Dredge Fractal(Game Mechanics Development)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jedi.4182

Jedi.4182

I wanted to talk about The most disliked Fractal in GW2, have you ever heard anyone say INB4DREDGE?! …thats is right im talking about the “Underground Facility” Fractal.

So, there are a few issues I have with this fractal that I am going to Identify and hopefully encourage everyone to produce POSITIVE discussions on how to overcome these issues with new Mechanics and/or simple changes for the encounter.

Before we get started, I am going to define “Artificial Difficulty” and what it means to me. I will be using those two words a lot in this thread. So to avoid any confusion:

Artificial Difficulty- When an Encounter has enemies that lack intelligent gameplay or mechanics to overcome, and are overwhelmingly powerful usually by greatly increased health and/or damage.

Getting Straight to the point, I believe most of the acquired hatred for this Fractal comes from the first room. Once you get past the first room the rest of the fractal is not that bad, and i can safely say I very much enjoy the either final boss encounter.

First Room Issues:

1. Mob’s Scaling with Fractal level is extremely Unbalanced.(Artificial Difficulty)
2. Certain Mob’s are Constantly Respawning.(More Artificial Difficulty)
3. Current Mechanic is directly going against the “flexible, fast-paced, and dynamic combat system”.
4. A lot of Terrain is being used for exploits and skipping sections of this Encounter.

1. Mob’s
We are dealing with the Dredge, a seemingly never ending mole-like race of beefy mole-like Creatures. As it stands we are constantly outnumbered and limited to only Reflection/Protection/Weakness to mitigate their damage.

I Would like to see a Re-balance in the basic mobs survivablity due to the fact that they are not “Legendary” boss quality

2. Respawn
In some rooms their ability to Respawn constantly is discouraging players to engage in any unnecessary fights at all. Add in the fact that there is no reward for killing Dredge Mobs, the average player desperately finds new ways to avoid doing the mechanic in the first room as intended and seeking new ways to exploit this Fractal.

I would wish that the difference between a scale 10 and a scale 50 should provide a slightly different mechanic that is more challenging as you progress. Rather than more Artificial Difficulty given to the mobs.

3. Current Mechanic
Players are expected to be immobile on floor switches and survive in order to make this mechanic work. However Most of your survivability comes from being mobile and dodging.
there is a huge barrage of attacks being thrown your way, why are we standing still for all this abuse?

4. Terrain
So far Anet has been very good at fixing terrain in this fractal, however there are still some holes left needed to be fixed in order to stop the exploiting routes for the first room. (I am sure this has been acknowledged already and expecting this to be fixed in the future.)

SAVING THIS SPOT FOR IMAGES OF CURRENT KNOWN EXPLOITS

Proposal:
My Idea is simple, I want to implement a resource to the existing mechanic which will hopefully rid us of the Immobile combat we are forced to endure.

Scale 1-30
The resource will be a “Rock” that you mine or find and kill the Dredge wielding it, place the “Rock” on the switches allowing to you move freely during the encounter while the “Rock” holds the doors open.

Scale 31+
You can make the resource a “Hot Lava Rock”, where you are required to pass the rock to your party members before placing it on the switch AKA “hot potato” mechanic. Very similar to the mechanic in Arah Path 4 with the Light orbs that damage you the longer you hold it.

There is a lot of unused area below the giant cage in the first room where we can obtain or kill dredge for these resources, the Party can start at the bottom and work their way up to main cage.

If Possible I would also like to remove the respawn of all the dredge except the ones in the double switch cage, or at the very least re-balance their hp and dps. Having the ability to clear rooms or certain sections makes the players feel accomplished rather than constantly annoyed.

I am Certain this idea will provide a new challenge to the existing mechanic and allow more dynamic gameplay when in combat. Add in some Fractal Instabilities and you will really need to coordinate to overcome this Mechanic.
————————————————————————————————————————

If anyone can come up with more ideas to provide a Rich and Dynamic gameplay to our Dungeons and Fractals, or add to my idea, Please post here and lets see if we can make an impact on the development of GW2 Game Mechanics.

