast run”
“experienced only no noobs”

Are just trash players. That’s not to say they’re looking for experienced players to carry them (though I have seen this happen), it’s just the players who probably think they’re good actually aren’t, and most competent players run with people of an equal skill level in their own guilds, they don’t pug. If I want to do a dungeon train, I ask in guild chat, I don’t put up an LFG.

So to be perfectly honest with you, you aren’t missing out on much. You’d end up being grouped with people who haven’t got a clue how to play their class besides thinking that if they stick berserker gear on they’re somehow better, while being experienced actually involves knowing your build, including both minor traits and major traits, weapon rotations and the synergies you rotations have with your traits in order to maximise your efficiency.

Whenever I pug (which is mostly Arah) I just write “lfm anyone welcome”, the group fills up quick, and if they’re good, big deal, and if they’re bad then I can carry them through most boss fights which allows me to practice my soloing skills, so it’s a win-win for me. If they’re newbies who want to learn and they explicitly state so, then I just teach them.

If you’re on NA then drop me a PM on the forum so that I can tell you when I’m next available and I can take you along to some dungeons or something.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: Warden.8927

Warden.8927

Add me, I’ll group with you, really don’t mind it. I’m in eu server tho

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

first of all, you are in no position to call players of a different playstyle “pig-headed” nor are you entitled to get into their groups. That being said, albeit harshly, I am rather sympathetic to your problem. Even a lot of the better players don´t like those “speedzerk, exp. only, 5k+ ap” groups as they are often not populated by the, hm, let´s say, most pleasant people. And there is always the very real threat of being kicked for some guild member or to “sell a path” in parties of people you don´t know. If you look often, you will be able to find the occasional friendly group that couldn´t care less about your gear and class. Lvl 80 is usually still a standard though – but the game really, really favors downscaled, geared lvl 80s. But that is a task easy to accomplish. Best advice: Start your own party or venture into dungeons with guildies.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

People judging players’ worth by the amount of APs remind me of people judging player skill on GW1 by the amount of HoM points they’ve collected – neither are as much elitist as they are dumb.
That said, some networking or joining a pve guild should help you solve the issue at hand.

I judge people with AP not because it’s the best metric to rely on but it’s the best available.

Who is more likely to not know dungeons? The guy with +10k AP or the one with 1K AP? 95% of the time it’s going to be the latter.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I judge people with AP not because it’s the best metric to rely on but it’s the best available.

Who is more likely to not know dungeons? The guy with +10k AP or the one with 1K AP? 95% of the time it’s going to be the latter.

I have a bit over 9k AP and I’ve never been in a dungeon except Arah story mode. I guess that would be the 5% situation then. :P

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

I’ve experienced the vast majority of players to be very friendly and patient with new players.

Of course there are those that want a fast and smooth run with experienced people only. But who are you to blame them for that?

Solution is what several others have said: Start a party and advertise with “New players looking for friendly run” or “Looking for someone to show us the tactics”.

Please don’t put a stamp on the entire GW population because of a few bad experiences, we deserve better than that.

Attachments:

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

Elitiest bubble? sounds like you and your wife CO-OPed the game, join a guild (i know crazy but it is GUILD wars). Mine helps out anyone running story mode dungeons and also with any problems they run into as well as helping out with fun events like guild puzzles etc.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

I think this elitist mentality is just the beginning of the end for pve in guild wars 2. Its a problem that immediately has to be faced. Lets be honest, the elitists have no reason to be act so high and mighty. They are doing nothing but running zerk builds and doing 1 of three things in dungeons. Mob skipping/corner stacking/or desperately searching for a way to bug the instance to make things faster. This is toxic to guild wars 2 and its a toxicity that has slowly been evolving for months and months. I don’t see it changing anytime soon either. I would understand the elitists mentality if they were doing something that was super difficult but unfortunately with they arn’t.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think elitists show up everywhere.