JediMind7rix | PvE Enthusiast | Stormbluff Isle
Jedimindtrix(Thief) | Tíger Blood(Warrior) | Snú Snú(Ranger) | Elementalmindtrix(Elementalist)
“We can breathe in space, they just don’t want us to escape!”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Watch Obal’s YouTube videos for on mechanics very few people use. The more people that use them, the quicker runs will get.

Console Room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pury3dyGX20

Bomb Room

With Thief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALv58EmsTdU

Without Thief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?pury3dyGX20&v=_38rOY6Nl88

Turret Room

With Thief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YerTi1PM6YU

Without Thief
http://www.youtube.com/watch?38rOY6Nl88&v=yiQZEnNtrHg

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I agree that the respawning Dredge is the major issue here (in both the first room and the Bomb path). I’d rather that the Dredge don’t respawn after being killed (except perhaps for 1 or 2 Veterans on higher difficulties), allowing players to complete it by clearing out the room, then 1 or 2 people can keep the Vets busy while the others stand on buttons/run bombs.

Jedi.4182

Watch Obal’s YouTube videos for on mechanics very few people use. The more people that use them, the quicker runs will get.

Console Room

Bomb Room

With Thief

Without Thief

Turret Room

With Thief

Without Thief

Guides are nice and all, However that is not what this thread is about, I have sucessfully completed ALL of the fractals upto Scale 50.

The Issue is the current game mechanics are missing some key elements that can really make this Fractal more enjoyable. Please don’t post anymore guides, all i want to some productive content in this thread geared toward developing Better Challenging Encounters and Game Mechanics. I want to remove Artificial Difficulty from GW2

You can agree or disagree, but put some effort into explaining why and try to keep it Classy.

thx for reading!

Jedimindtrix(Thief) | Tíger Blood(Warrior) | Snú Snú(Ranger) | Elementalmindtrix(Elementalist)

Jedi.4182

I agree that the respawning Dredge is the major issue here (in both the first room and the Bomb path). I’d rather that the Dredge don’t respawn after being killed (except perhaps for 1 or 2 Veterans on higher difficulties), allowing players to complete it by clearing out the room, then 1 or 2 people can keep the Vets busy while the others stand on buttons/run bombs.

Yea i know what you mean, sadly I don’t really see the other sections of the dredge fractal to be a problem at all, just really the constant respawning all round.

After we beat the first switches room, the rest of the dungeon is a breeze if you know what your doing. I actually love both Boss encounters where you pour lava to give the boss a debuff and increase damage dramatically…those high numbers are awesome!!!

Ayrilana.1396

Guides are nice and all, However that is not what this thread is about, I have sucessfully completed ALL of the fractals upto Scale 50.

The Issue is the current game mechanics are missing some key elements that can really make this Fractal more enjoyable. Please don’t post anymore guides, all i want to some productive content in this thread geared toward developing Better Challenging Encounters and Game Mechanics. I want to remove Artificial Difficulty from GW2

You can agree or disagree, but put some effort into explaining why and try to keep it Classy.

thx for reading!

Well people who use the mechanics in the guide do not have many issues. The videos also were posted in response to several of your issues. The first one video obviously is directly related but I posted the others as I know they would eventually come up.

Whether you made it to level 50 or not is irrelevant due to the fact that there have been several ways of doing the fractals. Some are better and more efficient than others.

You listed one of the issues with the first room are the dredge constantly respawning (see #2). If you followed what was done in the video by using those mechanics, you wouldn’t have them respawning. The dredge only respawn infinitely in certain locations in the fractal.

Another issue you mentioned was the mechanic of the floor panels in the first room (see #3). The video I posted also addressed this issue and everyone doesn’t need to just simply stand on the panels and eat damage.

Jedi.4182

Well people who use the mechanics in the guide do not have many issues. The videos also were posted in response to several of your issues. The first one video obviously is directly related but I posted the others as I know they would eventually come up.