A guild mate of mine creates LFG requests that say something like “LFG beginner’s run, experts not welcome” in order to find a group of like minded people who want to experience the dungeon. Or alternatively, “LFG, I have 1k AP, if that’s not ok don’t join”

You will fill up your group plenty fast.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: GRexCarolinii.9604

GRexCarolinii.9604

I agree with others in that… A-Net themselves haven’t done anything to encourage this (though I do wish they would work on finding ways to remove the zerker-meta)

But I do agree with OP that there are a lot of players who are unpleasant in who they will kick etc.
my boyfriend got kicked not too long ago after the group wiped a couple of times (and he’s a very experienced Zerker player)

tips for finding nice groups:
look for ones that advertise as friendly, or welcoming to new players
advertise yourselves as friendly; and as new players

there are also plenty of players who are ready and willing to teach others the game – as long as you listen to them and want to learn
I personally prefer playing with new players; I like my dungeons to be casual and fun
and speed-running just ruins the fun for me

(and at the end of the day – AP are only the vaguest of indications of dungeon skill. I’ve known people with barely a couple of thousand be absolutely pros at dungeons because that’s all they’ve ever played; and I’ve also known players with near 10k dungeons completely mess up; because they play compeltely different content normally)

ps. - if you ever need a group, feel free to message me in-game ^^

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

1) Its a freaking MMO guys. Play with people, make some friend, join a guild. You gonna have all the help you need. They gonna want to go in dungeon with you, they gonna love help you, they gonna love show you all the little trick, they gonna love give help you with your build and your choice of gear, they gonna love play with you. If you want to play a single player RPG, there is plenty of them. If you like GW2, but just want to play by yourselves, then don’t complain about this kind of stuff.

2) People are seeing elitist everywhere. Its like the bogeyman. They see them everywhere, everyday doing everything possible. Now ask yourself, hey maybe they are human been, just player like me. Interesting, so why are they doing that? Are they just elitist scumbags, or they are a reason for doing that? I consider myself a generous person. I’m social and really like helping other people. In fact, that’s a big reason why I’m on the forums. If i see a grandma trying to cross a steet, I’ll help her. But if there is a grandma a every corner of every street for over a year and a half. Then maybe i’ll be less generous with my time. I’ll help out a couple of time, but not a everytime. Am I a bad person for that? I’m in the game to have fun and I consider helping someone as having fun. But when in 3 hours of GW2 i was only able to do 2-3 dungeon paths compare to the usual 8-10 paths, helping people become less fun. Now add to that the actions of some of these people. Someone who join a speed run, but clearly don’t know what the hell he’s doing. Someone don’t say he don’t know the path at the beginning of the run and you figure it out in the middle of a section when he don’t do his part and the party wipe. Still i understand that they do that, because they fear to be kicked. Its a vicious circle. Veteran kick noobs because they lie about their knowledge of the path, and the noobs lie because they don’t want to be kick. Nobody is the villains here. Its just two groups of people that clash sometimes. The fault is on the Veteran that don’t always use the best description in the LFG and don’t always stick to it. You should kick someone if you didn’t specified what you want in the LFG. Don’t kick a ranger if you didn’t put no ranger. On the other end, the new players have a lot of resources to get into dungeon so use them. Plenty of friendly guild out there, one of these guild was specially made to help those people to get into dungeon. Read the description of a LFG and Stop joining a group that you can’t fill the requirements. If no group will allow you to enter, make your own LFG. It may take a bit more time, but you will get there. And finally keep in mind that if going into a dungeon is hard for new player, you have not idea how i was at the beginning of the game. Nobody had ANY good build, nobody knew kitten about how to complete a dungeon, no friendly guild, no video on youtube, nothing. I spent 3 hours in AC and my guild was never able to complete the first burrow room in the path 1. My friends spent 5 freaking hours and were never able to kill Lupicus in Arah.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

The game is very casual friendly. Kicking be cause of low AP is ridiculous I admit, but if players are bad – or let’s say – aren’t willing to get better they deserve to be treated as that. It is like in real life. I can’t just be lazy and expect to deserve the same income as one who works harder.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Ditrah.5128

Ditrah.5128

It can also vary a lot between servers, servers that are highly ranked in WWW for example tend to have guilds with like-minded and progressive players. The attitude towards new players is less welcoming. The smaller servers is a better choice for a more casual audience and guilds to join. (I’m not saying this is 100% true for every single guild, but you get the point on why people join that type of server.)

Starting your own group is indeed a good idea and make sure you clearly state what you are looking for.
Check the forum guild-pages and see if there is anything interesting there to join.
Start taking names, add people that you come across and like so you can keep running dungeons together.

However I agree that for example giving some extra candy to those bringing a none max level character in their group would be a good idea. Doesn’t force anyone to do anything, but it might make it less of a hassle to bring them through.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The game is very casual friendly. Kicking be cause of low AP is ridiculous I admit, but if players are bad – or let’s say – aren’t willing to get better they deserve to be treated as that. It is like in real life. I can’t just be lazy and expect to deserve the same income as one who works harder.

I really wouldn’t use that example… because there are people on welfare / unemployment / workers comp / etc that make more than some people trying to scrape by working 2 jobs. So yeah, there are plenty of lazy people that con the system and make more than actual hard working people. Its not right, its not ‘fair’, but that’s how it is.

Posted by: FenixFire.1673

FenixFire.1673

@Steelpusher.1684: PM me if you want to run dungeons. My guild runs at least 7 to 9 a night. We also do runs for the less popular paths to help people get their Dungeon Master achievement.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I really wouldn’t use that example… because there are people on welfare / unemployment / workers comp / etc that make more than some people trying to scrape by working 2 jobs. So yeah, there are plenty of lazy people that con the system and make more than actual hard working people. Its not right, its not ‘fair’, but that’s how it is.

True, let’s see my example just in a paradigm world.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I have never encountered any problem like this. OP are you sure it wasn;’t just a coincidence?

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

You’d be surprised. How much achievement points do dungeons give you again? I have seen 15k+ AP people monumentally fail Fractals. They join at a high level one, die in ONE tick of agony and I ask what their agony resist is.

“What’s that?”

Someone at 3K AP came in to replace him and did better. Grinding dailies is not experience. It’s time spend in the open world. I will never join a party that capitalises on AP as if they actually matter. They’re filled with bads every time.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

People can form whatever groups they want and those who want to blitz dungeons want to minimize the chance of having to carry dead wood, although AP is a bad metric to use as far as I am concerned.

Join a group that is happy to see low level, low AP toons take part or form your own group.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

As a person with high AP:
- a lot of the times I’m in a helping mood. I know which dungeons are easy where I can drag people trough no matter their level or AP. There’s a lot of people like me, hence not every lfg requires AP. Try creating LFG yourself as well. If you titled it “new players run” even I bet you would get plenty of people wanting to join you
- sometimes you’re really just very tired. You have 10 or 15 minutes to play and all you want is a smooth run. AP does not guarantee a smooth run, but it increases your chances of one. I still remember getting stuck on CoF P1 last boss with 3 people bellow 1K AP that could not do damage, because all of them were wearing berserker, but couldn’t dodge, so they just wiped themselves immediately again and again and again despite my efforts to help them. I told them that if they can’t handle being squishy that even though it’s not the meta they should go with armour that has some toughness or vitality. I was told that I don’t know what I’m talking about. One of them rage quit, a warrior with 7K AP joined and we two manned the boss just fine. The key there was to stop trying to help them. When I have memories like that of course if I want a fast run I’ll ask for experienced people.
So don’t take it personally. There’s nothing wrong with you or your girlfriend. It’s just that we’re all working people and sometimes we simply don’t have time. However like I said, don’t be afraid to create an LFG yourself.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

@op

A month ago we had a friend start the game. We took her to dungeons etc. & taught her the mechanics and how to effectively use her skills/utilities/etc. but we started our own parties.