Whether you made it to level 50 or not is irrelevant due to the fact that there have been several ways of doing the fractals. Some are better and more efficient than others.

You listed one of the issues with the first room are the dredge constantly respawning (see #2). If you followed what was done in the video by using those mechanics, you wouldn’t have them respawning. The dredge only respawn infinitely in certain locations in the fractal.

Another issue you mentioned was the mechanic of the floor panels in the first room (see #3). The video I posted also addressed this issue and everyone doesn’t need to just simply stand on the panels and eat damage.

I understand, still this is the wrong thread for guides, I am not looking for ways to overcome the current mechanic. I want to collaborate with the the GW2 community so we can develop better game mechanics. if your interests lie elsewhere this thread is NOT for you.

Nothing against the guides I am sure they work well, but i still feel the Fractal really needs some improvements.

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t think you do understand. I’ve stated exactly why I have posted the guides and yet you’re still saying this is not the place for guides.

I’ll re-state my point in three different ways:

Version One

Just because people choose to make the dredge fractal longer and more troublesome than it needs to be does not necessarily mean that there’s something wrong with the fractal. The guides were showing that there’s a different way to overcome what a lot of people are struggling and claiming that there needs to be change as a result. Doing it the other way alleviates what people are struggling and have trouble with.

Version Two

People use method that make fractal more difficult.
People complain fractal difficult because of game mechanic.
They don’t know more than one way to overcome obstacle.
I post guide showing other way.
Other way show previous troubles not much issue.

Version Three

Addressing your initial post, which refers to primarily to the first room, the majority of players choose to rush into the console room. You may have some coordination where players decide beforehand which panel they’re getting and who will run the console. Other times there unfortunately will be no such coordination. Players will initially ignore the dredge and rush to their respective floor panels. The player doing the console will then rush and possibly gain aggro from the spawning veteran dredge. All other players will attack random dredge. This method has a high fail rate.

I know of a way that resolves two of the four issues you brought up. These are infinitely respawning dredge and issues with current mechanic. The video addresses the infinitely respawning dredge by showing that if you clear just one side, and kite the rest, they do not respawn. It’s also relatively simple to kite them for the duration of channeling the console. The issues with the current mechanics was also just addressed with the explanation for the previous issue. By killing one side and kiting the rest, the players on the panels and console should be safe and not have to worry about their survival.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

At higher levels everyone usually knows that to do, and still it takes a rather long time to clear dredge.

Ayrilana.1396

At higher levels everyone usually knows that to do, and still it takes a rather long time to clear dredge.

Then why do I constantly see people claiming it takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to do dredge when other groups can clear it in 30-45 minutes? All of which are on high levels.

FenrirSlakt.3692

Then why do I constantly see people claiming it takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to do dredge when other groups can clear it in 30-45 minutes? All of which are on high levels.

It all comes down to group composition. A group with a thief will clear it much faster than a group without. Not to mention that RNG also affects it. A group that gets turrets will finish faster than one who gets bombs.

Then there’s the clown car. This part takes much longer than it should. It is not even difficult, it’s just annoying. Being annoying is this Fractal’s issue, not its difficulty.

(edited by FenrirSlakt.3692)

Ayrilana.1396

It all comes down to group composition. A group with a thief will clear it much faster than a group without. Not to mention that RNG also affects it. A group that gets turrets will finish faster than one who gets bombs.

Then there’s the clown car. This part takes much longer than it should. It is not even difficult, it’s just annoying. Being annoying is this Fractal’s issue, not its difficulty.

Yes. Having a thief will help clear it much quicker. I’m sure you could do it in under 30 minutes with one. I agree that RNG does play a role in how long a fractal can take due to the bomb path taking a little longer than the turrets and the dredge car is definitely an unnecessary time sink.