We had to fill the last slots up too but they didn’t have any objections whatsoever because we informed them either in the LFG or after they joined that we’re still teaching our friend(she was running full zerk and the meta build for her class from the get go though so it was tough for her but good in the long run).

So all I can say is start your own party, no one is preventing you from doing so. Write that there’s someone new in the party. If people don’t wanna join that, its not their problem because they are entitled to play how they want.

If you want others to carry your gf in a run it’s also fine as long as they want to do it.

It’s pretty normal specially in dungeons where someone has ran it literally hundreds of time already to want to clear it as fast as he can because what only matters for him is the reward.

It may also be the case that spending 1 hour instead of a 15 minute speed run is less fun for an individual because he doesn’t enjoy wasting his time.

It may also be the case that someone is okay to spend 1 hour inside a dungeon RP’ing with his friends and maybe trolling the run to get his friends killed in the process lol.

We’re all free to do whatever we want as long as we don’t break Anet’s rules.

And to be honest, AP is a poor metric for skill/experience, if people list for that it’s usually a red flag and you’re better off not joining those parties in the first place.

Thaddeus.4891

I told them that if they can’t handle being squishy that even though it’s not the meta they should go with armour that has some toughness or vitality. I was told that I don’t know what I’m talking about.

It think that a problem that we created (veteran players). We are talking so much about the meta and dps (with reasons) that new players take that knowledge and see it as the only answer to everything. Mix that with the fact that in most run, these new players get carry by veteran without even knowing it. That a recipe for these new player to think that they are good and know all the answer.

I saw that in my guild. The core member of veteran experimented the game and learned the hard way. For the new player we help them a lot with their build and how to do a dungeon run, fractal, ect. And they got good really fast compare to us. But then they started to do run by their own with pugs or giving advice to other people are sometime i’m like WTF. It was entirely on me and the other veteran. We show them their role in each dungeon, but we didn’t show them a lot of things that were easier for us to do (usually the harder stuff). I push them more and more to pugs so they can learn by themselves without relying on us. Now some of them complain about pugs (even when it their fault), but at least other hit a wall and figure out that maybe they have still a lot to learn about the game and improve.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

We are still unable to play dungeons, even with the lfg tool that is meant to help such matters….This is completely disgraceful of any players who use this ‘ranking’ system to determine who they want in their parties for dungeons.

Why do you care if other people tailor their dungeon running group to adhere certain standards? You wouldn’t want to play with them anyway so why force the issue? Stop forcing players to play with you if they don’t want to.

It’s so easy to just post an LFG and the party will fill fast. What’s stopping you from creating your own group?

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I don’t see what’s elitist about wanting to run dungeons well and getting the most out of your character. Join a guild, read some guides, and start your own special snowflake groups. Others who did the work are under no obligation to teach you.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I both agree and disagree with this…

I certainly understand your position, but like most, you’re failing to see other peoples perspectives. As someone who does dungeons daily as a means of accumulating gold, I don’t want them to take an entire day. I want to run the paths and be on my way to WvW where I enjoy myself most. But people like yourself who think they have some sort of right to push in to a group when they’re clearly going to be a dead weight are just as bad as those not willing to help these people. We all have to begin somewhere, and there are many times I will set my time aside to help certain individuals to learn strategies and what ever else they might be inclined to know. But when I have asked for experience in my group description and people completely disregard it, sorry… You’re out. If I’m hosting a party and I invite you to my house under the condition you don’t bring a bunch of friends and trash the place, I expect you to cooperate. I’m providing you with a place to have fun and be social, but because you believe you have some sort of right you invite a bunch of extra people anyway and puke all over the place after drinking too much. Which of us is the bad guy here? Me for limiting your evening or you for being ignorant?
The point is, you have the option to host your own group for a reason. Yes, there certainly are a lot of groups asking for “experience” or “zerkers” or “80’s” or what ever else, but there’s a reason for that; it’s their group. They are the host of this party and you are a guest in their home. If you want to set the rules, invite people in to your house and see how you feel when they start telling you what to do…

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

TooBz.3065

I don’t see what’s elitist about wanting to run dungeons well and getting the most out of your character. Join a guild, read some guides, and start your own special snowflake groups. Others who did the work are under no obligation to teach you.

There’s nothing elitist about that. What’s elitist is demanding that everyone who isn’t as good as you or doesn’t know as much as you stay off of the LFG tool.

As I’ve said before pugs are pugs. Why don’t the “elitist” join a guild and run with them? There are speed running guilds out there, just don’t ask them for help with a jumping puzzle.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Elitism existed in GW1. There will be codpieces in every game. If it’s not achievement points, it’ll be something else.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

There’s nothing elitist about that. What’s elitist is demanding that everyone who isn’t as good as you or doesn’t know as much as you stay off of the LFG tool.

I’ve never once seen someone say “stay off the lfg tool because you’re bad”. I’ve seen “read my description it says I want x and x and x and you do not fit that criteria, don’t join groups that have requirements you can’t fill”. So in your words, there aren’t elitists in gw2.

@your second bit you edited in after:

Why don’t casual non speed runners do the same?

Because the lfg tool is for everyone, and that’s why there is a spot for descriptions

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: VitaminK.2517

VitaminK.2517

I understand the frustration but on the other side i don’t understand why people complaining about “elistist” behaviour don’t open dungeon groups by themselves. Everyday when somebody opens a “all welcome”-lfg it is filled nearly instantly. Also i would suggest to avoid “5k fast run” groups and join a pve guild for more fun.

Last but not least try to think from the elitist perspective. It is not always pure arrogance behind this thinking, it is more a desperate thinking because of permanent failings with some players who don´t want to learn but claim to reach every step on the ladder.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

ac

As I’ve said before pugs are pugs. Why don’t the “elitist” join a guild and run with them? There are speed running guilds out there, just don’t ask them for help with a jumping puzzle.

Even in the original post there’s no hint of anyone telling the OP to stay off the LFG. The OP is simply mad about the amount of LFGs asking for a certain amount of AP or a certain level. I personally (just like many people here), don’t see anything wrong with it, because the OP is free to start his own LFG. This topic for the most part is just a friendly discussion.

TooBz.3065

I’ve never once seen someone say “stay off the lfg tool because you’re bad”. I’ve seen “read my description it says I want x and x and x and you do not fit that criteria, don’t join groups that have requirements you can’t fill”. So in your words, there aren’t elitists in gw2.

Because the lfg tool is for everyone, and that’s why there is a spot for descriptions

I do. I don’t pug. I run with guild members or I don’t run.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

It is unfortunate that I have to post about this, but I do not know if Anet are aware, or doing anything, about the pig-headed ‘elites’ that they have created within the game community.
I had originally watched this issue arise whenever I was leveling alts within the first few months of the game, where people that are level 80 refuse to help out those who are not, especially when it came to dungeons. This makes leveling of new characters an absolute grind, as dungeons provide the best experience you can get.
I admit that I have not played for a couple of months, but my girlfriend has since got the game and we have been helping each other out. The problem is that new players are pushed so far away from even thinking about doing the dungeons now that Anet are not supporting new players enough.
Now, I managed to help get my girlfriend up to level 80 at last, with only one successful dungeon run in all that time. That was when i thought that it would now be a breeze and we could play whatever content we desired.

I WAS WRONG

We are still unable to play dungeons, even with the lfg tool that is meant to help such matters.
Why?
I found out that players are not just going off character levels when it comes to doing dungeons, but achievement points as well. Because my girlfriend has less than 1k achievement points, due to not having had the game for that long and having been unable to do the dungeons due to the ‘elite’ kittens
This is completely disgraceful of any players who use this ‘ranking’ system to determine who they want in their parties for dungeons. I mean, who do they think they are?! They apparently do not like challenge- they want everything in the game to be a breeze – they exploit the dungeons and only allow experienced people to help them. Do they feel they require a purely experienced party because they play so badly that they would fail the dungeon otherwise? Come on people…be more accepting of other players…don’t go around insulting any new players to the game.