I kind of wish there was an actual video of a group doing the dredge fractal in two hours so I could see what they were doing wrong. Anything over an hour just seems like it’d look like a lot of what we saw in that Fractured livestream when they demo’d the Aetherblade fractal and molten boss. There’s just such a large gap between the groups that can do it fairly quickly and those that take forever which makes me think that the issue doesn’t rely entirely on the design of the fractal itself.

FenrirSlakt.3692

But we’re not talking about how long people take to finish it, we’re talking about how artificial it feels.
It’s unenjoyable whether you have an optimal group or not.

I know everyone has their own opinion, but from level 1 to level 50 I have never seen anyone say “I sure hope we get dredge” non-sarcastically (and I run FotM on a daily basis). Every group I’ve been in hates that fractal. I even dare to say that there’s no one who would take Dredge over Cliffside, Reactor, Shaman or Aetherblade.

I am not against difficult stuff. I like difficult content and challenges and actively defend them whenever I get the chance and you can check my posts if you have your doubts about it, but dredge? That fractal is not difficult, it is just plain annoying.

(edited by FenrirSlakt.3692)

Jedi.4182

But we’re not talking about how long people take to finish it, we’re talking about how artificial it feels.
It’s unenjoyable whether you have an optimal group or not.

I know everyone has their own opinion, but from level 1 to level 50 I have never seen anyone say “I sure hope we get dredge” non-sarcastically (and I run FotM on a daily basis). Every group I’ve been in hates that fractal. I even dare to say that there’s no one who would take Dredge over Cliffside, Reactor, Shaman or Aetherblade.

I am not against difficult stuff. I like difficult content and challenges and actively defend them whenever I get the chance and you can check my posts if you have your doubts about it, but dredge? That fractal is not difficult, it is just plain annoying.

^

EXACTLY.

I am here to push for a change, I would like to enjoy the content and scrap the Artificial Difficulty.

Ayrilana.1396

Except this artificial difficulty is throughout the game and not just the dredge fractal. You see it in all of the fractals as you progress to the higher levels. You see it in the new world and living story events.

I know you’re not talking about how long it takes to finish. If you look back at my posts you would see why it was brought up. I can clarify it further as well. There’s a substantial difference between the game play of those that finish it quickly versus those that struggle and take forever to complete it. The majority of people that have complaints are on the end that take quite some time to complete it. One of the complaints is that the fractal is just too long.

The difficulty, or annoyance, in the fractal does get minimized the quicker you complete the fractal. Using better strategies helps tremendously with this as the run is most likely running pretty smoothly. People get frustrated because things are not running smoothly. It’s not due to the basic mechanics of the events (e.g. first room, bombs, etc); although the dredge car is an exception as it’s pointless. It’s not due to the dredge themselves. It’s due to their methods in overcoming the obstacles.

If a group decides to rush into the final cage, nobody knows what they’re doing, and they wipe. Yes, they will likely get frustrated and annoying. If they do the same thing, have people stand on the switches while killing all of the dredge in the room only to have them respawn and wipe the group; yes, I can see them getting annoyed. However, if they use the strategy of clearing just one side and being a little more coordinated, they may just find the fractal more enjoyable. The artificial difficulty only seems bad because people are doing the fractal in such a way that intensifies it. This is what I’ve been trying to get at.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

The dredge fractal is pain in the……and this comes from someone whose runs don’t take more than 40minutes.The 1st room is not hard and the coridors after that too.But after that the room with the hundred dredges that you have to kill is bloody insane…Nothing hard there except they are ’’billions’’…

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

the only thing they should do is stop the endless respawns, both on the first room and on the bombs.
the endless respawns is what make people to exploit and frustrate many people.

make it 5 respawn cycles on normal difficulty. and add one cycle for each 10 levels for 10 respawn cycles for difficulty 50.

the players will have choice, do a quick but risky run with coordinated CC, or slow but safe pull of each spawn.
then highly coordinated party will be quick run, the PUG will take longer but will not be as frustrating as its today.