This is more of a rant than anything, but there are multiple solutions that can be done:
1) Anet hides achievement points
2) Anet alters scaling so that a level 80 scaled down to a level 35 (for example) actually plays not much different to a level 35
3) PLAYERS respect other people and their levelling up, gaining of acheivement points etc. and help out, no matter how great the challenge becomes.

So the cliff note version of your entire post was you want people to play the way you want or don’t play at all.

Let me explain something to you. No one owes you anything. Be it in game or out of game. People play this games for different reasons.

Many players have already put the effort in to learn all the dungeons and or content. Perhaps if you yourself invested enough time to look up the content you were trying to do and not be so obviously clueless in it – people would have less issues bringing you along.

This is nothing more then a pity party.

Hand holding is something many people aren’t interested in.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I do. I don’t pug. I run with guild members or I don’t run.

My point wasn’t directed at you but at what you were saying. Not everyone wants a guild, so speed runners and casuals alike use the lfg system and there is nothing wrong with them asking for whatever they want in that description.

I ask for fashionable characters. If someone looks bad I send em packing.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

TooBz.3065

ac

Even in the original post there’s no hint of anyone telling the OP to stay off the LFG. The OP is simply mad about the amount of LFGs asking for a certain amount of AP or a certain level. I personally (just like many people here), don’t see anything wrong with it, because the OP is free to start his own LFG. This topic for the most part is just a friendly discussion.

Yeah, I’m probably defensive. I’ve read too many posts that say “run full zerkers or you’re bad” or “s/p, s/f or you’re bad”.

Thaddeus.4891

Yeah, I’m probably defensive. I’ve read too many posts that say “run full zerkers or you’re bad” or “s/p, s/f or you’re bad”.

If you don’t run full zerker you are bad. But if you are bad and run full Zerker you are terrible. AHhhhhhhhhh i’m so confused, what should i do.

Posted by: MakJulos.6530

MakJulos.6530

Playing from start i learnt quickly that running dungeons (or anything) with pugs is a no-no in GW2 for me. I’m not very hardcore myself so not minding much when some newbie messes up things, but the loser (yeah in long run they really are lol) elitists looking for to only have those profs set up that way in group, whining when things go wrong, ragequitting when results aren’t what they hoped for…..brrr, they’re so many!

Ok, not as many now since Anet drained Underworld with their brilliant WVW plan, but they’re out there still i’ve seen, beware!

Not much to do about it, i’m not expecting this MMO to suddenly become nicer that way – to fix it one best try to find a nice guild to hang out with, and if it’s not nice and friendly enough, join another! And playing the game sometimes you meet good ppl out there, chatty ones, helpful ones – add them as friends, ask if they’re in a good guild, just keep at it and in the end you won’t have to risk ending up with the elitist pack.

There we go, some toes stepped on too lol

Swedish ex-SWG dinosaur, cheez doodles ftw!

Posted by: Annie Lu.6715

Annie Lu.6715

I think it’s fair to have the “elite” the problem is that newbies do not want to learn to play and pretend to be able to already know how to do everything. They should join a guild and find someone willing to teach them what to do. But why a veteran should waste his time to help a rookie?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Have many of you even bothered to read what you’re posting? You are contributing to the problem, not helping to solve it. Take a step back and look at it from another’s perspective, not simply our own.

The ‘elitisits’ are as much of an issue as those that simply want to be carried. One is not worse than the other, per se.

How is it helpful in any way to take the approach “why should a veteran waste their time”? How does help the people that want to learn at all?

How is it helpful to assume a player is bad because they don’t run berserkers, or because they don’t have 10k AP? Isn’t the player that stays alive more of a contributor than someone always dead? Someone in Valk gear that stays on their feet does more damage than the zerk that can’t dodge and is dead 50+% of the time.

I could keep going if you so choose…