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

Quick notice before real life whisks me away (might happen any time): I am not sure if it is wise to post images of known exploits, regardless of the context, it might result in you getting infracted or this thread removed. If I have anything to add when I read this in full I will edit this post.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Well people who use the mechanics in the guide do not have many issues.

Do you know that Obal has a hard time finding people to play fractals “the right way” for those videos?

With that in mind, let me translate the quote above: “the top players in the game still have issues completing the fractal the normal way but do it way better than the rest of us”.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Console Room

Bomb Room

With Thief

Without Thief

Turret Room

With Thief

Without Thief

When this fractal was released i said sitting on a button was a bad mechanic…i ws told
“l2p use spykits”
i answered: what will happen when they will nerf spykit?

When they nerfed spykits i was told
“l2p jump in the rear of the cage”
i answered “and when that will be fixed ?”

SAme for:
-ressing through wall
-portaling inside
-jumping from other 2 paths
-dying on buttons

Now its the turn for

“what will happen when they fix the respawn inside the cage?”

See you next dredge “fix”.

TL:DR don t justify broken mechanics….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Ayrilana.1396

Do you know that Obal has a hard time finding people to play fractals “the right way” for those videos?

With that in mind, let me translate the quote above: “the top players in the game still have issues completing the fractal the normal way but do it way better than the rest of us”.

Well if people want to play it in a way that makes it more difficult and annoying then that’s their decision. However, they can’t cry nerf as a result of it. It’s really sad if people would rather look for way to exploit than try a proven way that makes it easier. It’s difficult finding people to do it this way because they’re clueless that this method exists as most learned from the wiki or relied on previous exploits. The fact that people complain about infinite respawns shows that they’re unaware that these methods exists.

Ayrilana.1396

Console Room

Bomb Room

With Thief

Without Thief

Turret Room

With Thief

Without Thief

When this fractal was released i said sitting on a button was a bad mechanic…i ws told
“l2p use spykits”
i answered: what will happen when they will nerf spykit?

When they nerfed spykits i was told
“l2p jump in the rear of the cage”
i answered “and when that will be fixed ?”

SAme for:
-ressing through wall
-portaling inside
-jumping from other 2 paths
-dying on buttons

Now its the turn for

“what will happen when they fix the respawn inside the cage?”

See you next dredge “fix”.

TL:DR don t justify broken mechanics….

Um… yeah. Or don’t make up random statements to justify that there are broken mechanics.

LordByron.8369

well i was right last 6 times…you better prepare a vid without cleaning a side.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Well if people want to play it in a way that makes it more difficult and annoying then that’s their decision. However, they can’t cry nerf as a result of it. It’s really sad if people would rather look for way to exploit than try a proven way that makes it easier. It’s difficult finding people to do it this way because they’re clueless that this method exists as most learned from the wiki or relied on previous exploits. The fact that people complain about infinite respawns shows that they’re unaware that these methods exists.

WTF are you speaking about?

You say the videos show great gameplay to beat the flaws of the game. I answer that Obal, who makes those videos, has a hard time making those videos because even the top groups don’t even always use proven techniques. And now you answer some gibberish about something not in the quote. If you want to answer to specifics, please do, but don’t quote every post in this topic to say again and again what you’ve already said and most of people agree on.

Also, you’re using flawed reasoning. I complain about those broken mechanics yet I effectively know how to beat the fractal thanks to experience in dedicated group similar to the methods described in the video. So stop this kind of sophisms please.

I know you want to preach the good way of playing fractals, but please don’t front oppose everyone that disagrees only with 10% of your ideas.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Ayrilana.1396

Until they make it so that clearing one side causes respawns, clearly speculation and probably unlikely, then using it as an example of broken mechanics is incorrect.

LordByron.8369

Until they make it so that clearing one side causes respawns, clearly speculation and probably unlikely, then using it as an example of broken mechanics is incorrect.

You know this is possibly an answer i got already 2-3 times

Its indeed speculation…educated, basing on knowledge of anet behavior until today.

I was asked why should i expect a consumable to be nerfed, or why dying on button was not an intended tactic.

If they really meant players to clean half dredges they wouldn t have put a so peculiar respawn.

GW2 balance:

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Ayrilana.1396

WTF are you speaking about?

You say the videos show great gameplay to beat the flaws of the game. I answer that Obal, who makes those videos, has a hard time making those videos because even the top groups don’t even always use proven techniques. And now you answer some gibberish about something not in the quote. If you want to answer to specifics, please do, but don’t quote every post in this topic to say again and again what you’ve already said and most of people agree on.

Also, you’re using flawed reasoning. I complain about those broken mechanics yet I effectively know how to beat the fractal thanks to experience in dedicated group similar to the methods described in the video. So stop this kind of sophisms please.

I know you want to preach the good way of playing fractals, but please don’t front oppose everyone that disagrees only with 10% of your ideas.

I didn’t state that the videos show great gameplay to beat the flaws. I didn’t even say there were flaws except for the dredge car. I’m saying that the ways that people are doing the fractal currently are causing the issues. People do the fractals in such a way that they fail or find annoyance and assume there are flaws. When a better way is announced, it’s assumed that it’s just to beat the flaws. However, the flaws only existed in the first place due to the older, poor methods.

Well the issue is that not everyone is aware that there is another way. They see the wiki and assume that’s the only way. You can see this evidenced by very one that complains about infinite spawning dredge. You can complete the fractal in such a way that you do not have to deal with infinitely respawning dredge. If more people learned to do the “new” ways, or at least tried them, perhaps they would see that the fractal got a little better.

The first part of my post addressed your post. I don’t believe I addressed the second part though. I disagree with your assumption that people agree with most of my arguments as I have to continually defend them.

Please elaborate on how I’m using flawed reasoning. The “flawed mechanics” are easily resolved by using those methods. The example in the OP was the infinitely respawning dredge and those on the floor panels not being able to mitigate damage effectively due to not being able to step off panel. The method I posted showed a way to avoid those issues by using a mechanic in how that event worked.

Ayrilana.1396

You know this is possibly an answer i got already 2-3 times

Its indeed speculation…educated, basing on knowledge of anet behavior until today.

I was asked why should i expect a consumable to be nerfed, or why dying on button was not an intended tactic.

If they really meant players to clean half dredges they wouldn t have put a so peculiar respawn.

Well your argument could potentially be taken as a slippery slope logical fallacy. You’re assuming that because such and such happened then that would happen as well. I’m still on the fence as to whether it is which is why I didn’t bring it up in the previous post.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Jedi.4182

Quick notice before real life whisks me away (might happen any time): I am not sure if it is wise to post images of known exploits, regardless of the context, it might result in you getting infracted or this thread removed. If I have anything to add when I read this in full I will edit this post.

Yeah I was having second thoughts about posting screens, it just bothers me since there are quite a few areas of terrain you can jump your way around to skip switches and even have Mesmer blink inside and bring the party with a portal… i was going to suggest that Anet do some more patch work in these certain areas…

I would have to ask a Dev if that would be ok before i do so.

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

We use them. I said I will be doing it a bit different for a Warrior guide because of the party comp we will have which will be hard mode. The reasoning is that I don’t really want to make a warrior guide where I stand behind reflects and auto attack since it’s not a great learning exp for a class without this kind of support and it won’t be there for a lot of pugs. I plan on discussing better ways of doing things and what to bring instead if you have X in the group throughout the videos though.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You’re wasting your time unless you’re just interested in a theoretical game design discussion (which is fine). The devs have shown zero interest in improving the mechanics of this fractal.

Jedi.4182

You’re wasting your time unless you’re just interested in a theoretical game design discussion (which is fine). The devs have shown zero interest in improving the mechanics of this fractal.

Not to sure about that, I am confident we as players are able to impact the development of the game if the ideas are sound.

Not saying mine are good enough, but its a start..I would wish other players would chime in and see how creative we can get with improving existing mechanics.

that is the stuff i like to see